InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fragment of Eternity ❯ The Power of Love ( Chapter 23 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: For the final time, I do not own Inu-Yasha and co.

Author's Note: Sorry this last chapter took so long to get out, guys- I actually finished the prolouge to my new fic the same day I posted chapter 22. However, the day after that my computer died, taking my documents and e-mail/web connections with it. So I've been without computer for five days and, really, without the will to write.

I don't want to say good bye! T-T

::sighs:: Oh well. . .


At the end of the chapter you will find, per usual, an extended summary of my next fic. I sincerely hope you will all continue to read my works- I love you!

Now, a few pieces of GOOD news:

One, I FINALLY HAVE A DIVANTART (sp?) ACCOUNT! That means y'all can finally see some of my fan art! XD I've only got a few pictures up now, but very soon I'll be posting many more- mostly pics based on my stories. One for this fic should be up soon after this last chapter is posted. ^_^

Two- per request, there will be a short little epilogue included in this chapter. It will be song-fic-ish, and it may be skipped if you so choose. However, I'm sorry, there will be no sequels. As you will soon see, there's really nothing that could be used as a sequel.

Three- I am going to give you all the list of songs that either inspired me for this fic, put me in the mood to write this fic, or I can hear playing in this fic. All in all- here is the list to my `Fragment of Eternity' soundtrack. Why? So you can all make your own. :) Happy listening! (Note: To achieve the most emotional enjoyment, make sure to listen while drinking hot chocolate.)

Tuesday Morning (Michelle Branch; Hotel Paper) (This was the original `Theme Song', but it changed when I found a better one.)

It's You (Michelle Branch; Hotel Paper)

It Was Our Day (B*Witched; Awake and Breathe)

To Where You Are (Josh Groban) (This is the new theme- you'll see why.)

My Will (Symphonic Theme Orchestra; Wind)

The Promise (Jim Brickman; Simple Things)

Catching Twilight (Jim Brickman; Simple Things)

Well, with all that said- I guess this is finally it. A big thanks to everyone who stuck with this fic until the bitter end (er- I mean, the happy end. . . ? ::nervous laugh::)- I really appreciate all the support and love you've shown me over the past few months. I've said it before, and I'll say it again- this is, by far, my favorite story that I've ever written- and I'm so happy you all liked it, too.

Please enjoy this final chapter.


-

-

-

-Fragment of Eternity-

Chapter Twenty Three: The Power of Love

-

-

-

The next morning dawned not quite a glorious as Kagome had secretly hoped- instead of being bright and sunny, the sky was more of a dull gray, blanketed with hundreds of thick, imposing clouds that each seemed to hint of oncoming snowfall. A soft wind blew, as well- though it barely rustled the branches of the trees in the grove. The girl sighed as soon as she looked out her window that morning, still in her pajamas and busy rubbing her tired eyes.

"It's not going to be a good day," she mumbled sleepily, blearily taking in the solemn weather. "I can tell. . ."

With another grumble, she slowly pulled the gauzy curtains back over her bedroom glass, trudging silently towards her closet to change- - -

When her door suddenly flew open, revealing a widely grinning, very toothy Sango.

"Goooooood morning!" she sang brightly, sashaying into the room with an unusual spring in her step. Kagome arched a weary eyebrow at the usually sullen anti-morning person. "And how are we?"

Oh yeah. It wasn't gonna be a good day.

"Sleepy," Kag replied in a slightly slurred voice, closing the open door and turning her back to her friend before slipping on a pair of long black socks and a green jumper. "Really sleepy. . . you?"

"Lovely, thank you," the exterminator beamed, flopping down on the college girl's bed and waiting for Kagome to follow suit. It took a few minutes to make her feet cooperate, but eventually Kag managed to unceremoniously drop like a rock next to Sango on the mattress.

"So, what's with the expression?" the younger girl asked while stifling a yawn. God, she needed some coffee. . . "That smile is so large, it should be fined. . ."

"I couldn't wait to tell you!" Sango gushed, trying to hide her grin with a hand. "I- well- I don't know where to begin!"

"How about at. . . the beginning?" Kagome suggested, her tiredness rather quickly being replaced by curiosity.

"Yes, yes," the exorcist waved an excited hand. "All right. You know how I told you that after all this, Miroku and I were going to change our yellow book number to include ghosts as well?"

"Yeah. . . ?" Kag replied, unsure as to where this was going.

"Well, we sent in the form to do so a while back- when we were out of the house on another job. The new phone book just came out today- and guess what?"

