InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Gathering the Pieces ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Sesshoumaru felt the grip Miroku had on him tighten slightly as Sasame referred to him as filth.

The taiyoukai pushed away from Miroku, forcing himself to stand on his own. "I do not need the assistance of a human to fight the like of you. Attack me if you wish."

A sadistic twinkle glistened in Sasame’s piercing eyes as he mulled over the option. He flipped one of the blades in his hand absentmindedly, sizing up Sesshoumaru. “Ah, I see. You do not human assistance to fight, but you need them to heal you. Very strange. Clearly, you are wounded and your uppity attitude pisses me off,” the kitsune said bluntly, leaping gracefully from the roof, his armor clanking as he landed.

Approaching the fellow warlord, Sasame cocked one of the short daggers beneath Sesshoumaru’s chin when he came to a stop, inches away. He clucked his tongue in obvious disapproval. “I must admit this an awful shock. I was hoping to have a bit of a challenge. But here I am, greeted with a weakling who is seeking help from lowly humans that are lower than dirt. Humans and their overwhelming emotions...most irksome.”

Sesshoumaru stared down coldly at Sasame, unflinching as the point of the blade drew a drop of blood. He was already starting to feel a bit fatigued, but his pride was allowing him to remain standing. He said nothing in retort to Sasame's comment, waiting for the fox to take action so he could knock him through a nearby wall.

He removed the blade with sharp reflexes, though he still held it firmly in his hand. “You see, I do indeed love slaughtering humans. It’s quite relaxing. Feeling their warm blood leak from wounds you’ve caused. It does boost a demon’s self-esteem. Yet I’m not here to specifically murder humans. I was hoping to have a decent fight with you, take over your territories, and pillage your castle, Sesshoumaru. Although, you’re already badly wounded and fighting with a hurt pup just loses its amusement factor. You couldn’t kill me if I had one arm cut off...”

Miroku's eyes narrowed at this; he hadn't missed the message beneath the remark. He found him growing more and more uneasy about this fight as the seconds passed. Sesshomaru was a strong demon, yes. Probably one of the strongest he'd seen in a long time. However, in his current state, against the Northern Lord, the Western taiyoukai wouldn't last long at all. His glare never flickered from the fox. He would not stand idly by and watch Sesshoumaru be slaughtered, whatever the reprucussions may be.

Sasame grinned a smirk of a crazed person; living for an overextended period of time did that to a demon. “So I just want you to know that I am deeply disappointed in you. I was hoping to have some fun. Now it seems that your death will be more businesslike. I really thought that Inutaishou trained you better than this. One would think all those beatings he dished out on you would have taught you better. But perhaps the thrashing I shall give you will compensate.”

Sesshoumaru tensed his body, preparing for a fight his body was begging him not to go through with. However, his warrior (and male) pride refused to allow him to be helplessly killed. Even if he didn't survive this fight, he would not be defeated without a struggle.

The kitsune was about to drive a blade into Sesshoumaru’s throat when suddenly the kitsune’s eyes drifting to Miroku. From what the lord could gather, it seemed the monk had been caring for Sesshoumaru as Miroku stayed close. Too close. Something fishy was going on, something Sasame couldn’t quite pinpoint.

The monk tensed as the second warlord prepared to attack, and moved forward with the intention of stopping him, but stopped up short when the kitsune glanced his way. He managed to keep his glare in place, even while the obviously powerful warlord studied him carefully. He could tell the Northern Lord was working something out in his mind. Getting edgy, he smoothed the glare out into a calm stare.

"Tell me, Northern Lord, is it truly going to be satisfying, killing Sesshoumaru when he's in this state? Would you not prefer to have a proper battle, when he's fully healed?" He demanded quietly, his staff held firmly in his hand, knowing he was taking a chance with this.

Sesshoumaru turned his apathetic gaze to the monk, a miniscule frown showing. The monk was once again defending him...

"Honor isn't my desire here, monk. Yes, I'd like a good battle. But it's nice to have the victim already suffering. I like to hear the screams," he smirked, eyes flickering. "So, let's find out how high your voice can go, Sesshoumaru. Or are you going to let the pitiful human protect you? It's incredibily sad. That human child you used to have must have melted you. Whatever happened to her, hm? You lose interest in her? Tsk, tsk. You know you should wait until they grow up..." He raised a suggestive brow, hinting at filthy ideas.

