InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Haze'd ❯ Chapter Two: The Trial Begins ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Haze'd
By: DarkCrystalis and edited by Jon04CTSV

Disclaimer: I own no one and nothing; are you happy about that?

Summary: Judge K.S. Higurashi is the youngest person in all of history to have such a powerful role in society. She commands attention with merely a glance, and her intelligence goes far beyond anyone else's her age. However, when she is met with a trial which is the most difficult as of yet, she is torn between doing the lawful thing, and her emotional attachments. [SK]

XxXx

Chapter Two:
The Trial Begins

Kagome arrived to her chambers an hour early, silently thanking herself in return. Shrugging off her black leather coat, she assessed herself in the small wall mirror. Running her fingers through her hair, she smiled brightly at the reflection, and walked towards her overbearingly high piled desk.

Stacks and stacks of papers were scattered on the wood's surface, but she didn't seem distraught about it. In fact, instead of panicking, she pushed them aside, plopping down a new pile in front of her.

Opening the pale yellow file folder as she stood, K.S. Higurashi scanned the sheets for today trial once more.

Sesshoumaru Taisho, the man who's killed 21 people, and gotten away with each murder...

...damn.

The reality of the case seemed to be hitting her only just now, which was what made her breathing suddenly quicken. Closing her eyes, she commanded herself to become calm, and doing her best to keep a level head.

Once she had some-what even breathing, she opened her eyes, only to see someone's shadow looming in her open doorway.

It was none other than Sesshomaru Taisho's, no doubt.

'Great...'

XxXx

He watched her from his current spot, a face set in stone as he observed her breathing quicken. As if it were a routine, she closed her eyes, and took deep breaths. As she did so, her fair chest rose and fell, making him unconsciously lick his lips.

Scowling at his unnatural behaviour, he leaned in closer, opting to inahle her scent; it consisted of nervousness, fear...and determination.

Replacing his previous scowl, Sesshomaru crossed his arms across his chest, waiting for her to realize his presence.

Soon enough her strangely coloured bright blue eyes met his, and time stood still.

Moving towards her without noticing, he stopped inches from her face.

"Mr. Taisho, what a...pleasant surprise," she stated cooly, staring into his golden eyes with utter calm.

Staring back, he nodded his head once. "Of course, Miss K. Higurashi."

"It's Judge K.S. Higurashi, Mr. Taisho." Feeling her cool facial features faulter, she inwardly scowled. This wasn't how things were supposed to go!

Drawing his eyebrows together slightly, Sesshomaru smiled an emotionless smile. It didn't reach his eyes, or lighten his features.

In fact, he looked down right evil when he smiled.

"Of course; my apologies, Judge. K.S. Higurashi," he answered, articulating the "S" this time.

Noticing the uncomfortable silence that followed, Kagome turned around to get away from him; he was far too close for comfort. Gingerly sitting down in her chair, she swiveled around to look up at him.

"Was there something you needed from me, Mr. Taisho? I'm sure that you need to prepare for today's trial."

Hoping he'd leave with that comment, she swirled back around, reading the papers on her desk. However, Kagome was sorely mistaken when he came up behind her sitting form.

"What do I need? Are you sure that's an appropriate question to be asking me, Miss K.S. Higurashi?"

Leaning down to breathe hotly in her ear, Kagome shivered unconsciously in response. The warm air was tickling her, and making her react in ways she didn't want.

Shrugging her shoulders defiantly, Kagome flipped her hair in his face as she turned around in her chair.

"Mr. Taisho, I'll have you know that you're not in a position to be inferring such matters as those to myself. If you have a legitimate concern, question, or worry, please let me know immediately. However, if you do not, I have work I must complete; uninterrupted," she added as an after-thought.

Tilting her head in his direction, she stared into his eyes, waiting for his cold response.

Instead of the harsh words she'd been expecting, he caressed his fingers down the plains of her cheeks.

Flinching away at his touch, Kagome's eyes hardened considerably.

"I believe we are finished here, Mr. Taisho."

Returning to his standing position, Sesshomaru left her chambers without looking back, closing the door behind him.

Sagging in her chair, Kagome looked at her hands as they trembled from their encounter.

'What did he just do to me?'


XxXx

Clenching his teeth together outside her chambers, Sesshomaru vowed this wasn't the end.

'I will have her; it's all a matter of time.'

Gliding down the halls, he walked into the courtroom, where his half-brother, Inuyasha, was preparing for the trial.

"Are you ready?"

Inuyasha looked at him as if he'd lost his mind.

"I've saved your ass on 21 other occasions; how could I not be ready?"

Nodding his head in approval, Sesshomaru sat down in one of the chairs to the left of the defendant's area.

"What are you doing here anyways? Shouldn't you be harassing the judge?"

Getting no response, Inuyasha glared at him.

"So, she kicked you out, huh? I guess she has more spunk than all the other judges; the rumours are true."