"What?"

"We've gotten over 50 jobs in the last two hours! 50! Kagome, that's more than we usually make in 3 months!" Sango was nearly jumping up and down in excitement, her eyes shining with joy. "Oh- it'll be so much fun! And we'll be known! People will want to use our business! We- - -!"

"Wait, wait, wait!" Kag held up her hands, trying to let this sink in. Where had this come from? It was all so sudden! Her head was already spinning- this news wasn't helping much. "What are you saying?" She pierced her friend with a rather hurt, surprised look. "Are you guys leaving- - -?"

Sango's smile slipped a little at Kagome's expression. "Well- not until we finish up here, but. . ."

"But you're going to. . . ?" the teen's voice sounded small and pathetic, even to her own ears. The exterminator winced.

"You knew we weren't going to stay forever, Kag," Sango reminded her, slowly licking her dry lips. "We will finish up our job on Inu-Yasha, but after that. . ." Her thoughts and voice trailed off.

The teen said nothing, turning her head away. They sat there in silence for a few minutes-

And then Kagome suddenly got to her feet, padding over to the window once again. Peaking out through the curtains, she could see Inu-Yasha sitting in his tree, watching the clouds drift by.

He looked peaceful. . . but at the same time, very worried.

She turned away from that, too.

"Kagome. . . ?"

". . .

. . .

Go."

Sango did a small double take, shooting Kagome an odd look as she leaned against the wall, eyes on the ground and her arms resting behind her- crossed and resting beneath the small of her back. "E-excuse me, Kag- - ?"

"Your job is done," the girl whispered with a sad smile. "You'll get full pay."

"Kago- - -"

"You and your husband may leave whenever you wish. But. . ."

She glanced up, eyes glimmering but dry; her face disappointed but set. "You have to promise to come and visit me whenever you can. It'll get quite. . . .lonely here, you know. . ."

Sango's heart broke for her employer. Sniffing and nodding her promise, she found that her own magenta orbs were quickly growing moist. `Damn softy,' she cursed herself half-heartedly as she stood and walked over to her best friend, opening her arms.

Kag didn't move for a moment- eyes glued upon the outstretched limbs- - -

And then all but threw herself into them, accepting the warm hug hungrily. "Oh, Kagome," the exorcist whispered, running her fingers through her hair in a sisterly way. "Don't fret. Of course we'll visit. Everything will work out in the end, you'll see. Everything."

"But. . ." the college student's muffled voice cracked as she buried her face in the folds of Sango's sweater; trembling. She couldn't hold it in much longer. ". . .no, it won't. It can't. . . you're leaving. . . and. . . no matter what I do, he will. . . he'll have to. . . some time. . . and. . .

And. . ."


The exterminator chuckled sadly, a wise smile on her face as she pulled back- cupping the teen's face with her hands; locking their eyes. "Don't be like that, Kagome," she begged gently. "At least try to be your usual, optimistic self."

"It's hard to see the good in the bad, Sango," Kag retorted quietly. "It's like trying to see the sun at night."

The elder's grin grew a bit. "Have you ever heard of the moon?" She blew out her cheeks and tilted her head, eyes shining down at Kagome with a kind of motherly sheen. The girl couldn't help but find it comforting. "Never underestimate the power of love, Kagome. It helps you through a lot of things you wouldn't expect."

The teen nodded slowly with a loud snivel, though her eyes were- surprisingly- still free of tears. "I guess. . . that's why you and Miroku have made it so far?" she joked weakly, pushing her hair behind her ears with an overly large sleeve.

Sango chuckled dryly, but winked all the same. "That must be it." Patting the girl gently on the back, she turned to leave the room. "I'm going to go start packing," she informed Kag with an apologetic expression. "Call if you need anything, you hear?"

"Fine," Kagome nodded, flopping back down on her bed and crossing her arms over her legs, which had been brought up to her chest. Her eyes were once again upon the window, though she had yet to remove the curtain. "I will."

"Well. . . all right." With one last, worried glance over her shoulder, Sango was gone- and Kagome was left with her thoughts. Her thoughts, which, at the moment, were mostly about how she hated it when she was right.

-

"Did you talk to Kagome?" Miroku asked quietly as Sango closed the door to their room, trying to make as little noise as possible. She nodded, her bound hair bobbing a bit as she turned to face her spouse, an accusing look on her face. "Why did you make me lie?" she hissed, eyes narrowing.

