InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Forevermore ❯ Part Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A WORD or more: Thank you for all the reviews I've been getting. Seriously, I'm not used to all that balderdash. Well anyway, I hope you enjoy. Kagome's attitude is the way that it is because she fears to be too close to someone because somewhere in her heart she still wants to hold onto the hope that she will find Inuyasha again. It's that type of love, dearies. Something she doesn't want to let go of is Inuyasha because she truly loved him, and it nearly destroyed her when she wasn't allowed to be sent back in time to Sengoku Jidai again. Now, does that explain something? I surely hope so. Again, I'm surprised anyone wanted to read this story; just random things that cook up in my brain. So, here's the final products mates! (No, I'm not Australian, I'm just in a camp mood is all...) Questions, comments, REVIEW.

« Forevermore «

By Mia

~An Inuyasha alternate-universe kind of story~

~~~~~~~

Is there such a thing as love? No, not necessarily. Just someone who helped in the creating the English

language decided to say, while observing humanity, "Hey, look at that! Why do you suppose they're

doing that? Let's make a word for it." And there you are. Though I'm not undoubtedly positive

as to where the word "love" originated from, like it came from this Latin word so-and-so, or this Greek

saying so-and-so--it's just a word. A nice word at that.

Though it only matters in the meaning behind it.

~~~~~~~

*PART FOUR*

They were rounding one side of the lake now, observing the opposite side as people walked by on the docks obviously tourists as they took panoramas of the lakeshore, thinking a couple rowing together in a boat in the light of the golden sunset looked sort of homey and romantic. A good picture to take home, they figured. Kodak moments and all that.

Ignoring them, Kagome paddled smoothly while Ren, who was behind her, fiddled around with the oar and poked her backside with it.

"What in heavens..." she muttered, turning her head around and was surprised by a splash in the face. As she wiped her eyes on her arm, she looked up with a haunting death glare directing to the man behind her, he decided it was funny and burst out laughing. When lake water ended up in his mouth, he spat it out over the side and coughed repeatedly, having to have accidentally choked on it. Kagome stopped rowing and looked smugly at him when he finished. "I didn't think it tasted all that well either."

Ren returned her previous glaring look, hiding a mischievous grin. Before she could say anything to her defense, he leapt from his side and tackled her to the bottom of the boat, seizing her wrists with one hand and started to torture her with tickling. "Eeeaaargh!" she cried.

But before Kagome could push Ren off of her his foot got caught on the rope she placed not so neatly beneath their feet, making him topple on top of her to the bottom of the boat, stern-wise. She ignored the slight pain that shot through her back when it connected to the wood; God only knew she'd done that countless times back in Sengoku Jidai. Kagome also knew she should be against this sort of closeness but she didn't do anything about it, tickling him back as their laughter rose above the lake waters and spread by the evening breeze. Oh no...he even sounds like Inuyasha when he's laughing...and yes, Inuyasha did laugh however rarely...

"Ren! REN, get offa me---!"

But Ren was having way too much fun. "No way, here's a challenge you'll never win, Higurashi!" How much did that remind her of Hojo?

As his hands traveled and roamed on her sides, she readied her legs as she swept them under his feet, making him fall to the side of her with a thud. Quickly getting up and now presently the boat was shaking uncontrollably, she fought for dominance over him, grabbing an abandoned oar and holding it over his head as he stared up in mock admirance. "Do you yield?" said Kagome, barely containing a grin. She did not notice his leg moving around her own.

"That's not fair, Kagome--" He rubbed his aching head for a diversion, making it look like he'd hurt himself. But truth was it really was sore.

"Do you yield?" Nope, she was not one for mercy but when she noticed his hand caressing the back of his head, she looked down in concern, still holding upright the oar. "What did you do this time? See, you could've easily done the same to me..."

"What did I do?" He protested. Then, "And by the way, Kagome...I will never yield." And with one great shove he used his leg to hook around hers, making her stumble and fall over the rim of the boat---straight into the water row and all. A loud splash as he watched her disappear, and when she came up sputtering he presented her with a toothy grin, leaning against the side and watching with such a smug expression she wanted more than anything to wipe off his face. "You see, legs can be used in many artful ways." If he wasn't being such an idiot, Kagome might have considered the thought that he looked mighty handsome hanging off the edge like that.

