InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Good Advice ❯ A Little Advice ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I do not own Inuyasha and I make no money from these stories.

This fic was written for the Wanted Challenge at Dokuga_Contest @ Livejournal. It consists of six chapters, but it may get a sequel at some point.

Chapter 1 - A Little Advice - (Partners in Crime - 1519)

Sesshoumaru mentally snarled as he walked through the crowded hall. As usual, the slew of teens cleared a path while every pair of eyes followed his movements… every pair but hers. He watched in his peripheral vision as the girl next to her elbowed her in the ribs and he listened to their every word.

-

“Ouch! What?” she asked softly.

“Sesshoumaru!” the girl with long straight brown hair hissed in her ear, never taking her eyes off the demon.

“And?” Kagome said with disinterest before returning her attention to her task.

-

He failed to hold back the rumbling growl that escaped him as he saw the object of his attention toss her backpack over her shoulder, close her locker, and walk away. Her eyes fluttered past him as she turned and he knew that nothing had changed.

She never made an effort to look at him, unlike every other girl in the school. When she did glance his way it was as if he was just like everyone else, a feeling that he did not like one bit considering he was better than everyone else, incredibly so. Why didn’t she know it? It was obvious to anyone with eyes! What was worse was when it seemed as if she didn’t see him at all, as if he were invisible. Sesshoumaru was anything but invisible and he couldn’t stand to be ignored!

To tell the truth, he wasn’t sure why he cared. She was just another girl and he could have his pick of them. Why did it matter that she refused to acknowledge him? Why wouldn’t she acknowledge him? Did the girl think she was somehow better than him? He never managed to spend his time figuring out why it bothered him so much. His thoughts always seemed to devolve into wondering what the hell was wrong with her in the first place. All he knew for sure was that he needed to get her attention.

-

Sesshoumaru dropped his books, startling the other males seated around the table.

“What crawled up your ass?” Kouga asked with a laugh, ignoring the threatening snarl the taiyoukai sent in his direction.

“He’s in a bad mood,” Miroku said sagely, also ignoring Sesshoumaru’s displeasure.

“Do not speak of that which you know nothing,” the angry demon growled.

“But, my dear friend, I do know,” Miroku replied with a grin.

“Well then, illuminate me, Monk.”

“You find yourself attracted to a certain girl, one who does not appear to reciprocate the feeling.”

The cafeteria was suddenly filled with the hooting, hollering laughter of Kouga and Inuyasha as Sesshoumaru gave them both the evil eye, cursing the fact that he could not in fact kill them with just a look, no matter how hard he tried. Miroku decided to put an end to it before the whole school came to find out what was so funny, smacking them both in the back of the head. Inuyasha yipped as he bit his tongue and Kouga snorted, trying to contain his continued amusement.

“So, you’re not going to bother denying it?” Inu asked, his words a little slurred as he nursed his now pierced tongue.

“Fine,” Sesshoumaru said while glaring at Miroku. “You are correct. Since you are so all-knowing, explain to this Sesshoumaru why she does not behave as all the other females.”

“That’s an easy one. Even I know that,” Inuyasha interjected before Miroku could answer. “Kaggie’s not like all the other girls. She’s not gonna just sigh and faint if you glance at her.”

The taiyoukai’s eyes widened. Was he that transparent that the half-breed not only knew of his situation but who was the focus of his unreciprocated attention?

Kouga laughed at a much more normal volume this time. “You’re that obvious,” he answered the unspoken question. “At least to us. I don’t think the general public is aware yet,” he teased, “but they will be if you keep up the pouting and little temper tantrums.”

Sesshoumaru snarled. “I cannot help it. The situation is infuriating! This Sesshoumaru must find a way to catch her eye, to draw her attention, but I do not know how or where to begin. I have never before had to pursue a female.”

Inuyasha snickered. “Awww, how’s it feel to be just like everyone else, to not have things handed to you on a diamond-encrusted platinum platter?”

