InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ HeartSong ❯ The Girl With Hair Like Fire ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
 
A/N: I'm sorry it's taken so long to update. (Three days…AGH!)
I was….thinking…lol…Seriously thought, I had this chapter all ready then I realized that I kinda messed up. So I spend a week trying to figure out how to fix it.
Problem: Akari is pretty much what I wanted her to be, but then I realized when she finally gets paired up with….her guy….her personality is too depressing. But I didn't want to change Akari too much because it defeats who she is.
So I finally got it
And it all happens because of a little girl named Sango.
Hope you like it.
 
Also, I gave Sango's mom and dad names because….it would just be too damn confusing.
Aimi is Sango's mom. Sho is Sango's dad. Got it? Okay on with the story.
 
CHAPTER EIGHT: THE GIRL WITH HAIR LIKE FIRE
 
Recap
Sango carefully pulled a picture out of the book and walked over to the fire; holding the picture close enough to the flames she could see it clearly, but not let it burn.
“Sango what is it? What's wrong?”
Sango turns back to her friends, “Kagome” she choked out, “I know her.”
>>>>
Kagome gasped at Sango, “What? Why didn't you tell me before?”
Sango sat down again, “I didn't realize. You have to understand Kagome, this was nearly 17 years ago; I was maybe 3 or 4. Besides I never knew her name.”
She laughed softly, “And I never asked for it. I don't really remember much; like I said I was just a small child. But….it was a dark and stormy night. My father and other villagers had left the week before to kill a demon in a village across the river. They were supposed to get back that day. When they finally arrived my father was carrying someone. It was a girl with red hair, like fire. I started to call her Hotaru.”
 
Night cast its dark shadows across a hidden village. Inside the tall walls a little girl was waiting impatiently at the front gates, pacing back and forth like an old man.
“Sango!”
The girl looked up to see a woman walking towards her a blanket wrapped around her shoulder, “You shouldn't be out here! It is too late for you.”
“But Momma” Sango protested, “Father hasn't come home yet.”
Aimi sighed deeply and took her daughter's hand, leading her away from the gate and towards their hut, “I know Sango. But don't worry. I'm sure he'll be back soon.”
Sango pouted, “He said he'd-”
“Open the gates! The slayers have returned!”
Sango squealed in delight and ran back to the front gate, despite her mother's protests.
“Father!” Sango cried as she saw him enter with the rest of the men. She started to run to him but stopped short when she saw he was holding a body in his arms.
Sho walked over and smiled wearily down her his daughter, “I would think you'd be in bed by now.”
Sango giggled and beamed, “No, I wanted too wait for you!”
Sho chuckled then started for their hut.
“Who's that?” Sango asked pointing to the body lying still in her father's arms.
“Let's go home first; I'm sure your mother has been worried.”
Sango ran ahead, loudly calling for her mother and joyous her father had returned safely.
Aimi was standing at the door and greeted Sho with a smile but frowned when she saw him carrying someone.
“Who got hurt?” Aimi asked as Sho laid his burden on the floor
Sho shook his head slightly and pulled back the blanket, “I don't know.”
Aimi immediately dropped to her knees to examine the girl's face.
Sango was entranced by her red hair, “What is she?” she whispered in awe.
Sho and Aimi laughed and Sho shook his head again, “I'm sure she's human Sango. That's why I brought her back here.”
Aimi brushed some hair away from the girl's face and looked up at her husband, “Where did she come from?”
“She appeared last night. We were camped at the edge of the forest that borders on the Western Lands. Most of us were just getting ready to go to sleep when Ikko grabbed my arm and pointed to the woods. We all looked and saw a small figure slowly making its way to us. Since it had come from the woods we were sure it was a demon of some sort. Imagine our surprise to see a girl step into the firelight, a tiny kitten wrapped in her arms. Oh that reminds me.”
He turned to his bag and carefully pulled out a small box covered in holes; he took off the lid and held it out so Sango could see inside, “She was holding this cat demon.”
Sango squealed in delight and tried to pick the small creature but Sho stopped her, “She's hurt Sango. That's why the girl came to our camp.”
He sat the box on the floor and kept close watch as Sango sat next to it.
“She looked exhausted and her clothes were torn. She asked for some help for the kitten, it had been injured in defending her. We were hesitant but agreed to help. I wanted to ask her about her village, and why she had come from the Western Lord's lands, but no sooner had Ikko taken the kitten from her arms then she collapsed. She hasn't woken up since.”
“Poor dear” Aimi murmured as she looked down at the girl again. She pulled back the blanket, “She does have strange attire; I haven't seen anything like this before.”
“She has pretty hair” Sango comment seriously, looking up from the cat demon.
Aimi smiled, “Yes, it is quite pretty, very different.”
“It's like fire. And she's pretty. Like the fireflies” Sango's eyes lit up, “I will call her Hotaru!”
Sho chuckled, “She's a person Sango. Not a lost pet you can just name. She already has a name.”
Sango shook her head, “Hotaru” she repeated.
“She's waking” Aimi nodded to the girl who had started to stir.
 
