InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Harem ❯ Chapter 14

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

DISCLIAMER: Inuyasha belong to Rumiko Takahashi and not to me. The AU world this story is set in, the plot and any additional characters do belong to me though, and so please don't try to take them without my permission. I make no profit of this story, and am doing it only for my own enjoyment (and hopefully yours too).
 
CHAPTER 14
 
Since Kagome had come to reside in Inuyasha's Harem, it had become common for her to sleep late and not be seen by her fellow concubines and the Harem staff until late morning. At first Kagome felt like she was being lazy because of this, having been used to getting up more or less with the dawn back in Ado, in order to get as many of her chores done as possible before it got to hot to be working outdoors in the desert sun. Still, after a few weeks she grew to care less and less about that. After all, her `chores' such as they were at the Harem kept her up late into the night, making her very tired in the morning. And when she did wake up, these days it was becoming more and more common for Inuyasha to want to go for another round. Not that Kagome minded, far from it, but it did mean that it was usually approaching noon by the time anyone else at the Harem saw Kagome now days. Today was no exception to this rule, although for once Kagome's reason for not being seen earlier was very different than usual.
 
Kagome had been up half the night, but not for so nearly as pleasant a reason as she usually found herself these days. Shortly after Sango left, Kagome's attempts to tell herself that her best friend being summoned to Inuyasha's chambers instead of her failed, and she collapsed into tears. She was soon crying so hard she was unable to stop, and it was close to midnight that she finally fell asleep, still crying to herself. When she woke up that morning it was fast approaching noon, yet to Kagome it seemed like no time had pasted at all as she was still exhausted from her long night of crying. She felt horrible too, and one glance at the mirror told her she more than looked it. Her eyes were blood shot and her face smeared with dry tearstains.
 
Kagome couldn't let anyone see her like that. She couldn't let anyone know how Inuyasha taking another concubine for one night affected her. Dalal and Muna would laugh their heads off, and do everything in their power to pour salt into her wounds. As for Sango, well that was an even bigger problem than Dalal and Muna. Kagome could see two possibilities for what might happen should Sango find out how upset she had been and still was. One, she would think Kagome was turning into a power hungry whore like Dalal and Muna, wanting all of Inuyasha's attention for herself and only willing to be friends with someone who was not a threat. It might very well be the end of their friendship, and Kagome hated that idea every bit as much as Sango spending the night with Inuyasha in the first place. The other possibility Kagome saw would be that Sango would feel guilty about making Kagome so upset, and blame herself for it. Kagome didn't want Sango to feel guilty, it wasn't her fault Inuyasha wanted Sango last night and not her. What's more, Sango would no doubt ask Kagome why she was so upset, and Kagome, didn't want to answer that. In fact, she couldn't answer that. She had no idea why the thought of Inuyasha having sex with Sango upset her so much, only that it did, deeply.
 
Then there was another possibility that Kagome really, really, couldn't let happen. Inuyasha might still be in the Harem when she emerged, and he would see how his choosing Sango last night affected her. No! She couldn't let that happen! Either he would feel guilty about making her cry, or even worse, he would think she was turning into the concubine equivalent of a deranged stalker and not want to have anything to do with her at all. She couldn't bare the thought of Inuyasha not wanting anything to do with Kagome at all. She truly couldn't bare it. She didn't know how it happened, she didn't know why it happened, but Inuyasha's attention had become as important to her as the air she breathed. The thought of never being with Inuyasha again was more than she handle, the very thought made her want to scream in panic. Even if he went back to Sango as his favourite concubine, Kagome needed to be able to at least stay by his side and be his friend. She needed to be allowed to stay by his side.
 
It was with those desperate thoughts in mind that Kagome spent the next hour in front of the mirror, desperately trying to erase the effects of a long night crying. Only when she was fully confident that she looked her old cheerful self again (even if she did not feel that way), did she dare emerge from her room.
 
By this stage it was far too late for breakfast, but lunch should be served soon. While Kagome didn't really feel like eating she knew she should, especially after skipping breakfast, and that the dinning room was probably be the best place to look for Sango. As much as last night had hurt Kagome, she couldn't blame it on Sango and she was still her best friend after all. She couldn't let her feelings change that, but if she let this go on too long they just might. Better to go see Sango and work towards moving on as soon as possible. Besides, chances were very high this wasn't going to be the last time something like this happened. Kagome had better work up a thicker skin and learn to deal with it as soon as possible, and dealing with Sango like everything was normal was the best way she could think of to do that.
 
