InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ From Beginning to End ❯ The Fear ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sorry its taken me this long, but high schools been distracting. So, Im here. Yell at me for taking so long if you like, I deserve it. Just dont be too harshheh.


-


-


-


-


-


-


Disclaimer: I dont own Inuyasha. Not one bit. But I can wish, cant I?

-


-


-


From Beginning to End


-


-


-


--- Last Chapter ---


Later on that day, Kagome recalled the look Inu Yasha had given her when theyd reached the first challenge. And that was when she realized the emotion buried in the molten orbs


It was hope. Faith in her. Kagome. The woman whos throat hed been at since theyd all met.


Life was just strange sometimes.


--- End of Last Chapter ---


-


-


-


Chapter Ten: The Fear


-


-


-


Um Kagome looked around, obviously trying to find something to break the pressing silence. Miroku and Sango were too far up ahead to really offer any relief from the quiet, and Shippou was asleep. Kirara sure wouldnt help


Inu Yasha sighed, his arms stuffed up his sleeves as he looked around him, like the tunnel was actually interesting. Its a lovely place, aint it? He asked sarcastically.


Kagome scowled and scuffed the toe of her sandals as she continued to walk. Beautiful, she shot back. Is it always this


Boring? Inu Yasha growled, Hell yeah. Its like this giant stone tunnel up until we reach the center of the labyrinth.


Oh, Kagome blinked, Well then, if I havent lost my mind yet, this oughta do the trick.


Optimistic little thing, arent you?


She eyed him dryly. Sometimes. Is that a crime?


Not really, Inu Yasha broke off the conversation, looking away from her again.


Kagome sighed. At least he was trying to talk to her, she decided. Inu Yasha wasnt so bad half the time. Sure, shed known him for what, two days? Whatever. Whens the next challenge coming up? She asked him finally, looking over and up at his profile.


His jaw stiffened as he thought it over. After sniffing a bit, like there was some scent that would tell him, he shrugged. Well make it there before we have to camp for the night. Then the third wont be for awhile, well probably get a day of rest before we find it.


We? Kagome grinned. He was using we as in he was including himself in the group now, even after such a short time. Thanks, she murmured finally when he glanced at her, expecting an answer.


Inu Yasha shrugged, not having the slightest clue in what the hell she was thanking him for. Kagome was even weirder than Kikyou. Both were hard to read, he thought, but Kagome definitely had more quirks. Who in the world knew a woman could be so sweet one minute and then have someone cowering from her yelling the next? She was also too annoying for her own good, Inu Yasha might just have to rip her head off before the challenges had a chance to do it themselves.


Nah, he thought. It would be more interesting to keep her around.


Up ahead, Sango was leaning on Mirokus shoulder, his arm wrapped around her shoulders. Why do you think Kagomes taking this so well? Sango asked, looking up for a second at the monks surprisingly serious eyes. The man seemed to be thinking over something when shed interrupted him. But the look passed and his good natured humor was back sparkling in them.


I dont know. I have to keep pinching myself to make sure its not some wacky dream.


Sango hummed before looking back in front of her. Even though her body seemed relaxed, her senses were always reaching out to try and find any threat. Shed been preened from birth to be a fighter, a hunter, an assassin. Out of all of the group she was now a part of, she was probably the most experienced. Even Inu Yasha would have to work hard to out-wit her and her slayer techniques.


But if Sango was the real fighter of the group, then what were the others? Miroku was definitely the thinker, the planner, the strategist of them. For all his sexual innuendos, he did say meaningful things at times. His perverted antics were just a front to keep everyone relaxed. Shippou probably shared the job of being the comic relief with the monk. Kagome? She was trained not in the offense of the body, but of her spiritual powers. She wasnt strong, she wasnt all that fast, but she did have the best skills when it came to finding powers.


But Inu Yasha? Sango scowled as she thought of the half demon. What was wrong with all her companions? He worked for Naraku! Unlike Shippou, Inu Yasha was old enough to actually be playing them all. What if hed lied, and was really leading them straight into a pit of spikes?


