InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fish Don't Sleep ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Fish Don't Sleep
 
Author: Anonymous Fangirl
 
Summary: Back in her own time with a certain jewel beating beneath her breast bone, Kagome stumbles across a demon that has been locked away for half a century. Problems arise, and Kagome's sense of justice makes it impossible to just leave Sesshoumaru, the one person she would never have thought of as helpless, alone. (Sesshoumaru x Kagome)
 
Rating: Teen.
 
Pairings: Sesshoumaru Kagome. As if you couldn't tell from the first chapter and the summary. . .
 
Genre: Romance, Drama
 
Dedicated: Danni. Please don't kill me.
 
Etc: It seems I have fallen in to the every present Kagome/Sesshoumaru rut. I hope I get out of it soon. . . Maybe I'll take Daya up on that challenge fic and actually venture outside of the safety of Inuyasha Fanfictions and drift in to the every more popular Harry Potter fanfictions. I mean, I have a lot to go on. . . and I always have wanted to make Sirius hot. . .
 
Hmm. . .
 
But for now, let's focus on Fish Don't Sleep!
 
 
Chapter Two
 
Kagome scaled the stairs to the shrine with a sigh. Why, after five hundred years, no one had bothered to install an elevator system was beyond her. 567 steps - not that she was counting or anything - was far too many steps for a high school student to have to climb.
 
Kagome grinned wryly. She was getting out of shape. It used to be that she could back pack across the country side with her friends, fight the strongest of demons, and still have the strength to argue with a certain hanyou.
 
But that, she reminded herself, was a long, long time ago. Kagome looked towards the well house - something she hadn't done in a while, and took one step towards it, then another, before she stopped herself with a shake of her head. She couldn't go back there. She shouldn't have gone back there in the first place. Her existing in the past had very nearly changed history. . . if Naraku had succeeded, then it would have. She had been lucky that she hadn't changed the world once. . . but it wasn't safe to see if she could do it a second time.
 
But. . .
 
She walked up to the well house and touched her palm to the sealed doors. Kaede and Miroku had worked hard on these seals. . . it made it so that no demon could ever get past. It had made it so that no demon could ever repeat what Mistress Centipede had managed - to drag a frightened teenager in to a land that hadn't existed in half a millennia.
 
She missed it there. It was something that she could easily admit to herself, but she would rather die than to admit it to her family, who had been so happy to find out that she could come home - that the jewel of four souls was right back where it belonged - housed beneath her rib cage. She touched it then. It was her one link to the life she had left behind. . . her own link to the life she should have never had in the first place.
 
She turned and walked away, back towards the main house, feeling proud of herself.
 
She hadn't cried this time.
 
 
 
 
“Grandfather! Grandfather! I'm home!” Kagome cried out the customary greeting. Her mother was tending to the shrine store when Kagome got home, and she got out of school before her younger brother, Souta, so it was only her grandfather and her for at least an hour.
 
“I'm in the storage room, Kagome!” Came her grandfather's distant cry. Kagome tried to remember why he was back there - there must have been some reason, but it couldn't have been that he was cleaning. . . he did that last week. She kicked off her shoes and donned a pair of slippers and went back to the porch, curling around the house to the storage rooms.
 
“Grandfather?” Kagome called out once more as she turned the last corner. “What are you doing in the storage room?”
 
Her grandfather - a young 87 - turned and gave her a smiling hello. “We had a delivery today. The Tokyo Museum had selected our shrine to house one of their statues until they had another display for it. I'm sure I told you about it. . . it is an honor to be protecting a display piece for such a prestigious museum.”
 
Kagome didn't doubt that he had told her. . . she just doubted that she had been listening. Her grandfather had a tendency to ramble on about myth and legends, most of which had very little fact inside of them, and though she loved him, she very rarely paid his speeches any heed.
 
He had probably told her after he had finished one of said speeches.
And though Kagome had no recollection of him ever mentioning a new statue, she smiled and nodded. “Oh yeah, I remember now.” She said, wishing that a sheet hadn't been thrown over the sculpture so that she could form a good fabrication. As it was, she had no idea what the sculpture was of - and if he asked her questions about it, she would have to admit that she hadn't been listening when he told her.
 
Luckily, any questions that he may have had were put on hold when the phone rang and her grandfather waddled out of the storage room to go and answer it.
 
Now was her chance. Kagome thought as she peeked outside of the door to be sure he was gone before heading back in to the storage room. As soon as her Grandfather had circled the first corner she hurried back inside the waiting sculpture.
 
She looked up at it, still covered by the sheet. It was large - a half a foot or more taller than her 5' 4'' figure. She grabbed the bottom of the sheet - she was just going to roll it up, so that she could drop it just as quickly when her grandfather came back.
 
Pulling the sheet up the sculpture, she mused that the feet and hakama on the sculpture looked vaguely familiar - but that couldn't be right. She had only ever been to the Tokyo Museum once, and it hadn't been in years. She rolled the sheet up higher, and caught sight of the tip of a sword - one that she knew she had seen before.
 
But it can't be. . .
 
Suddenly desperate, Kagome gave up trying to roll the sheet up neatly - she simply ripped it off of the sculpture in one swift movement. She stared up in to the eyes of some one that she had once known - in a life that she hadn't really lived. She fell silently to her knees - she couldn't have made a sound if she had wanted to - and stared up in to the eyes of some one that she had never thought she would see again.
 
Sesshoumaru.
 
“Kagome, I'm back. It was your mother on the phone, says she needs some help up at the store.” Her grandfather said as he entered the storage room, only to see his grand daughter on her knees before the statue, wide eyed with shock. He looked from his granddaughter to the sculpture, then back to his granddaughter. “Kagome? What is it?” He kneeled down next to her and tried to help her stand up.
 
But she couldn't.
 
Kagome's hand slowly raised to her mouth, and covered a smile, just before she did what would have made any girl worth her weight in lipstick proud - she fell silently to the floor in a dead faint.
 
 
Anonymous Fangirl- don't you just love it when the heroine faints? I do! I just hope I never faint. . . that would be far too feminine for me. (Why am I so anti - feminine?)
 
My self esteem issues aside, review!