InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fish Don't Sleep ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Fish Don't Sleep
 
Author: Anonymous Fangirl
 
Beta: KuroNeko
 
Summary: Back in her own time with a certain jewel beating beneath her breast bone, Kagome stumbles across a demon that has been locked away for half a century. Problems arise, and Kagome's sense of justice makes it impossible to just leave Sesshoumaru, the one person she would never have thought of as helpless, alone. (Sesshoumaru x Kagome)
 
Rating: Teen.
 
Pairings: Sesshoumaru Kagome.
 
Genre: Romance, Drama
 
Dedicated: Danni
Etc: I'm drabbling
 

Chapter Three
 
I don't know why she fainted!”

“You say that it had something to do with that new sculpture?”

“I got a good look at it. It's creepy.”
 
Kagome heard her family's voices drifting gently in and out of her head as she slowly realized that she wasn't in the storage room any more that somehow, someone must have gotten her up to her bedroom.
She tried to open her eyes, but when she felt her eyelids resisting, she gave up. She didn't really care that much about seeing much of anything at that moment.
“So, do you think she's okay?” Souta asked. Kagome was vaguely aware that she felt his breath on her neck and knew that he had leaned in.
Someone's hand touched her forehead soft and gentle, well cared for, and hummed. “She has a slight fever. But she should be waking up anytime now.” Her mother told the other two. “We should leave her alone so that she can get some rest.”
 
