InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Gathering the Pieces ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: *blinks rapidly, staring at her wrist* Oh.... Oh my gods!! I'm ALIVE!!!! LOL Gomen na sai, but writer's block has plagued me on ALL my stories, and it took forEVER to pry this one outta me!! *grins* I'd like to thank and dedicate this chap to Forsaken Wanderer, aka, Zim, for giving me the idea to introduce a certain character who appears at the end of theis chapter, with her fantastic rping!

 

~~~~~~~~

 

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!" The loud yell rang across a small village in the middle of nowhere, causing the inhabitants of the town to glance in the direction of the shout. Nearby villagers would have seen what appeared to be an inu hanyou with rabies, who was giving a rather tense looking monk with a bloody lip a hard time.

 

"Inu Yasha, be quiet. Sesshoumaru just fell asleep." Miroku scolded, wiping blood from where Inu Yasha had punched him. One had to give him points for either bravery, or stupidity, for saying this, since it sent the younger Inu brother into a larger rage.

 

"B-! QU-! YOU-! YOU EXPECT ME TO BE CONSIDERATE FOR HIM?!? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!" At this time, the rest of the group was covering their ears, and the villagers were watching from a farther distance. Miroku frowned.

 

"Because I have been working for four days to get him this far. Waking him now could ruin all that I've done." Inu Yasha wasn't even able to form a single word at this point, his anger was so powerful. Instead, his teeth and fists clenched, glaring death at the monk.

 

Seeing Inu Yasha was getting no where, Sango stepped forward. "Why have you taken Sesshoumaru into your care, Miroku? Are you forgetting everything he's done to us?" Miroku shook his head at this.

 

"No, but if you could only know how truely saddening the state Sesshoumaru was in, you'd understand." Inu Yasha let out a growl.

 

"That's not going to be half as sad as the state YOU'LL be in when I'm done, Miroku!!" Inu Yasha snapped, hauling back a fist.

 

"SIT!!" Needless to say, the hanyou's attack was halted. Kagome frowned.

 

"Shame on you, Inu Yasha, for attacking a friend!"

 

"What kind of a friend nurses an ENEMY back to health?!" He demanded from where he lay, still pressed into the dirt, so it was rather hard to understand him for a moment.

 

"A COMPASSIONATE friend!"

 

"ComPASSIONate?! You mean STUPID! Or TRAITOROUS!" Miroku flinched at this, but said nothing, knowing full well he'd brought all this onto himself. Yet, he refused to back down to InuYasha.

 

"I'm fully aware that what I'm doing seems insane," The monk said after a moment of them looking at him. "But I make it a point to finish what I start."

 

"And what are you going to do after he's healed?" The muffled response came from the ground. "You know? When he KILLS you?"

 

"Then I'll die. At least my conscience will be cleared." The houshi responded. Huffing, Inu Yasha hauled himself up out of the dirt.

 

"You must have hit your head REALLY hard, Miroku." He muttered, dusting off his hakama and glaring at the monk, then pointing a clawed finger in his face. "If you want to play nurse to that bastard, then so be it. But I refuse to have anything to do with this." His piece said, Inu Yasha stormed off, ears plastered flat against his hair, grumbling.

 

Kagome looked to Miroku, a worried look on her face, chewing nervously on her lower lip. "But... Miroku, what if he does attack you? I mean, this is Sesshoumaru we're talking about." She defended. Miroku nodded.

 

"The same taiyoukai who let himself get in such a state that he was at Death's door, and all because of the grief he felt for a young girl. If he can feel grief that strongly, then I'm willing to risk my life to help him." Kagome sighed, smiling weakly and hugging the monk.

 

"Alright, but if you need any help, come and get us, okay? I don't care WHAT Inu Yasha said." After he promised he would, the miko ran after Inu Yasha, hoping to sooth his ruffled feathers. Miroku then turned to Sango, who still looked worried. He cracked a wry smile to try and lighten the mood.

 

"Now don't tell me TaijiYa Sango is worried about me." Laying a hand on her cheek, he shook his head. "Sango, I'll be fine. He's in no condition to harm me, and won't be for a while." Sango nodded, hugging him tightly.

 

"Don't get yourself killed, idiot monk." She scolded. He smiled.

 

"Aw, ruin all my fun."

 

