InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ HeartSong ❯ Not A Dream ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
 
CHAPTER SEVEN: NOT A DREAM
 
Akari's eyes flew open and she shot up with a gasp. Immediately the room began to spin and she put a hand to her forehead, “What happened?”
She looked around, “How did I get in this cave? I was…” she struggled to her feet and winced as her body screamed at her.
“I fell in the river.”
She scoffed, “I seem to be falling in everything today.”
She reached down and gentle touched her hip, her jeans were torn and she could see a little blood.
“Damn it. I like this pair.”
She sighed and shook her head, “I was hoping this was just a dream…a nightmare…anything but real.”
She looked at her watched and was shocked to see it was still working.
“Holy…it's been three days?”
She ran a hand through her hair, “I was really out.”
A low growl made her turn around quickly, and her heart jumped.
“Oh…crap….”
A large cat stood at the entrance of the cave. It had light yellow fur with black at its feet and tails. But it was the teeth Akari was worried about. Long, sharp teeth that seems to glow in the moonlight.
Akari straightened, “God, what is it with you crazy-ass demons? Somebody really needs to talk to you about your eating habits!”
The cat took a step forward and Akari jumped back, grimacing as pain shot through her hip.
“Back off you furry rodent!”
The cat stopped and tilted its head. Suddenly its body was engulfed flames and Akari leaped back with a yell.
When the flames disappeared she gasped. Now standing at the entrance was a tiny little kitten.
“That was cool” Akari muttered as she walked over, “So I take it you don't want to eat me?”
The kitten meowed and leaped into Akari's arms.
“I'll take that as a yes. Did you pull me out of the river too?”
The kitten purred and rubbed its head against Akari's shoulder, who winced in return. “Careful, that hurts.”
She stepped outside and looked around. “I have no idea where I am.”
She held the kitten at arms length, “I'm just going to say that you can understand me and ask. Do you know the way back to the river?”
The kitten meowed and leaped from her arms. Flames appeared once more and she began a larger cat.
“You know” Akari started as she claimed onto the cat's back, “I need to give you a name. It'll be better then just calling you “cat” or “demon-thingy”
The cat growled lightly.
“You agree then…hmm…what about-holy!”
Akari fell forward and grabbed handfuls of the cat's fur as she suddenly leaped into the air.
Akari looked over the sighed and laughed softly, “You rescue people from raging waters, go from Godzilla cat to harmless kitten, and now you fly. Is there anything you can't do?”
Akari leaned forward and laid her head on the large cat's back. “You know, you remind me….”
“Here you go kid. She's all yours.”
Akari squealed in delight as she took the tiny kitten from her father's hands, “Oh thank you daddy!”
“Take good care of her, you hear?”
Akari smiled brightly, “Oh I will. I promise!”
Davis came in, covered in mud and grass stains.
“Hi Davis!” Akari cried and ran up to her brother, “Look what daddy got me?”
Davis grinned and messed with her hair, “She's cute Kari, what's her name?”
Akari sat down to think and Ryan greeted his son, “How was practice?”
“Good. Couch thinks we're ready for this Saturday.”
“Good for you.”
“Kirara!”
Ryan and Davis looked down, “What?”
“I'm going to call her Kirara!”
Davis started to laugh but Ryan just knelt down to his daughter's 5 year old level.
“I think that's a great name.”
Akari gently stroked the cat's back, “I'm going to call you Kirara.”
The cat purred softly and flew on.
 
Finally Kirara landed at the bank of a river and Akari slid off. “Wow, I sure came a ways down here. I wonder how far I am from that forest.”
Kirara transformed to her kitten formed and meowed.
“Well I'm going to wash up. You'd think I got enough water to last a life time, but I still feel dirty.”
She sat at down in the sand and pulled her shoes and socks off; though it had been a couple days they were still wet. Dipping her feet into the river, Akari winced at the cold. “What I wouldn't give for a hot bath right now.”
Kirara curled up at her side and closed her eyes.
Akari smiled at her before lying back, keeping her feet in the water.
This has been one bazaar day. I keep waited to wake up. And forget this dream
She sighed and turned to head to watch Kirara sleep. “But it's not a dream. It's real.”
“Grandpa must be so worried about me” she spoke aloud and Kirara's ear's twitched.
