InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forbidden Eternal Love ❯ Lies and Deceit ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:
I don't own Inuyasha; it belongs to extremely talented Rumiko Takahashi. But I DO own Kane; he is mine to do with what I want! And the name Maiku is mine! It's my friend Mike's name in Japanese, LOL.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Note:
Dear me, it's shocking isn't it? I finally have overcome my long spell of writers block to give you guys another chapter. I apologize for the long tedious wait you all had to endure, but nothing seemed to come to my mind and I didn't want to use an idea that seemed weak, so I'm back with a bang. I hope you all enjoy it immensely.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
Chapter Six: Lies and Deceit
*~*~*~*~*~*
 
The sun just came up over the horizon, bathing the land in its ethereal light. His plot had been set, now it was time to infiltrate the heavens. With a devious grin Naraku made his way through the portal, quickly figuring out a way to get close to the Shikon no Tama for with each step he took he felt its power increased tenfold.
 
He finally made it to the pearly gates, shining with all their majestic glory, and a dark sadistic smirk graced his face as he easily entered the sacred city. “What fools! Leaving their precious fortress unguarded…Why just any tyrant could waltz in and destroy everything.” He laughed.
 
Their carelessness had made his task even easier; soon all would fall down and acknowledge his wishes, especially Kikyou. The mere thought of that damned woman sent his body into white-hot rage. He would make her pay for her transgressions, for her abandonment, he would become her wrathful God seeking the vengeance he longed for all those years. But not before killing every single one of her people, her husband and her precious little daughter before her very wide chocolate eyes.
 
Immeasurable pain shot throughout his entire body, draining his power as he neared the grand palace and a low voice called out from the bowels of hell.
 
“STOP! Don't…harm her! Do not…touch…her!”
 
Naraku's eyes flashed dangerously, revealing their true crimson color. “Curse you fool! Onigumo…relinquish this hold you have on me…go back to the depths of my hell! Be swallowed up in the darkness once again!”
 
With his last ounce of demonic strength, he cast the voice away and gave in to the darkness that consumed his blackened soul. “Kikyou…”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Kikyou sat still, her only movement was rising and falling of her breasts in panic and horror as she relived that frightful night.
 
He's coming…I can feel him…
 
She needed solace, and only one place could give her that as it did each evening since then.
 
She quickly but quietly pushed the silk sheets away from her perspiring body and stood up to grabbed a cloak that lay near the grand bed. Wrapping it tightly around her, she took a swift glance behind to see if her movements had disturbed her husband. When only his even breathing met her ears, she then made her way outside the bedroom doors and towards the gardens.
 
Before stepping into the open courtyard she grabbed her bow and quiver, and clutched it tightly in her hand as she finally came to her destination.
 
Tears cascaded down her pale ivory cheeks as she fell to her knees before the simple grave. “Oh Onigumo…ever since you vanished I have never been able to make a right decision. Please I beg of you, break free from this monster's hold on your soul, free yourself…I love you…”
 
The wind blew softly through the surrounding trees and flowers, sending petals and leaves towards the ground. And with it carried a pained and sorrowful voice. “Kikyou…”
 
Snapping her eyes open she notched an arrow in her bow, holding it tight as her eyes scanned the surrounding garden and forest. “Who's there? Show yourself!”
 
“Kikyou…”
 
Relief swamped her senses as she spotted Maiku heading towards her. His worried filled orbs darkened with a tinge of jealousy as he saw where she had gone once again. Every night since that day for twenty-two years and that damned bandit still had a hold on his wife's heart. I refuse to yield to your dead soul. She was mine long before you came.
 
“Kikyou, what are you doing out in this chilly night air?” He asked, grasping her hand in his. “Come back inside.”
 
Reluctantly Kikyou gave in to her husband's pulling, but not before taking a fleeting glance at the grave of her lost Onigumo. She didn't notice the look of pure anger flash across Maiku's face as she gazed longingly back, sighing heavily. His grip on her delicate hand unknowingly tightened as he tried to suppress his boiling feelings of jealousy.
 
“Mai…ku…You're hurting me…” Kikyou exclaimed, trying to pull her hand free.
 
He turned swiftly to face her and all his anger melted away at her pained look. Dropping her hand in haste, “Forgive me…” He softly pleaded, pulling her into his arms. “I didn't mean to cause you harm. You know I would never hurt you. I love you.”
 
A wave of guilt flooded Kikyou's body; she had betrayed her husband without a second thought every night that she came there. “No forgive me. I love you…” Her voice caught in her throat and the sentence refused to complete itself. Is this all I'm good for? Betraying Onigumo by marrying Maiku, and betraying Maiku by longing for another. Please Kami just let me be in peace.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Maiku rested upon his throne, exhausted as his entire mind swarmed with an ever-growing confliction. Kami…what am I to do? Not only have I given a reason for my daughter to hate me but now there is one for my wife as well.
 
I told you these games you played would cost you some day. I told you to leave them in peace and let them be happy, but the selfish boy in you that desired to keep her as yours over-ruled my warnings. Now you must pay for your lies and deceit… His conscious irritatingly reminded him.
 
Groaning in frustration Maiku fell defeated upon his throne that now seemed to hold no significance for his wretched being. He had created a spider web of lies all to keep Kikyou as his own and now that secret was destroying his entire family. He buried his head in his hands, in attempt to control his urge to cry out in self-loathing.
 