Why would he so willingly lead us? I dont think Inu Yasha would actually listen to Naraku. He seems like the kind of ass to rather die than take orders, so why isnt he dead? Why is he here acting like our guide? Sango felt a stab of guilt in her stomach. Both for being so untrusting toward the hanyou, but also for putting her friends in danger for letting the silver-haired man walk with them.


But the most important question of all was what was in it for Inu Yasha?


A head above Sango, Mirokus violet eyes were hard again. He was deep into his thoughts, and they werent all that different from his girlfriends.

Kagome, he knew, was too kind-hearted for her own good. She could stand up for herself, she could be strong if needed, but she was too easily swayed. She was, to put it bluntly, a bleeding heart.


Shed probably help a violent rabid dog on the side of some road just because it was bleeding.


And what if the young mikos gentleness was getting them in trouble? Miroku was naturally a friendly person, no pun intended. He was a people person, the most out of the three friends. He was the one to ask for directions, to calm down upset strangers when no one else would get close enough to try.


But he was seriously thinking that it may have been better to have left Inu Yasha when theyd first found him. Or to have even gone as far as to kill him.


Miroku winced. What was he thinking? They didnt know Inu Yasha, but he hadnt given them any hardcore evidence that he shouldnt be trusted.


But still


Miroku would prefer not to get to close to the half demon. That way, if the time came, the monk could kill the golden-eyed man if he really did pose a threat.


Kagome didnt seem to be thinking that.


She had finally engaged the half demon in a conversation. Shed found a topic and was sticking to it. Professional fighting. Boxing, fencing, wrestling


So they get paid money to beat the crap out of other people? Inu Yashas eyes were, to say simply, malicious.


Kagome laughed. Oh yeah. Blood, scrapes, you name it, its there. Then you can get rich off of it! I like to hole myself up in my rooms on the weekends and watch it sometimes. When some girls were going to the prom, I was at home munching on popcorn and watching karate tournaments. It was great.


Prom? he asked, looking at her blankly.


Kagome shrugged before smiling. Its a party. People from your high school, one of the places you can go to learn, go to this dance. And they hang out and drink and eat and dance and its supposed to be great. The guy asks you out, or the girl can too, and you go together. Its huge! The girls will spend hours trying on the dresses, trying to find the perfect one. The guys wait till the last minute before finally doing what they have to do.


And you didnt go? Inu Yasha looked confused. Kagome had been so excited just explaining the thing and she didnt even go to it?


The smile faded and the girl shrugged uncomfortably. She tugged at her black hair while looking down at her feet. No one asked me.


Inu Yasha frowned. Didnt you just say that the girl could ask the guy if she really wanted to?


Kagome blushed. I didnt have the guts to try and ask out the boy I had a crush on.


Crush?


She giggled, reminding herself of when she had been a real as corn schoolgirl. The boy I liked.


Uh huh, Inu Yasha said slowly.


Kagome stared off in front of her, her eyes a bit glazed over. His name was Hojo. I dont know where he is right now. I think he went off and is studying to be a lawyer. I was too busy being the Guardian of the Great Damn Jewel to go to college, so I take classes over the computer.


He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye but decided against asking about a com-pue-tor.


Leaving the priestess to her thoughts, Inu Yasha went to his own. They were jumbled, and confused, but the main part of them was Naraku. The bastard that just had to screw up everyone elses lives. Do you know what its like to have to answer to the man that you hate more than anything?


Inu Yasha go guard the entrance to my home, let only the warriors of the greatest power through.


Yes Master.


Inu Yasha do as I say without complaint, or you will be punished. Horribly.


Yes Sir.


Inu Yasha, go


Sometimes Inu Yasha just wanted Naraku to order him to do something like lick his boots clean just for a break in the same old orders of pain and death.


The worst part was that grease balls oily voice. It was like Naraku was a snake whod swallowed a quart of oil, it was so sickly smooth. Oh how Inu Yasha wished he could just slam a claw through the mans throat just to shut the guy up!