She just hoped that Sango wouldn't want to talk about last night. Maybe one day she would be able to deal with that, but she didn't think she could today. It was just too soon.
 
Was this how Sango felt when she first came to the Harem and took Inuyasha's attention away from her? Kagome didn't think so, or else Sango would never have been able to be so friendly towards her. And if what Kagome was suspected might be between Sango and Miroku was true… well, either way, for the first time Kagome thought she might truly understand why concubine were so rarely able to be friends.
 
Once again pushing those hurtful thoughts from her mind (even though she knew they would be coming back soon enough), Kagome entered the dinning room, expecting to see either Sango sitting there waiting for her, or an empty room where she would sit down and wait for Sango instead.
 
However, what she found was something completely unexpected.
 
***
 
Shiori hummed to herself as she stirred the soup on her family's small cooking fire. She had always liked cooking, which is why she first applied for a position in the castle kitchens when it became clear that her growing family would need more than her father's somewhat limited income. Her two year old triplet brothers had been a huge surprise, and while they were certainly welcomed by the entire family there could be no denying that it cost quite a bit to keep all three feed and clothed. However as Shiori had quickly learnt, the kitchens were not a good place for her to work. While she had certainly experienced her share of prejudice in the past, due to her mixed heritage, the workers in the kitchens took it to a new level. Faruq, the head cook and master of the kitchen, he was nice and tried to make the rest of the kitchen staff leave her alone. Many of the other workers were nice to her too. However, there were enough who objected to her presence to make life unpleasant for her during the short time she worked there, eventually accumulating in one of her fellow worker pouring boiling water down her back when no one was looking. She still didn't know which worker had done that, despite Faruq's furious search for the culprit. Fortunately the burns weren't anywhere near as serious as they had first appeared and Shiori was able to go back to work within a month. Of course it helped that Faruq insisted that she go to one of the best healers money could buy and that he would pay for all expenses. Shiori still felt a little guilty about that, but promised herself that she would pay Faruq back one day. The man had been nothing but good to her since the first moment she started working for him after all, it was really the least she could do.
 
Faruq was also the reason Shiori had her new job as well. After the incident with the boiling water, Faruq hadn't wanted her to come back for fear that the same if not worse might happen to her. In truth, Shiori had been scared of that possibility as well, but knew that her family really needed the money. However, because of Faruq that that never became an issue, as while she was still recovering he went out and found her another, even better paying job, working as a maid with the Harem of none of than Prince Inuyasha.
 
Shiori would admit she was sceptical about taking such a job at first. She had become wary of working within the palace in general, and harems didn't exactly have the best reputations as places to work. In fact, if you wanted to believe the stories people told, they were probably the most uncomfortable places to work possible, filled with back stabbing soiled noble bitches who would happily see you flayed alive at the drop of a hat. Still, Faruq told her she would be safer working in there and she trusted him. Beside, when it came down to it, Shiori really didn't have all that much choice. Her family needed the money and she couldn't find anywhere else to work right then.
 
However, much to Shiori's surprise, she found she actually liked working in the Harem. Sure, Dalal and Muna were living representatives of the `spoiled bitch concubine', and most if not all of the other maids were stuck up snobs who seemed to dislike everyone. But still, Shiori enjoyed it. Inuyasha had made it clear from the get go that the other maids and even the concubines were not to make things difficult for her (Shiori assumed Faruq may have had something to do with that), so while most of those within weren't overly nice to her, neither were they overly mean. For the most part her existence was ignored as long as she carried out the portion of the chores. And the chores themselves were fairly easy. It was mostly housework stuff which she had been doing her whole life anyway, and there were so many maids that no one really had to do too much.
 
Then there was the thing that really made working in the Harem and enjoyable experience for Shiori. Actually two things. Actually two people. Kagome and Sango. Two of the most unlikely friends Shiori had never expected to meet. Two of Prince Inuyasha's concubines, with one of the being the prince's undisputed favourite. To say that Shiori was uncomfortable around them at first would be an understatement. She had no ideas how she was supposed to act to women in their… occupation. She also expected that they would not want to have anything to do with a half-breed maid anyway. So she had been beyond shocked with how quickly they had opened up to her, how nice they had been. At first Shiori had been wary, thinking that maybe it was some kind of mean joke the two were playing, pretending to be nice to her only to turn around and laugh later. It wasn't as if she hadn't meet people in the past who would pretend to be her friend and then push her in the mud or whatever. But as time went by Shiori realised that the two had no ulterior motives and really were just that nice. As time went by, Shiori truly started seeing them as friends. In fact, by now they were like the two older sisters Shiori had never had.
 
