InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Genuine Desires : Unity ❯ To Search for the Unknown ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

To Search for the Unknown

8:88:888:88:8

Totosai quivered with fear as his hands stilled. Originally sharpening the blade of a new sword he was paid handsomely to create---his sniffed and cringed again before the tai-youkai finally made his appearance in the small cave. He looked sad. .. Lost and totally vulnerable. Which is why Totosai's fear grew with each step he took. He placed the sword next to him and reached for his hammer, just in case. Sesshomaru held up his hands in a defensive manner and stopped walking towards Totosai.
 
Totosai raised his eyebrows in alarm, before looking over the youkai again. This was the young man he had known from a young age---the son of a very good friend. So why did he come here, if not to ask him to forge a weapon capable of destroying Tetsusaiga. "I thought you were finished quarreling with your half brother." He said with a snort.
 
Sesshomaru flared his nose but didn't say anything immediately. Instead he cracked his knuckles and took a step closer . . . looking over his shoulder before he stared the old man down. "I seek answers---old man."
 
Totosai scoffed and raised his hammer a little more---intending to threaten Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru merely looked at the weapon and cracked his knuckles again---baring his teeth slightly as irritation began to rise within him. "Why do you come to me?"
 
Sesshomaru shrugged and toyed with his mokomoko-sama. "You were an old friend of Father. Certainly you knew of my mother."
 
Totosai looked a little surprised---and stunned. He looked around quickly and placed down his hammer, crossing his legs and rubbing his bald head with a dingy piece of clothe. Sesshomaru felt nervous in this small cave. He never liked to be in small areas. "Why do you seek information about your mother?" Totosai asked barely above a whisper. "Do you seek her out?"
 
Sesshomaru eyes flashed and he snorted. Turning on his heel, he began to walk out of the cave, but looked over his shoulder once again when Totosai called his name out---and tossed something at him. A smooth rock in the shape of a half moon landed in his hand with an odd gem in the middle. Sesshomaru rolled it between his fingers---there was an odd youki emitting from this strange rock. It was soothing . . . yet unnerving at the same time. "What is this you have given me old man?"
 
Totosai picked up the sword he was forging and blew fire breathe on it for a couple of moments, completely ignoring Sesshomaru's presence. When Sesshomaru's anger spiked and he opened the mouth to holler at the man, Totosai held up his hand and shrugged. "Seek the aid of Bokuseno."
 
Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes---his gaze falling to the odd rock in his hand before he looked back up to the strange man. Anger was battling with confusion---which was warring with irritation as he tried to make sense of the old man. "Why do you give me an irrelevant rock, old geezer, and then tell me to seek the aid of another friend? Were you as close to my Father as you say you are?"
 
Totosai looked a little offended. But he didn't look up from his preoccupation. "Your Father and I were very good friends, indeed. But there were things that he did that I never understood---things I never took time to ask and things he never took time to explain to me. But the wise tree, Bokuseno will have the answers you seek."
 
Sesshomaru began to walk out of the cave. His last uttered words were faint---held a deal of hurt he didn't understand. "I . . . have failed you, Sesshomaru-sama."

8:88:888:88:8

Kagome yawned as she sat up, the sunlight drifting into the room like a silent waterfall. She stretched and stood up, looking over her shoulder and then around the room as the completely empty feeling settled over her spirit. She sighed---the aura taking residence in the room giving her an unnerving feeling. She grabbed her bows and arrows---stepping into the hallway and slamming the door behind her. 'This . . . is weird.'
 
Walking quickly down the long hallway was something she wasn't looking forward to, especially since she felt like she had gained two hundred pounds overnight. She grabbed onto the wall and slowly ambled down the hall towards the reassuring youki that seemed to jump from one place to the other---before Sango's cheerful smile clouded her vision. "Kagome? Are you alright?"
 
Instantly the weight was lifted---so quick that it was painful and she gasped before stumbling into Sango. Sango held her up and steadied her. Kagome wiped her forehead and sighed. "Hey---I'm still half-sleep, you know? I feel so . . . tired."
 
Sango frowned and helped her friend into the dining room. Sitting her in a chair and reaching over to feel her forehead---Sango drew back with a deep frown on her face. "You're developing a fever, Kagome. You should get back to bed."
 
Kagome started to feel light-headed as InuYasha entered the room. "Oi! Where's the lech?"
 
Sango looked over her shoulder and rolled her eyes. "He went out with Kirara---Kagome's ill, InuYasha."
 