Kagome was thinking about her life before.


The prom.


High School.


That was when the world knew there was the Shikon no Tama, and that it was protected by a powerful miko, but not who that guardian was. It was before she turned 18, before it was released to the entire earth that Kagome Higurashi was the priestess who held the jewel. No one, except the select few, knew who the protectors name was until then.


Shed grown up with Miroku and Sango, both of her friends knowing that she had the Shikon, but that hadnt done much. It wasnt like her best friends had sucked up to her or anything, theyd treated her normally. Unlike anyone else whod known.


She missed high school


But of course, Kagome reminded herself, she didnt have to hide from raging fans or anything. True, people knew her name, knew what she did, but no one really knew what she looked like. She wasnt some celebrity who went on talk shows for interviews or anything, and there wasnt really any reason to release her picture to the news.


Only people who knew her personally could say what she looked like.


But that was over now, Kagome thought glumly. When Naraku had stolen the jewel, shed been taken to court. There were so many news cameras there is such little time, that itd have been impossible to hide her face.


Now the world was hiding behind her, Kagome growled low in her throat. She was the only one able to get the damn jewel and if she couldnt, theyd just kill her so that no one would have it! They were such cowards!


But that brought back her earlier question. If the jewel disappeared when she died, then why would Naraku risk having her go through the maze? Why not just make his evil wish on the jewel before time ran out, and then taint it? Then hed have what he wanted and he could kill her to get rid of the threat.


Naraku hadnt made a wish yet, Kagome knew. Shed have felt it if the jewel had been tainted even more.


The jewel would stay in the world until she died. There wasnt any way to get rid of it, when it was in her hands it was as purified as it could get, and why would the entire world get rid of such a power?


Selfish jerks, Kagome thought darkly.


It was way too confusing. All the information whirled around her brain, so Kagome just thought of the barest details and left it at that. Get the jewel, or die trying. The world would be safe either way. Deal with Naraku when she got there, not worry herself sick before then.


And as soon as I get there, Ill tear him inside out and then strangle him with his own intestines.


Miroku, Sango, and Inu Yasha were all thinking the same thing.


-


-


-


Were close, Inu Yasha broke the silence, startling everyone out of their thoughts.


Really? Kagome asked, looking out into the darkness ahead of them like she could see the next challenge. How hard will it be?


Inu Yasha smirked. That depends. For some its way too easy, for others it could be the hardest fuckin thing in the world.


Oh that helps, Sango snapped, glaring at the half demon. Inu Yasha shrugged.


I told you that I couldnt tell you about the traps.


Sango kept on glaring until Miroku quietly suggested that she try the breathing exercises shed learned in anger management.


That bruise would definitely be there for awhile.


Kagome, in her excitement, pushed her way to the front of the group. A few minutes passed by until suddenly a clawed hand reached out and grabbed her roughly around the wrist, yanking her back into the owners chest.


What the hell? Kagome squeaked, stopping her struggling to glare up hotly at Inu Yasha.


The half demon thanked the darkness that covered his red cheeks from view, and released her gruffly. You almost walked right into the challenge! He barked loudly.


Kagome lost the glare and her eyes widened as she realized hed just saved her from whatever the hell the next trap was. Ohsnap.


Miroku patted her lightly on the shoulder, helping to calm her. Its okay, Lady Kagome. Alls well that ends well!


It hasnt ended yet, Sango pointed out. Collectively, the three turned to the next challenge.


The darkness wasnt really helping.


The three humans continued to stare out into the blackness before the torches along the wall finally lit up. Thats when they saw it. A large stretch of blue, so dark it was almost black. Water.


Sango looked at it, frowning. The challenge is a lake in the tunnel? Said tunnel had spread out to be ten times the size itd been while theyd been walking, and the water stretched from wall to wall, and pretty damn far out ahead of them.


Inu Yasha nodded. You have to get across.


Okay, Kagome said slowly, eyeing the lake, How deep is it.