Why should you care?” her mind snapped back, “You don't need anyone, nor should you care about anyone.”
Why not?”
No one did that for you.”
No, that was my mother. Everyone else-”
Everyone abandoned you. Left you with her.”
Akari shook her head and shut her eyes tightly, “I feel like I'm at war with myselftwo parts of my soul.”
She sighed as she sat up and looked at her reflection in the river; her eyes betraying her inner turmoil.
A branch snapped in the forest and Kirara was on her feet in an instant, already transformed.
Akari stood up beside her and placed a hand on her shoulder, “What is it Kirara?”
Kirara growled, low and menacing, as she stared at the dark woods. Suddenly a large bird burst into the clearing, screeching so loud Akari dropped to her knees and covered her ears. Even Kirara had her head bent and was whining in pain.
Faster then lightning the bird attacked Kirara and sent her flying into the water, a large bloody gash in her side.
“Kirara!”
Akari jumped up to go to her but was immediately brought to her knees again, her ears ringing. The bird took a threatening step towards the girl, its wings spread, blocking out the sun.
Please….somebodyhelp. 221;
Akari let one hand drop to the ground and scramble for a stone, stick, anything. The bird screeched again and this time Akari screamed back at it. The bird took a step back in surprise but quickly advanced again. Suddenly Kirara pounced on it with a roar, tearing at its backside with her sharp claws and fangs. The bird hissed and took to the sky, while trying to throw Kirara from her back. Akari tried to steady her breathing and yelled to the sky, “What do you have against me! Let me wake up or give me something better!”
The bird suddenly dove into the trees and Akari gasped as she heard a sickening crunch.
“KIRARA!”
She started to run to the forest but skidding to a stop when the bird came out.
“Do I have some sign that says `free meal'?! Leave me alone!”
The bird opened its beak and Akari threw her rock, right into its throat.
“God! You're worse then my mom's cockatoo!”
She bolted around the bird and ran into the forest, calling for Kirara.
She could hear the bird thrashing around, following her.
Dumb bird. Isn't it enough I fell down a well, ended up in a strange world, got attack and carried away by the river? Noooo. We just have to add flame kitty and gonzo bird.”
A soft rumble made Akari roll her eyes, “And I'm freaking hungry!” she yelled to the sky.
A small meow brought Akari to a stop and she looked around, “Kirara? Where are you?”
She dropped to her knees and crawled through the bushes till she came upon the tiny kitten, who was a bloody mess.
“Oh Kirara, you dumb cat. You could've been killed.”
She carefully picked the kitten up and held her in her arms, “Next time….no sleeping out in the open. Agreed?”
Kirara meowed softly and pitifully.
Akari stood, turned around and went ridged. Standing 10 feet in front of her was the bird, but when it opened its mouth to screech, all that came out was a strange gurgling sound.
Akari choked, “HA! What's the matter, rock stuck in your throat?”
The bird took a giant step forward, making the ground shake and Akari fell to her knees again.
“I don't suppose you like to eat greens?”
The bird dove at the girl and she started to scramble backwards, one arm still holding Kirara; the bird's beak it the dirt, leaving a large hole.
“I'll take that as a no.”
Akari breathed deeply to try and steady her pounding heart as the bird lifted its head again.
Suddenly a strong arm pulled Akari out of the way and threw her against the base of a tree. She looked up just in time to see a flash of silver and giant bird body falling beside her. She looked down and saw its head was partly severed.
Akari shuttered then looked up and gasped.
Standing at the edge of the clearing was the most stunning person she had ever seen.
He was tall, and slim, wearing a white kimono and chest armor. A sword hung at his side and he had long sliver hair. What had made Akari gasp was his face. Still and cold, with jagged lines that ran over his cheeks. He had sleek pointed ears that were partly hidden by his hair. But it was his eyes that brought Akari to her feet. They were deep, golden and cold.
He looks likemy drawingmaybe this is a dream.”
“Thank you” Akari finally found her voice and made her way over to the man. “You saved my life.”
The man took his focus off the dead bird and turned to her towards her, sending shivers down her back.
“It was not for you” he said in a low voice, “That demon was trespassing on my lands. I could not let it live.”
Akari frowned at his cold voice but slightly bowed her head again, “Well thanks anyways.”
