InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fragment of Eternity ❯ Ghosts Aren't Real ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Own Inu-Yasha? Me? ::nervous laugh:: No. . . ?

Author's Note: Please enjoy!

~*~

*

*

*


~Fragment of Eternity~

Chapter Two: Ghosts Aren't Real

*

*

*


"God, woman! Would you shut the hell up?!" the transparent boy snapped, a look of annoyance plastered on his face.


"OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!" Kagome screamed, scooting away as best as she could. However, the couch was in her way, and she ended up falling head -first over the back.

THWACK!

Owwww. . .

"That really smarts. . ." the girl grunted from the ground, eyes squeezed shut, legs pressed against the back of the chair as she rubbed her throbbing head.

. . . ?

Hey, that THING wasn't talking anymore. . .

Maybe whatever screw in her noggin had been knocked loose was back in place. . . ?

Only one way to see. . .


Her stormy orbs slowly fluttered open- - -

And she found herself face to face with- with- with HIM as he leaned over the edge of the piece of furniture to look down at her.

"Keh," he scoffed, hands not quite touching the fabric of the couch as he glared coldly down at her. "At least you've stopped your screeching. It was beginning to hurt my ears."

He gave his ears- his unnatural, almost-see-through doggy ears- a soft flick.

"OH GOD!" Kag yelped again, skittering backwards on her behind. "What the hell ARE YOU?!"

"What am I?" he smirked. "Interesting question, little girl."

He casually lifted himself upwards, sitting cross-legged about a foot over the cushions of the chair.

"In life I was a hanyou, a half demon- despised by human and youkai alike," he informed her calmly, though his eyes held a trace of malice. "And now. . .

I guess you'd call it a ghost."

Kagome's face paled.

No. . .

Way. . .

"N- no you're not. . . There's no such thing as ghosts. . ."

The boy graced her with a dry glare.


"Oh, of COURSE there's not," he said coldly, exasperation etched all over his face. "Of course not. I'm just a figment of your imagination, am I?"

"Y-Y-Yes!"

"Keh," he chuckled darkly. "You're a fool. If I was a figment of your pathetic imagination, could I do this?"

*Click!*

!!!

The lights went out- - -

*Click!*

Before quickly flicking back on.

The female slowly swallowed, getting to her feet. This was too weird! "H-How. . . ?"

"Mind powers," he replied promptly, floating down to `stand' next to her, arms crossed smugly over his torso. "I cannot touch or be touched except by others like myself. So instead of falling through the Earth every time I tried to place my feet on the ground, I can use what I suppose you mortals would call telekinesis."

Kagome took a deep, shaky breath, walking away from the THING. "That's not true. . . You're lying," she accused, pointing a trembling finger at the boy. "Ghosts aren't real! Mind powers aren't real!"

He stared icily at her. "I'm getting really tired of hearing you say that, bitch. The very least you could do is believe me after intruding in my home!"


"This is not your home!" Kagome yelled, spinning around and running into another room. "This is MY home! I bought it!"

"Why the hell do you think it was so cheap, stupid?!" he laughed rudely, gliding lazily after her. "I terrorized the last couple into leaving!"

Kag blinked, stopping in her tracks and turning to face him.

"Was that their stuff in the attic?"

- - - !

She gasped slightly, taking an automatic step backward as the boy flinched, amber eyes flaming.

Had she struck a nerve. . . ?

"NO," he spat, "That `stuff' was from my time. And you'll leave it alone, if you know what's good for you."

Yes. . . She had definitely struck a nerve.


"Ha!" Kagome retorted, glaring right back at him. "You don't scare m- - - Oh my god!"

She automatically spun around again, hand clasped over her mouth.

"I'm loosing it! Oh my god, I'm loosing it! I was actually arguing with thin air!"

"What?!" the male snapped, an almost-transparent vein throbbing on his forehead. "I am NOT thin air, wench! I'm as real as you!"

"No you're not! Ghosts aren't- - - Oh, shit, I'm doing it again!"

The girl fanned herself rapidly with a hand, taking deep breaths. "I've just been overworking myself, that's all. I'll eat something, take a nice, hot shower, and then go to bed."

"No! You will not! You will NOT spend any more time in my house! You will NOT ignore me! You will N- - - Hey, are you even LISTENING?!"

*

Kagome tried to feed herself chicken soup with a shaking hand, but it was rather difficult with the `figment of her imagination' glaring murderously at her from the other side of the table.