Kagome dog-paddled her way to the boat, hanging onto the oar as a defective floating device. She met his cool yellow-gold eyes with the touch of amber and actually smiled, a smile that was seductive she hoped. "Ren, I don't want to fight you, I know you're better than me and I know that you let me win while we sparred at the university..." She caught the hint of uncertainty on his face when he swallowed, contemplating whether or not to believe her. She was just too damn convincing, what with the wet t-shirt and all...

Finally his lips quirked into a smile as he literally fell for it, took the bait, hook line and sinker, holding out his hand and gripping the side with the other. A chuckle escaped her lips. "I knew you'd come around, Ren!" Like a piranha out of the water, her hand shot out and took his wrist, yanking him toward the water with her. All that came from him was a strangled cry as his body was submerged in H2O, his heavy clothes dragging him down. Whence he was glaring at her through his bangs, albeit they were dripping as hers were, he swam nearer to her and the boat.

"Damn you woman...and these were my favorite pants--" How very Inuyasha-like of him.

He received a smirk from her. "What, those tattered pieces of denim sown together? Please. Don't be afraid of a little water. It's all your own fault anyway for deciding you wanted to become an idiot and start dinking around on a boat. Seriously, Ren, you have to straighten out your priorities: either stay on the boat, either keep upright in the boat...I think I make my point when I told Yuka men are all idiots," she giggled, nudging the side of the oar to his arm.

"And what are women, hm? The ones who help the men be idiots?" He returned her smile just as readily.

Kagome shook her head, "No way, you guys are all on your own with that. We're there to make you look good while you're being idiots, you know." When he stared pointedly at her, she laughed again.

"Does this look good to you, Miss Higurashi?" Once again his eyes trailed to the broken jewel at her throat. Better get somewhere stable to ask her about that. Decision made, Ren, in all his lithe wet glory, reached up and with strong muscled arms, he clamored over the side, first one leg than the other, rolling until he had his whole body situated securely within the vessle. Getting up again, he stretched a hand out for the oar and laid it beside him, then Kagome came next. "Come on, let me help you up--and don't pull me again either!"

That elicited a grin from Kagome, who grabbed his hand and he pulled her with all his strength toward him, sliding over the edge and ending up on his lap. When her head bumped his chin hard, they mumbled in unison, "Ow!" and he scooted to give her more room on the wood plank seat, him straddling his legs over it to face her head on. Rubbing her head then trying to wring out her hair and clothes, her eyes looked mockingly at him. "This was a bad idea, even when I had the instinct not to take you I merely brushed it off..."

"Yeah but admit it, you had fun anyway right?"

She shrugged. "More or less." He observed her with keen eyes as she wrung her hair of water, letting it drip over the side. There was a silence, except for the slapping of water against the small boat. And when she felt his eyes on her, her eyes narrowed. "Was there something you wanted to ask?" she said flippantly.

He was about to say no out of habit but he persisted. "Your necklace...where did you come by it?"

He saw the second panic look in her blue-clouded eyes underneath her wet lashes, noting how her hand automatically snaked up to her collarbone and gripped the broken jewel. "I...I got it from a friend, a long time ago." No, that wasn't a lie. Why did she find it getting harder to lie to him all of a sudden? Her stomach tightened when he slid nearer, taking his hand and pulling her own free from the jewel. The fear swarmed into her expression as he gripped her fingers in his. No, please...

"Why, Kagome?" he whispered softly. She could have sworn she saw a flash of a memory instilled in him as he sat there, looking almost miserably desperate. It was like when Inuyasha told her he was afraid he almost lost her. Oh, what she would give to have his arms around her now instead of this semi look alike of his human side. But the eyes...so utterly familiar. Could this be Inuyasha reborn? But then that would mean that he'd have to have...

"Why what?" ...died. She was shivering now, from the either the cold or the sheer feeling of close contact of their skin. When her skin prickled, Ren noticed and pulled her against his chest, wrapping her in what warmth he could.