Akari could hear the voices before she saw who spoke them. She tried to make since of what they were saying, but it was just a bunch of garble. Where was she and who were the voices?
She tried to move her body and opened her eyes, almost hissing at the light, though it was not that bright.
“She's waking” she heard a man speak.
“Where am I?” she whispered, her eyes fluttering in trying to adjust.
“It's all right child. You are with friends.” This time it was a woman who spoke.
“How?”
The man answered her, “You wondered into my camp last night, asking for help.”
The Akari nodded slowly, everything suddenly coming back to her, “Yes, I remember now. Kirara was hurt.”
Her eyes snapped open and she tried to sit up, “Is she alright?”
The woman sitting at her side gently pushed her back down, “She's fine. She's asleep.” Aimi nodded to the floor.
“What is your name child?” The man standing on her other side asked.
“Akari” Akari almost winced at the sound of her voice. It was deep and scratchy.
“I am Sho” the man pointed to himself then the woman, “My wife Aimi, and our daughter Sango.” He pointed to the floor.
Akari's eyes flickered over to the little girl sitting on the floor, a small box held close to her side.
“Where's Kirara?”
“Right here!” Sango cried pointing to the box, “I'm taking good care of her.”
Akari let her head drop back and sighed deeply, “Good.”
Aimi stood, “I'll bring you some new clothes.”
Akari frowned, “What's wrong with the one's I have?”
“They are very dirty. I will wash them and return them right away. You needed worry.”
Aimi smiled then turned and left the room.
Sho gently took the book that held Kirara away from Sango and picked her up, “Time for bed little one.”
Sango pouted but didn't make a peeped as Sho took her out of the room.
“Goodnight Hotaru!” she called back.
Akari raised an eyebrow, “Hotaru?”
Moments later Sho came back and sat a few feet away, “Do you feel well enough to tell me your story?”
Akari sat back up, “What's there to tell?”
“If you are indeed human, you are either very brave or foolish.”
“And why's that?” Akari asked coolly.
“Do you now know from where you came? What forest you walked out of? Whose lands you were in?”
Akari shook her head, “I'm….not exactly from around her.”
“Where is your village?”
“I…”
Now how the hell was she going to explain this? She came out of a well God knows how many miles away and she doesn't even know what year it is?
Akari blew out her breath, “I'd rather not.”
“Why?”
“Because I don't trust adults!” Akari snapped.
Sho looked surprised but then nodded his head, “I see.”
He stood, “It is late and I must rise early. Goodnight Akari.”
He started to walk out but stopped at the doorway, “We only wish to help you. Perhaps you will learn to trust us. Not as adults, but as friends.”
Sho walked away before Akari could utter a word.
 