Scowling at the comment, Sesshomaru could not deny it's truth; in reality, he really had been kicked out of her chambers.

"I am not worried, half-brother. I will have her and the plaintif soon enough."

Hearing his brother growl loduly in response, Sesshomaru had a hard time hiding his surprise.

"You are interested in the opponent? She's merely a woman, Inuyasha; a bitch."

"A lovely one at that, and I'll shake her up like a pair of dice."

A calm silence followed, which Inuyasha was oblivious to.

"Just don't fuck this up; today's case is the most complicated as of yet, and there's no room for careless mistakes."

Inuyasha kept in his laughter, opting glaring at his brother instead.

"I might fuck Sango up, but definately not this case." Grinning, Inuyasha continued relentlessly. "Actually, I think you're the one on the score board with fuck up number one; at least I wasn't kicked out of Ms. May's office."

Giving his half-brother the finger, Sesshomaru did his best to relax in the uncomfortable chair, deciding to stay silent for the rest of the time.

'I'll be fucking
Higurashi up pretty soon too, dearhalf-brother; just you wait and see.'

XxXx

Sango May proudly stepped into the courthouse, with her dark brown leather briefcase in hand. Keeping a serious face, she walked to the plantif's area, and set her case on the dark wooden table. Opening it, she ruffled through some papers before finding the ones she wanted.

Quickly skimming through them, she picked up a selected few and sat down in one of the chairs near her.

However, before she could get further than a sentence, a shadow loomed over her.

"What would you like, Mr. Taisho?" Sango asked, without bothering to look up.

"I don't remember mentioning I wanted something from you, Miss May. But, now that you mention it..." Leaning down into her ear, he watched her face contort into something of uncomfort with deliberate cockyness. "I'd like many...'things' from you, Miss Sango May; the question is, are you willing enough?"

Shoving him away from their close proximity, Sango huffed, and scowled deeply at him. Standing up from the chair, she went over to his area and poked him in the chest, suddenly getting an idea.

Pulling his head down closer her, she began to whisper in his ear, in low, huskier tones.

"You'd like that, wouldn't you, baby? If we could go at it alllll nighttttt longggg?" Exhaling a slight groan, she pulled his face even closer to her own.

"Oh yes," Inuyasha mumbled, going in to kiss her lips.

"Too bad it isn't going to happen, babe," she whispered against his lips before they collided with her own.

Instead of the gentle kiss he'd been anticipating, she kneed him harshly in the krotch, loving the way her body connected painfully with his.

Inuyasha's face showed pain as his body rocked forwards, making him cross his knees at the extreme discomfort.

"Bitch, what was that for?"

Sango glared at him before seating herself once more.

"First of all, you don't make moves on your opponent. Second of all, I'd have to be pretty desperate to want to fall for you, of all people. Third of all, Sesshomaru Taisho will be put behind bars very soon; I doubt you'd want to date the woman that put your brother in jail."

Smiling, she added, "Oh, and I don't think you'd want to date the woman that overcame you in this case, dear Inuyasha Taisho. Please excuse me, I have the need for the ladies room."

Trotting off as her heels clicked on the tiled ground, she turned around at the corridor, smiled brightly, and then winked at Inuyasha, before finally disappearing.

Sesshomaru's eyebrows shot up slightly in surprise, after watching their little episode.

"She's got you wrapped around her finger, dear half brother. Don't let that interfere with our case; you need to win."

Inuyasha growled loudly, completely disagreeing with his statement, but decided not to go against it.

If only to myself, I'll admit I have an attraction to Sango's firey personality...

...and I
will be taking her out to dinner, regardless of what happens; whether she wants to or not.

XxXx

Miroku walked into the courthouse, more than ready for today's trial. He'd been to all the other trials, trying to get Sesshomaru Taisho put behind bars. However, to no avail, Mr. Taisho always managed to escape the weak clutches of the law.

Miroku Lai, Chief of Police at only twenty six years of age, was a living, breathing, lech. Sure, he did an amazing job with his career, but when it came to ladies in his personal life, he was hopeless.

Miroku is an attractive man, but he has trouble keeping his hands to himself.

Women were treated as gods by him; taken to fancy dinners, fed exquiste foods, given jewlery, but neither of them were willing enough to be groped on a daily basis by him. For some odd reason, he took an obsession to women's asses, finding them oh-so interesting, and more like a toy than anything else.

Everytime he sees a young woman, he cannot resist but to squeeze it, and judge it's texture. His personal favourite was the soft, but lean type of ass; but that's getting a little off topic. The point is, he cannot find a female that can handle being with him long enough to be considered 'his' woman.

Sighing, Miroku waved weakly when he saw a young woman sitting in a chair. Grinning his most dashing grin, he made his move.

Sango wanted to drop her jaw when she saw who was waving at her. It was the Chief of Police, Miroku Lai! Many times, she'd seen him on the television, often complaining how Sesshomaru Taisho had gotten away with murder again.