Kagome heard his whine---her vision clouded over as she felt his hand on her head. He whined again---and she leaned forward in a drunken state as her breathing turned ragged. InuYasha caught her and flattened his ears, wondering how she got so sick overnight. He raised her head and noted her dull eyes as she sat back up---trying to regulate her breathing. "I'm fine." She said meekly.
 
InuYasha shook his head and tried to pick her up. She held out her arms and locked her legs around the chair. "Wench," He snarled as the Lord walked into the room. He was dressed in ordinary clothing---unlike what Kagome usually saw him in. His eyes darkened when his gaze fell on Kagome . . . which he quickly covered up when InuYasha took a protective stance in front of her. "Lady Kagome?"
 
Kagome stood up, only to be pushed back down softly by InuYasha. She rolled her eyes and peered around his waist. "Yes?"
 
The Lord shifted uncomfortable as Sango shuffled out of the room when Miroku began calling for her. He sat down and bowed in front of Kagome. "One of Kimiko's friends has been buried not far from the mansion, M'Lady. Would you like me to take you there?"
 
Kagome looked at InuYasha, who was staring daggers into the man. She poked him in his thigh, and he grunted and snorted. "Alright---but when you get tired we're coming straight back."
 
Kagome rolled her eyes as Lord Kuwabara stood and waited while InuYasha cradled Kagome close to his chest. Her face flushed when the Lord held a surprised look, but he didn't comment as he began marching out of the mansion. She cuddled closer---sighing when the heavy pressure began to form on her again. She whimpered but didn't say anything when InuYasha broke into a low rumbling, looking at her the whole way when his lips formed into a frown.
 
The Lord looked over his shoulder and stopped, giving Kagome an apologetic look when he shifted uncomfortably. "Should we---head back?"
 
InuYasha looked down at Kagome. She shook her head and he tightened his hold on her and scowled. "How far is it?"
 
The Lord looked over his shoulder and pointed straight in front of them. "Just past the trees and a little bit farther and we're there."
 
Kagome reached forward and grabbed InuYasha's ear, rubbing it affectionately. "I'm fine, I told you. Let's get going."
 
InuYasha snorted and began walking. When they finally got there---Kagome finally wiggled out of his arms and took a little while longer to get there. The heavy feeling drifted to her chest painfully---and she grabbed her chest and cringed as a wholly unnatural unsettling feeling came over her. The grave was a small cave in the back of the forest---something completely strange in itself. Around the cave was an aura so frightening---so angry that it made the hairs on the back of her neck stand. InuYasha unsheathed Tetsusaiga and stood in front of her. "Don't go any further."
 
Kagome peered over his shoulder and sighed, digging her nails into his haori. "I know---but there's no one there."
 
InuYasha scowled and his ears flattened when he broke into a low growl. The Lord took a step back---Kagome could feel his fear before they even left the house. She took a step forward---placing her finger on the invisible barrier that burnt her skin. She hissed and drew her hand back---hugging it to her chest and shaking her finger. InuYasha brought the finger to his face---and licked it. She screeched when he put it into his mouth and began suckling on the tip. She blushed when he blew on it---asking her if it still hurt before he faced the cave---Tetsusaiga drawn. "Wait!"
 
InuYasha stopped mid-swing when the Lord held out his hand, shooting him a dark look before stabbing Tetsusaiga into the ground and leaning on it with his elbow. "What is it now?"
 
"I just thought you should know---that Kimiko would never hurt anyone---and I can hardly believe she was the one that raised this barrier. She was a gentle soul ever since she was young."
 
Kagome smiled warmly at the man, waving her wrist to tell InuYasha to go ahead and break the barrier. With a snort he lifted Tetsusaiga, and with a scoff he waved it through the air. Ina flash of brilliant light---the barrier erupted into a million pieces and faded away before it hit the ground. I thought so . . . an invisible barrier? Even when you break through it? Did . . . did Kimiko train to become a priestess?'
 
InuYasha took a step inside---looking around cautiously as Kagome took baby steps behind him. In the middle of the cave---sitting on a crystal pedestal in the back of the cave. Kagome rushed around InuYasha as the sound of a heartbeat echoed throughout her head---and in the middle of the crystal pedestal was a flower that shone like the sun---giving the dark cave a mystical glow that made her skin crawl.
 
She reached out her hand over the flower---watched as it opened up and began to quiver in rhythm with the heartbeat that tortured her soul. A swirl began to erupt around the crystal pedestal---swirling around it.'S-Souls? Of . . . maidens?'
 