"It's no use trying to ignore me," the boy growled. "I'm not just gonna go away."

"Ghosts aren't real," Kag automatically countered, dropping her spoon back in her bowl.

"It doesn't matter how many times you say that, I'm still going to remain," he snarled, evidently annoyed.

"Ghosts aren't real."

His eyes narrowed dangerously- - -

But then he suddenly put on a calm face, leaning back and propping his feet a few inches above the table.

"Fine," he muttered, shrugging nonchalantly, "keep saying that. I don't give a damn."

The girl took a deep breath, burring her face in her hands.

"Ghosts aren't real, ghosts aren't real, ghosts aren't real, ghosts aren't real, ghosts aren't real- - -"

The male's eyebrow began to tick.

"Ghosts aren't real, ghosts aren't real, ghosts aren't real, ghosts ar- - - !"


"WOULD YOU STOP THAT?! IT'S FRICKEN IRRITATING!"

"No!" Kagome screamed, standing up with a loud clatter. "No, I won't! Not until you admit I'm right!"

"If I admit you're right," he glared, crossing his arms, "that would only prove that I exist since I'd be agreeing with you, thus meaning I was able to comprehend what the fuck you were saying in the first place. Besides- aren't you having a conversation with me right now, no matter how hostile? And I'm using words I know you wouldn't be able to think up yourself- ergo, I am the one who is correct!"

"I doubt you even know what those words mean!" Kag snapped, turning her back to the boy.

"Yes I- - - Okay, no I don't," he admitted grumpily. "But they sound good there!"

"You're pathetic!"

"ME?! You're the one that can't admit she can see a ghost!" the male bellowed, soaring over the table and landing before the girl.

Her eyes widened. "Crud! I was talking to you again! I really am loosing it!"

Squeezing her eyes shut she banged her forehead with a fist, walking forward- and straight through the male-, reciting like a memorized mantra: "Ghosts aren't real, ghosts aren't real, ghosts aren't real, ghosts aren't real. . ."

"Would you cut that out, stupid?!" the boy forced through gritted teeth, trailing after Kagome as she made her way quickly up the stairs. "Then we can get down to business!"

"Ghosts aren't real, ghosts aren't real, ghosts aren't real," Kag continued, plugging her ears with her fingers as she shuffled into the bathroom, closing and locking the door behind her.


"I mean," the `figment' called through the door, "you can't live here. This is MY home. I want to know when you'll be shipping out!"

"Ghosts aren't real!" Kagome chanted over the sound of his voice, pulling off her sweater and skirt. "Ghosts aren't real! Ghosts aren't real!"

"Look, would you just shut up long enough for me to speak to you?! Damn it, woman!"

"GHOSTS AREN'T REAL!" the girl yelled, pulling off the rest of her garments and wrapping herself in a towel. Stomping over to the shower she twisted the nozzle, waiting for the water to get hot.


"Okay, NOW I'm pissed off!" the boy roared, storming through the door and up to the female. "WOULD YOU JUST SHUT THE FU- - -"

. . .

"PERVERT!" Kagome screamed, tightening her towel and sending a well aimed slap his way- - -

One that went right though one cheek and out the other.

She inhaled sharply, leaning back against the wall for support.

"I've got to get out of here," she gasped, racing past the THING and throwing open the door.

"Yes!" the male cheered. "Leave! Go back to where ever you- - - hey! You're not leaving!"

Kagome slammed the door to her room shut.

. . .

The boy sighed, flicking his wrist and turning off the water. `She just doesn't get it.'

*

"Ghosts aren't real," Kagome murmured as she buttoned up her pajamas. "Ghosts aren't real. Ghosts aren't real. Ghosts aren't real."

Flopping upon her bed, she grunted in surprise as she felt her back connect with something hard.

?

Oh. . .

It was just the diary.

Sighing, she tossed it into one of her bedside table's drawers- - -

Just as the `figment of her imagination' glided through the door.

"Eeek!" Kag squealed in horror, curling into a ball in the corner of her bed. "Ghosts aren't real! Ghosts aren't real! Ghosts aren't- - -!"

"FOR THE LOVE OF WHATEVER GOD IS UP THERE, WILL YOU SHUT UP?!"

!!!


The girl's eyes widened in pure shock as her jaw suddenly clamped shut, an unknown force keeping her mouth glued together.

