InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fragments ❯ The Consequences of Privilege ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Title: The Consequences of Privilege
Author: LuxKen27
Universe: Alternate
Genre: Drama
Rating: T
Word Length: 1260
Summary: “Don’t part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.” – Mark Twain

Entry for: mirsan_fics Prompt #14, “Part”

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

“We are following up on several promising leads,” one of the police detectives said, bowing his head to express his cautious concern. “We will keep you informed on the matter, as always, Ms. Takeda.”

“Thank you – and please, call me Sango,” Sango replied, attempting to shield the annoyance in her voice at being addressed with her fiancé’s surname. “Also – will you send an update to my parents, as well?”

The detectives exchanged looks as they stood, bending into short bows before gathering their overcoats. “Of course, Ms. Takeda.”

Sango furrowed her brow. “Wait,” she called out, standing herself as her weekly visitors made their way to the door of her hotel room. “What was that look for?”

“What look?” the second detective asked, feigning ignorance behind a polite smile.

Sango frowned. “Don’t play coy with me,” she replied bluntly. “My parents deserved to be appraised of this case just as much as I am – it’s their son you’re looking for, after all.”

A sinking feeling entered her gut as the two exchanged another look. What is this? she wondered to herself. Don’t tell me I’m the only one who’s been informed about the ongoing investigation lately! She didn’t like the meaning implied. These weekly reports, from the two detectives still actively working on her brother’s disappearance, were one of the few shreds of sanity she had to cling onto. These briefs not only bolstered her hope of finding her brother, they strengthened her resolve that he was still alive.

After all, why else would the police work a practically cold case, unless…?

“Ms. Takeda, your parents have asked the Osaka police to contact them only when we know for sure the whereabouts of your brother,” the second detective finally said, a slightly concerned expression marring her otherwise pleasant face.

Sango crossed her arms over her chest. “But you said you’re following up on ‘very promising leads’,” she protested. “They deserve to know – ”

“Good day, Ms. Takeda,” the first detective interrupted, falling into another short bow as he reached for his hat. “If you have any more questions, I suggest you speak to your fiancé,” he added in a low voice.

Sango narrowed her eyes and balled her hands into fists, her irritation growing at his unfailingly polite use of Karanousuke’s name to address her. He’s not my husband yet, she groused silently, granting the two detectives a tense smile as they crossed into the corridor outside her room.

A hand landed on the door just as she was about to close it. “Sango, we need to talk,” followed a smooth, but firm, voice.

“I was just about to say the same,” she mused in response, holding the door open, allowing her estranged partner to enter the room. “The detectives told me they deferred to you in this matter.”

Karanousuke’s brow winkled as he studied her, his eyes running down the length of her body and back before he replied. “I’m only abiding by your wishes, my love.”

“My wishes?” Sango repeated skeptically. “I don’t follow.”

He sighed. “You wish to stay informed on the status of the investigation into your brother’s disappearance,” he explained, his tone overly patient. “And I can make that happen for you. I have made that happen for you, every week for the last three years.”

Sango gave him a long, hard look, his words soaking into her consciousness. The sinking feeling in her stomach twisted into a painful knot. “What are you saying?” she asked, after a moment. “Am I only receiving these weekly meetings because you’re the police commissioner’s son?”

Karanousuke shrugged, reaching out to clasp her hands.

Sango pulled away. “Is there something you’re not telling me?”

A small smile pulled at the corners of his mouth. “Of course not, Sango. My only wish is to for you to be happy.”

Angst and annoyance churned in her gut; she sensed that he was, indeed, keeping something from her. That was so like him: he tried to protect her, as if she was some fragile flower in need of constant nurture. Maybe she had needed that, in her most vulnerable moment, when she first met him all those years ago, after his father had taken a personal interest in her case…

…but three years had passed since; she had long ago locked that vulnerability behind a stubborn, defensive wall.

“You think I’m happy, knowing my brother is still out there, lost and scared?” she burst out, again crossing her arms tightly over her chest. “Well, let me be the first to tell you – I’m not.”

“Indeed,” Karanousuke replied easily, unperturbed by her terse manner. “I imagine that’s why you spend your evenings at some little dive bar in the city?”

Sango clamped her lips shut, her eyes falling to rest on the floor. She examined the space that separated them – it felt much larger than a few feet. Sometimes she wondered if she wasn’t staring back at him from across a gulf the size of a canyon, for all that he appeared to understand her internal unrest.

So unlike Miroku…

“I don’t think you should see him anymore, Sango,” Karanousuke murmured softly. “It’s not right.”

It’s not right?” she repeated incredulously. “And what is right, telling your father’s men to lead me on, give me false hope that my brother’s case might actually break sometime soon?”

“We all have a part to play in this life,” he replied, gazing back at her with equal parts determination and serenity. “My role is to shield you as best I know how. You’ve been through so much, and you, more than anyone else I’ve ever known, deserve to have a stable, normal life. Your role is to be that woman, a loving and devoted wife to me, a mother to our children, and a daughter to my family. We took you in, Sango. We love you, and we only want what’s best for you.”

He took a step towards her, reaching to cup her face in his hands. “And what’s best for you is to learn to make peace with your past, and move on with your future.”

Sango could only stand there, her breath ragged in her chest as tears threatened behind her eyes. The differences between this man, who declared to love her, and Miroku – who merely accepted her – had never been quite so stark.

“How can you say that? You know what finding Kohaku means to me, and the preservation of my family.” She drew a deep breath, calling on every reserve of calm she had. “I will not move past this, not without closure.”

His thumbs brushed the sides of her face in gentle strokes; his gaze met hers in thoughtful study. “You want to know the truth?” he asked.

“Yes,” she pleaded, her voice barely hovering above a whisper.

His hands slipped down to her shoulders, giving her a comforting squeeze. “Will you stop running to him, if I tell you what I know?”

She swallowed past the hard lump that had formed in her throat. He sounded – and looked – like he wanted to cry, which was doing the knot in her stomach no favors. “Just be honest with me,” she urged him.

He nodded, taking a deep breath, his expression clearing of its previous panicky features. “There is a lead in your brother’s case,” he said, his tone carefully neutral.

He closed his eyes, inhaling sharply as he pulled her into his arms. “Now please, promise me you won’t go back to that place. Stay with me, where you belong.”