There was a slight pause and her grandfather answered. “Yes . . . and tomorrow I think I'll lock that sculpture up. Causing problems. . . it's probably cursed.”
Kagome heard the shuffle of feet and her door open and close quietly. Muffled shuffling alerted her to the fact that they were going down the stairs and when she heard only silence, she slowly opened her eyes.
It was already dark out. Kagome tilted her head to the side and saw the numbers 10:47 blinking in green numbers besides her bed. She sat up slowly, but still felt a wave of vertigo.
“I'll lock it up tomorrow.” Her grandfather had said. Kagome put one leg over the side of her bed and then another. She had to see it again. No, she corrected herself. I have to see him again.
She opened her door a crack, and heard her family talking downstairs. Can't go that way. . . She turned to her window and walked towards it, estimating how hard it would be to climb down the neighboring tree. Inuyasha's done it hundreds of times. . . it can't be that hard!
She opened her window and sighed. Yes, it would be that hard. The tree was a good three feet away from her window. She couldn't make that jump.
She looked down her roof tilted at an angle and she levered herself out of the window, feet first, and took the small drop to the roof of the first story. There was a slight thump and Kagome glanced worriedly towards the front door, afraid her family had heard the noise on the roof.
After a few minutes of waiting, Kagome walked carefully, her arms out like a tight rope walker. She came to the edge of the roof and frowned. She still had to get down from there. . .
It wasn't that long of a jump, really. If she were to dangle herself over the edge and slowly lower her self till she was hanging to the roof only by her arms, she would only be three feet above the ground. Not a long drop. . . vertically.
She curled around the house and stopped above the laundry room. It had no windows, and she didn't have to worry about being seen by her family. Carefully, so that she didn't break the rain gutter, she lowered herself to the ground and landed with a dull thud in the grass. She hissed in pain when she felt her ankle twist, but it didn't deter her.
She was determined to see him again.
She wondered why she was so determined to see him. . . after all; he had tried to kill her many times. They hadn't really traveled in the same circles and neither of them had really cared for each other. . . actually, they had both tried to kill each other on a number of occasions.
She supposed it was because he was the only link left to a past that she had left far behind. . . and had always secretly longed to return to. Her family had tried to make her feel better when she came home. She had retold her adventures with a bitter sweet feeling she had always cursed the past and her lack of a life in the future, but now that she had a life in the future and nothing in the past, she wanted her adventures back. Life had been so boring with out Inuyasha and the others. And, if just for tonight, she wanted to see someone that she had thought she had left behind and if he was just a statue, well, that didn't bother her.
It was just nice to finally have a familiar face around.
She cracked the door to the storage room open and the soft hiss of rollers made her throw a quick, guilty glance towards the house.
Of course they hadn't heard it.
She hurried inside and shut the door, her back pressed against the cold wood as her eyes settled on the still uncovered Sesshoumaru statue. She walked over to it, slowly, and kneeled.
It only seemed appropriate that she pray for the thing before she touched it.
She finished with a slight bow of her head, and she looked up into the unseeing eyes of her would be enemy.
Oh how she missed them all, friends and enemies. She thought as she knelt down and lay against the hard stone that should have been warmed silk. She gripped Sesshoumaru's leg hard, and cried in to the stone. “Why did I ever go She sobbed. “Why had the gods seen it fit for me to go if I couldn't stay?”
She hadn't deserved to be pulled down there in the first place. But to have her grow to love a place that she knew she didn't belong, only to have her ripped and isolated from everything she had grown to care for. . .
I must have done something horrible in a past life. She grinned at the masochistic thought and looked back up at the towering Sesshoumaru.
He was as beautiful as she remembered. He had two arms in the sculpture; a possible mistake on the artist's behalf, maybe? Other than that everything else was the same. The clothes, the weapons, the eyes . . .
Which were currently focused on her.
Kagome jumped and then shivered when the eyes followed her movement. She shook her head and briskly rubbed her arms. It was an artist's trick. . . one she had seen in the Mona Lisa duplicate in her schools art gallery. It's just a trick. . . just a trick. . .
Kagome slowly approached the statue again and stood on her tip toes to see his eyes better, bracing her body with her hands against his chest. Her brow briefly brushed his nose, and Kagome stared, bewitched by what was at her eye level.
His lips.
Tears began to form in her eyes as she remembered kissing everyone's cheeks good bye. And just as she was about to jump down the well, Inuyasha had spun her in his arms and kissed her soundly.
Kagome leaned forward and kissed Sesshoumaru soundly, blinded by her tears.
She wrapped her arms around his shoulders, and when two strong arms wrapped around her, she didn't react.
All that she knew was that once again, if only for a few moments, she was home.
“Why!?” She cried out in utter anguish, forgetting for the moment that her family, who were only a few rooms away, had no idea where she was and weren't supposed to find out. All she knew was that she had waited for forever to tell someone, to have someone share her pain and now, seeing a sculpture in the likeness of Sesshoumaru, she knew for certain that she would always be alone. Alone and isolated. “Why in the world would god take me away? Why did he bring me there in the first place if I couldn't stay? She punched the sculpture lightly, but didn't lift her head. “Why!?
“Poor little miko. Still thinking that the gods rule your life.” Kagome froze. Sculptures didn't talk. But this one did. She felt him shake his head, his chin atop her own, and while she was frozen with shock, two hands soft as silk and old as time ran over her shoulder. And he made a chastising tsking click with his tongue. “You put an awful lot of faith in the free time of all unnamed deities.” Was his soft reprimand.
Kagome tried to hurl herself out of the would be statues arms, to see his face more clearly in the dim lighting. But Sesshoumaru`s, who was transforming from cold stone to colder demon, grip remained as strong as it had always been. Apparently, demons suffered from no discrepancy.
“Sess- Sesshoumaru!” Kagome cried, suddenly fearful. “But. . . but you're a statue!”
“Hm.” Was the only answer she received.
“You were a statue.” Kagome amended her breath short and fast. “You are a statue.” She couldn't seem to make up her mind. She had wished for this. Kagome realized. She had wished for this nearly every night since she had come home to have someone, anyone, who had been there. . . who could understand. But Kagome, being reincarnated time traveling shrine maiden, knew better than most the unluckily hood of wishes coming true. Sesshoumaru couldn't be here. . . the odds were a million to one!
“Indeed.” Another one word answer. He hugged her close to his body, and Kagome felt warmth spark up from him, beginning in his heart. A direct contrast to his legs, which were still petrified as stone. Kagome was far too surprised to object to his affections. But she wasn't so shocked that she couldn't manage to utter a single, one syllable word in to his collar. “Why?”
He was silent for a moment, and for another moment, Kagome was afraid he wasn't going to answer. But then, he surprised her. He seemed to be making a habit of it. “Do you know,” he began slowly, “how very, very long it's been since I've touched anyone, miko?” His voice was rough and deep, like glass and gravel, completely unlike the whiskey and ice she was used to hearing from him. She shook her head in response to his question, and his arms tightened yet again around her body. “Let me touch you.”
And she couldn't say no.
He pressed her to him as if he could draw any comfort she had in her body into his own and Kagome felt her breath shorten to quick gasps. Like a child who had had a bad dream. . . the thought seemed accurate. It had all been a bad dream, that they were alone, and they were finally waking up. She buried her face into his neck and his grip loosened lightly when hers tightened around him. She felt his pulse beat once, then twice, and she knew without a doubt, that he was alive.
“I haven't seen any of you.” It came out of her mouth as a sob. “I haven't seen any of you in five hundred years.” More or less.
It went unspoken that the same could have been said for him.
She inhaled a breath on her next sob and was struck by the familiarity of it all. He smelled of mists, fog and fire. How she already knew the smell was beyond her. All she knew was that she had always known his smell.
Like a demon she had never even met.
“I am so glad.” Kagome admitted quietly, as if omitting it was a sin. “I am so glad that you are here.”
Even he wasn't sure if she had been even a little bit aware of her admission.
And if he had cared, he didn't show it.
He was the same as he had been long before. Always the same.
However strongly they were loathed to part, the oddity of this situation struck them - a demon clinging like a child to a miko and when they slowly pulled away, a deep, unexplainable regret filling them that the moment had passed. A moment where it hadn't mattered that at one point, they were bitter enemies and when it came down to it, she still hated him. And he was just far too jaded to care. They stared at each other for a long moment without speaking. Her, because she wasn't sure how you greet an enemy like Sesshoumaru after so long. Because her loneliness was so great that she wasn't even sure he was still her enemy.
He didn't speak because he didn't need to. He was fine in his isolation.
But that fact didn't stop him from reaching forward, reaching for her body once again, with a frantic sort of manic desperation on his face. He took a step towards her and his legs stopped supporting his weight.
And Kagome caught him.

Anonymous Fangirl- Aww. . .tons and tons of metaphors for you to interpert your own way. ^^ Review!