Raw, seething hatred took hold of Sesshoumaru as Sasame dared not only to drag Rin into this, but to utter such disgusting propositions, and he all but lunged at the Northern Lord, intent on clawing that smug smirk from his face. Pain burst from his chest at the action, but he ignored it. The subject of Rin was still a raw wound for the taiyoukai, and Sasame had pretty much dug his claws into it. However, he wasn't able to ignore the body thrown in his way, as the human stepped in front of him, easily holding him back, proving his weakness; already, Sesshoumaru was faltering because of wounds.

The monk turned an infuriated glare to Sasame, though he said nothing to him. His expression said enough for him, though: Low lifed bastard....

Sasame rubbed his chin in thought, looking at Miroku. Damn, this human was persistant in defending Sesshoumaru. And it seemed to be exceeding the limit of a friendly bond. The monk was putting himself in front of a taiyoukai... one had to be either extremely stupid to do this or have a wonderfully good reason to... Which would be?

No matter how the kitsune thought about it, it kept boiling down to this odd relationship the two had. And somewhere, deep down in the warlord's perverse thoughts, something clicked. "Dear gods... I know why you ridded yourself of the child... it's because... because you have an interest in..." Sasame couldn't even bring himself to say it. He felt this cold sweat cover his body and his hands start to shake in fear. No, surely not, he thought.

Sesshoumaru fisted his hands, barely restraining his temper, all the centuries of training to keep himself placid going down the drain with these simple words. "I would NEVER 'rid myself' of my own daughter." He corrected in a quiet, dark tone, doing his best to appear menacing, when in reality, he was close to dropping from the exhaustion brought on by his bout of anger. "And you have NO right to talk of her. Monk, get OUT of my way." He snarled.

Miroku turned a stern glare to the taiyoukai behind him. "You are in no shape to be barreling into a fight." He scolded, pushing the demon back farther.

Being forbidden from defending his daughter's memory all but snapped Sesshoumaru's resolve. Letting out a snarl, his claws sunk a good few inches into the human's shoulders. "You, human, need to step DOWN." Miroku clenched his teeth, but didn't move away, turning to return his glare to Sasame, his shoulder throbbing, but not badly, Sesshoumaru's attack just barely tolerable.

"Come back later, Sasame." The monk hissed out thorugh clenched teeth.

"Yes, I suppose I shall. You two just have your lovers' spat and Sesshoumaru," His eyes drifted back to the warlord, "when you're ready to fight like a true taiyoukai, you let me know. I'd thought it would be fun to mess with someone who was already wounded...but you have shown me otherwise. It's disgusting to battle with someone who has feelings for humans, much less one who has a obvious relationship with one." He waved, and then turned around, walking at a brisk pace, deciding to make his exit less exciting than his entrance.

Miroku blinked once or twice at his closing comment, and was unable to quell a slight blush at the thought. It was easily banished, however, when the claws were torn free of his shoulder, and Sesshoumaru started after Sasame. Before the inu demon could even utter a word for the fox to come back and finish what had been started, Miroku had himself in front of the Western Lord, facing him this time, keeping him back once more.

"Sesshoumaru, stop this. You need your rest." he persisted. "You can tear Sasame into pieces the size of sand once you're healed. Going after him right now is suicide." Sesshoumaru's golden eyes turned to look at the monk, and Miroku lost all ability to breathe at the expression.

Pure hatred was on the taiyoukai's face. It was a big enough shock seeing any emotion on the demon's face, but to see it so pure had the monk faltering. He had really pushed it this time.....

Sesshoumaru had lost his chance to avenge his daughter, the urge to rip into someone was still boiling inside him, and the monk was the only other living thing in sight. It would only take one attack. One swift swipe across the throat, and he would be rid of this human, and able to extract his revenge if he wanted. So what if it was suicide going after Sasame? He no longer cared.

His eyes then landed on the blood that was still running from Miroku's shoulder. The anger and hatred started to lessen inside him, as he settled once more into his stoic state, though underlyings of anger still rose to the surface now and then.

Miroku was relieved when he saw the intense eyes locking him in place shift back to their usual apathetic stare. The next moment, he dove forward to steady the demon as he swayed for a moment, the exhaustion setting in again. Sesshoumaru only allowed it for a moment, before sitting up on his own again, though his one arm was still held by the monk, whether to steady him, or keep him from following the fox, he didn't know.

"I guess we'll be spending the next while camping out...." The human said after a moment, looking around the now trashed village, then up at the demon. "Are you alright with that?" He didn't get a reply however; the silver demon wasn't even looking at him. His apathetic stare had shifted to something off in the distance over some hills.

