InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ HeartSong ❯ Need To Be Loved ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
 
CHAPTER FIVE: NEED TO BE LOVED
The sun shyly peered through the thick clouds, but not enough to bring the warmth everyone desperately wished for.
3 months had past since Akari's mother had come and told her that her father was dying; she had yet to hear any more details.
Akari sighed softly as she finished stretching; P.E. was the last class of the day and she was more then ready to go home.
Today had been the first day of the new school term and Akari wasn't very happy to be back in school.
Her eyes flickered over to a group of girls who were snickering and making nasty faces at Akari. Akari responded with a snarl of her own before turning her back on them and walking towards Sakura. Koto was still out of town on a family vacation and Midori was at home sick.
Sakura gave her a smile but it disappeared when she saw Akari's thunderstorm face. She glanced over the other girl's shoulder and confirmed her suspensions.
Kasumi Sato.
Every since Akari had started school 9 months ago, Kasumi had but torment the girl. Akari paid her no mind and that just seemed to egg Kasumi on. Akari said it didn't bother her, especially after hearing similar things from her own mother. But Sakura could see the strain was starting to get to her.
“Come on Akari. You said I could go with you to the shrine today.”
Akari nodded and the two of them made their way to the locker rooms to shower and change.
After changing out of their gym clothes and into street clothes, Akari was in her usual jeans and shirt while Sakura wore the school uniform, the girls walked slowly towards the shrine. Sakura wasn't much of a talker and Akari was grateful. Out of the three girls, Akari felt closest to Sakura, though they hardly had anything in common.
They were just at the steps of the shrine when Sakura heard Akari growled softly; she looked up and felt her heart jump.
Kasumi and her friends where walking towards them; talking loudly and giggling.
Sakura and Akari exchanged glances as Kasumi strolled up to them. She stood right in front of Akari and the first words out of her mouth were a nasty insult.
Sakura watching Akari out of the corner of her mouth and saw her tighten her jaw.
“Move Sato!” Akari snapped.
“But I wanted to talk to you Amaya.”
Akari stepped to the side to go around her but Kasumi's friends quickly blocked the way; making a complete circle around Akari and Sakura.
“Where you going in such a hurry Amaya?” Kasumi taunted, “Mommy need you at home?”
Some of the girls snickered and Akari audibly growled; making them instantly shut up and even fall back a few steps.
Akari suddenly locked eyes with Kasumi; her gaze so intense Kasumi flinched, “Don't you have something better to do with your pathetic life?” Akari asked calmly.
Kasumi's face darkened, “At least I have a life!” she snapped back, “All you do it mope around and visit that stupid shrine.”
Her face twisted into a nasty sneer, “And I have taste in clothes. What you're wearing,” she pointed to Akari's attire, “Is the ugliest outfit I have ever seen.”
Sakura gasped but Akari just smirked, “Yeah? Well, so is your face.”
Even Sakura now took a step back from Akari.
In the 9 months she had gotten to know Akari fairly well and could recognize her moods. Normally she was cold and distance. When she was angry she yelled and punched things. It was when wore that smirked and became eerily calm that worried Sakura.
It meant she was beyond angry.
It meant somebody was going to die.
Kasumi's eyes nearly popped out of her head, “Excuse me?”
Akari crossed her arms, a smirk still on her lips, “But at least I can change. You on the other hand are stuck with the thing you call a face.”
“You think you're all that just `cause you're an American!” Kasumi spat as she took a swing at Akari.
Akari easily caught the girl's fist in her hand, “No” Akari said simply, “I know I'm all that. And it's not because I'm an American.”
Sakura bit her lip, “Don't do it Akari
Akari shoved the girl back, “It's because I can kick you ass.”
Kasumi easily caught herself, but almost didn't get her arm up in time to block Akari's punch.
Kasumi's friends started screaming and Sakura looked around hoping somebody could stop Akari.
She'd only seen Akari like this once before; and it was a sight she never wanted to see again.