Her husband, who was looming over an open suitcase on the bed, shot her an innocent look. "Lie? Whatever about?"

"There were no calls," she glared, taking a few silent steps closer. "There are no other jobs! Hell- there's not even a new phone book yet! You're making us leave without a purpose! You're making us abandon Kagome! Why?! Have you no conscience or reason?!"

"Oh, I have a reason," the man murmured- more to himself than to Sango. "And I have a conscience as well." He snapped the trunk shut with a serious expression. However, it had left his face within a minute and was abruptly replaced by a smile that he directed towards his irritated wife. "Now- we have a real mess to clean in here, so I would greatly appreciate your help." He shot her a pointed look before allowing his eyes to drag across the messy guest room- taking in the chip crumbs, the strewn books, and the dirty laundry hanging off spare furniture.

"Fine, fine," Sango grumbled, bending down to start organizing some disregarded papers. "But I expect an explanation later on, you hear me?! A good, full one- not the crap you've been trying to feed me, lately. . ." Her muttered complaints continued to rumble through the room for a bit, but the man easily tuned them out, glancing out the window with a suddenly blank expression.

He could see the spirit in the trees, from here.

`What will you do now, Inu-Yasha? Live with a suffering Kagome for eternity, or tell her how you feel? You know which she would prefer. . .

But will you follow through. . . ?'

-

If there was one thing that Inu-Yasha hated- hated more than being dead-

More than being betrayed-

More even, perhaps, than cauliflower (though that one could be pushing it)-

Was being confused or unsure. Or both at the same time. Said emotions always made him irritated, and, seeing as how he usually didn't know why he felt the way he did, he quickly grew more annoyed than before; thus beginning a long and tedious cycle of thinking and yelling that he never, ever enjoyed.

And that was even more unfortunate, seeing as how it seemed to happen at least twice a week- if not twice a day.

Sighing, the spirit massaged his sore temples, eyes shut tightly against the weak sunlight. He really couldn't stand it anymore. Any of it.

His head hurt.

His body hurt.

His mind hurt.

His soul hurt.

And . . .

His heart hurt- perhaps worst of all.

But. . . it probably didn't hurt as much as Kagome's did right now. . .

The spirit ducked his head, gnawing on his lip with a sharp canine as his claws drummed incessantly on his knee cap.

Which was worse? Watching her grow old, suffer, die- and be separated from her forever?

Or giving her up now and. . .

Well. . .

Who knew what would happen? Certainly not him.

But. . .

He did know one thing.

It couldn't go on like this. He needed to do something. He needed to say something. He needed- he just needed something. . .

Another sigh escaped him, making him hunch forward even further- and almost miss the appearance of a tiny, delicate, crystalline snowflake- a frozen teardrop from the heavens that glittered like a star in the dim light.

A star. . .

Inu-Yasha slowly looked up, eyes widening as he watched it dance towards the ground, soon followed by many brothers and sisters.

And suddenly. . .

He knew just what he needed-

He knew just what it'd cost-

And he knew just what he had to do.

-

`The power of love. . .'

Kagome grumbled under her breath as she stalked around the empty kitchen, brooding sulkily and glancing every so often at the many piles of luggage stacked against the foyer walls. `What power? When has love ever helped me? When has it ever helped anyone?! Look at all the trouble it got Inu-Yasha into. . .'

The girl felt the back of her throat grow tight with crushed sobs and shook her head in annoyance, pulling out a mug and a jug of milk from the fridge. `No more crying. It's pointless and a waste of body fluids.' Pouring the white liquid sloppily into her cup and stuffing it into the microwave, she quickly pressed the timer and her back to the wall, sliding down it as she crossed her arms tightly over her chest. "It's just that I don't know what to do. . ." she muttered to herself for what seemed the hundredth time. In reality, however, it was probably well over the hundredth time. "What is there to do? Nothing seems to help anymore. . ."

"Try putting on a smile," came a distinctively male voice from the kitchen doorway. "I find it helps put a brighter spin on things."

?!

Looking up in a rush, Kagome found herself staring into the casually cheerful face of Miroku, who was relaxing against the doorframe with his usual cool air. He grinned before toddling over to sit beside her- leaning back against the wall with one leg bent beneath him and the other comfortably at his chest. "But maybe it's just me, eh?"


"Maybe," Kagome repeated dully, not even trying to fake cheerfulness. "But you have a point, I guess."

"Of course I do. If I didn't, I'd just be a rambling lunatic." He paused, tapping his chin. "Well. . . more so than usual."

