InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fish Don't Sleep ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Fish Don't Sleep
 
Author: Anonymous Fangirl
 
Summary: Back in her own time with a certain jewel beating beneath her breast bone, Kagome stumbles across a demon that has been locked away for half a century. Problems arise, and Kagome's sense of justice makes it impossible to just leave Sesshoumaru, the one person she would never have thought of as helpless, alone. (Sesshoumaru x Kagome)
 
Rating: Teen.
 
Pairings: Sesshoumaru Kagome.
 
Genre: Romance, Drama
 
Dedicated: Danni
 
Etc: Okay. You are all six chapters in to Fish Don't Sleep, and I thought that I might take a moment here to tell you how I was inspired to write this story.
 
You see, about a month ago I got a fishtank. I stocked it with an array of fish (I love that word. . . array. . . you never really get to use it. . . I think I'll try to use it this chapter. . .) and a frog. Well, my frog seemed to slip in to coma's a lot (yes. . . it's scary) and I kept calling the petstore to ask them about it. Finally, some idiot (probably that blonde clerk bitch who threw all my fish in a bag with their supplies) told me fish don't sleep, so it was probably dying.
 
Well, I thought to myself, that would be a lovely little title for my story!
 
Orginally, all that you are reading and what you will read for the next few chapters was a rather long one shot called sleep with the fish. However, I decided to break it up, and include the sequel in it. The sequel, of course, was orginally called Fish Don't Sleep, and since I had to pick between the two titles, I chose the later.
 
Now, I will quiz you all on this information (eventually), and so take it to heart!
And now, without further adieu, here is chapter six of Fish Don't Sleep
 
 
 
 
Chapter Six
 
Kagome growled in frustration as she placed her pointer finger against Sesshoumaru's throat for the thousandth time to be sure he still had a pulse. It was slow, and it was low, but it was there.
 
Of course he hadn't woken up when Kagome had dropped him against the headboard. . . that would have been far too easy.
 
No. . . it had been nearly two weeks - two weeks of her fretting that he would die, two weeks of her being confined to the living room couch - and he still had slept.
 
Kagome grumbled as she sat down at her desk to do her homework. “You would think that after getting five hundred years of sleep you wouldn't need anymore now, wouldn't you?”
 
She looked over at him, and wouldn't be surprised if he had been sitting there, staring at her, watching her not do her homework with those deep, amber eyes of his. She would have welcomed it.
 
But no. . . he wasn't awake, and her homework was in sore need of attention.
 
She didn't care.
 
Standing quietly - though she wasn't sure why. . . he certainly wasn't going to wake up any time soon - she took the few steps it took to get to her bed before she sat down on the edge of it.
 
She didn't bother to resist the urge to stroke his face. . . she didn't care that it seemed more informal than she would have liked. He was her link. . . her link to her memories. . . and for the moment, she was grateful for his company.
 
However much asleep it may have been.
 
“Sesshoumaru. . .” Kagome began, leaning in to him, so that she hovered mere inches above his visage. “Sesshoumaru. . . I need you to wake up now.”
 
And just to surprise her - and thinking back on it much later, she was sure that was the reason he did it - he opened his eyes.
 
And he kissed her.
 
To say that Kagome was shocked would have been an understatement. Here was Sesshoumaru, Lord of Dogs, Lord of the West, and Lord of whatever he claimed was his, kissing her in to a stupor.
 
It was then, weighed down by problems and worries that no high school student should have had to worry about, that Kagome finally gave up and gave in. And without thinking of the consequences of her actions, Kagome kissed him back.
 
Sesshoumaru was a bit disoriented about his whereabouts. . . he vaguely recalled a once - hated enemy awakening him from his self imposed prison - but other than that, everything was like a dream.
 
Her lips were soft and pliant, even above his own.
 
He groaned and leaned up on his elbows, knocking her on her side and trapping her against the wall. He fell on her, careful to keep his weight from crushing her frail, all-too-human form.
 
He kissed her like a man dying of thirst.
 