“It would be unwise to continue, half-breed,” the taiyoukai growled dangerously.

Miroku decided to interrupt before the hanyou became a rather messy piece of modern art when his half-brother used his intestines to decorate the cafeteria. “I have a suggestion, if you would like to hear it.” Attention successfully diverted, the monk continued. “You have to find a way to spend time with her, to show her that you have interests similar to hers.”

Sesshoumaru frowned. “And how exactly do you suggest I do so?”

“Easy. Join some of her activities. You know she’s in theater, loves pottery class, and works on the school paper. Any of those would be a great way to get close to her.”

“That is a ridiculous idea. This Sesshoumaru would not be caught dead in drama,” he said with distaste, “and I have no interest in pottery or journalism. I doubt very much that she would notice me in a different location any more than she currently does.”

“I thought you might say that,” Miroku said with a devious grin, sliding a folded newspaper out from under his lunch tray. “Why not take a look at Kagome’s advice column and see what she has to say about it.”

The taiyoukai glared at the monk as he accepted the proffered paper. “You did not…”

“Oh, he did,” Kouga chimed in.

Sesshoumaru’s eyes moved quickly as he read the small printed words…

Help! I’m totally crushing on the most beautiful chick and she doesn’t know I’m alive! It’s like I’m invisible and it’s driving me mad. I want to ask her out but I can’t, not when she so obviously ignores me. How can I get her to notice me and give me a chance?
Signed, Desperate Demon

A very dangerous growl echoed around them, making Miroku question his tactics for just a second as his hair stood on end.

Dear Desperate Demon,
If you want to get close to this special girl, you need to show her that you’re the guy for her. Join some of her activities, show her that you have shared interests, and maybe she’ll start seeing you in a new light. Be friendly rather than hitting on her. Give her a chance to get to know you and she’ll be yours before you know it.
Good Luck!
Kagome

When Sesshoumaru looked up again, Miroku smiled. “What are the chances that she’d give the same advice if it wasn’t the way to go?” The look in the demon’s eyes told him he’d given in. Sesshoumaru stood and quickly gathered his things. “Where are you going?”

“This Sesshoumaru must see the guidance counselor about making a few adjustments to my schedule,” he replied before disappearing.

Kouga looked at a smug Miroku and laughed. “You know, if this doesn’t work, he’s going to skin you alive.”

Miroku swallowed nervously. “Yeah, I know, but you guys encouraged me to do it. If I go down, I'm taking you both down with me.”

-

The guidance counselor gave the demon seated before her a strange look. “Are you sure you want to change classes now, right in the middle of the semester?”

Sesshoumaru nodded, irritated that the woman felt it necessary to question his decision.

“May I ask why?”

“No.”

Her mouth hung open for a moment in shock before she managed to close it. Yes, she’d heard of this particular student’s entitled attitude, but she’d never been witness to it before. “I’ll need permission from a parent to make these changes, especially because of what you’ve chosen to drop in exchange for these electives.”

“This Sesshoumaru already has the required number of credits to graduate. What classes I take now matters very little.”

“Still…”

Sesshoumaru snarled and pulled his cell phone from his jeans, ignoring the counselor’s protests. He dialed quickly and said just a few words before handing her the phone. “My Father would be happy to give the permission required.”

She took the phone from him and stammered stupidly for a moment as she listened to the older taiyoukai berate her for causing his son to interrupt him during business hours for something so petty as classes. After a moment, she handed the phone back and nodded at Sesshoumaru. “I’ll print out your new schedule for you. You need to return your books to the classes you will no longer be taking and you can start the new ones tomorrow. Your new teachers will be notified by morning.”

“Why thank you,” he said in a condescending tone, accepting the piece of paper offered by a shaking hand. Tomorrow he would start. Tomorrow he would begin to wiggle his way into her thoughts until he found his way into her heart.