This time he managed to get a small giggle from the teen before she fell silence once more-

But it still wasn't getting them anywhere.

He sighed softly before throwing an arm around the girl, wearing a brotherly expression upon his face. "C'mon, Kagome. . . Tell me what's wrong. You know you can always talk to me."

"That's just it," the girl frowned, shifting her weight and ignoring the timer as it went off, signaling that her milk was warm and waiting for her. "You guys are leaving. I won't always be able to talk to you. I don't want you guys to go. . . almost as much as I. . . as I don't want. . . Inu-Yasha to go." Her tongue darted out of her mouth to moisten her lips as her hands began to fidget nervously. Miroku's conscience- the one he had insisted that he had- gave him a rather hard, mental thrashing- one that almost made him wish he didn't have a conscience. One that almost made him tell Kagome the truth-

But he stopped himself just in time.

"Don't worry, Kagome," he settled for. "We'll visit all the time- and we'll call you so often that you'll want to throw the telephone against the wall, just so you don't have to answer anymore. We'll always be friends- I promise."

The girl grinned wistfully; eyes locked on something far away- something that Miroku just couldn't see. At least, that's what the expression in her eyes suggested. "I know. . .

But it's one of the few things that I do."

The man gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze. "Things will work out between you and Inu-Yasha as well, Kagome," he whispered, as if having read her mind. "Things always seem the worse than they really are."

With that he removed his arm and pulled himself up to his feet with a soft grunt, brushing down his jeans and smoothing out the wrinkles in his turtleneck. "Well. . . . We've got to get going, now. We'd like to try and be at our new job before sun down."

Kag nodded silently, face so deprived of emotions that Miroku had to wonder if she had even heard him. He was just about to repeat himself- and to ask if she was feeling all right- when Sango suddenly burst in, looking cheerful but slightly guilty as she walked briskly to Kagome's side. She and her husband exchanged worried glances (and a glare or two) and then Sango leaned down to hug her limp friend.

"Well, we'll be off, Kagome," she chirped, grinning broadly. "You take care of yourself, all right? I'll call as soon as we get to our new job. I promise."

"So many promises. . ." Kag murmured distractedly, looking slightly amused as she suddenly shook her head- and seemed to wake up a bit. At least she acknowledged the married couple's presence- that was a step in the right direction. "So many. . .

Well. . ."

She returned her attention to the pair before her, getting clumsily to her feet and reach her arms out to them. "I'll miss you two," she murmured as she received hugs from each. "Don't you dare forget to call and visit. And I'll tell Inu-Yasha that you've gone."

"I'm sure he'll be thrilled," Miroku muttered under his breath as he rolled his eyes, hoisting two bags in each hand before trudging out the front door, towards their car. "Doesn't seem to like us much. . ."

"Wonder why," Sango grunted sarcastically. Kagome chuckled softly and followed her friend to the door, helping with the final of their small trunks as the exterminator situated herself, making sure her hands were firmly grasping the remaining suitcases she carried. "Well, all the same. . . he won't have to deal with us anymore."

She smiled at Kag as she was handed the last box. "Don't forget, Kagome," she murmured. "The power of love is stronger than you think."

"Must be, for you and Miroku to have remained married for so long," the teen winked, crossing her arms over her chest as if to ward off the cold. Sango laughed and headed out to the awaiting, honking car- took a moment to yell at her husband- - -

Before they both drove off into the snowy mid-day, waving and yelling good-byes through their frosted windows.

And then they were gone.

-

Kagome stood there for a long time, even after the exterminator's auto had gone. Wind and snowflakes whipped past her- making her hair dance and her skirt tickle her legs as it entered the house- but she didn't notice. She didn't have the energy to notice. She didn't have the energy to care.

She didn't even have the energy to move.

But then she saw something from the corner of her eye that brought on her second wind-

The glimpse of an approaching, familiar spirit.

Inu-Yasha.

-

"I cannot believe you made us do that to her," Sango grumbled as her husband found the freeway and paused for a red light. "You know that Inu-Yasha doesn't have much time left! She's going to be all alone."

Miroku shrugged. "Some magic is stronger when it is not helped along."

. . .

The woman shot her husband a withering look. "Excuse me?"

"You said it yourself," he replied calmly. "The power of love is a lot stronger than any of us truly thinks. If we were to remain there, we would only get in their way."

"So we desert them?!"