~~~~~~~~

 

After Sango had followed her friends, Shippou waving to him from where he sat on her shoulder, Miroku stepped back inside the hut, looking to Sesshoumaru, who, not to his slight surprise, was awake.

 

"Inu Yasha does not seem impressed with you." Was the cold greeting he got. Miroku sighed as he sat behind the taiyoukai.

 

"I actually expected it to go worse then that." He replied as he began to change the bandages for the 300th time, it felt. Sesshoumaru remained silent for a while before speaking again.

 

"Why did you defend me from them?" He asked quietly, though no emotion slipped from his voice. Miroku blinked a few times as he began cleaning the wounds.

 

"I imagine if you heard them asking, then you heard my answer, didn't you?" The taiyoukai still didn't move.

 

"So you're doing this to keep yourself from feeling guilty." It was more of a statement then a question. "I don't need your pity, or your charity." He suddenly snapped, his back going stiff. Miroku frowned.

 

"I'm not doing this as charity. I'm doing this because of the devotion you showed to that child. As a monk, it is my place to help people. Now either calm down, or stop talking. Your wounds are reopening." He scolded, frowning as he picked up a cloth, wiping blood from Sesshoumaru's back.

 

Narrowing his eyes, Sesshoumaru fisted his hand but forced himself to stay silent. He wanted himself healed as soon as possible, so he could get out of here. Besides his brother, he hated nothing more then being weak and depending on someone else. Feeling a harsh sting, he grit his teeth, blowing out a long breath to keep calm. Yet, his irritation never died down. In fact, with every passing moment, he became more and more agitated over the fact that he was helpless.

 

His father's voice ran through his head, causing his back to tense once more as the deep voice repeatedly scolded him. You expect yourself to become Lord of the Western Lands when you can't even beat a youkai that weak? His eyes closed as an old memory of when he first failed the chance to claim the right to be his father's heir rose up in his mind.

 

His father, Inutaishou-sama, had stood over a 13 year old Sesshoumaru, who sat on the ground sniffing, cradling a bleeding arm. A proper Lord does not show such weakness, Sesshoumaru. If you wish to inherit these lands, I never want to see you cry again. You should be ashamed for losing what should have been an easy battle. I thought you were stronger then that. You disappoint me. I'm willing to assume you won't even be able to heal that wound on your own, will you? He hadn't. He'd gone to his mother, and she'd healed it for him, while holding him and whispering reassuring words to him.

 

You won't even be able to heal that wound on your own will you?

 

You should be ashamed for losing what should have been an easy battle.

 

I never want to see you cry again.

 

I thought you were stronger then that.

 

You disappoint me.

 

Miroku had felt the broad shoulders of the former Lord shaking for the past few minutes, and was growing more concerned. "Sesshoumaru?" He asked softly, laying a hand on his arm.

 

At the touch, Sesshoumaru whipped around surprisingly fast considering his wounds. His old strength returning once more, he'd pushed the monk to the floor, his hand closing around his throat, angry gold inches from shocked azure.

 

"I can heal this wound on my OWN!!!" He hissed, his eyes shaking slightly. Miroku struggled to breathe through the iron grip on his throat, his own hands circling the trembling wrist, wincing slightly. "I am not weak!! I can heal my own wounds! I will never show such weakness again. I will never cry again..."

 

Every exclaimation of defiance grew quieter and quieter, and his grip on the human's throat grew weaker and weaker, until he had whispered the last line, his now shaking hand barely hovering over the pounding pulse.

 

After a moment, Sesshoumaru reeled back away from Miroku, falling back into a slouched sitting position, his head hung as he slowly managed to calm his racing heart, his bangs hiding his eyes. He was angry, angry at the monk for proving the taiyoukai was weak, angry at his father for pushing him so hard all his life, and angry at himself for losing his temper like that.