InuYasha pulled Kagome back as she grabbed her chest and crumbled to the floor. The flower quivered---and it seemed to be playing havoc with her sanity. He swept her up and in one mighty rush sprinted out of the cage---laying her on the ground softly and cradling her head in the crook of his arm. She coughed and blinked. "What happened?'
 
"You---you passed out." He said in a rush of breath---bringing her close to his chest and sighing.
 
'I . . . I don't want to go there ever again.'

8:88:888:88:8

Kimiko sighed as she sat on the top of the large boulder---overlooking the vast hills and the small village that seemed to shine beneath her. In a couple of months---she had become a new person---had become something completely unexpected as hurt overwhelmed the desire to live in her soul. She was a new person---something completely different. She was reborn---something she had always wanted. Her friend---Kohana had been brutally abused---and she later found out that there was a way to get her back. Her friend---and all of her other friends were being kept in captivity until she helped this foe with her ultimate purpose---and at the same time bringing forth Hawotonaeru Nyonin. . . The Reign of Women.
 
Just why did she have to have anything to do with it? She had no choice in the matter---her body was being controlled by another---the only thing she had complete control with was her mind---until her controller thought it was necessary to provoke her mind to become blank. She ran around not knowing who she was---what she was going to do . . . until she awoke the next morning and memories---horrible memories that threatened to consume her mind. She yearned to be free---wanted to be saved from this horrible destiny she had received. But it was far too late---she could only watch as her spirit killed so many innocent people . . .
 
Ayaka was her leader---was the source of her power, using her sorrow and mourning to her advantage---gripping her soul and making her do what she wanted. And Kimiko couldn't do anything about it . . . she was under Ayaka's control. In order to be free, she would lose her human soul in the process, and when that happened she had no idea of what she would do. To lose her human soul would mean she would fail to exist as she was now. 'Only to be reborn into something far more beautiful---a metamorphosis so wondrous that all living things will bow at our feet.' She was always told.
But was it worth it? Slaughtering and devouring the souls of maidens for powers---taking their sorrow and blending it with their own? How could she do such a thing---allowing her 'sister' to hunt down those she loved and cherished, leaving nothing but an empty, cold body filled with nothing but hatred. "They get in the way, dear sister," Ayaka had once said when she devoured one of the hearts she acquired---dumping the soul into the crystal flower for later. "In order for you to be strong, I need to break that ties that prevent you from being strong. You can't rule the world with doubts, my dear . . ."
 
Kimiko gripped her kimino. Nothing but endless emotions flowing through her, she had to act on the will of another being. How long did she have to be like this? Would she ever be forgiven?
 
'No,' she bit her lip and tilted her head back, letting the cool crisp air and cold tears sting her face. 'It's far too late for me now. One more life . . . and I cease to possess a human soul. I have to stop her . . . to help them. Kaname and Ryoko are the only ones left. I will save them.'
 
Her friends were slaughtered---yet they were under Ayaka's control just like her. Without human hearts, they relied on their soul, and without their soul they couldn't operate at all. So, they were filled with her blood and became her minions in a deep sleep in the bottom of a secret chamber until their rebirth was complete. They along with her and Ayaka were destined to bring forth the demise of men and women would reign forever. Ayaka appeared behind her and placed her hand on her shoulder.
 
"It will be all over soon. You are the one---you shall rule the new Kingdom. But you have to be reborn first . . . your transformation isn't fully completed yet, my dear."
 
Kimiko laid her face on Ayaka's thigh, grabbing on her dress. "My friends . . . will they live? Please . . . spare them."
 
Ayaka smiled sadly. She seemed right here . . . yet her presence so far away. "They must serve a purpose where there demise will be long before you acquire your power. Their fates have been decided---they must die."
 
Rage washed over her whole form as she pushed away from Ayaka and slammed her tiny fists into the ground. "I . . . Will I be the one to slaughter my only friends? To shed their blood? I . . . I won't do it. You can't make me do anything else."
 
Ayaka scowled and formed her hand in a circle, opening her palms and revealing a wilting flower. She ran her fingers along the petals, and held it out to Kimiko. "You see this? This is how I found you---a powerful spirit dying because of something a worthless man has done to you. True---it took the stealing of your soul to make you realize your true destiny---but you have murdered on your own. It was not my influence that caused you to shed human blood---but your own hatred and desire to rid men from the world. I have forced you to do nothing---"
 
"No!" Kimiko shouted, rising off of her feet and backing away. She held out her hands, forming a barrier around herself. "I'm not a murdered. All those young girls . . . I didn't . . ."
 