"Sango," the man sighed, "Do you honestly think Inu-Yasha is going to do ANYTHING with us around? Really! If we had the guts to do so, he would have by now. And anyway, what could we have done to help, in the long run? This is one of those experiences that one needs to face alone."

"But she'll be so sa- - - !"

"Our emotions make us stronger, and our beliefs will help us through," Miroku interrupted quietly. "Things will turn out all right for Kagome and Inu-Yasha. The path love leads us down is never an easy one- full of bumps and potholes. . ." He took a deep breath, hands tightening on the steering wheel. "But when love is strong enough. . .

They'll make it to their destination."

. . .


Sango nodded slowly, her head coming to rest against the window as her eyes gently closed, tears bubbling to the surface. `When love is strong enough. Believe, Kagome. . .

And good luck.'

-

Even Inu-Yasha wasn't quite sure what had happened. All he knew was that he had made his decision on what to do, and that- when he had stuttered out an embarrassing invitation which included taking a walk with him- Kagome had accepted without a moment of hesitation. In fact, she seemed oddly eager to get out of the house- only taking a second to quickly slip on her boots and a coat. She didn't even bother with her favorite pair of mittens.

And now they were trekking silently through the woods- having decided to take one of the many paths around the house instead of just meandering in the grove- eyes on all the beautiful splendors of nature that thrived around them so they wouldn't have to make eye contact.

He could sense the fear within her-

And he couldn't ignore the fear within himself.

Doubt was beginning to cloud he senses again, his mind telling him that he was being stupid. But at the same time. . .

His heart was telling him (in an even louder voice than his mind) that not saying it would be even stupider.

So there he was, walking quietly through the pines and the sleeping sakuras with Kagome, engaged in a fierce internal war that showed no signs of stopping as the sun slowly began to sink lower and lower in the silver-gray sky.

He hated his death.

"So. . ." Kagome suddenly smacked her lips distractedly, eye on a few leafless momiji trees. "How are you?"

Besides the fact that his feelings were tearing him up from the inside out? "Fine, I guess," he shrugged. "And you?"

"Oh, just peachy," the girl replied- though Inu caught a hint of sarcasm. "Just peachy. . . Though I have to say I'm really disappointed that Sango and Miroku have left. . ."

"They've left?" the hanyou arched a surprised eyebrow as Kagome nodded briskly.

"Oh yeah. . . just about an hour ago. Got a new job."


"But what about this one?" the ghost questioned seriously, jabbing a thumb at himself. Kag caught his eye for half a second, and then pasted her gaze on her feet.


"They've already left me, Inu-Yasha," she replied in tones of forced casualness. "I don't want you to leave, too."

The spirit swallowed- and his heart and mind continued their little game of tug-of-war.

"But. . ." Kagome sighed, stuffing her hands in her pockets as foggy smoke floated up from her mouth. "I know that someday soon. . . you'll have to." She smiled slightly, a joyless chuckle escaping her lips as she closed her eyes and lifted her face to the sky. "Ironic, isn't it? How at first all I wanted was to be left alone. . . And now all I want is to keep the world with me."

Inu-Yasha bit his lip, striding a few paces forward to stand beside her. He could already see the tears- the ones she'd worked so hard to suppress- being to glimmer in her glossy eyelashes. "Kagome. . ."

"Inu-Yasha," she interrupted softly, her eyelashes fluttering as she turned towards him, standing face to face, "you know I love you. And I know you must be tired of hearing that, but. . .

But. . ."

Her chin started to quiver as her trembles returned, the sheer weight of all her troubles and worries finally crashing down upon her in full force. She shook her head forcefully, tears flying everywhere. "But I- I don't care! You need to know it! You need to!" she forced out, looking pleadingly into the spirit's amber orbs. "You need to know that, even if Kikyo didn't, I do! I love you, Inu-Yasha! More than anything!"

. . .

Inu-Yasha didn't reply for a moment, his body stock-still and his eyes never leaving hers. But when she moved- when she broke that eye contact-

He moved as well.

The girl gasped softly when his hand suddenly moved towards her cheek- stopping an inch or so from her flesh before gently turning her head back to his. His face seemed closer than ever before- so close that, if she could, she'd be able to touch it with the tip of her nose. Her breath caught in her throat at the realization.

But then he said something that wiped all thoughts from her mind.

"And I. . ." he murmured softly, a small, rare smile playing on his lips. "I love you. . . More than anything.

I love you, Kagome."

Time stood still.


Her heart stopped.

The wind picked up.