The man regarded her a moment before replying coolly, “You are a foolish human. What are you doing wondering in the Western Lands?”
Akari frowned slightly, “I didn't know where I was.”
“You are lost?”
“I'm pretty sure that's what it's called when a person doesn't know where they are.”
Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed, “You dare be flippant with this Sesshomaru?”
Akari rolled her eyes, “I guess I do.
The man watched her for a moment then turned and started to walk away.
“Wait!” Akari cried.
He stopped.
“I need…help. My cat's been hurt.”
“And what concern is it of mine?”
Akari glared, “Look your royal jerk-ness. She's bleeding and-”
“There is a camp of humans at the end of the forest, you will find help there.”
He started walking again and disappeared into the woods.
“Agh!” Akari yelled after him.
She sighed and looked down at the kitten cradled in her arms, “Don't worry Kirara. I'll find that village.”
She around and started walking to the opposite direction the man had gone, “At least he saved us, wither he wanted to or not.”
 
 
Kagome sighed deeply and closed her eyes. It had been two weeks since she had come to the Feudal Era with new information on Akari. But after day two, she had hit a dead end. Now sitting at the riverbank, part of her wondered if Akari had died in the river. But her other half refused to give up, something was telling her Akari had made it, she was too strong to just have drowned.
Kagome rolled to her side in the grass and glanced up at the tree branch that hung over her head. InuYasha was sitting with his back against the truck, one knee bend up to his chest and the other leg hanging down casually. His eyes were closed but she knew he wasn't sleeping; his ears were still twitches every which way. Kagome sighed again as she sat up.
“InuYasha”
“Yeah?”
“Maybe I'm going about this all wrong.”
InuYasha lazily opened one golden eye and looked down at her, “What do you mean?”
Kagome got to her feet and stood right under him, leaning her back against the trunk and crossing her arms.
“We've been looking for Akari in the villages, but since she fell in the river…maybe she went farther downstream then we thought.”
“Kagome, she couldn't have survived in that water. It's rough.”
“I've swum in that water before, remember? I can swim, and I bet you Akari could to.”
InuYasha lifted his head and looked at her curiously, “What are you saying wench?”
Kagome glared at the word but continued on, “I'm saying we didn't look far enough. We went to all the villages with in 10 miles, right? But that was on this side of the river, what if she made it to the other side?”
“That would put her dangerously close to Sesshomaru's land.”
Kagome nodded, “That's true, but we never looked over there.”
“That's because it's close to Sesshomaru's land!” InuYasha barked.
Kagome looked up to him and put her hands on her hips, “I heard you the first time!” she snapped, “But I don't care. We have to find what happened to her.”
InuYasha rolled his eyes, “Whatever.”
“I wonder…” Kagome said softly, “What if Akari had been the one to wake you up?”
“She couldn't. Only you or Kikyo could have let me down from that tree.”
He looked at her suspiciously, “Why?”
Kagome shrugged, “I was just wondering what word she would have picked for you.”
InuYasha scowled and looked away, “Keh.”
Kagome started towards the village, “I'm going to tell Sango and Miroku.”
“Tell them what?” InuYasha shouted after her.
“About where we're going.”
InuYasha leaped to his feet and made the branch shutter, “Wait a minute. I never agreed to go.”
“Fine. Then you can stay here!”
“You're not going anywhere without me!”
“You're impossible!” Kagome shouted back.
“Whatever wench.”
“InuYasha sit!”
Kagome turned on her heels and stormed back to the village as InuYasha lifted his head from the grass.
“Stupid wench” he muttered before jumping to his feet and running after her.
 
Sango eagerly agreed when Kagome told her the plan. Shippo and Miroku just turned and started to pack while InuYasha and Kagome started to fight again.
By the time they were all ready to go, InuYasha was peeling himself off the ground and muttering soft curses.
 
They were in the middle of the forest when night came. Miroku cheerfully suggested that they keep moving, and maybe they'd find a nice village. He knew of one that had wonderful springs nearby. He soon trailed off when Sango leveled him with a glare that could have frozen moving lava.
Shippo muttered about what idiots both InuYasha and Miroku were and received a smart smack from InuYasha.
Sango and Kagome sat side by side and stared into the fire, the flames lighting up their faces as they whispered and laughed together.
