InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Foresight ❯ Butterflies of Panic ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: As said before, I do not own Inuyasha. Everything belongs to the talented Rumiko Takahashi.
 
 
Chapter One: Butterflies of Panic
 
I had a bad feeling about that test. It was one of those doomed feelings that cause butterflies of panic to flutter around in your stomach, and you have to force yourself to take deep breaths to calm down.
 
As Euri, my more dramatic friend, says, it made you want to curl up under the covers and stay there for all eternity.
 
It was actually kind of silly: I had missed so many days of school by now that one test wasn't going to make much of a difference. But the Shikon Jewel was almost complete now. As soon as it was finished and Naraku had been defeated, I would be able to return to concentrating on my studies. But then, I wouldn't be able to see Inuyasha and my friends in the past anymore.
 
And with that thought, my day became even gloomier.
 
"Kagome!" two loud voices startled me out of my musings. Quickly, I realized that I had stopped halfway through my walk home and was now staring listlessly at the sidewalk. Sheesh! When had I started spacing out like that?
 
Giving myself a mental shake, I looked up and smiled apologetically at my two friends, Ayame and Euri.
 
"Sorry," I started walking again and my friends fell into step on either side of me.
 
"History test didn't go so well?" Ayame guessed.
 
"How did you know?" I shook my head in amazement.
 
"Ayame always knows. Euri held up a finger and continued in a dramatic voice,
"She can read your mind. She can see into the future. She knows your every thought before you even think it. She's a….. what's that word again?"
 
"Mind reader?" Ayame laughed.
 
"Exactly!"
 
"You two are unbelievable," I smiled lightly; "You should be an actress, Euri. You would be fan-" I was interrupted by the dinging of a bicycle bell and a voice yelling my name.
 
"KAGOME!" I turned around and, sure enough, Hojo was a ways behind me, waving his right hand and shouting my name. I stifled a groan. Did he have to yell so loud?
 
Never the less, courtesy forced me to halt and wait for Hojo to catch up with me and my friends.
 
"Sorry to bother you, Higurashi, but I'd like to give you a few things. Can I give them to you now?" Hojo caught up, got off his bike, and turned to face me.
 
"That's fine. Thank you very much," I smiled. Hojo's politeness was a sharp contrast to Inuyasha, who could probably fill a dictionary with swear words.
 
"No, thank YOU, Higurashi," Hojo smiled in return, "Are you feeling and better? I heard you had a bad case of nitfrit."
 
"I'm fine," I tried to maintain my smile. Nitfrit?!
 
"That's good to hear. You're certainly looking better! Here," He pulled out a small package," Incense sticks. They help clear your mind and keep you healthy." He handed the package to me.
 
That's very thoughtful of you. I don't know how to repay you for all these gifts."
 
"Well, I was wondering….. Could you go to a movie with me on Sunday?" Hojo gave me a hopeful look.
 
"Maybe. I'll see," I knew for a fact that I couldn't, but it would have been extremely rude to turn him down.
 
"Anyway, I also have this for you," Hojo cleared his throat and handed me a white envelope," You're history teacher wanted me to give this to you. It's something about a test."
 
"Oh," I took the envelope with surprise, "Thanks."
 
"You're welcome. I have to leave now: Bye!" he hopped back on his bike and wheeled off, leaving me staring at the envelope with a feeling of dread in my heart. The butterflies of panic were back.