And Inu-Yasha's time as a ghost ended.

His life force was gone.

This new fact sunk in so quickly that even Kagome wasn't sure how she knew it- but it became quite evident that she was right as the clocks started ticking for the couple again- and Inu-Yasha's ghostly body began to decay before their very eyes: slowly disintegrating from the feet up. Kagome felt her chest tighten as glittering wisps of red began to ride on the air that was beginning to swirl around them, faster and faster.

"Wh-what's happening- - - ?" she choked, face paling. She already knew the answer- but she needed to hear it out loud before she even tried to accept it.

Inu-Yasha swallowed, feeling horror, guilt, and sadness fill his every pore. "I. . . I'm moving on. . ."

The words shattered Kagome's heart like a knife.

"No. . ." she whispered, covering her mouth with her hands as little pieces of the spirit's ankles continued to fade away. "No, please- - - don't leave- not you, too," she begged, her tears now falling so fast that they were beginning to make her jacket freeze over. Her ragged gasps echoed in Inu-Yasha's animalistic ears as she continued to cry. "I can't stand to see you go. . ."

"Kagome. . ." the hanyou breathed softly, his hands beginning- as they so often did- to reach out for her moist cheeks; itching to dry them- to comfort her. "Kagome, please. . . don't cry. . ." He had to fight back a sob of his own as his shaking hands inched closer to her face. "God. . ." he murmured- so quiet that even he had a hard time hearing himself, "I wish I could touch you. . .

Just this once. . .

Please. . ."

And as Kagome began to turn away, she felt a strange sensation- - -

The warm pulse of a callused finger tip against her skin.

!

"Wha. . . what. . .?"

Both froze in utter shock- Kagome slowly turning her face back to Inu-Yasha- his eyes as wide and surprised as her own as his hand caressed her cheek- his palm rough and his clawed digits resting gently upon the nape of her neck.

"Oh my God. . ." the girl whispered, her hands coming to cover her mouth once more- the corners of her eyes wrinkling as her heart beat loudly in her chest. "Oh. . .

My. . .

God!" she laughed, a huge watery beam forming on her face as tears continued to glitter in her eyes. Her hands shot to his chest, his hands, his face- running over his smooth, muscular skin- trying to make sure he was real.

And he seemed - no matter how unlikely- to be just that.

Within seconds he began to laugh as well, and Kagome suddenly found herself in the air- his arms wrapped around her waist as he spun her around and around, smiling the whole time.

But it was too good to last.

For when he pulled her into a tight embrace, his face buried in her hair, Kagome suddenly noticed that- though his body was solid- not all of him was there.

He was still disappearing.

He was still dead.

"In- Inu-Yasha," she gasped, eyes lingering for a moment on his disintegrating legs before locking with his eyes once more. "Y- you still- - -"

"Shhh," he soothed gently, his arms still around her. "I know. I know. We haven't got much time. At least, not now."

Kagome nodded silently, her burst of joy already beginning to ebb away.

"Kagome," Inu-Yasha whispered, pushing a few strands of hair behind her ears. "I love you. I love you more than I ever thought it was possible to love someone. I love you more than anything." He took a deep breath, intertwining their hands and placing them over his heart. The girl faintly noticed something slip onto her finger as he did so, but paid no attention. "Still, I have to leave you for a while. No matter what we do, I'll have to go. . ."

"I know," she nodded, a smile still on her face; the tears still pouring from her eyes; the love still shining in her heart.

"But Kag, we will be together again someday," he whispered forcefully, his hands tightening around hers as his torso slowly began to fade into the wind; growing oddly transparent. "I swear it. I'll wait for you. I'll wait for you forever, Kagome." He swallowed, eyes serious and heart pounding. "Will you wait for me. . . ?"

A small, disbelieving laugh escaped the girl as her eyes shone and their hair danced around their forms. "You need to ask. . . ?" she teased softly, her lashes fluttering shut as his clawed hand gently pulled her chin forward- their faces mere millimeters apart and their noses brushing each other. "Of course I'll wait. . ."

"Just making sure."

With that all space between them vanished- their lips locking in a sweet, long awaited kiss that soothed all their worries; took away all their pain- and filled each with undying hope.

Somehow they knew their love would prevail.

And that knowledge was enough for the both of them.

-

By the time Kagome opened her eyes again, he was gone- nothing more than glowing strands of crimson soul that swirled up with the snow towards a sudden opening in the clouds- an opening that allowed the beauty of the rosy sunset to pour freely down upon her. Instinctively moving her hand to shadow her eyes from the bright sun, she noticed something that made her pause.

