InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fish Don't Sleep ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Fish Don't Sleep
 
Author: Anonymous Fangirl
 
Summary: Back in her own time with a certain jewel beating beneath her breast bone, Kagome stumbles across a demon that has been locked away for half a century. Problems arise, and Kagome's sense of justice makes it impossible to just leave Sesshoumaru, the one person she would never have thought of as helpless, alone. (Sesshoumaru x Kagome)
 
Rating: Teen.
 
Pairings: Sesshoumaru Kagome.
 
Genre: Romance, Drama
 
Dedicated: Danni
 
Etc: And now to bring a whole new meaning to the saying, “Morning After.”
 
 
Chapter Five
 
“Kagome?” She awoke to the slow curiosity of her mother's voice. “Who is that and please tell me why you are sleeping with him.”
 
Kagome opened her eyes, and made a move to get up. . . only to be stopped by the arms that belonged to Sesshoumaru.
 
In an instant, Kagome recalled the events of the night before and struggled to free herself while explaining the situation to her mother.
 
“This is Sesshoumaru sama. . . Inuyasha's half brother. Also, he was the statue we got yesterday from the museum.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi examined him, and her still struggling daughter, and her eyes narrowed. “What do you mean, he was the statue we got from the museum yesterday?” She asked warily.
 
Kagome managed to wrench one arm out of his grasp. “I mean exactly what it sounds like I mean. He was the statue, and now he's. . . well, he's not.”
 
“I can see that.” Mrs. Higurashi rolled her eyes slightly, and sighed. “I'll go make him some breakfast too.” And she walked out of the room, muttering something about the museum not going to like this at all.
 
Kagome continued to struggled, and wondered for a moment which planet her mother had been born on. She managed to pull the upper part of her body out of Sesshoumaru's grasp, and just when she was about to rely on gravity's pull to help her the rest of the way out by simply falling out of bed, Sesshoumaru's arms tightened around her waist and he rolled over, this time, sprawled out on top of her.
 
“Sesshoumaru sama!” Kagome screamed loudly and arched underneath him, trying to push him off of her. “Sess - shou - maru!”
 
She was panting by the time her brother walked in to see what all the noise was about.
 
Kagome barely caught sight of him out of the corner of her eye - his toothbrush hanging out of his mouth and his eyes staring in slight horror at what must have looked like something completely inappropriate.
 
“No!” Kagome cried, reaching for him, for the moment forgetting the sleeping demon on top of her. “Souta! It's not what it looks like!”
 
“Really? `Cuz it looks pretty interesting to me.” Was Souta's cocky response. He smirked - a half grin she supposed he picked up from idolizing Inuyasha - and turned with a wink. “Don't let me stop your. . . fun.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes, and swore that this day couldn't get any worse.
 
“Mom! Kagome's getting it on with some old guy in her bed!”
 
But then again. . .
 
 
It took her forty seven minutes.
 
Forty seven minutes of pulling and pushing and prying to get Sesshoumaru to roll over again.
 
It took another thirty seven to manage to grab a large plushy from in between her bed and her desk and have it replace her.
 
And it took far longer than she cared to remember to explain the whole situation to her mother and grandfather.
 
Her mother, looking skeptical, had believed her. Her grandfather, being her grandfather, was assured Kagome that things like this only happened in the Higurashi shrine before sauntering away with a smile on his face.
 
As if Kagome had any doubts about that.
 
Kagome ate her breakfast - it was cold at that point - and with one glance and two sighs at the clock, decided that she was staying home from school that day.
 
Mrs. Higurashi handed her daughter a plate of food. “Go take this to your friend. . . Sesshowari.”
 
Kagome felt a sweat drop roll down her neck. “Sesshoumaru.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi shuddered. “Is it really?” she asked a bit skeptically. “I mean, who in the world would name their child inner circle of death?
 
Kagome shuddered slightly at the cryptic translation of the name she knew all too well.
 
“It's not an entirely accurate name.” Grandfather Higurashi said as he walked slowly in to the kitchen, nose in a book and guiding himself only by memory. “Take a look at this.”
 
