InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ For the Love of a Miko ❯ The Death of a Miko ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hehehe....um yeah.

Disclaimer: Nope don't own em'....for more info c previous chapters.*_*

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````

RECAP:

Inuyasha gave his previous opponent a look of curiosity until his eyes fell on the source of the vile smell. His face went cold and blank as he looked upon his former lover. "Ki...Kikyo..." He stammered. Had his nose steared him astray? How was it that she smelled just like Naraku, instead of her trademark bone and earth? He tested the air one more and found his sences to be correct. Inuyasha was at a loss for words, Kouga wasn't however.

"I will help you no more wench. Whatever deal you had with me ended the moment I brought them back! "

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````

For the Love of a Miko

Chapter 8: The death of a miko

Kaede was awakened by the sound of tearful cries. She lifted herself from her little cot and her heart jumped into her throat. Kagome's limp form was being cradled by Sango, and Shippo. She moved over to the friends and checked for her 'grandaughter's' pulse. It was faint, but there nonetheless. The old woman began to breath once more. Her companions gave her glances that were lined with questions.

"Will she be ok? Please tell me she's alright Kaede." Sango's voice shook with emotion. She knew her sister wasn't dead, but with the way her head had hit, Sango fealt that she could have sustained serious damage. Shippo was too distraut to do anything but mumble to his surrogate mother. "Mommy please be ok, why don't you wake up? Wake up mommy. Please wake up..." Shippo chanted between quiet sobbs. He continuously tugged on her arm, trying to get a rise from her to no avail.

Kaede and Sango looked at the kit. How could one so young have to suffer so much. Was he going to have to loose another parent? This should not be happening with one as young as he.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````````

"Come to me Inuyasha." Kikyo said matter-of-factly. She took a step toward the hanyo and extended her hand.

"Kikyo...wh..why do you smell like Naraku?" Inuyasha asked as he began to walk to the undead woman.

"I will explain everything, my love."

Kouga couldn't hold back his suprise and disgust. He watched as his opponent walked away from the village with Kikyo. He shook his head and turned back to the hut where Kagome was still fading away. Miroku stepped out to block his path. He held his staff up and took a stance. Miroku had seen everything, but cared not. All he wanted to know was where Sango was.

"Where is she wolf...what have you done to her!" Miroku knew that he was no match for the wolf youkai, but he would do everything in his power to make sure his love was safe...even if it meant loosing his life in the process.

"They are safe inside the hut behind you houshi. Kagome is hurt, move out of my way willingly or else I shall move you with force. He did not want to have to hurt anybody else. There was no need to inflict more damage, but he could smell Kagome's blood, and there was no way he was going to let a human get in his way.

Miroku didn't let the wolf finish his statement. Without a word he flew into the hut to check on his friends. What he came upon made his heart stop.

Kagome was so pale she rivaled Kikyo. In fact Miroku thought she was dead at first. Sango held her, and Shippo and Kaede kept vigil by her side. They did not notice him come in, and if they had, they did not acknowledge his presence. Kouga entered right after the monk. The look on his face, a boiling pot of grief, loss, anger, pain. Sango lifted her hand from behind Kagome's head. To everyone's suprise, except Kouga's, the exterminator's hand was covered in blood. Kagome's blood.

Shippo refused to believe that his mother was leaving him. Instead of giving in to grief like the others, he tried harder than ever to wake her. "Why are you guys crying?" Asked Shippo, "She promised she would never leave me. Don't worry she'll wake up, you just have to shake her harder. She gets like this when that baka Inuyasha makes us walk for a long time. She'll wake up, she always does." The kit jumped onto Kagome's chest and began bouncing up and down screaming for Kagome to wake up. His attempts were futile. She didn't even budge.

Worry lined everyone's faces as Miroku and Kouga took up places around Kagome. Her pulse became weaker with every beat. She wouldn't be among them much longer.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````

Inuyasha and Kikyo made their way to the god tree. 'This is where she sealed me, and Kagome released me,' thought Inuyasha, 'don't think about her, you're here where you belong...with Kikyo.' He was torn from his reverie by a pair of ice cold arms wrapping themselves around his neck. He looked down at his woman. Questions filled his mind. Those questions needed answers whether he wanted to hear them or not. Inuyasha picked Kikyo up into his arms, and lept into the highest branches of the fabled tree.

When they reached the peak of the tree, Inuyasha set Kikyo down and took a perch next to her. He stared at the moon, trying to straighten the questions in his head to an understandable array. He looked at her and fealt a pang in his chest. She looked just like she did when her arrow pierced his heart fifty years ago. This child-like girl who had spared his life, and befriended him. The miko that had purified his heart towards love. This woman that he was willing to become human for, and now venture into hell to be with.

After some time, he spoke. "Why do you smell like Naraku? What has he done to you?"

Kikyo tore her stare away from the stars. She looked down at the ground so far below her feet. After some thought to how she could answer, and keep the hanyo willing to go to hell with her, she spoke. "Remember when I told you Onigumo would not allow Naraku to kill me?" She started. "Yeah I remember," Inuyasha answered. "I was right. He could not kill me, so instead he absorbed me." She continued. "I was never so scared in my life. Luckily, his corrupt body could not withstand my miko powers. He instead turned me into one of his incarnations. He gave me a new body, one that no longer needs souls to sustain it, but he now holds my heart to keep me submissive."