What am I feeling remorseful for? Onigumo was nothing more than a lowly bandit, not worth of one as pure as Kikyou. I did her a favor of disposing of him. All I am guilty of is loving her and protecting her…
 
With a renewed resolve, Maiku straightened up and appeared as his usual self seated upon his throne just as a young attendant appeared before him.
 
“Forgive me your majesty, but a Lord Naruki is awaiting to speak with you regarding your daughter.”
 
Maiku's sad eyes lighted up with the prospect of a new suitor. Perhaps this fellow would do the trick and ensnare his daughter's stubborn heart. “Send him in.”
 
The attendant bowed respectfully then left quickly and returned with the young lord in tow. “Lord Naruki, your majesty.” He announced before exiting the throne room.
 
Maiku's deep blue orbs shifted over the young man's figure. He was dashingly handsome with his shoulder length wavy hair and dark mocha eyes that stared intently back into his own. His dress clearly showed his was of noble birth, one worthy of receiving his daughter's hand in marriage. But one thing was odd, he couldn't recall appointing Naruki as a lord, in fact he had no memory of this man at all…
 
“I am afraid that I have never heard or seen you before…” He began.
 
“Forgive my king, but I am the son of the late Lord Ataru. He passed away just a few months ago and his title was passed onto me.” The young man replied.
 
“Ahh yes, Lord Ataru. Such a humble and respectable man, it is such an honor to have his very son in my presence. Now what business do you wish to discuss in regards to my lovely daughter?”
 
A glint of crimson color flashed in his eyes. This is all too easy. I'll have them groveling in no time. “I wish to have her hand in marriage.”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Kagome sat up quietly in her room. Her mind swirling with the memory of last night. That was too close. I should not have stayed that long. What was I thinking? What am I feeling? Oh Kami, why does that hanyou captivate me so?
 
Her thoughts broke as soft knock echoed throughout her chamber. “Kagome, may I come in?”
 
Kagome's lips curled into a smile at the sound of Sango's voice. Quickly running up to the door, she swung it open and pulled her inside. “Oh Sango, you don't know how much I need your advice right now!”
 
Startled by her sudden movements, Sango exclaimed. “What ever is the matter?”
 
Kagome whirled around to face her, her cerulean orbs sparkling with a hidden secret. “I think I'm falling in love.”
 
“Why that's wonderful Kagome! Who is the lucky gentle…” Her eyes opened wide in horror as she watched Kagome bite her bottom lip nervously. “Oh no Kagome! Please promise me he is not what I think he is…”
 
“Well technically he is part human…” She began.
 
“No, no, NO! It is FORBIDDEN!” Sango hissed, interrupting her. “You want my advice, stay FAR away from this demon! Kagome you can't possibly believe you are in love with…”
 
“I'm not sure myself if I'm in love with…”
 
“Whose in love with who, dear?” Kikyou asked as she entered her daughter's chamber, startling both girls.
 
Sango saw the look of fear flash across Kagome's face. It's all a lie, just a simple lie. “I am in love, majesty. I am in love with the Priest Miroku.”
 
Kagome gawked at Sango's sacrifice for her sake. Her eyes sending messages of thanks to her as she kept her secret.
 
“How lovely! Your parents must be extremely happy, and I couldn't think of a better man worthy of you Sango.” Kikyou exclaimed. “Tell me, when are you two to be married?”
 
It was Sango's turn to shiver in fright. God, what am I doing? What possessed me to say I am in love with that lecherous monk of all people! I feel so horrible lying to her majesty, please… do not let these lies spread to Miroku's ears. “Within the next six months.” I really have become mental! All the things I do for you Kagome!
 
“I am looking forward to it.” Kikyou replied. “Now Kagome, you father wishes to speak with you, come.”
 
“Yes, mother.” Kagome said, lowering her head and following her out. “Goodbye Sango, thank you.”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Maiku and Lord Naruki sat at the large wooden table in the castle's dining hall, patiently awaiting the arrival of the queen and princess.
 
“I am honored you accepted my proposal for your daughter. Rumors of her kind-hearted nature and beauty reached my keen ears but a few months ago, and from that moment I knew she would the perfectly lady for my household.” Lord Naruki stated. What a blinded fool!
 
“No, no, the pleasure is all mine. Now that I have met you, I can find no other man worthy of my daughter as you are. But I must warn you, she is very…strong-willed and will not take well to direction, so to speak…” Maiku replied, just as his wife and daughter entered the room.
 
“Father, you summoned me?” Kagome asked, as her eyes locked onto the figure of a young lord sitting on his right side. His eyes icily bore into the figure standing behind her a little ways. He is quite handsome…but something doesn't seem right…
 
Ignoring the chilly feeling that crept down her spine, Kikyou studied the young man seated next to Maiku after taking a seat next to her daughter. Disturbed, she turned toward Maiku and warily noticed the beam of pride and happiness on his face. Oh no…what has he done…
 
“Kagome, I'd like you to meet Lord Naruki, son of the late Lord Ataru. Your betrothed form this day forward.”
 
Every eye turned expectantly at the princess and all Kagome could hear was her father's fateful words as she slipped into the darkness.