InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fragment of Eternity ❯ Why? ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Inu-Yasha I own not.

Author's Note: ^_^; I was working on the next chapter of Early December, but I wanted to write this more. . . !

I don't know why, but I love this fic so much! I cannot think of one chapter in this that I am not at least sort of looking forward to doing. (Sure, there are a few parts that I don't want to write, but since they're so important to the plot. . .) ^_^; That's new for me. . .

^_^ Anyway. . .

One: ~The Silver Kiss was about this vampire, who in the end, even though he was kind of in love with thias girl and she him; He kinda..just let go of his curse of being a vampire, and dissapeared as the sun rose; You know..went away peacefully.

Will that happen?~

Well, still never having read the Silver Kiss, I don't know the tone or the mood or it or anything (and please don't tell me, I don't want to know! ^_^;;;), so I still don't really know. . . ::shrugs::

Two: Noooo! Nghi-chan, I'm not mad at you! Why would I be mad? I'm fine with constructive criticism! But only from you. (^_~ Just kidding.)

Three: ~So, when are you going to let us in on the little secret about Inuyashas death?~

*Snicker*

*Chortle*

Ha-

Haha-

Hahahaha-

HAHAHA-

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

NEVER!

::laughs:: ^_^ No, just kidding. You will be finding out how and why Inu-Yasha died- but it takes a LONG time to get the whole story. Most of you will probably guess the whole thing way before I reveal it, but hey! That's the curse of having intelligent readers. ^_~

Anyway, that's all!

Enjoy this chapter! ^_^_^_^_^

~*~

*

*

*


~Fragment of Eternity~

Chapter Four: Why?

*

*

*

Kagome groaned, rolling restlessly over in her bed.

Why couldn't she sleep. . . ?

She'd had no troubles last night. . .

Sighing, she flipped to her back and stared listlessly at the ceiling, pulling her covers to her chin and crossing her arms behind her head.

`Must be all the excitement. . .'

. . .

Or. . .

~"Who knows what kind of memories our prying will dig up? They may be painful."~

. . .

Could his life have been that terrible? So terrible that he would die keeping all his bad memories locked inside? Locked away with no choice but to let them destroy him from inside out- kill him again?

She instantly pushed the thought out of her mind, not even wanting to consider contemplating the disturbing and depressing musing. Yawning deeply and glancing out the window through sleep-heavy eyes, she decided to ponder her insomnia instead.

She was so tired. . .

But still. . .

She just couldn't fall into much wanted slumber.

`Maybe if I got a drink I'll sleep easier,' she reasoned, slowly sitting up in bed. Shivering as the cold air engulfed her, holding no trace of merciful warmth, she quickly pulled her blanket off her mattress and wrapped it around her shoulders like a cloak.

Ah. . .

Better.

Carefully placing her bare toes on the ground, she quickly found her fuzzy blue slippers and tapped her feet into them. Yawning once more, she pulled her quilt more closely to her body, got to her feet, and quietly padded down the steps towards the kitchen.

*

`I wonder what that idiot is doing right now, anyway. . . ?' the girl thought tiredly as she trudged down the stairs, holding tightly to the rail. She didn't want to trip so late at night.

Heck, she didn't want to trip at ALL- but especially not so late. It would be rude to wake anyone.

Softly sighing in relief as her slippers came in contact with the ground floor, Kag began to listlessly shuffle towards the kitchen- taking the long route through the living room. (Though it wasn't that much of a detour with those two rooms being connected, lacking even a wall between them.)

`I'm surprised he's not leering over me again, yelling `till all of us are deaf- - -

?'

Blinking, Kagome stared blankly at the sight before her.

Inu-Yasha- for once silent- stood before the large bay window, golden orbs locked on the moon. His hands were lightly resting a few inches above the sill, his face deprived of all emotions- - -

Except in his eyes. . .

His eyes held. . .

Something.

Some unidentified feeling that had lain dormant for years.

As she inched a foot closer, she saw his almost-transparent dog-ear twitch, flicking towards her as his gaze did the same; taking in her baggy, flannel pjs, large blanket, and fuzzy footwear. Her hair was a mess, her eyes were half-lidded, and her head was cocked in mild confusion.


"What do you want?" he asked in monotone, slowly returning his gaze to the silvery orb in the sky. "You should be sleeping."

"I couldn't," she replied quietly, taking a step nearer.

He did not respond in any way.

Taking this as a good sign rather then a warning, the girl ventured another few feet or so.

Still, he did nothing.

So she took a final step- coming to a stop as she reached the window.

. . .

"So. . ." she murmured, swallowing hard.

. . . Something about standing next to him made her nervous- almost frightened.

Afraid he would lash out or glare.

"Yes?" he replied coldly. She momentarily flinched.

She was unused to someone hating her so much. . .

"What are you thinking about?" she questioned lightly, wincing once again as his icy stare penetrated her flesh.

"Keh. Nosy bitch," he grunted, nostrils flaring in distaste. "Mind your own business."

Too sleepy to become angry, Kagome simply sighed, pressing a hand to the cool glass of the window and averting her eyes to the ground.

`I should have known better. . .'

. . .

God, this silence was loud. . .

She weighed her options.

Well. . . Better a snappish comment then no speaking at all. . .

"Inu-Yasha. . . ?"

"What is it?" he muttered, eyes locked firmly on the heavens.

"Why. . . ?"

He slowly glanced back down at her, regarding her in slight curiosity. Slightly annoyed curiosity.

"Why *what*?"