Letting out a sigh, Miroku knelt to gather the bundle of their supplies he'd dropped at Sasame's arrival, heading into the woods once he'd straightened. Sesshoumaru lingered in the village, debating if he should even bother following. What was the point? However, when his body seemed to crumble with even one footstep, he knew he would need help healing from these wounds, and grudgingly followed the monk into the woods. *Obeying a human.... no better than my brother...* were his thoughts as he entered the trees.

~~~~~~

Miroku built the fire as quietly as he could, adding wood gently onto the softly crackling flames. He did his best to make as little noise possible, not wanting to wake Sesshoumaru from the light sleep he'd finally entered. The taiyoukai had been on edge about something ever since they'd gotten here, and he'd refused to relax in the slightest, even when Miroku had threatened to rub in herb that stung worse then most insect attacks.

The taiyoukai had merely cast him a baleful stare, which proved to the monk that threatening pain would get him no where. He'd decided to leave the demon alone, and after around half an hour, the slver dog had been unable to fight off the drowsiness he'd brought onto himself with the earlier outburst.

Once he was asleep, and the fire was well made, Miroku folded his arms, staring into the fire as he thought. Travelling with InuYasha and company had really changed him; before, he'd been perfectly fine with travelling on his own and looking out for himself. Every since, however, he'd balked at the thought of being alone, and found he enjoyed caring for others (though the joy was doubled if it benifited him at the same time) Miroku craved company so badly now, that he'd settled quite comfortabley into the routine of caring for the taiyoukai asleep a few feet away from him.

And then a depressing thought hit him; what was he to do once the taiyoukai was healed? He would be heading off on his own again, for there was no chance in existance that Sesshoumaru would allow him to travel at his side as Rin had done. A wry smile crossed his face; though he didn't have to worry about thatif Sesshoumaru chose to kill him once healed enough.

The thought of spending the rest of his life at the side of the demon provoked some daydreaming of what that might entail, and he found himself smiling rather lewdly after a moment. Who cold honestly blame him? Even InuYasha had grudgingly admitted one day that Sesshoumaru was indeed a handsome demon. Of course, he'd meant that in a different context, seeing as how InuYasha's point was that those looks were wasted on someone who had as much personality as dirt, and how he himself deserved them more, not his brother.

When his comrades came to mind, he was brought back to the fight he and InuYasha had exchanged. A quiet sigh left him; he hadn't been expecting any less than that. InuYasha had been right to be upset. He had claimed to be InuYasha's friend, which he was, he still felt, and he'd found him treating one of his largest rivals. Still..... *Does InuYasha really intend to wipe me clean from his memory? Has any chance of friendship really been ruined?*

After a while, his thoughts took him to the comment Sasame had made. The blush returned, and he glanced to the taiyoukai. Miroku prayed to the gods that Sesshoumaru either didn't hear that part, or his anger caused him to forget it. It wold make things far too tense between them, and the demon needed as little stress as possible. Not to mention, if he caught the signs the Northern Lord had obviously picked up on from the monk, there was always the chance his head would be removed from his shoulders.

Sesshoumaru had heard what Sasame had said, however, and he wasn't about to forget it. The entire time since they had left the village, his thoughts had been spinning around that statement. He'd been going over the past days events, attempting to see if Sasame had either been intelligent for once in his life, or had just been blowing hot air as usual.

It was true, the monk was going out of his way to help the demon, but wasn't that the job of a monk? To help those in need? Of course, mind you, the one this monk was helping was one of his most powerful enemies. One had to be VERY dedicated to their job to pull that off. Or Sasame's suspicions could be right...

Even if Sasame had pulled a miracle and been correct, Sesshoumaru was not going to allow anything to happen. He was going to allow the monk to treat him, might let him live, since he despised oweing people, then leave and forget about the monk entirely, unless he ran into him again when fighting his brother, in which case, he'd kill the monk where he stood. He refused to get caught up in any type of emotion directed towards anyone, especially a human. They died too quickly and too easily. His heart had been torn out when he'd lost Rin; never again would he allow himself to become so vulnerable to anything.

The cold look left his face after a while as he settled into a light sleep, his arm resting in his lap. The more rest he got, the faster he'd heal. He needed to leave soon. He'd originally planned to drop all titles, and fall into seclusion until he died. After learning that Sasame was still after his land, however, he'd decided he wouldn't roll over and die, and let the fox win so easily. Broken or not, Sesshoumaru still had warlord instincts, and they were starting to kick in once more.