He took long, slow sips of her in to him, savoring each drop. She was a poison. . . and she was the only antidote. . . and every taste of her needed another long, cool swallow.
 
“Kagome. . .”
 
Something about the way he whispered her name. . . something in the husky, out of character drawl made her shiver and remember.
 
Kagome shot out of his arms - out of her bed - like a bullet and made a move to fix her clothes. “I'm sorry!” She exclaimed quickly, though that reason she was so sorry was beyond her. It just seemed like the right thing to say at that particular moment. “I'm sorry! You were sleeping, and I was trying to wake you, and-“
 
“How long?” Sesshoumaru asked, his voice soft and calm and deep once more. He sat up and stared out of her window, fascinated with the movements of a turtle dove that was chirping merrily on a tree branch.
 
He was beautiful. . . Kagome knew she had thought it before, when he had been sleeping. . . but this. . .
 
He was pondering. . . thinking on something. Perhaps, she mused, he was remembering. Remembering something that she couldn't have possibly understood. Remembering something that was pointless to remember at this point. Remembering something that would never be pointless to him.
 
He could have been a model. He should have been a model. His features were perfect for it, if he was not a bit on the skinny side. For all his strength and muscles, Kagome couldn't believe how very thin he actually was. . . most of his power came from his massive height, and not from girth. In fact, if she were to try, she was sure that she could wrap her hands around his upper arms.
 
He was waiting for her to answer.
 
“How long what, Sesshoumaru?” Was her rather belated response.
 
But if he had noticed her inattention, he made no mention of it. “How long was I asleep?” Sesshoumaru asked again.
 
Kagome studied him very carefully. Perhaps it was just her. . . perhaps. . . but he seemed to be holding his breath for some reason.
 
“You've been out for nearly two weeks.” Kagome informed him, picking up her pencil and staring at her unmarred homework sheet. Not that she planned on working on it or anything. . . “I've watched over you most of the time.” She continued, trying to solve the complicated math problem in her head. “But I had to go to school, and while I was gone, my mother and my grandfather took turns checking up on you. You had a terribly fever most of the time, and -“
 
“So. . . you didn't go anywhere?” Sesshoumaru asked. Kagome looked up and was a bit startled to see that he was no longer studying the bird.
 
It was her those deep gold eyes were focused on.
 
Kagome shuddered, nodded. “Yes.”
 
“You. . . didn't see anyone of importance, did you?”
 
Kagome thought on his meaning, but shook her head. “Not particularly. . . why? Is someone after you?”
 
Sesshoumaru shook his head, and turned to look back out the window. “No.” He said, a bit morbidly. “No one even knows that I'm gone.”
 
He leaned back against the head rest, and his eyes drifted slowly shut.
 
“Wait.” Kagome whispered hesitantly.
 
Sesshoumaru didn't wait. . . but he didn't fall asleep, either.
 
“If you go back to sleep, you'll wake up again, right?” Kagome asked him nervously, moving from her soft roller chair to the softer comforter that lay on her matress. She lay a single hand on his leg and didn't take her eyes off of his face - a face which could have already been asleep. “I mean. . . you won't turn back in to stone, will you?” Her hand sought his desperately atop the covers. “You'll wake up if I need you, right?”
 
“And why would you need me, Kagome?”
 
The way he said her name sent shivers like pinpricks up her back. She shook away the feeling and stood abruptly, not bothering to explain herself.
 
She paused in her doorway, and, leaning against the jamb, she turned back to him. “Just in case. . .” She told him, and walked out with out bothering to shut the door behind her.
 
He waited until she had walked down the stairs and out the side door of the kitchen before he replied back with a oracular grin. “As you wish, milady.”
 
 
Anonymous Fangirl- Was that cryptic enough for you all?
 
Oh. And damn. I didn't use the word array. But I used it in class today and totally just burst out laughing, making a huge scene in the middle of a horrible, grusome WWII movie. I think people think I am like, a joy sucking demoness or something. . .