"Why won't you tell us how you died. . . ?" she inquired, looking up at him with honest confusion in her stormy orbs. "It's a simple question."

He `keh'ed darkly and clenched a fist. "Because if I did, stupid. . .

You'd find a way to make me leave."

Kag gently chewed the inside of her cheeks.

`So he's figured that out. . . ?

Well. . . I guess that's not too astonishing. . . The man can correctly use `ergo' in a sentence and not have a clue to its meaning!

. . .

Still, I can't help but wonder. . .'

"Why, Inu-Yasha?" she voiced out of the blue, breaking the moment of silence that had blanketed as she'd collected her thoughts. "Why don't you want to move on?"

His fist tightened, trembling slightly as he lowered his head.

"Because. . . I like it here," he forced through gritted teeth. Kagome frowned slightly. The way he was acting. . . it made it look like having a conversation with her was painful!

Humph.

But still, she was able to keep her emotions in check- too curious (and sleepy) to bark at him.

"Why?"

His irritated stare lashed her like a whip. "Don't you ever stop asking questions?! You sound like a three year old! `Why' `why' `why' `why'?!" he poorly mimicked.

But still, the girl was neither offended nor furious.

"Why, Inu-Yasha?" she repeated calmly. "Why do you like it here so much? I assumed you had died here."

Sure she'd heard the saying about ASSuming and being an. . . Well, yeah.

But. . .

. . .

He sighed, sounding rather defeated as his air-clutching hand loosened.

". . . I did."

. . . ?

The girl regarded him in surprise. "Then why? Why do you like it here? Why do you stay?"

". . ."

"Well?" she pressed softly, taking another step closer to him as he crossed his arms, rested his forehead against them and leaned against the glass. Rather, leaned towards the glass, but still remained an inch or so away- unable to touch it. "Why?"

. . .

His amber pools brushed over her for a second- so quickly she almost missed it. He seemed to be gauging how close they had gotten- she was barely a few inches away, now. . .

. . .

"Because. . ." he began, but cut himself off with a frustrated grunt from the back of his throat. He seemed to be struggling to find the right words. "Because. . ."

Kagome waited patiently, tightening her grip on her quilt. `His memories *must* be painful. . . if he seems to be going through so much just trying to put them to words. . .

The poor guy. . .'

She suddenly felt a rush of sympathy towards the ghost before her.

Almost enough to let him share the house with her.

. . .

Almost, but not quite.

He still irritated the hell out of her.

"Because- - - Because of *HER*," he finally forced out, straightening slightly and rubbing his arms, locking his eyes once again on the moon.

". . . ?

`Her'. . . ?" Kagome repeated, confused.

"Yes," Inu-Yasha responded quietly. "Her.

. . .

Kikyo."

?

Kikyo. . . ?

Wasn't that the name of the girl who had painted the picture. . . ?

Kag's eyes shot quickly over to the masterpiece hanging on the wall, but returned her gaze almost instantly to the hanyou.

"But why?" she then asked. "Why are you waiting here? Are you waiting for her?"

That would be. . . sorta romantic, actually. . .


Cliché, though.

"No," he replied shortly. "She's dead."

Check that last thought, then.

But. . .

"Than wh- - - ?"

She cut herself off as he held up a hand.

"She. . .

She was an artist," he whispered, avoiding Kagome's eyes.

"She was a shrine girl.

And she. . .

She was my only friend.

Because of what I was."

He took a deep breath before continuing.

"We lived here together, for a while. And we were happy. She loved the cherry blossom trees and the neighbor's children. They loved her chocolate chip cookies."

He let out a short, joyless laugh; golden orbs slowly falling to his feet. "She was very. . . kind."

. . .

Kagome swallowed, licking her dry lips.

She needed to say something. . .

"She sounds nice," she finally murmured, fiddling with a stray thread on her blanket.


He began to nod- - -

But then quickly shook his head, clenching his fists to his side as an angry look took the place of his previous expression. "Keh. She was a bitch," he spat. "Even more so than you."

- - -?

"What's wro- - - ?"

"Nothing," he cut off briskly, looking up again as if nothing had happened. "I'm just telling you about the fool so you'll leave me ALONE."

. . .

"Well, than. . . How old was she?"

". . ."

"Okay. . .Where was she born?"

". . ."

"What did she look like?"

At this the boy flinched, slowly turning his head to stare face to face with the girl beside him.

- - -?!

What was that look in his eyes. . . ?

Was it- - -

"Goodnight, wench," he grunted, turning around and gliding away; disappearing into the darkness before Kagome could decipher the emotion or utter a syllable.

Wha- - - ?!

"Wait- - -!" she whispered into the shadows, unable to find all of her voice. "Wait. . ."

. . .

It was no use.

He wasn't going to come back to talk tonight.

Sighing, Kagome leaned against the window, pinching the bridge of her nose and lightly closing her eyes, allowing her confusion to wash endlessly over her- - -

All thoughts of getting a drink forgotten.

`What. . .

Was that all about. . . ?'

~"Keh. She was a bitch," he spat. "Even more so than you."~

. . .

That wasn't a lie- - -

She could tell- by the tone of his voice and the emotion behind it- - - he truly meant what he said.

But. . .

His eyes. . .

. . .

~"Who knows what kind of memories our prying will dig up? They may be painful."~

Yes, his memories must painful.

`But. . .' Kagome thought as she slowly walked back up the steps to her room, chewing her bottom lip as she frowned. `I don't think it was the kind of `pain' Miroku thought it would be. . .'

~*~

^_^ S'all for now!

Hope you liked!

Please R&R!

Ja ne!