Kagome took the book from his hands and read the passage out loud for her mother to hear. “The statue, Lord of Dogs, was sculpted in the mid 1500s by an unknown artist. The only one of it's kind, Lord of Dogs was thought to have been a sculpture of a god, and it was rumored for a time to bring back the dead. . .” Kagome's voice trailed off, and she examined the picture on the next page. It was drawn in quick, amateur sketches, but it was drawn horribly accurately. Sesshoumaru, in all his glory, holding Tensuiga above the body of a dead man laying on a sacrificial alter. Her eyes darted to the caption, and she read it aloud. “Lord of Dogs resurrects the dead. Painted by Chiin Mei, 1647.”
 
Kagome spared a glance at the cover. Mythology in Art it claimed proudly, and was written by no one author.
 
“I wanted to look up some information on the statue. I mean, after you told me what you knew about our Lord of Dogs, I wanted to see what other information there was.” Grandfather Higurashi explained. “You know. . . in case there was any information as to why Lord Sesshoumaru was turned in to a sculpture in the first place.”
 
In case he had done something unforgivable to deserve it.
Her grandfather didn't say it, and she didn't allow herself to think on it for longer than she had too.
 
“But it says in all the texts I can find that it was done in the mid 1500s.” Grandfather Higurashi continued. “No name of the artist, no exact date, and no name of the person who orginally owned him.”
 
Kagome bit back the urge to say that no one could own Sesshoumaru. She knew she was being ridiculous and was grateful that she had stopped herself.
 
“He must have been. . . sculpted. . . about the same time that you came back here then.” Mrs. Higurashi said, shivering on the word sculpted. When Kagome thought about it, it was a bit distressing. And very, very disturbing.
 
Kagome gave a single glance at the ceiling, where a certain Lord of Dogs was sleeping. Preparing a plate of food - cold, of course - Kagome trekked back up the stairs and in to the den of the dog himself.
 
He was still sleeping.
 
With only one backwards glance to be sure that her mother or grandfather hadn't followed her up the stairs, she lay the platter of food on her desk, and rolled her chair out from under it and gave in to the impluse to watch him sleep.
 
He was white, and solitary, just like she had always remembered him. He as as he always would be, a figure untouched by time. And he was very beautiful.
 
He wasn't feminine, no, but the high arches of his face - marred only by four, thin pink scars - certainly didn't belong on a man. He's brow wasn't flat, like a woman's, nor was it very pronounced. It was a subtle blending of bone and skin, and it suited him perfectly. His eyes - which were, at the moment, closed - held no trace of the pink eyeliner that he had once wore to mark him as a member of the royal family. But above his eyes, beneath hair that was in sore need of a trim, lay a single crescent moon the color of an iris.
 
Kagome had always wondered about it. . . Inuyasha bore no marking like that, so perhaps it wasn't a mark of breeding. But Inutaisho, Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha's father, had bore a similar one to his. She made a mental note to ask him, and turned her attention to his hair.
 
It was silver, as was Inuyasha's, but it shone like a pearl in the dim lighting of her room. Carefully and slowly, as not to wake him, Kagome opened her blinds and let the light flood the room.
 
His hair lite up like thousands of shining stars, and Kagome's hands fell quietly to her dresser, where it picked up a soft bristle hair brush. She stalked over to him and manuevered him slowly, so that he lay against her knees. Only once she was sure he slept on did she begin to brush his hair.
 
It was soft, and it clung like spider webs to her fingertips. There were no knots - but she would have been surprised if Sesshoumaru would have allowed his hair to tangle, even if he had spent half a millenia frozen in time. She took her time brushing his hair, and revealed in the softness of it.
 
“Like the fur of a mink. . .” Kagome vaguely recalled feeling a similar texture in a fur mink coat her grandmother used to wear. Kagome took a handful of hair and lifted it to her nose with her eyes closed, and half expected it to smell like the old woman too.
 
But there was nothing womanly about this scent. Rich and heady, it was the amplified scent of him - and it was not in the least bit comforting. It made Kagome think of fire and fog and the unknown, and it caused her stomach to twist and wretch in perculiar knots.
 
Kagome dropped the brush and stood quickly, inhaling a breath with a hiss when Sesshoumaru's head plopped against the head board with a thunk. She didn't wait to see if he had awakened. She simply turned and fled the room, back to the safety of her mother's arms.
 
Anonymous Fangirl- Okay, I lied. It turns out that this one was only five pages. But it's a very nice five pages, don't you think?
 
(I am so going to send this story to Noacat to beta before I post it, so it will probably be longer than five pages when it's done!)