Kikyo allowed her words to sink in. She did not wish to see Inuyasha's face, so she kept her eyes glued to the dirt below her.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````

Naraku held no fear of being noticed. The miko nuisance, Kagome, was near death, so she would not be able to sence his shards. All of her companions were by her side. The hanyo mutt was with his Kikyo. He smiled at how smoothly his plan was going. All that was left was for Kikyo to keep Inuyasha occupied until Kagome died. Then he would willingly follow her back into hell, without doubts, and all that would be left would be for him to pick up their shards. No one would be able to put up much of a fight without their strongest warriors.

'I still don't like her being alone with Inuyasha,' said Onigumo, 'now that she is part of us, she should be able to stay. Make her stay. I wish to be with her more.'

'Shut up stupid weakling, I dont have your taste for human women, nor can I stand your infatuation with that miko. If she still wishes to take Inuyasha to hell with her, then I will not stand in her way. She is almost done serving her purpose.'

'Damn you.' Cursed Onigumo who returned to the back of the creature called Naraku.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````

"Why did Kouga say that your deal with him was over? What deal was that?" He asked. Though he hated to admit it, her answer would help him decide where his heart stood. He knew that Kagome loved him, but he didn't know where Kikyo's heart stood concerning him. Should he follow her to hell like was planned? His breath caught in his throat as he awaited the all important answer.

"It was Naraku's plan that the wolf should kidnap your friends. It would cause you and my reincarnation to fight and seperate. He would kill you, then her. His motive for this was to catch Kagome off guard, and unprotected. He would then steal her shards of the shikon." She chose her next words carefully. If she were to tell him that Naraku was nearby, and Kagome was near death, then Inuyasha would leave her side. Naraku would kill her and she would return to hell alone. Kikyo would not risk it. She had worked too hard to get this far.

"I was the one to relay the message to Kouga. If I hadn't given Naraku what he wanted, then he would have..." She did not get a chance to finish her scentence. Inuyasha pulled her into a tight embrace, catching her off her guard.

"Kikyo, I promised to protect you...I've already failed you twice," emotion was evident in his voice, "I don't expect you to forgive me, all I ask is that you would allow me to accompany you in hell."

Kikyo hadn't expected Inuyasha's statement so soon. She inwardly laughed at how easy it was, and thanked her luck at the hanyo's simple mindedness. 'Soon Kagome will be dead, I will have Inuyasha in hell, and most importantly, I will no longer be under Naraku's draconian rule.'

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````

Kagome's body went still as she inhaled her last breath. The pure pink soul that had inhabited her body slowly lifted itself up and hovered in mid air. It was visible to all in the room. Kaede was puzzled as to why the young soul did not move on. Other than the swift audible intake of breath, the room was silent, as shock settled in. Shippo was the first to cry out a lament. He was soon followed by Sango, Miroku, and Kouga.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````

His friends' cries pulled Inuyasha from his dillusioned fantasy world beside Kikyo. He tested the air and for the first time smelt Kagome's blood. His undead/ reincarnated miko forgotten, Inuyasha tore down the tree and ran for Kaede's hut.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````

Kikyo fumed as she watched her chance for happiness run away before her very eyes. My bitch reincarnation wasn't supposed to die just yet. She climbed back down the god tree and headed back towards the village. The least she could do was return the torn soul back to where it belonged. Inside of herself.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````

Finally, I never thought the little human would pass on. How she held on this long is beyond me. Well time to finish what I've started. Naraku sent a mental summons to Kagura, and Kanna. He would need them to distract Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and Kouga. He readied a few hundred more demons for extra protection.

First though, I need to rid myself of Kikyo before she get any ideas. He laughed at the mental picture of her body writhing in pain.

'I knew you enjoyed her new body, almost as much as I did...' taunted Onigumo.

'I did not enjoy her body, I enjoyed defiling it.' Naraku was tired of his human side's musings. He could not wait to gain the full shikon to rid himself of this nuisance.

Naraku was pleased at how his plan had smoothly played out. Nothing could stop him now.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````

Hehehehe, I know you guys are gonna want to kill me, but before you flame me and jump to conclusions let me explain my actions. I needed to TEMPORARILY kill Kagome in order for her to truely be alive. She will come back. I've decided where I'm gonna take this. Believe it or not I wasn't going to harm Kag in any way, but a review gave me an idea which I thought I'd try out. I like the way this fic is going and am not going to change it. Please forgive me for doing this to Kag, but rest assured she will come back and all will be well. So I repeat do not flame me for my creative way of doing something ok?

I am fully away of how COMPLETELY DARK this chapter is, but the next chapter will more than likely be another dark one. It will get lighter later though so PLEASE be patient. I promis to lighten it up A.S.A.P.

So I will need reviews to brighten my mood after writing these depressing chapters.

PUSH THE BUTTON...

RIGHT...

DOWN...

HERE...

(^_^)