Bottomless, Inu Yasha said instantly. Thats the trick. You cant swim, thats the one rule. You couldnt even try. The waters enchanted, so as soon as you wet, you forget how to swim so you drown.


Oh, Kagome muttered. Thats nice. So how do we get across without swimming?


Thats for me and you to find out. Thisll take awhile, the half demon announced, sitting down to watch with an amused smirk twisting his handsome face. He wondered if theyd actually figure it out


Kagome turned around to meet her friends eyes. Any ideas? She asked.


Miroku was stroking his chin in thought. I dont see a boat or anything enough like it to use in the same way. Perhaps theres a ledge winding around the outside of this puddle so that we can walk along, against the wall, he suggested.

walked over to a sconce and lifted a flaming torch out. Walking to the point where the floor dropped off, she held the light so that it danced off the walls.


There was no ledge.


I guess not, Miroku muttered, disappointed.


Sango came back and patted him reassuringly on the shoulder, he returned her action with a pat on the backside. Kagome waited patiently through another round of grope-and-slap before stepping between them. Raising her eyebrows at them both, she smothered a smile. They never ceased to amaze her.


Or entertain, as the matter seemed to be.


Can you two be serious for a minute! She complained, even though they all knew she wasnt serious herself. Rolling her eyes, Kagome picked up the sleeping Shippou, whod been on Mirokus shoulder up to the point when Sango had kicked her boyfriend, and walked over to Inu Yasha.


Glaring at him in warning not to try anything mean, Kagome laid the kitsune in the dog demons lap and returned to the challenge.


Inu Yasha leaned back into the wall, knowing it might take this group awhile. People who relied on only brute strength [like him] had the hardest trouble with this, but the thinkers figured it out quick enough. All three humans were both strong physically and mentally, as far as he could tell, so he didnt know how long it would take.


Inu Yasha didnt bet his money on the demon huntress. She used wit and cunning, but not philosophy or reasoning. No offense, but he doubted Kagome would be the first to get it either. The half demon knew that both women would find the answer on their own, but it would take awhile.


Miroku was the one. The monk would be the first to get it. He was easily the thinker of the group.


But how long?


I think I have it


Miroku and Kagome turned to the brunette. Sango wasnt looking at the water any more, she was looking at Kirara. We could ride Kirara across, couldnt we?


Kagome started to smile, glad that she had her friends to help her, but suddenly Sango frowned.


Never mind, the assassin murmured. It wont work.


Why not? Kagome asked. She couldnt see any problem. Kirara could transform and carry them across. The fire cat demon could fly safely over the water. But to her surprise, Miroku agreed with Sango.


Theres not enough room to ride Kirara, Miroku pointed out to the confused miko. See, Kagome-sama? Over the water, the ceiling dips so that there isnt a lot of room. Perhaps she could make it over on her own, but with three people on her back, wed never make it.


Even with us ducking down, Kiraras feet would sweep over the water, her legs are so long, Sango continued. And then the spell might work and drag us in.


Kagome looked over her shoulder to Inu Yasha, and the half demon confirmed their theory. Even just getting your feet wet would activate that blasted spell. Youd be pulled in.


But, he went on silently, If youd of tried it out before figuring that Kiraras feet would have touched the water, if youd done it without knowing, then youd have made it. But you all had to be stupid and consider it all the way through and ruin it.


Kagome sighed unhappily. I bet this is another of those stupid challenges thats really a lot easier than it looks. Like those doors back there, the answers right in front of our noses!


Inu Yasha covered up his smirk.


The three humans continued to think it over. They couldnt swim across, or theyd drown, and there wasnt a bridge or a boat.


Swim, boat, or bridge. Those are the easiest answers! Kagome grumbled. What else is there to do, walk across?!?


Inu Yasha opened his mouth, but Sango cut him off. I say we camp here and think about it until morning, by then well have figured out how to cross. What do you all think?


I know what I think! Inu Yasha growled. Were not camping. Uh-uh, no way! This was about the time he put his promise to help these numskulls to good use. Hed said hed help them get to Naraku so that they could help free him, so now he was going to do it!