 

Trembling as badly as the demon in front of him, Miroku lifted himself until he supported his weight on his elbows, watching Sesshoumaru carefully.

 

"Well... I see you're getting your strength back..." He attempted to lighten the mood, to no avail. Righting himself once more, he moved closer to the inu brother, though he kept his distance. "Wh... what was that all about?" Getting silence for an answer, he knew Sesshoumaru wouldn't tell him anything. Knowing better then to push, Miroku stood, walking out of the hut, questing after some food.

 

When he was left alone, Sesshoumaru opened his eyes, looking down at his hand. His claws were tipped in blood, showing he'd pierced the monk's flesh. Fisting his hand, he lifted his head, staring out the window and watching as a sakura blossom floated in on the breeze. Remembering that Rin's favorite flowers had been sakura, his gold eyes tracked the flower's movement.

 

The blossom made it's way through the room, before eventually inching towards the fire pit in the middle of the building. Feeling a strange panic rise up at the thought of the flower burning, he reached out, catching hold of it and pulling it away from the searing heat of the fire before any damage could be done to it. Opening his hand, Sesshoumaru regarded the blossom silently, his thumb claw tracing over the petals.

 

An odd feeling came into him at that moment, an urge to keep the flower, and prevent any damage from happening to it, as if, in some small way, it make up for his failure to protect Rin.

 

 

When Miroku reentered the hut, carrying two trays of food, he saw the demon staring down at a sakura flower, but said nothing, setting his food down in front of him and sitting down as well, beginning to eat his own meal. Hearing him shift, he noted that Sesshoumaru had set the flower aside, next to the futon he'd been sleeping on, and had begun to eat as well.

 

"How's your throat?" The question was so quiet, and so unexpected that Miroku almost didn't pick up on it. Looking to the demon, (who kept his gaze on his food), he touched his throat, blinking as he felt a few pinprick holes letting drops of blood out, which smeared at his touch.

 

"It's fine. Nothing that won't heal in a short while." He assured, looking back to the food in front of him.

 

"Some poison may have gotten into it. You should have it looked at." Normally, one would imagine that the person saying such things would be worried, but the tone Sesshoumaru had stated it in sounded as distant and uncaring as possible. Miroku nodded slightly, staying quiet as he continued his meal.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Later on, after the sun had set, Sesshoumaru lay on his stomach, back bandaged and blanket over his waist, his chin resting on his arm that was folded in front of him, staring at the sakura blossom that lay in front of him. Pale moonlight was filtering though the window, landing on the flower, brightening the pink of the petals. Everything else around the taiyoukai lay in darkness. His gold eyes remained trained on the flower, ignoring everything else as his thoughts took him out of the hut, and back to how his life was before Rin had left him.

 

He'd taken having her around for granted, he knew that now. All those times he'd watched her pick flowers, or chase a few butterflies, or even when she teased Jaken, he'd never get to witness again. He was willing to give up eveything he owned, his title, his lands, even his very name, and become nothing but a lesser demon, as long as he got Rin back in return.

 

However, he knew that wasn't going to happen. The flower that lay in front of him was the closest thing he had to his daughter now...

 

Hearing quiet breathing at his side, his eyes slid to the left, seeing Miroku had fallen asleep leaning against the wall, his staff in his arms. Sesshoumaru watched him for a moment, a slight frown barely noticeable on his face. This human confused him. He'd already attacked him and his friends countless times, trying his damnedest to kill his brother and the rest of him. Sesshoumaru had even been attacking him while the monk tried to help him; The proof was on the houshi's throat. So why did he remain?

 

Looking back to the flower, he moved his hand slightly, tracing the petals gently. Maybe.... maybe humans weren't so stupid after all.... maybe there was a little more to them then he originally thought.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Feeling warmth strike his face, Miroku frowned softly, then yawned, rubbing his eyes for a moment, cracking one open to look around. His gaze came to a stop on the taiyoukai, and he found himself blinking a few times.

