InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ From the Words of a Broken Heart ❯ So Close ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

From the Words of a Broken Heart
Characters © Rumiko Takashi
Chapter One - So Close
 
I was so close. A few more seconds and Naraku would be dead, dead in my own hands. My glowing bow and arrow was pointed directly at his scrawny throat. At his throat. I will forever savour the pathetic pleading look in his dark violet eyes while he was on the brink of death. For once in a long time, I was actually content. I was actually happy to be alive. After this, I could finally go back to my own home. No more Kikyo, no more Inu Yasha, and most of all, no more heart breaking.
I hoped this would be how it ended… the courageous heroine would ride off into the sunset with her prince charming, and they would live happily ever after. Unfortunately, unlike in fairy tales, reality doesn't work that way.
In the midst of my happy daze, I hardly noticed the glowing, magenta warmth of our fully collected shikon jewel fading away. After what felt like an eternity, the jewel's warmth was replaced with the fowl stench of Naraku. After that, all I could remember was seeing him flash us a craze smile and then disappear. I was so shocked. Was that how it ended? Would I be forever left searching for that slippery villain? Luckily for me, it didn't quite end that way…
That's when it happened.
As soon as Naraku left, we all seemed to fade away… I started screaming, but I suspected it was more of joy that fear. Inu Yasha yelled out a brief, “Kagome!” And headed towards me.
You could almost see the jealousy in Kikyo's eyes.
“Inu Yasha! Help me! I fear I will die!” Kikyo said, her voice layered with such sweetness, that it was hard to believe that anyone would have believed her.
Inu Yasha shot me a sympathetic look and than lunged towards Kikyo.
So I was left there stunned with a broken heart. What could be worse? I'll tell you what can be worse…
 
*
 
That was it, the last thing I saw before we were fully faded away was the grotesque site of Kikyo planting a kiss on Inu Yasha's cheek. While she was doing it, she gave me a loathing glare and then pushed away.
Now tears were coming down. Luckily for me, I don't think anyone noticed.
So with my heart being trampled over and over again, I was knocked out cold and ended up waking up in fluffy lavender mist… a cloud?
Now I was confused, What had happened? Is this a dream?
A sudden voice answered my question.
I look towards my desk, where the voice had come from. There I saw the most beautiful female kitsune I had ever seen… her platinum hair was in long silver locks, her almost transparent blue eyes were staring back at me with laughter, and her fluffy white ears were twitching playfully. She reminded me of him… him.
“Kagome,” she called in a singsong voice, “you finally came… I was waiting, sweet. Apparently you were due to die in a time that was not yours… we can't have that… can we love?”
“Who… are you,” I managed to stutter out. I was dead?
“Sshh…” She put a finger on my lips, “you'll find out soon sweet… I will visit. But now I have to make you go back to your time love… I cant let you die here.”
“Wait! Wait! What's happening? WAIT!” Too late.
“Sorry… bye love…”
And with that she vanished, as mysteriously as she had come.
Awoke with a sickening feeling in my stomach. I was in my own era, in my own bedroom, and in my own life. My emotions were all mixed… I was relieved but sadder.
“Kagome! Wake up! You don't want to be late for your new school…” My mom called out from outside of my door.
What? She expected me to go to school after a fight like that?
“Mom! I want to go back to the feudal era today!”
“What?” My mom opened the door with a puzzled look, “I told you to stop playing those dumb video games… look what they're doing to you…”
“But I need to see Inu Yasha!”
My mother's face was blank.
“You really need to stop playing those games…” she mumbled as she walked out of my room.
I was so confused. What? I looked in my closet, trying to find my usual plain white and green uniform. Instead I found a gorgeous tan coloured uniform. Oh yeah, my mom mentioned something about a new school… I put it on and squealed with delight as it actually showed off my “curves”! But I was just getting my mind off of what happened…
After finding out the name of my new school I was out of there, going back to the old room where the well had been.
To my surprise, it was no longer there; instead there lied a huge table.
I ran… as fast as I could. I could not take reality. Why? WHY? Why were these things always happening to me? Why Kikyo? Why Inu Yasha?
I ran and ran until I was within a block from the school. I lost my balance and tripped. Oww…
A pale hand reached out to me. I look up and saw a stunningly handsome face… his silver hair shone in the gleaming face. Wait… silvers hair… kitsune? Wait… I recognized him! It was Sesshomaru?