Hoisting himself up, Inu Yasha walked over to where the group was. As far as Im concerned, you figured it out. So Ill go across, so that you know how, even though you guys didnt do it first. Naraku cant zap me, cause like I said, you guys figured it out.


Kagome stared at him. We did?


Yeah, you did. Inu Yasha answered her. So without staying to tell them when or how theyd come across the answer, he showed them how to cross.


By walking across.


Oh come on! Kagome shouted when he was halfway across the obviously liquid water, it was lapping against the walls for stars sake! We cant do that! You probably have some power or something by being the guide thing!


Inu Yasha turned back at them, standing on the water. You can do it too, bitch.


Its water! And you said that if we touch it, we drown! Sango joined in the yelling.


Inu Yasha opened his mouth to retort, but Miroku beat him to it. Hes right.


What? Kagome and Sango turned on the monk, glaring at him.


Miroku didnt look back at them, but was staring at the water. I get it. I get how hes walking across water. You were right Kagome, the answer was right in front of our noses. Its a lot easier than it looks.


Then enlighten us, Sango looked ready to kill. Did all the men go insane? Or was she insane and making up the vision of Inu Yasha walking across water?


Miroku suddenly grinned. We can justwalk across. He picked up Kirara and Shippou, cradled them protectively, and stepped out after the half demon. Kagome and Sango simultaneously lunged after him, to pull him back in before he drowned himself and the little ones, but the monk was already too far away.


And he didnt walk across. He danced. Laughing, he fox trotted over the dangerous waters, soon to meet the dog demon half way out into the challenge. The girls gaped after the two. What was going on?


Inu Yasha sighed irritably, and stuffed his hands up his sleeves, but a smirk was still glued on his face. Come on, dont want to be left behind, do you?


Sango glared untrustingly. First I want it explained why were able to cross. Im not trying it until I get told reasonably why I wont drown.


Inu Yasha here said that wed drown if we got wet with the water in here, not if we merely touched the water, Miroku started. It still sounded cryptic.


But how can you not get wet when you touch the water? Kagome asked, staring at them like theyd gone mad.


Mirokus grin, if possible, grew even wider. You just have to believe that you wont get wet.


What the? Kagome made a face. You guys are insane!


Miroku sighed, sifting the fox cub and the cat in his arms. Fine, let me try to explain it better. If you dont think youll get wet and drown, then you can walk across the water unharmed. Get it?


No, Sango and Kagome chorused together.


Inu Yasha rolled his eyes, taking over. In other words, you only die if you think youre gonna die.





Kagome silently walked over to the stone wall of the tunnel and hit her head into it. This was so weird! First the damn door where all you had to do was open them both to see which one to go through, and now this damn lake!


But Sango was catching on quicker, thankfully. So its the fear that makes this challenge so dangerous? If you know that you wont die if you walk across knowing youll be fine, you can walk over the water without getting wet. If you dont get wet, then the spell doesnt get activated, and you dont die.


Right! Miroku beamed in pride that his Sango got it. All you have to do is believe you arent going to die, and you can walk across. But if youre afraid at all of drowning, then youll drown.


This is stupid, Sango muttered. But she cleared her mind, shrugged and started out over the water, without falling in. Within a few seconds, she made it to the others. Kagome stood gaping after them. She understood, of course, but how was she supposed to do it?


Oh come off it! She howled, Im not going over that water. What if Im really scared and I drown?!


Then dont be frightened, banish the fear, Miroku told her rationally.


Kagome glared.


Of course, then Inu Yasha saved the day.


Come on, bitch. Try it anyway. If you die, youll just end up saving us all the trouble! Face it, the worlds better off without your ugly face, he told her.


In the end, Kagome stalked across the water just to smack the half demon.


-


-


-


A/N: The idea of the trap being a lake where you could only cross if you werent afraid wasnt mine. Evy suggested it and I fell in love with it. Sorry for the long delay, the next update wont take this long.


Ja ne!