InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fish Don't Sleep ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Fish Don't Sleep
 
Author: Anonymous Fangirl
 
Summary: Back in her own time with a certain jewel beating beneath her breast bone, Kagome stumbles across a demon that has been locked away for half a century. Problems arise, and Kagome's sense of justice makes it impossible to just leave Sesshoumaru, the one person she would never have thought of as helpless, alone. (Sesshoumaru x Kagome)
 
Rating: Teen.
 
Pairings: Sesshoumaru Kagome.
 
Genre: Romance, Drama
 
Dedicated: Danni
 
Etc: And now for another one. I think that perhaps I should put something philislophical here, since I have all of your guys' attention. It has come to my attention that humanity seems to be regression back in to a primal stage, much like in the -
 
Readers: Get on with it then!!!
 
Anonymous Fangirl: That was a lot of exclamation points. I'll just be updating, then. . .
 
Chapter Four
 
 
 
“Sesshoumaru!” She cried out, nearly collapsing under his weight. “Sesshoumaru! Are you alright?” She knelt down to her knees slowly, taking him down with her. “what happened?” She asked, leaning him against the storage room wall.
 
Sesshoumaru shook his head, as if to clear it. And then, to Kagome's immense surprise, he smiled faintly, as if absorbing the irony of the whole case. “I suppose it only makes since that I should be a bit weak in the knees.” Sesshoumaru said it quietly with the ghost of the smile playing on his face that she couldn't have possibly understood. “After all, I'm sure a common side effect of being made of stone for five hundred years could do that to one such as myself.”
 
And countless centuries of being made of ice before that. . . Kagome kept the comment to herself. But then the weight of his words - and the significance of the years - struck her. “Five hundred years. . .” She left the question unfinished, mainly because she wasn't sure it was a question. “I was there five hundred years ago. You weren't made of stone while I was there!” And after the kindness he had shown Inuyasha, she had begun to wonder whether or not he was made of ice.
 
Sesshoumaru nodded, and Kagome was almost positive that his eyes held sadness. “Well. . .” He began slowly, for it seemed that was the only way to go. “Let's just say that. . . a lot happened. After you left, I mean.” Sesshoumaru shook his head again, and tried to sit up higher on the wall, only to wince in pain. He settled for his uncomfortable locale. “Things weren't as happy as everyone had expected them to be after Naraku died. . .” He paused here, remembering. “It was the worst, I believe, for the shikon shard hunters and myself.”
 
Kagome's hand flew to her mouth, trying in vain to stop a quick intake of breath. “What happened? Are they all okay? I mean, I'm not too worried about Sango or Inuyasha, but Shippo's just a boy and Miroku just lost the Kazaana and they might be hurt or -“
 
“You do remember that they're dead now, right?” Sesshoumaru reminded her softly. She didn't speak again. He looked over her dishelved features, and groaned in pain when his eyes glazed over. His breaths were shallow, and he leaned in close to her, resting his head on her shoulders. For a moment or two, Kagome was afraid that he might pass out again. But then he lifted his head so that his forehead rested against her own, and his breath on her face tasted old and hot.
 
“I'm so tired. . .” He admitted, and Kagome paid attention to his forehead. He was burning up with a fever.
 
“Here, Sesshoumaru.” Kagome said, burying her arms beneath his and twisting her body so that he lay leaning against her back. “I'll carry you to my room. You can sleep in my bed.”
 
Sesshoumaru nodded against the smooth silk of her pajama's - cute ones with little tiny pink jewel like circles colored on - that her mother had put on her when she was unconscious. And then he did something that shook her so deeply she thought for sure that she must have been dreaming.
 
He thanked her.
 
Kagome froze midstep, nearly falling once again in her dazed state. She wanted to ask him something¸ but he had once again falling asleep.
 
 
The side door to the kitchen had been open, and her family had gone to bed sometime during the time when Kagome had been in the storage room. She thanked god for little miracles, and began the ascent up the staircase.
 
It was a hard trek, to be sure, but in nearly no time at all, Kagome was panting and leaning against her door jamb, a slumbering demon lord on her back. She turned her door knob and half pulled him in to her room, kicking the door shut behind her. She carried him to the bed, and, with much less grace than she would have cared to have, he flopped unceremoniously on to the bed.
 
He grimaced in his sleep, and rolled over, revealing the blades to her. Kagome smacked her forehead and cursed her own idiocy. Carefully, as not to distrub him, Kagome untied his sash and gathered the swords with the gentle respect that they deserved, and laid them gently down on her dresser.
 
She went back to him then, and examined his shoulder armor for long moments before she finally found the hidden latch that held it to him and released it. She carried the surprisingly light metal to the foot of her bed, exmaining it for a moment. No longer was it the shining metal that had served him well in many a battle - it was old and dull and a little rusted, with deep engravings and scars that showed it's use. Kagome ran her hands over it, and smiled when she saw that one scar - a deeper, but tinier one than most of the others - was shaped rather like that of an arrow head.
 
She had struck him.
 
She stood then, and went to face him. Leaning down, she brushed his bangs aside. “Goodnight, Sesshoumaru sama.” She whispered quietly. She was about to turn away when his left hand shot out to her, and made her topple atop him. Kagome blushed, and tried to get up with out waking him. But when his grip didn't loosen, she tried stirring him from his sleep.
 
But he didn't wake up, either.
 
Sighing, Kagome gave in to the inevitable. She would be embarrassed about it in the morning, she was sure, but it was futile to fight it. She had had a long day, and the scent of smoke was lolling her in to repose. She curled in to the fur on his shoulder, and that night she slept sprawled across a demon lord from a long ago time.
 
 
Anonymous Fangirl- That one was short. It was to make up for the lengthiness of the last chapter. Anyways, review. The next chapter's about six pages, whereas this one was only three, so I think you might all want to help me reach a certain quota of reviews!