She stared fearfully up at the boy, who was now rubbing his temples tiredly- apparently at his wits end as her eyes filled with frightened tears.

"Oh, come on stupid, don't cry. I'm not gonna eat ya or anything," the boy grumbled as he glanced in her direction. ". . . Though killing you doesn't sound like a bad idea," he mumbled under his breath.

Kagome just blinked tearfully at him.

"Look, bitch," he finally growled, making eye contact. "Let's get a few things straight. I. AM. REAL. I don't give a fuck about what the experts say or what your mother happened to tell you when you were a smaller wench. Ghosts are as common as demons and humans. It's a fact, don't fight it. And if you so much as THINK `ghosts aren't real' again I'm going to wring your scrawny little neck. Got it?!"

The girl could do nothing but nod.

"Second," he continued, eyes cold as he crossed his arms and legs, hovering a few inches above the bed and about a foot away from Kagome, "This is MY house. I have no intentions of leaving or of allowing you to stay here with me. You *will* be shipping out of here or I'll be forced to kick your ass out manually."

She narrowed her eyes.

"And lastly," he finished, "I don't want any arguing from you!"

He sighed tiredly and nodded once, releasing the pressure on Kagome's jaw- - -

And unintentionally opening a floodgate.

"WHADDYA MEAN, I CAN'T LIVE HERE?!" Kagome barked, causing the ghost to jump in shock. "I will NOT be told by some demented, greedy apparition that I have to leave my dream house simply because he's too selfish to share! It took me HALF MY LIFE to save up enough to buy this shine, buster! I will NOT be leaving! If ANYONE leaves- it should be YOU! You're DEAD! Go to heaven! Or heck- go to hell!"

"Why you. . . !" the boy hissed, fury bursting to life behind his golden orbs as he racked his brain for the biggest, meanest insults he knew. "YOU INCOMPITENT, INSOLENT, MORON!"

"Big words coming from an idiot like yourself! Tell me, does being a half-demon also make you a half-wit?!"

"You'll pay for that, little girl!"

"And how?!" Kagome snapped. "Will you run me through with a knife you can't even pick up?!"

"That's sounding like a good idea right about now!" he spat, their faces inching closer together as their rage flamed.

"You make me sick!"

"Than leave!"

"NEVER!"

"So this shall be a battle of wills, bitch?"

"At least it won't be a battle of wits! It'd be boring, since you've already run out of ammo!"


Grr. . .

Lightening crackled as their eyes flamed- each as stubborn and angry as the other.

. . .

"Look," Kag suddenly sighed, kneading her forehead with her fists. "This is all too weird for me. Can we go to bed and finish this disagreement in the morning?"

The boy stared at her in utter shock.

"What?!" he gaped, bolting to his feet and leering down at her. "You can't just start a fight and call it off for SLEEP!"

"Says who?" the girl retorted tartly, casting him a cocky look as he searched fruitlessly for an answer. "I thought so."

"Keh," the boy scoffed. "Whatever."

Crossing his arms and legs once more, he floated over to the corner, glaring at her as the moon shone through the windows; illuminating the dark room.

Rolling to her side, Kagome pulled the covers over her head, staring at the closet.

. . .

"Ghost?"

"What?" he muttered in monotone, his eyes still piercing her back.

"What's your name?"

". . . What?!"

"Well, I can't just keep calling you `ghost' or `figment of my imagination', can I?"

". . ."

"Well?"

"Why should I tell you?" he grumbled. "You still don't even believe I exist."

"No," she agreed. "But maybe if I had your name I'd trust you more. I couldn't just come up with a name off the top of my head."

"Why not?"

"I'm not good with names."

"Feh."

". . ."

". . ."

"My name's Kagome."

"That's wonderful."

There was enough sarcasm dripping from his voice to sink the Titanic.

Kag's eyebrows wavered in annoyance.


"You could sound a little more interested!"

"But I'm not, wench! As soon as you leave I won't even bother remembering you existed!"

"Don't call me that! You know my name now- use it!"

". . ."

"I'll give you a hint- it isn't `wench'."


"I don't give a damn, stupid!"

"It's not `stupid' either!"

"Look, will you just go to bed?! Either that or lets finish our dispute!"

"I'll sleep after you tell me your name!"

"Humph."

. . .

Kagome sighed, slowly shutting her eyes.

`He's not gonna tell m- - -'

!

"It's Inu-Yasha."

. . . ?

The girl blinked.

`Did he. . . ?'