Taking another taste of the soup, Shiori smiled and decided that it was about as close to perfect as she could make it. Dishing out a large bowl full, Shiori laid said bowl on a tray along with a small loaf of bread and headed for her mother's bedroom. Her mother had come down with an illness earlier this week, and while the healer said she would be fine in a few days she needed to stay in bed and rest until then. It was because of this that Shiori was staying home this week, to look after her mother and her younger siblings. Another reason why she liked her new job so much, it was possible for anyone to take a few days off if needed without having to fear loosing their job. A lot of jobs in the city weren't so generous; her father's included which was why he was still at work today. Shiori smiled as she walked down the short hall to her mother's bedroom, hearing her little brothers playing in their own room. After she gave this soup to her mother she would dish out some to feed Elyas, Raakin and Cyd as soon as it was cool enough, and grab some for herself.
 
Still smiling as she gently kicked open her mother's door, her hands full with the tray, Shiori spared a moment to wonder how her dear `sisters' were doing today.
 
***
 
“Kagome dear, good morning.” Dalal all but purred upon seeing her rival in the doorway. This was going to be good, the redheaded concubine thought with a deep smirk. She couldn't wait to see Kagome's face when she told that commoner her news.
 
“What do you want Dalal?” Kagome asked, getting straight to the point. Kagome knew there was something big on Dalal's mind; she didn't trust that smirk on her face, like the cat that had eaten the pet nightingale. And for some reason, the look Dalal was giving her made Kagome feel like she was a second nightingale and about to be devoured also.
 
“Oh, nothing darling.” Dalal said, her voice still carrying that sickingly fake sweetness. “Just waiting for lunch. I so need some good food to help me recover from last night. Prince Inuyasha had me up until nearly dawn you know. He was so passionate I didn't think he'd ever get tired.”
 
The look on Kagome's face, Dalal decided, was absolutely priceless, and she wished she had some kind of magic picture-taking-device to capture that expression forever. Of yes, this was a good day.
 
“What, what are you talking about?” Kagome demand, shaking herself out of her shock induced stupor. “Inuyasha was with Sango last night.” The thought of her friend with the prince was hard enough to swallow, but Dalal…
 
“Oh, yes he did call her to his chambers last night.” Dalal said, her voice practically giddy. “But not to have sex with her, oh no, he just wanted to yell at her for a while. Poor prince Inuyasha was so angry when I told him I had evidence of his former favourite concubine having an affair with his spiritual advisor and best friend. Such a shame. I imagine he'll be ordering a couple of executions soon. However, he called for me after he was done yelling at his soon to be former concubine Sango, and I was able to offer him comfort. I so exhausted by the end from how much comfort he wanted from me. Not that I'm complaining of course. He certainly hasn't lost his skill in bed, even from months of having such an inexperienced twit like you on a regular basis.”
 
Kagome just stared at Dalal for a long moment after that, not quite able to take in everything she was hearing. Sango and Miroku really were… Dalal somehow found out… and now Inuyasha knew… EXECUTIONS!
 
As the last thought penetrated Kagome's shock filled mind, she suddenly span around and raced from the room as fast as possible, almost tripping over her gown as she did so. She had to find Sango, she had to talk to her now!
 
As she raced out of there, Kagome heard Dalal yell after her a few last words of gleeful menace.
 
“Aren't you staying for lunch, Kagome dear? Well I am. I think after that I'll have a nap. After all I suspect that the Prince will be looking for me for more comfort tonight. I want to be well rested for him, you understand.” Her words were immediately followed but a burst of victorious laughter, which Kagome blocked out. Dalal didn't matter any more. She had to find Sango!
 
***
 
Meanwhile, Inuyasha was in the building dedicated to the training and workouts of the castle guards. It was where he usually went when he wanted to bash the hell out of something and couldn't be bothered going to the army training grounds, which were located just outside the city. It was the same today, and Inuyasha was currently beating the shit out of a practice dummy with a blunted sword. Usually this helped Inuyasha deal with whatever was upsetting him. However, today he was much, much more upset that usual and the meagre damage he was doing wasn't cutting it. Maybe if he used a real sword? Or better yet, an oversized battle axe? No, that still wouldn't be enough.
 
Gods damn it, he couldn't bloody believe this! Sango and Miroku? How long had they been in love with each other behind his back? Had they been sneaking off together when he hadn't been looking? How bloody long had they been fucking lying to him! He counted them both amongst his closest friends that they had been… damn it all to Hell!
 