The next day Sho dressed in the clothes Aimi brought her, a long blue skirt and white shirt. (A/N: Like What Sango wears in the show, but different colors.)
She stepped outside and looked around.
“Ah, good morning Akari!”
Akari turned to see Sho walked towards her, “You are feeling better then?”
Akari nodded, “Yes. Thank you….for your help. Everything that's happened to me in the last few days has been a little over- whelming.”
Sho shook his head, “It was no problem.”
Sho then took her around the village and explained what they do. Akari found it all fascinating, until she asked when she could leave.
“Our village is hidden. We can't just let you leave.”
“I am a prisoner?”
“No. When a group leaves, I will have them escort you to your village.”
Akari sighed and walked away.
Now, nearly two weeks later, she was beginning if she was ever going to leave. She was staying with Sho and his family, and found herself growing quite attached to the little girl called Sango.
Stepping outside the house, Akari lifted a hand to block her eyes from the bright sun.
“Good morning to you Akari.”
Akari looked over to see Sho walking towards her, “Good morning Sho.”
“Are you not feeling well child?”
Akari half shrugged and looked away
Sho nodded, “I see. Perhaps you would like to tell me what bothers you and I will see what I can do to help.”
Not likely” Akari's mind hissed.
“I'm not so sure it would be a good idea.”
“And why is that?”
“Because if I told you what's happened, you'll think I'm a nut case.”
Sho held a hand out indicating to the yard, “Walk with me?”
Akari stepped off the porch and walked beside him.
“In this village, I have seen many things. We are demon slayers, and have seen things children shouldn't even have nightmares about. Sometimes it is the story that seems the least believable that holds the most truth.”
Akari sighed, “I just…” she stopped suddenly and turned to Sho, “What would you say if I told you I came from another time. One where there are no demons, and hardly any war. People can work out a problem without taking swords to each other.”
Sho placed a hand on her shoulder and looked deeply into her eyes, “I would say. You are a very lucky girl.”
He smiled, let his hand drop and walked away.
“That went well” Akari murmured.
“Hotaru!” Akari turned and smiled slightly, “Hey Sango.”
The little girl held Kirara tightly in her arms, “Kirara is better now. Are you happy?”
Akari laughed softly, “Yes. I am very glad.”
“Will you pick flowers with me?”
Akari didn't even get an answer out before Sango grabbed her hand and pulled her to the far wall.
Sango settled in the middle of the blossoms and began to pick the flowers while Akari sat casually next to the wall and leaned her back against it.
“Hey Sango?”
“Yes?”
“Why do you call me Hotaru?”
Sango giggled and looked over at her, “Because you have hair like fire.” She blushed, “And I think you are very beautiful. Like fireflies.”
Akari laughed softly and leaned her head against the wall. Closing her eyes she reflected on how she felt. She was almost surprised to hear herself tell Sho she wasn't from that time. The whole time she had been there almost every conversation had turned to where she had come from. And every time Akari would just walk away.
Maybe it was because of what Sango said.” Akari's eyes flickered over to the younger girl. Three days ago Sango approached Akari with a strange question.
“Why don't you talk to my mommy?”
Akari shrugged her shoulders, not bothering to look down from her perch in the tree, “I dunno. Just don't have anything to talk about I guess.”
“But you don't talk to any of the mommies.”
Akari sighed, “I….don't like mothersSango.”
“Why?”
“Because my mom didn't treat me very well.”
“So you hate my mommy too?”
Akari looked down, surprised to see Sango staring intently up at her.
“Uh…no. I don't hate her. I just don't trust her.”
“You should” Sango said simply, “She's a good mommy.”
Half a smile brushed across Akari's lips, “I bet she is.”
“Just because one person was bad, doesn't mean everyone is.” She held up Kirara, “My family kills demons, because they hurt people. But Kirara is a demon and we don't want to kill her. Because she is good.”
Akari raised an eyebrow but said nothing. Sango grinned up at her then ran off talking to Kirara.
Sango's right. Not ever mother, or woman is going to be like Julie.”
Akari smiled and crawled over to Sango. “Gottcha!” she cried as she grabbed Sango and started to tickle her. Sango starting screaming with laughter and soon Akari was laughing almost as hard.
Sho and Aimi came running when they heard Sango scream, but then they saw the two girls playing they smiled, “That child is carrying a very ugly scar” Aimi murmured.
Sho nodded, “Yes. But I think our Sango is the perfect remedy.”
 
Akari was in the room Sho and Aimi had provided for her, wrapping her normal clothes in a pack Sho had given her when Sango came bursting in crying up a storm.
“Don't leave Hotaru! I want you to stay here!” she sobbed.
Akari had been living in the demon slayer's village for a month now, and become very close to Sango. As Akari knelt down to the girl and held her closely she knew she had changed greatly. Her old self would have tired to assure the child, while looking for her parent to take her away. She would not have dropped to her knees, embracing the child; her own heart hurting.
“Come and help me carry my bag” Akari said softly as she stood again. Sango sniffed and took hold of part of the bag. The two of them carried it between them out the door and to the gate. Sho and several other villages stood ready, the gates open.
“I don't want you to go” Sango whispered.
Akari looked over at the small kitten sitting on her shoulder, the kitten nodded her head once; as if knowing Akari's unasked question. Akari took Kirara into her arms and looked down at Sango.
“You know what” Akari knelt down so she was eye level with Sango, “I want you to keep Kirara.”
Sango's eyes brightened through her tears, “Really?” she whispered.
“Yes. My father gave me a little kitten when I was just a bit older then you. She was my best friend.”
Akari placed Kirara in the little girl's arms, “Besides, I think Kirara will be a big help to you. Especially when you become a great demon slayer. I think she'll even save your life, and you hers.”
Sango grinned, “Oh thank you Hotaru!”
Akari stood and placed a hand on Sango's head, “Be a good girl Sango. If I can I will see you again.”
Sango hugged her leg tightly then stepped back, “I hope so.”
Akari turned to Sho, “I'm ready.”
Sho nodded, said goodbye to his wife and daughter, then led the way out. They were halfway down the pathway when Akari heard Sango's voice. Looking back she saw the little girl standing just outside the gate waving frantically. “Goodbye Hotaru! I will miss you!”
Akari surprised herself by smiling and waving back, “Guess that kid had more of an effect on me then I thought.”
“Goodbye Sango” she called, “I will miss you as well!”
Sango jumped around and waved Kirara's paw with her own.
“You have great things heading your way” Akari murmured, “I hope you will cherish every moment.”
She turned back and hurried after the demon slayer's “Goodbye Sango.”
 