 

Sesshoumaru had fallen asleep with his hand curved protectively around the flower he'd seen him looking at earlier. For the first time since he'd been brought here, Sesshoumaru was sleeping peacefully. His face was relaxed, and for once, lacking the harsh cold expression that seemed permanantly in place. Now that it was gone, Miroku found the demon actually looked... well, slightly kind... True, his mouth was open just slightly, allowing him to see a glimpse of razor fangs, and the pointed ears were a permanant reminder that this was indeed a youkai, yet... Now that he'd let his icy mask slip, Miroku recieved a glimpse of the kind of person Sesshoumaru could have been, if he hadn't shut himself up inside.

 

A slight smile on his face, Miroku shook his head. InuYasha was mad enough at him for healing his brother; he couldn't, and didn't, want to imagine how enraged he'd be if the hanyou found out the slowly developing feelings the monk was experiencing for the taiyoukai.

 

Letting out a soft sigh, he grinned again, then grasped his staff, using it to help himself to his feet, pulling the blanket up over Sesshoumaru's shoulder, and left for some breakfast for the two.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Amber eyes flickered open for a moment, then closed again, a soft sigh drifting from his throat as Sesshoumaru sat up slightly, stopping when his back flared to life with pain. He laid back down again; he should probably stop attacking the monk. It was doing quite a number on his back.

 

The eyes flashed open quite quickly, though, as he caught the scent of approaching youkai. Grasping the flower and placing it inside his kimono, he sat up again, managing to rise to his knees. His task was cut short, however, as Miroku came into the room then, looking rather distressed.

 

"We're leaving." Was all he said before helping Sesshoumaru to his feet and leading the still half asleep demon outside, where he was able to pick up the stronger scent of the youkai, narrowing his eyes as he caught sight of them coming. It was a group of mixed youkai, a few kitsunes, some inu, and others that he didn't have time to recognize, and they were ransacking the village, killing and stealing anything and everything.

 

A slight frown crossed his face. "Don't tell me Houshi Miroku is running from a pitiful group of youkai like that." He snapped, turning to look at the human. Miroku shook his head in response.

 

"No, I'm running from THAT." Was the reply, as he pointed into the sky at another demon.

 

".......oh..." Rather undignified for the former warlord, yes, but what else is one expected to say when they end up staring at the one demon who stood a chance of slaying his own father. Miroku looked up at him, and paused as he took note of the stunned look on Sesshoumaru's face as he stared at the demon that was staring back at him, smug grin in place.

 

"Sesshoumaru?" He looked up at the demon who was standing on the roof of the building Sesshoumaru had just been in. "Who is it?"

 

"The Northern Lord.... Sasame...[1]" Miroku looked back up at the Northern Lord, who was now sneering at the two of them.

 

"Sesshoumaru. Do you have any idea how disgraceful this is? Not only do you allow yourself to reach this state, but you let a human take care of you. Do you have no respect for your father? You've greatly dishonored his name with your actions." A smirk crawled over his face. "Though I'm sure you can attone yourself in a small battle with me for your lands." Sesshoumaru growled softly, though he made no approach towards the Northern Lord.

 

"My affairs are no concern of yours, Sasame. And I have no interest in fighting you." He said quite calmly for one who's back was beginning to bleed once more, and was staring into the face of his father's greatest rival.

 

Sasame chuckled, pulling out two short blades from his sleeves, looking over his reflection in one of them. "Well of course you have no interest. Only a fool enjoys a battle he's going to lose." A smirk on his face, he pointed the blades at the Western Lord. "Now remove yourself from that filth and fight me."

 

 

[1]Don't know if that's his real name, but it's what Zim and I called him in our rp, so I'm going with it

 

*smirks* yeah, what's an InuYasha fic without a little brawl between Lords? *blinks a few times* though this one kinda isnt fair, since Sesshoumaru's injured still *gets wide eyed* Sesshi....