"I didn't make you do it . . . and if you want to get technical, you didn't do it yourself. But something inside you has a heart that's beating---and when you think about the rage you feel inside, it awakens and it hunts. It knows what it needs to be reborn---your metamorphosis into your true form. My purpose it to help you---the stealing of your human heart was necessary you foolish girl."
 
Kimiko looked like she had died. Her skin went a terrible pale color and she clutched her chest when her heart began beating painfully. "This terrible feeling . . . it's not mine? I . . . I'm not human?"
 
Ayaka brought the flower back, crushing it in her hands and sprinkling the ashes on the ground. Upon this sight Kimiko screamed and doubled over, digging her nails into the ground as she began crying tears of agony. "Make it stop . . . please, make it stop."
 
Ayaka smiled sadly. 'It is her destiny to hurt so . . .' "Pain is the source of your power---taking away your memories until you transform will be troublesome but necessary. It is my fate to kill you---and then to make you something new. Kimiko is now gone---replaced by the heart and soul of the legendary Princess of Darkness . . . Sachiko."
 
Placing her two fingers on Kimiko's forehead, she closed her eyes and ignored Kimiko's screams of agony . . .

8:88:888:88:8

Kagome cringed as she stretched and peered over the horizon. After wandering all the way back to the village to Kaede, they were confirmed with the fact that Kohana was a friend of Kimiko, but she was killed before she went on her savage manhunt. Kagome had a feeling they were missing something extremely disappointed. The Lord said Kimiko's presence looked dead . . . she just moped around. At first Kagome suspected that she had been killed, and then revived by the use of dark magic. But the Lord said she had been well . . .
 
Cringing again when an obscenely loud screeching noise was heard, she watched as Miroku hurried off to the nearby spring with Kirara and Sango brush her hair into a ponytail. Shippou laid curled into a ball nearby, snoring unusually loud and didn't seem to notice her foul mood. She shot InuYasha a dark look. "Do you have to do that now?"
 
InuYasha scowled. "Yes . . . I haven't done this in a while and you know it."
 
"But you always go somewhere else!"
 
"Yeah, well I have a feeling we're going to be fighting soon. Would you rather get protected by a blunt sword and die?"
 
Kagome didn't dare comment as Shippou stirred. Sango placed the brush back into her bag neatly and sighed. "We're about six miles from the large village where this friend of Kimiko resides. Apparently, this one is . . . very poor?" Sango said, tapping her chin as she ran over the information she was told just moments ago.
 
Kagome shrugged and cracked her knuckles, making InuYasha cringed, and then snort. She chuckled and repeated the action. He snarled. "Can you stop that?" He hollered.
Sango giggled and cuddled Shippou close to her chest, humming a soft moon as the sun warmed her skin. Kagome sighed and sprawled out on the blanket. InuYasha suggested they take a ten minute break since they had been running all day. Kagome knew he wouldn't admit it, but he was tired. She shot him a shy smile and rubbed Shippou's fur. "There's something strange about that little girl. I haven't heard anything about her for far to long, you know what I mean?"
 
Sango simply shrugged, idly toying with the necklace around her neck. Kagome frowned and stood up, grabbing her bows and announcing she was going to go to the pond. Taking a right turn after she left their site, she walked to a large tree, falling in the middle of the roots and clutching the bows and arrows to her chest.
 
'Please . . . I'm missing something important . . . I know I am! The great mikos . . . Midoriko, Kikyou . . . Please help me! I don't know what to do to save this young girl . . . can you convert a soul full of hatred?'
 
"There is no soul to be converted. The girl you seek to save has been forever bound in the captivity of darkness. Destroying this new foe is impossible---"
 
'Kik-Kikyou?'
 
"It will be impossible . . . but you can find a way to bind her away forever. The key lies within you, InuYasha, and his older brother. Find the ancient youkai seer---seek her aid and you shall obtain the power to bind away the great evil that has overcome."
 
'But how do I know where to look? I just don't have the strength . . . I'm not even strong enough to see Kimiko when she comes to the mansion. How could I ever defeat her new form?'
 
"Believe in yourself . . . and seek the ancient seer Cassandra. You must join with her son . . . and then the power you seek shall be given to you---but at a price. You will have to pay for this forbidden power . . . in exchange for something you cherish."
 
'Something I . . . will I lose InuYasha? Kikyou! Please . . . don't leave me . . .'
 
'I will be here whenever you need me. I live . . . in you.'

8:88:888:88:8

A/N
 
Sorry this took so long, but I decided I'm going to make a sequel, and I was working on it. So please be patient with me! I know this chapter may be a little short---that's because I changed my mind about the outcome, again.Sorry! Enjoy!