The group traveled quickly through the forest. Sho walked with Akari telling her what she needed to know to get back to the forest with the well. He also warned her to stay away from the Western Lands.
“I don't know how you survived in there before Akari, but it would not be wise to test your luck twice.”
“What is in there?”
“The Western Lands belong to the Great Dog Demon, Lord Sesshomaru.”
Sesshomaru?” Akari wondered, “Isn't that the name of the man who saved me before?”
“He is a powerful demon. And he does not take kindly to humans. His brother is half-human and he had tried to kill him. His own brother.”
“Great, more dysfunctional families” Akari muttered.
Sho chuckled, “Just stay clear, understand? Only Kami knows where Sesshomaru did not kill you before for being on his lands. He is merciless and cruel.”
Akari nodded, “I understand.”
“And chance you do meet him, do not be fooled by his appearance. He has the look of a God.”
Akari nodded again but stayed silent. She did not tell Sho she had already met Sesshomaru. And that he had left her alone.
Sho changed subjects and told Akari the best way for her to travel when she was on her own.
Soon the group came to a fork in the road and Akari bid them all goodbye. Sho wished to take her the rest of the way but Akari refused.
“You've helped me enough. Thank you for everything.”
Sho and the rest of the slayers said goodbye and continued down the left road. Akari turned and started to go down the right side.
 
Kagome held tightly to InuYasha's back as he leaped through the sky. Miroku, Shippo and Sango were riding Kirara just in front of them. They were all returning to Sango's old village. After Sango had told Kagome everything she could remember Kagome insisted that they leave right then and go to the village. Shippo came racing into the camp and Miroku snatched him up as InuYasha also came roaring in. After a few brutal curses and sits InuYasha retreated to a tree till the group was ready to go.
Kagome smiled when she heard Shippo's chatter float back to her; he was still hyper.
Kagome's smile turned to a grimace when she also heard a smart slap and Sango's angry voice.
“PERVERT!”
InuYasha growled softly and shook his head, “Stupid monk. Sometimes I wonder why he started that.”
Kagome smiled and nodded her head, “Yeah. No kidding.”
“There it is!” Shippo yelled excitedly.
The group landed just outside the walls and everyone walked in. Sango's face saddened as she walked through the courtyard and looked around at the abandoned village.
“Do you remember anything else?” Kagome came up and stood next to her friend.
Sango shook her head, “Not really. There's nothing special that happened here with Hotaru.”
She paused and her eyes brightened slightly, “Except.”
Sango looked around then walked over to the front gate. Once outside she ran around to the other side of the wall and stopped at a tree. Everyone else quickly appeared next to her.
“I remember coming out here.”
She brushed at the trunk of the tree and smiled, “Hotaru did that.”
Sango pointed to the markings in the tree, “She put the letters of our names, because we were friends. And she gave me…..something.”
She walked over to the other side of the tree, her fingers trailing over the bark. She stopped when her hand past over a small hole. “Here. I hide it, because I didn't want it to get lost.”
She dug into the hole and pulled out a silver charm.
Kagome gasped softly and Miroku's eyes widened.
“It was from a bracelet she always wore.”
Kagome took the charm and nodded her head slowly, “I remember Hana telling me about that. It was a gift from he father when she moved to Japan.”
Kagome smiled up at Sango, “Mom said I gave her one too. A little heart shaped charm.”
Kagome handed the charm back and Sango held it up. “She said this circle, was like us. We will always meet.”
InuYasha grunted, “That's stupid.”
“InuYasha si-”
InuYasha crashed to the ground before Kagome could finish. “Huh?
Miroku lift his staff from InuYasha's head and walked away without another word.
Sango and Kagome exchanged glances, “What was that about?”
 
A/N:….yet another chapter I pulled outta no where…this hadn't been part of my original plan, but I decided I liked the idea and wanted to put it in. So I'm curious to know if anyone has figured out who Akari gets paired up with. Take a guess. :D
PLEASE REVIEW!