Inuyasha didn't know what upset him more; Sango and Miroku, or the fact that he had to find out about it form Dalal of all people! That damn bitch, she might have tried to hide it from him, but Inuyasha could tell that she was all together too smug when she told him what she had found out. He hadn't wanted to believe her, and when he called for Sango had been hoping that she would say or do something that would prove Dalal to be a liar. But that hadn't happened, and now he was forced to face the unpleasant truth that his best friend and his concubine had betrayed him. It was a bitter tonic to swallow.
 
His night with Dalal had brought him no comfort either, that was for sure. In fact, if anything it made him feel worse. Maybe if he had called for Kagome instead she might have been able to help sooth his troubled soul. He did feel calmer and happier around her after all. But last night he had just been so damn angry, so upset, that he didn't want to risk calling Kagome, for fear he would scare her or, even worse, hurt her. His rough and even brutal fucking of Dalal might very well have been enough to do that after all. Dalal hadn't seemed to have minded at all, but then again Inuyasha wasn't really all that sure he would have cared if she did. He was as angry at her telling him as he was at Sango and Miroku, so if he had scared her it wouldn't matter all that much to him. Kagome however, was a different matter. She was blameless in all this, and she meant far more to him than Dalal ever did.
 
Inuyasha growled to himself as he whacked once again at the practice dummy in a rage. Right now he wanted to forget everything he had heard, said and done last night. Just for a few moments, he wanted to erase it from his mind.
 
So, of course, it was right at that very minute that Miroku had the outstandingly bad timing to walk into the room.
 
“Inuyasha, there you are! I've been looking all over for you.” Miroku said, his voice annoying cheerful, having no clue as to the danger he was walking into. “Are we still going riding?”
 
Well, that did it. Whatever was left of Inuyasha very meagre supply of patience snapped. This was not going to be pretty.
 
“Everybody out!” Inuyasha roared, startling the guards enough that a couple of them actually jumped, before they all took to the door at a dead run. Even if he wasn't their prince, all who worked in the palace knew of Inuyasha's temper, and none of them wanted to be nearby when he was so clearly close to exploding. Miroku almost took off with them, and would have if Inuyasha didn't bark out a “You stay!” at the last moment.
 
“Inuyasha?” Miroku asked worriedly, searching his memory for the last time he had seen his long time friend this angry, and coming up blank. “What's wrong?”
 
“What's wrong?” Inuyasha repeated, his voice almost a growl. “I'll tell you what's wrong. I had a very interesting conversation with Dalal and then later with Sango last night. Do you want to tell me, priest, what the fuck you were thinking having an affair with one of my concubines?”
 
Miroku felt like his heart had stopped. How did… surely Sango wouldn't have… wait he said Dalal, did the bitch see them in the garden? Well, it didn't matter now did it? The truth was obviously out and lying now could only make things worse. He had to tell his friend the truth.
 
“I wasn't thinking.” Miroku said softly.
 
That, is obvious.” Inuyasha growled, making Miroku wince but he was determined to finish what he was saying.
 
“I wasn't thinking, and this isn't something I planned.” Miroku said. “I never wanted to fall in love with Sango, but I did. I couldn't help it, and it only became worse when I came to suspect she had feelings for me too. Even still, I never planed to act on them, but I couldn't help it. Please don't blame Sango, Inuyasha, I'm the one that kissed her. She actually pushed me away and told me not to do that ever again. And I swear, nothing more than that ever happened.”
 
Seeing Miroku standing there, his eyes begging him to understand was more than Inuyasha could bare right then and he turned around to stare at the practice dummy again. “Get out.” Inuyasha hissed. He wanted to be alone right then.
 
Miroku nodded and slowly walked towards the door. Somehow he wasn't scared by what this revelation would lead to, even though he knew it might very well be his death and the death of the woman he loved more than anything. Right then, all he felt was a deep sadness that it had come to this.
 
However, Miroku paused at the door and looked back at the man he still considered his best friend. “Neither Sango or I ever wanted to hurt you, nor betray you Inuyasha. If you believe nothing else, I beg you to at least try to believe that.” with that, Miroku continued his slow, sad walk out the door.
 
What Miroku didn't see was Inuyasha noticeably flinch as he remembered Sango saying almost the exact same thing the night before, in the same tone of voice.
 
“I don't know what to believe anymore.” Inuyasha said so softly that even he could barely hear it.
 
Glancing back at the practice dummy and then his blunted sword, Inuyasha growled again. “Fuck this, are there any battle axes around here?”