A flash of silver on her ring finger.

"What. . . ?"

She frowned curiously, holding her hand up to the light- - -

And found a braided ring- one that hadn't been there previously- innocently decorating her finger.

The engagement ring.

She blinked in surprise as a soft wind blew through- a wind almost identical to all other winds. But Kagome, her tear filled eyes on the sky as she dropped her hand once again, could detect a subtle difference in it.

This one smelt of sakura- of her hanyou's tree. Sakura in winter.

`Perhaps the power of love is stronger than I give it credit for,' she thought with a warm smile- a smile that she knew- somewhere up there- Inu-Yasha could see.

Her Inu-Yasha.

The man she would wait for- no matter how long.

"Yes. . ." she nodded to herself, pressing her ringed hand to her heart as she lightly closed her eyes. "I'll wait for you, Inu-Yasha. I'll wait for you for eternity."

"Heaven, heaven was calling you

Heaven, heaven, needed you. . .

We'll join our hands again some day

And trade kisses before night

And talk of times we had

Oh, we'll be together, oh, someday!
And watch over the stars at night!
And laugh at the fun we had. . .

It was our day.

Oh, yeah. . ." ~ It Was Our Day; B*Witched

It never failed to fascinate her- how the daylight, no matter how bright, strong, and true- was always swallowed by the darkness of twilight- the creamy blues and pastel reds always devoured by shades of indigo, dark lilac, and navy.

Not that it was a bad thing- for night always was accompanied by the shimmering stars that she held so dear. The stars that reminded her of him.

Kagome sighed, leaning tiredly against her bedroom window. Around her on the floor many pictures and portraits lay- some hers, some Inu-Yasha's, some Kikyo's. . . all preserved by a small layer of dust and cobwebs. Beside her a fresh masterpiece sat in an ancient easel, its pastel colors still fresh.

As always, it was of him- of how she pictured him in heaven- waiting for her in the living version of his sakura tree.

A small smile tugged on her wrinkled lips, a wisp of her downy white hair escaping its braid to tickle her nose as the wind blew through- a wind perfumed with the scent of cherry blossoms.

And she knew in her heart he was back again, for the night- like always.

Even if she couldn't see him. . .

She knew he was there.

Who can say for certain

Maybe you're still here

I feel you all around me

Your memory so clear

Deep in the stillness

I can hear you speak

You're still an inspiration

Can it be. . . ?

That you are mine

Forever, love

And you are watching over me from up above

Sighing wearily, the old woman got to her feet- her actions accompanied by the cracking of her joints- and toddled towards her bed, crawling slowly under the covers and cuddling into the pillows. The moon was rising outside- she could see its rays push through the glass of the window, casting her room in a shadowy light. She could just make out the framed photos she kept all upon the walls- those of her, Sango, and Miroku having fun on their annual visits: Kagome holding their first child and her godson- a little boy named Kyo; celebrating Miroku's 50th birthday; mourning the death of Sango's cat, Kirara; watching Kyo go off to college. . .

Thankfully, he didn't buy his own house.

Kagome chuckled quietly at the thought, eyes leaving the pictures and instead dawdling on the white plaster ceiling.

Fly me up to where you are

Beyond the distant star

I wish upon tonight

To see you smile

If only for a while to know you're there

A breath away's not far

To where you are

It was too bad. . .

That Inu-Yasha couldn't have been there during all those times- both the good and the bad. But at least he wasn't lonely or anything. . .

He had probably met up with Sango, by now. . .

The girl swallowed hard as she began to twist the silver ring on her finger- the one she had never removed. Not once.

Even though she had developed some rather nasty habits because of it. Such as twisting it whenever she became nervous.

But though many people found it annoying, or perhaps even immature- it made her feel better. Like Inu-Yasha was closer- right there to help her though her problems. Perhaps that was what he intended when he gave her the ring-

Perhaps it was just to solidify their promise.

Either way. . .

Are you gently sleeping

Here inside my dreams

And isn't faith believing

All power can't be seen

As my heart holds you

Just one beat away

I cherish all you gave me

Everyday

Kagome yawned sleepily, her eyes growing heavy with fatigue. But before she closed them, she caught the glimmer of a shooting star through the curtains covering her window.

A good omen- a comforting sign.