"Why are you so afraid to get to know me?" He finished his question, surprised that she hadn't yet resisted his touch. His nimble fingers brushed aside the clumped wet strands away from her face.

"I'm not...afraid," she stammered, ready to pull away. Just the close proximity of him was tearing her apart. His nose nudged the place between her neck and shoulder, searching for that scent that he could hardly distinguish. Why was he doing this? No one knew, not even himself.

"Don't hide from me, Kagome." He said against her skin, his breath tickling her and making goosebumps reappear again. "I don't know why but...I want to know you." And in the moment she leaned away to stare up into his eyes as the light of the sun was barely visible over the hills, she knew she wanted to know him too, no matter how badly bruised her heart was inside.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Kagome walked silently beside Ren, who walked his motorcycle to the parking lot. What exactly occurred back there? Was it a revelation or something, serendipity? An omen? Their meeting meant something, no doubt about it. Just the uncanny similarity between Inuyasha and Ren was unmistakable, no matter how she tried to dismiss it as a coincidence. I agreed to be this man's friend--I will be his friend, and only his friend. Absolutely nothing can happen between us--nothing CAN happen between us. I just can't let that happen...I can't deal with having someone I loved to be torn from my arms again. I can't...I won't go through that ordeal again. And yes, I'll admit it to myself...the only man, if you could call him that, that I ever loved was Inuyasha. She drifted off into her memories, not noticing Ren's second glances at her. He said I was his...how could a girl ignore such words? God, I need to get away---but haven't I already tried that? I came here from Japan to do exactly what I wanted to---to get away but obviously I'm going mad and all of a sudden this guy turns up with eyes of a hanyou.

"I love you, Kagome." With eyes of the man that once my heart belonged. Gods, am I really this fickle?

"Oh sorry--what?" Ren had said something.

He smiled in the dim light of the upcoming street lights. "I said, a penny for your thoughts."

"How original," she muttered, frowning at being interrupted out of her thoughts. "But I guess you're right. If there was indeed, a penny for every single thought I have in mind, then you would be richer than---what's his name? That American that hit it off big selling Microsoft products." Some people passed by us while we attempted to cross the street, listening to our garbled Japanese.

Ren nodded, trying to remember. "Gates...Gates...Bill! He's a lucky guy if I ever saw one." She had to give him credit though; he was trying to lighten the mood, she could see it. He glanced sideways at her. "So you really would have that many of thoughts? What're you thinking about?" They were at her apartment.

"Thoughts Ren, thoughts." She brushed past him and toward the double doors, taking longer so he could park his bike. When she found him tailing her as the bell-boy pressed the button for the elevator, she at least thought to be hospitable and offer a dry shirt or something. The doors rushed open and they both stepped in, she not even minding that he didn't even ask to come up. "You sure your bike's going to be fine down there?" she put in to pass the time.

He shrugged; he carried his shoes with two fingers, his jeans rolled up to his knees and he remained barefoot, his head upturned to stare at the lights as the vator, as she liked to call it, began moving. "I'm sure." Wasn't it only a couple days ago when she was alone in the vator staring at glowing-orange numbers as they went up the floors? Kagome sighed deeply at the revelation. Now what am I to do with this new situation? She was completely startled when she felt his warm fingers entwine with her own. Her eyes shot to him. "Sorry but...I forgot to ask," He looked sheepish. "If I could go up to your room, you know, to use your bathroom..."

"Don't you think it's a little too late to ask?" Nervously she gripped his hand. Another thing that reminded her of the hanyou...that sheepish expression. "Anyway, sure. You're welcome any time in my humble abode my friend." The vator stopped and the doors slid open.

"Come on, I can't hold it for long." He grinned as he whisked her away by the hand, though she led him in the proper direction first. "I want to see if you can see the river from your window."

*END OF PART FOUR*

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A/notes: Romantic enough only after meeting one another about two days? Sorry about it being so short. Promise to make them longer *grins.* And whitewingeddragon, aka Amanda, this chapter's for you. Cheers, mate, and thanx for the encourage within your wonderful reviews. -Mia