Midori grabbed Akari's hand and dragged her into the dress shop; with Sakura right behind them giggle at Akari's face.
School was starting in a few weeks and there was going to be a dance. Midori was determined to get Akaridressed up.
“Even at the expense of my mine life!” she exclaimed as she shoved Akari into a dressing stall with a dress. Judging by the murderous look in Akari's eyes, Sakura was sure Midori's claim wasn't far off.
Finally after a few hours of Midori's yell and Akari's grumblings the three girls left the store.
They were walking by the ice cream parlor and Midori eagerly announced she wanted ice cream. But going inside proved to be a bad idea.
Some boys from school were inside sitting in the corner booth. Their crud and vulgar echoed through out the room. Midori turned pale and she tugged at Akari's arm, “Hey…uh…let's go. I'm not feeling well.”
Akari raised an eyebrow and turned her attention to where Midori had her focus.
Sitting at the end of the table, straddlinga backwards facing chair was KaoriTakahashi. Midori's ex-boyfriend and current ring-leader of the school's “bad boys”.
Akari tightened her jaw. She hardly knew Kaori, but from what she heard about him made her blood boil. Koto told her he was a selfish jerk, a lecher, and treated Midori pretty bad. He cruelly dumped Midori in front of the whole school and then started spreading rumors about her.
Akari clenched her fist and nodded shortly, “No problem Mi. Let's go.”
They turned to leave but Kaori saw them first
“Hey Midori!”
Kaoriran up to them and touched Midori's shoulder. Akari immediatelyturned and took a protective stance in front of the other two girls.
“Go away” she hissed.
Kaori smirked andcasually leaned against the counter, “What's this now? Got yourself a little bodyguard Mi?”
Midori kept her eyes on the floor.
“Leave her alone Kaori” Akari was surprised to see Sakura take a stand next to her, “You've done enough! Just let her be.”
“Oh really?” Kaori reached out to touch Sakura's cheek “I think you're just jealous” Akari slapped Kaori's hand away and stepped in front of Sakura before anyone could blink.
“Keep her hands off her you bastard!”
Kaori started to laugh and the rest of his gang came over, “Did you hear that boys?
Kaori got right in Akari's face, “This little American wants to play with the big boys.”
“Remove your face before I do” Akari growled.
Kaoristepped back, but just enough toshove her back, “You might want to think about what you saybefore you speak bitch!”
Sakura bit her lip, she expected to Akari to blow up; start yelling and swearing. But what she did frightened more.
She smirked.
“That was a bad ideaKaori” she said calmly.
Kaori didn't get a chance to take a breath before he went flying backwards into a table.
It had taken two police officers and three of Kaori's gang to pull them apart. Midori later thanked Akari for sticking up for her and Sakura, but she never wanted to see her like that again. It was scary. Akari just laughed softly as she bandaged up her hand.
Now Akari and Kasumi were going at it just a fiercely as Akari and Kaori. Kasumi was holding her own but she was still no match for Akari; who had been taught to fight.
Sakura started to worry for Kasumi's safety.
“Akari!” Sakura called out desperately, “Stop!”
Both girls were rolling around on the sidewalk; cuts and bruises quickly forming.
“Akari stop it! Please!”
“THAT'S ENOUGH!”
Sakura jumped and looked up. Walking down the steps was a woman, child on one hip and a spatula in the other hand. And she looked angry.
Akari and Kasumi were back on their feet, still hissing at each other. But before they could jump at each other again the woman's voice cracked through the air.
“AMAYA HIKARI YOUNG! YOU STOP THAT THIS INSTANT AND COME UP HERE!”
Akari froze and looked up.
“Now!” Mrs. Higurashi snapped.
Akari's mouth opened then shut and to Sakura's surprise Akari grabbed her backpack and quickly ran up to the woman.
Mrs. Higurashi glanced over Akari's face before nodding her head back to the shrine, “Go and clean yourself up.”