However, the only real reason why she remembered him was because of his strange colour choice of clothing.

For some odd reason, he always wore something purple; whether it be a dark purple shirt, tie, or over coat.

The worst part of it all for Sango was that she thought it suited him.

Stop thinking stupidly, woman; I refuse to hit on the Chief of Police!

Waving back at him, the two made sudden eye contact, neither breaking their trance.

Sango's gaze didn't waver, and neither did his.

For a moment, time stood still for the two strangers, staring blankly into one another's eyes.

However, the intensity of the moment soon became too much, and both of them looked away from one another. Sango licked her lips nervously, while Miroku rubbed his neck softly.

Approaching each other, Sango introduced herself first.

"My name is Sango May, and I'm..."

"...And you're the best female lawyer we've got to offer. Lovely meeting you; my name is Miroku Lai and I'm..."

"...You're the Chief of Police, I'm well aware."

"Err...right; of course you'd know, you also work in law enforcement!" Smiling nervously, he took a seat from where she was previously.

Hating their silence, Sango coughed, making his eyes flick to her.

"The trial will be starting soon...are you prepared?"

Miroku nodded strongly, no nervousness in his features.

"That's...good..."

Inuyasha Taisho watched them intensly, hating Miroku Lai with every passing moment. Striding over to them, he wore a look of cool indifference as he introduced himself again, as he had many times before.

"Inuyasha Taisho, best male lawyer in Japan," he stated, accentuating the word 'male', silently implying 'and what do you have to offer better than me?'

"Miroku Lai, Chief of Police," he answered as usual, seemingly uncaring of Inuyasha's previous comment. "It seems that we have the pleasure of meeting again, Inuyasha Taisho," he added smoothly.

Inuyasha scowled, but then grinned haughtily.

"We'll win again, Miroku; don't get too worked up over this."

Sango scowled from her seat, disliking where their conversation was going.

"Either way, I've won one thing by the end of the trial." Looking to Sango for support, Miroku smiled at her. "You'll go out to dinner with me some time after the trial, won't you Miss May?"

Sango mentally shivered from the way he asked her; his voice was buttery smooth, and deep.

It was taking an effect her, and perhaps that wasn't such a good idea fifteen minutes before the trial.

Thinking of something coherent to say, Sango nodded easily. "If you'd like, I have no objections, Mr. Lai," she said, glaring at Inuyasha coldy.

"Oh, it'll be wonderful Miss May, I promise."

Giggling like a school girl at his comment, Sango smiled genuinely at him. "Call me Sango; no need for formalities."

"Only if you'll call me Miroku, dear Sango."

Feeling her cheeks redden slightly, she avoided his gaze and nodded.

Inuyasha huffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Don't forget the dinner we're having, Sango dearest," Inuyasha spat in a sickly sweet tone.

"I don't remember promising you that, Mr. Taisho. I'd like to keep the formalities between us, because of our current situation," she added, loving the way his eyes raged.

"Very well, Miss May," he ground out.

Waving at him in dismissal, she turned to Miroku. "Would you like to grab a coffee with me, before the trial starts?"

"I'd love to, Sango."

Walking off chatting lightly, Inuyasha watched the scene with anger bubbling in his chest.

"It seems you have some competition, and women problems of your own," Sesshomaru said, grinning darkly.

"Shut up, half-brother."

XxXx

Judge K.S. Higurashi walked in approximately fifteen minutes later in her proper attire with a coffee mug in her left hand. In her right hand was a pale yellow folder, holding all the information on this case.

Yawning behind her delicate arm, she sat down in her seat behind the podium, sipping her coffee lightly with a stern look on her face.

As the bailiff swore the people in, Kagome sighed. This was going to be a long trial, and today would be just the beginning.

Banging her gavel on the small wooden platform, she called out, "Order, order in the courtroom please."

All of the people in today's trial went dead silent, as both of the lawyers noiselessly stood to their positions.

"This court is now in session."

XxXx

Author's Note

I should probably mention that my story will not be following normal court procedures. Many changes have been made that wouldn't occur in a normal legal system, and I apologize for this in advance. I don't know much about the legal system, and I don't care enough to learn, I suppose.

Just bare with the changes, and I'll do my best to keep you interested in this story as it continues. If the changes bother you that much, then you can just stop reading the story!

As far as the pairings go, if you haven't figured them out yet, then you'll have to stick around and see! However, I will tell you right now that this story's couples are not traditional (Ex. InuKag, MirSan, SessRin), and you may find some of them 'offensive' (Ex. InuRin, but this pairing is not used in my story, it's just an example). However, these pairings are what will make this story work out well for me, which means I'll be able to write better for all of you!

Once again, I hope everyone was able to find some enjoyment in this chapter! Stick around, if it still interests you!

Oh, and last (but not least), thank you to my ten reviewers from chapter one! The reviews were greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

-DarkCrystalis