She smiled as her eyes fluttered shut, recalling the familiar prayer she wished upon the stars every night: `Please keep my friends and family safe and happy. . . And Inu-Yasha. Keep him safe and happy too. And when you're willing, someday- someday soon- please bring us together. Amen.'

`Cause you are mine

Forever, love

Watching me

From up above

And I believe

That angels breathe

And that love will live one and never leave!

Yes. . .

Someday soon. . . .

She couldn't wait.


Fly me up

To where you are

Beyond the distant star

I wish upon tonight

To see you smile!
If only for a while

To know your there

She stifled another yawn as she felt herself drift off, allowing her tired mind to ease her into dreams of the `someday soon' that was closer than she ever could have imagined.

A breath away's not far

To where you are

-

"Wha. . . ? What is this place. . . ?"

Kagome blinked in surprise, spinning this way and that- trying to figure out where she was. She seemed to be in a forest clearing of sorts- a grove. A grove of sakura trees that were all abloom- proudly displaying their petals of silk pink. Around her ankles lush, soft grass grew in vibrant, healthy shades of green; and above her the sky shone the brilliant shades of twilight- the moon, the sun, and the stars all glittering in their full glory.

This wasn't where she had fallen asleep, was it. . . ?

Blinking in confusion, she lifted a hand to scratch her head- - -

And nearly died of shock when she saw how smooth it was- how supple and- - -


And young- - - ?!

Her eyes widened as a playful breeze blew through- a breeze smelling of cherry blossoms- and began to tousle her hair. A few silky strands suddenly blew into her eyes- surprising her with the rich ebony shade.

`How. . . ?' she thought in utter astonishment- - -

And then it hit her.

"Oh my God. . ." she whispered, her heart pounding loudly in her ears.

"`Oh my God' is right," a familiar voice chuckled from above her- a voice that she had craved so long to hear just one more time.

But. . .

Could it really be. . . ?

Not trusting her own senses, Kagome slowly turned around, tears glittering in her blue-gray orbs as she saw him- Inu-Yasha- just as she knew he'd be waiting: comfortably aloft in the living version of his cherry tree. The breeze blew through again- warm and sweet- combing through his long sheet of silver hair as his golden eyes locked with her own storm colored ones.

"It's about time," he grunted, hopping causally out of the branches and striding slowly over to the trembling, beaming teenage girl. "I was beginning to think you were gonna live forever."

Kagome laughed shakily, still unable to believe the sight before her. "Well," she smiled, "I guess I did hold on for a while. . ."

"A while?! You clung to life for 102 fricken' years!" His doggy ears lowered in a pout. "I missed you!"

"And I missed you," Kag whispered sincerely as the boy came to a stop before her, his hands on his hips as he tried- and failed- to glare. "But here I am."

"Here you are," he repeated, letting the charade drop as a gentle look found its way into his eyes. "And you waited. You actually waited."

"Of course I did," she grinned, shaking her head at his stupidity as his arms suddenly wrapped around her waist, cradling her close. "I promised. And, after all, I am an important fragment of your eternity."

I know you're there. . .

Inu-Yasha chuckled, pulling Kag even closer- so close that his lips were next to her ear.

"You are my eternity, Kagome. . ."

A breath away's not far. . .

With that, the hanyou pulled the girl into a heart-stopping kiss- signifying the end of their long, hard journey down the path of love.

To where you are.

-

-

-

::sobs uncontrollably for the next five minutes:: Noooo! That can't be the end- - - !

But it is. T-T

I sincerely hope you all enjoyed it and found it at least a little happy. (If not, I'm going to have quite a few, very angry reviewers on my tail, won't I? ::sweatdrops:: )

Anyway, as promised, here is the summary for my next chapter fic: Mermaids. It will be a PG-13 romance/general, I do believe. And here is the blurb about it:

Kagome runs a seaside bar called Autumn Leaves- a popular place for sailors and seamen of all kind to come relax, have a drink, and talk about their homes. And though Kag likes many of the men there- all of whom seem to really like her- she has sworn to never fall in love with a man who lives for the ocean.
But suddenly, with the appearance of a new, silver haired sailor, her whole world turns upside down.

I'll be posting the prologue as soon as this is posted. I hope you'll all give it a chance. ^_^

. . .

I guess that's it!

Once again, guys, thank you so much for making this fic such a success. I love you all, and wish you pleasant reading. (Oh- and go treat yourself to a nice cup of cocoa, while you're at it. ;) )

Ja ne!

Hugs, kisses, and moon-lit nights,

Maiden of the Moon