Akari didn't say a word but she stared at the woman before turning and walking up the stairs.
Kasumi watched her go and opened her mouth to yell after her but was cut off by Mrs. Higurashi's harsh voice.
“Don't you dare Kasumi Sato! Believe you me, your mother is going to find out about this and it won't be a happy home for you when you get you butt back there!”
Kasumi snapped her mouth shut and looked slightly afraid.
“Now go home. All of you.”
Kasumi and her group quickly scurried away, leaving Sakura to stare up in awe at Mrs. Higurashi.
The woman's face softened, “Are you a friend of Akari's?
Sakura nodded, “Yes ma'm” she whispered, “My name's Sakura.”
Mrs. Higurashi smiled, “Well them come on up here Sakura. I'm making cookies.”
Sakura smiled back and hurried up the steps after the older woman. Just before the entered the house Sakura glanced over the Mrs. Higurashi, “How did you do that?”
“What? Scare everyone away?”
“No” Sakura looked back towards the street, “With Akari. I've never seen her do that, just stop and come when you called her. Last time she was like that, it took three people to pull her away.”
Mrs. Higurashi smiled, though her eyes were sad, “I see.”
She opened the door, “What you have to understand with Akari is she's in a lot of pain. As one of her close friends I'm sure you know about her situation at him. Her pain is from not having the love of a mother. And I think under all that toughness, she's really craving the attention you would get from a mother. Good or bad. She's desperate to be scolded, especially for fighting. Because that means someone cares enough to stop her.”
Sakura slipped her shoes off and followed her into the kitchen, “You mean she wants to be yelled at?”
“Oh heavens no” Mrs. Higurashi chuckled, “When her mother yelled at her, it was to belittle her and hurt her. Not to protect or help. That's what she needs.”
She set the spatula down on the counter “Don't tell her I said that of course” she said with a smile.
She opened the oven door and pulled out a tray of cookies, “All that girl needs; is to be loved.”
 
Kagome turned into the driveway at the retirement home and parked her car in her normal spot. She wasn't working today but she wanted a chance to talk to Hana without worrying about her other charges. She smiled a hello to the receptionist and walked a quickly as she could to room 108.
She knocked softly before slowly opening the door, “Hana?”
“Why Kagome! I wasn't expecting to see you today.”
Kagome smiled and sat on the couch next to Hana's wheelchair, “I'm not working today. But I thought that I would come and see you.”
Kagome hesitated slightly, “Would it….would it be all right if I asked you some questions?”
Hana turned off the TV and faced Kagome, “About what dear?”
“I would….like to know more about Amaya.”
Hana's eyes glistened slightly and Kagome hurried on, “I was wondering if you would tell me about the day she disappeared.”
Hana shook her head, “There's no reason Kagome. What John remembers could not be true. I do not know what truly happened.”
“I think John was right” Kagome whispered.
Surprised flashed across Hana's face, “You do?” she whispered back.
Kagome nodded, “I can't really tell you why, or even how. But I believe what your husband said. And I think I can find out what happened to Amaya. But I need you to tell me everything you can. Please?”
Hana searched Kagome's eyes before finally nodded, “I will tell you Kagome. I will tell you everything I know.”
She turned her chair towards her bed, “Let me get back in my bed first.”
Kagome helped her back onto her bed and made she was comfortable before grabbing a chair and sitting next to the bed.
“The day she disappeared.” Hana murmured. “It is a vivid to me now as if it had happened yesterday. The date was January 13th, 1984. A little over two months before her 18th birthday. It was a Saturday, beautiful weather outside. John came inside from working on the shed and asked where Akari was. I told him she was at the shrine again.”
Hana looked at Kagome, “Oh how she loved to be there. Of course she never said so, but I could see it in her eyes. I never completely understood why, but I knew it made her happy, so I could never tell her not to go.”