"W- what. . . ?"

"My name!" he snapped, irritated beyond all reason. "My name is Inu-Yasha, dumb ass! God- why ask a question if you're not going to listen to the answer?!"

Kag sighed again, feeling herself drift off to sleep.

`Either there really is a ghost in my house or the figments of my imagination all need to learn some manners- really, really badly.'

*

"What are you doing, bitch?"

"My name isn't `bitch.'"

Inu-Yasha `keh'ed loudly, stalking off to float in the corner as Kagome flipped through the yellow pages, deep in thought.

`Earning's Bank, Earring Store, Egg Mart, Erin's Dinner, Ewe trainer. . .

???

What the hell?

. . . Whatever.

Ah! Exterminators!

Exterminator, ants; exterminator, bugs; exterminators, demons!

Yes!'

Running a finger down the page, Kagome found a small, four star business.

`Hoshi To Taijya Demon Exterminations and Exorcisms. Pesky problems with pesky oni? Tired of dealing with annoying youkai? Your freedom is simply a telephone call away! Please dial 666-6666 for fast, friendly, inexpensive service.'

Perfect!

The girl reached for the phone- - - but suddenly stopped.

Wait. . .

Wasn't this the kind of business she had been insulting only yesterday? Did she really want to forsake her previous morals? Couldn't she deal with one irritating spirit on her own?

. . .

"Bitch, tell me what the fuck you're doing! Why the hell are you just reaching out like that? I doubt your lost mind will just come wandering back."

. . .

No, she couldn't.

Picking up the telephone, she quickly began pushing the `6' button.

"Grr," the ghost snarled, getting to his feet and `stomping' over. "God damn it! Answer me when I talk to you!"

"I'm calling to have you exorcised," Kagome replied briskly, toying with the cord of the phone. "Now shut up!"

. . .

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?!"

*

"Hello, this is Hoshi To Taijya Exterminations and Exorcisms. Sango speaking, how may I help you?" a pretty girl with long, dark brown hair chirped into the phone- though her trained magenta eyes were locked on her husband in the other room.

She knew she shouldn't have allowed a female secretary. . .

"Yes, this is Kagome Higarashi speaking and I've got a prob- - - Ow! INU-YASHA STOP THROWING THOSE!"

"GET THE FUCK OFF THE PHONE, THEN, BITCH!" a male's voice barked. "You will *NOT* GET RID OF ME!"

*SHATTER!*

Sango blinked, holding the phone a few inches from her ear to keep from blowing out her eardrum.

*CRASH!*

"INU-YASHAAAAAAAAA! STOP IT!"

"NEVER!"

"STOP- OR I'LL BURN ALL YOUR STUFF IN THE ATTIC!"

"YOU- YOU WOULDN'T DARE!"

*BAM!*

"Oh, I WILL!"

"Grrrr- - -!"

The district sounds of complete chaos poured from the ear piece as the magenta eyed girl stared blankly at the receiver.

"GIMMIE THE PHONE, WENCH!"

"MY NAME ISN'T `WENCH'!"

"JUST GIVE IT TO MEEEEEE!"

"NO!"

*SMASH!*

*THWACK!*

*BOOM!*

Sango glanced down at the sophisticated caller ID she had purchased, jotting down the address of the call. "DON'T WORRY MISS HIGARASHI!" she then bellowed into the mouth piece, wincing as something that sounded rather expensive broke in the background. "WE'LL BE RIGHT THERE!"

"Oh, thank yo- - - INU-YASHA! GIMMIE BACK TH- - -!"

*Click.*

The female slowly dropped the receiver back in its cradle, getting to her feet. Grabbing her gigantic bone boomerang off of its rack and a cloth bag full of other exterminating essentials, she burst through the door to her husband's office.

"Miroku!" she called briskly, startling the violet eyed man who- surprisingly- was only explaining the procedure to the new, ditzy hired hand.

Huh. Will wonders never cease. . . ? She'd have to reward him later. "Grab your things."

The kind-faced man blinked curiously up at his beloved wife; short, pony-tailed black hair rustling in a gusty, cool breeze from the window.

"What's wrong?" he questioned as his staff's decorations jingled, picking up a satchel of exorcising items. "I didn't think we had anything today."

True. . .

But. . .


Sango shivered slightly as she recalled the sounds on the other side of the phone line.

"It's an emergency."


~*~

^_^ Hope you enjoyed!

Please R&R!

Ja ne!