InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forbidden Love ❯ Chapter VIII ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter VIII

“Father, there are angry whisperings across the land of your amity with that human girl,” Sesshomaru said. “I do not understand why you would dishonor our family so…”
Sugimi sent a glare his son’s way, a look that would have stopped the heart of any other. “Do not play this game again, Sesshomaru…” he replied, the early stages of a growl forming behind the words.
“There is hate between mortals and demons. Why do you watch over them…” Sesshomaru continued, obliged to see his father realize the truth of his life.
“My business is my own…” A feral snarl resonated from deep in Sugimi’s throat.
“She is a worthless human, Father. There is filthy blood in her veins…”
The demon lord slammed his fist down upon a table with force enough that the wood exploded into a shower of splinters. “DO NOT SPEAK SUCH OF HER!” Sugimi roared, his eyes flaring crimson, as he leapt to his feet, and Sesshomaru stood just as quickly, his calm visage belying his fear. He had never once seen his father become so angry, so completely infuriated that the younger demon was worried that Sugimi’s true demon shape would pay him a violent visit. The demon lord was shaking with rage, his fangs and claws bared, a livid growl rolling from his chest like thunder, jagged slits cracking his face as he fought to keep his outer shell unbroken, and eyes gleaming scarlet. Slowly, very slowly, Sesshomaru lowered his claws and knelt, aware that any move his angered father deemed the slightest bit hostile would bring upon him the unspeakable wrath of Sugimi’s demon form.
“Calm, Father,” the younger demon murmured.
Sugimi forced himself to breathe, the rips in his skin closing, and the red of his eyes fading, but his voice lingered as a growl. “You mock me, Sesshomaru, and you give your verdict on one you do not know. If you are duty-bound to do so, make certain that you are far from where my ears can hear you.”
“She is a child…” Sesshomaru dared to whisper, but bit his tongue when his father’s eyes burned crimson once more, and he bowed low, his forehead to the floor. “Forgive me, Lord Sugimi.”
“You are forgiven,” the demon lord snarled as he turned, and stormed away, out of the sitting room, down the hall, and to his chambers to leave his son bowing amidst pieces of the broken table.

Sugimi collapsed back onto the soft ebony comforters of the luxuriant bed, draping an arm over his eyes. How had he let himself become so out of control? Why had he become so angry with his son? ‘Because Sesshomaru is not right,’ part of his mind answered. ‘All life is precious, whether it is a human’s or a demon’s. Nothing so beautiful could ever be valueless.’
He pulled his arm away from his face, letting it lie next to his head, staring up at the ornate carvings that decorated the ceiling, the depictions of a great silver dog, sprinting through the air atop a golden mist, with a tail like a hurricane and shining scarlet eyes and a vast maw lined with teeth like one thousand blades. Soaring arrows were recoiling off of his radiant fur, and swords broke as they struck his magnificent hide. Humans fled before his flashing claws, and demons of all shapes and sizes bowed to his greatness…Sugimi glared at the engraving, the impertinent representation of himself, just as he did as every night fell.
But this night, his eyes flared crimson. Quick as lightning, he leapt at the picture, and hacked cavernous gouges into the thing with his slashing claws and a furious roar. The demon lord fell back to the bed, which was now strewn with ruined sections of the image…distinctively the depiction of his own face. Sesshomaru was not right…
Converting /tmp/phpMxjQG0 to /dev/stdout