She glanced up at the window, her eyes had a faraway look in them, “John left to go see her at the shrine. He loved her so and wanted to spend some time with her. He figured being at her favorite place would be perfect.”
Hana closed her eyes, “Oh how she loved that place!”
 
Akari closed her eyes and leaned back against the trunk of the tree. The Higurashi was out of town for a few weeks, but Akari didn't mind. She was content to just sit under the tree. Oh how she loved this place. Akari chuckled to herself; she would never, never, tell anyone that. Not even Sakura. But it was true. She loved to be there. It was a place of peace, one that she had looked for her whole life.
And she loved it.
“Akari?”
Akari's eyes snapped open and she turned her head slightly, “Hey Grandpa” she said softly.
John smiled back at her and sat down next to her. When they first met she wouldn't call him anything but John. But over the past 9 months she had eased up and starting calling him Grandpa. He loved it.
“What are you thinking about?”
Akari half shrugged, “Nothing special. Just whatever comes to mind.”
She glanced at him, “Have you heard any more about my father?”
John slowly shook his head and Akari sighed.
John had been trying to get Julie to fly Akari home, so she could at least say goodbye to her father. But Julie wouldn't hear of it.
“What good would it do? He can't hear her. There's no reason to waste good money. Stop bugging us!”
John felt his own anger flare up just at the memory. He finally threatened Julie with a law suit and she agreed to call them once a week with information on Ryan's condition.
Akari never said it, but she was grateful to John for standing up to her mother. It was kinda nice knowing that, if her father did die, she wouldn't be alone against her mother.
John stood suddenly, “Let's go home and call her right now.”
Akari looked up to him in surprise, “What?”
John chuckled and held out a hand, “You heard me. Let's go call and see how your father's doing.”
John held his breath as Akari regarded him with her storm colored eyes.
He always wondered where she got them. Ryan and Julie's eyes were both dark brown, and so was Davis. But Akari's were enchanting. Deep blue and smoky grey mixed into one.
Akari slowly reached up and took his hand and he pulled her to her feet. John was nothing less then pleased she accepted his help, “Maybejust maybe we can undo all the damage Julie has done.”
They started for the car and John started asking her about what she wanted to do when school got out.
They walked past the well house and Akari suddenly stopped.
“What's wrong Akari?”
Akari shook her head, “Nothing. I just…..I'll be right there.”
She ran over to the well house and jerked the door open. A light breeze brushed through her hair and gave her goose bumps, “I know Gramps was just telling a story….but I can't help but wonder.”
She shivered slightly as she walked down the steps.
“There is a legend that speaks of a magical well. In the olden days the bones of destroyed demons would be tossed inside, and mysteriously disappear….Some havesaid the well is a way to a different land. But it is very hard to travel to.”
Akari placed her hands on the rim of the well and peered over.
It was dark, but she could see the bottom.
“Akari?” John's voice came from right outside.
“Coming” Akari called over her shoulder.
She turned to go but a slight tug on her wrist stopped her. She looked down to see her bracelet had caught on a nail.
Akari froze.
The bracelet was get going-away gist from her father, and she didn't want to break it. Leaning against the wood she unclasped it so she could easily unhook it from the nail. But it slipped from her fingers.
“No!” Akari cried as the silver started to fall into the black. Without thinking Akari jerked downwards to catch it and lost her balance.
John, hearing Akari yell, came into the well house just as Akari fell in head first.
“Akari!”
He ran down the steps and to the side of the well. Looking in he expected to see her crumbled form lying at the bottom. But what he saw terrified him more.
She wasn't there.
 
Kagome grunted slightly as she pulled herself out of the well, “3 years and it's still not getting easier!”
She put her knee on the bored and pushed the rest of her body up; but leaned to far forward and started to fall.
But instead of landing on the hard ground, she hit a hard chest and pair and arms.
Kagome smiled before she even looked up.
“Hello InuYasha.”
 
A/N: Finally…she's down the well! Lol…I'm weird…
PLEASE REVIEW!