Miroku leaned over to InuYasha, “What do you think they're talking about?”
InuYasha grunted, “Don't care.”
Miroku chuckled and turned to Shippo, but the little fox was no where in sight.
“Kagome” Miroku stood, “Where did Shippo go?”
Kagome looked up, “What?”
“Did you send him off somewhere?”
Kagome and Sango got to their feet as well, “No I didn't.”
InuYasha scoffed, “Oh he'll be alright. He is a demon after all, doesn't need the three of you fussing after him like a baby. He'll be back.”
Kagome put her ands on her hips, “Demon or not, he's still a child and somebody needs to look after him!”
InuYasha opened him mouth to retort but was cut off by a flash of red and dirt and suddenly Shippo was sitting next to him, grinning like crazy.
“Shippo!” Kagome cried, “Where'd you go?”
“IgotsomeofthecandyyoubroughtwithyouKagomeIt'sreallygoodBut nowIfeelikeIcan'tstaystillIt'scool!”
Everyone blinked trying to figure out what he said but Kagome just groaned and covered her face with her hands, “Oh Shippo you didn't!”
She ran to her backpack and dug through it. Finally she groaned again and pulled out a plastic bag, “You ate it all?”
Shippo started to squirm, “Wellitwasformewasn't?”
“Yes! But not all at once!” Kagome cried.
She shook the bag in his face, “Shippo! That was five pounds of candy! Five pounds of sugar!”
Shippo's eyes widened, “Isthatbad?” he whispered, as he continued to fidget.
“Yeah, it's called a sugar rush! You are going to be so sick in the morning!”
Kagome threw up her hands and walked away.
“I'll just go and run some more, that'll make the sugar go away.”
“No you won't!”
Shippo got to his feet but quickly sat back down again when Kagome snapped.
“So what are we going to do?” Miroku finally said. He and Sango had been watching the whole scene with amusement and were now trying to hide their grins.
“We try to get some sleep” Kagome said wearily.
Everyone settled into their sleeping bags and InuYasha leaped up to a tree to keep watch. But all through the night Shippo kept twitching and squirming. Kagome finally sat up and glared at him, “Shippo!” Kagome snapped, “Will you please sit still!”
“Agh!”
The rest of the group sat up when they heard InuYasha yell. Moments later he came stalking up to the clearing and scowled at Kagome, “What the hell was that for wench!”
Kagome paled slightly, “Oh I'm sorry InuYasha. I didn't mean to!”
“Keh!”
He sat down across from her and stared into the fire. Shippo whimpered from his spot and scooted farther away from the agitated half-demon.
Miroku sighed and rubbed his hands over his face, “Kagome” he whispered, “Why don't you let Shippo have his run.”
“He could get hurt out there; I don't want him by himself.”
“But none of us could keep up with him” Miroku pointed out.
“Kirara could” Sango slid over to join the conversation.
Miroku nodded, “Yes, Kirara and…..”
They all turned and looked at InuYasha who was still staring at the fire.
Kagome giggled, “He wouldn't.”
Miroku grinned, “He will.”
He turned and called Shippo over to him. He quietly explained what they had decided and Shippo grinned from ear to ear, “Great!”
Miroku cuffed him on the back of the head, “There's a reason we're whispering!”
Shippo ducked his head, “Great!” he whispered.
Shippo retreated back to his spot and the three humans sat back and waited. Finally Shippo leaped up and ran over to InuYasha. InuYasha growled but said nothing.
“HEY INUYASHA!” he screamed right in InuYasha's ear.
InuYasha fell over and rubbed his ear, “Damn it runt! What the hell are you doing!”
“HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!” Shippo laughed hysterically and transformed himself into an image of InuYasha, “My name's InuYasha, I think I'm a mighty dog demon. But I'm really a big wimp!”
InuYasha snarled and lunged forward, “Why you little-”
Shippo took off running, still in the form of InuYasha, calling back taunts as the hanyou yelled and chased him through the forest.
Kagome and Sango exchanged glances before bursting into laughter; Miroku was already holding his sides, a huge smile of his face.
“That's was great. Did you see InuYasha's face?”
Kagome giggled and shook her head, “I just hope he doesn't hurt Shippo.”
Sango placed a hand on her shoulder, “Don't worry Kagome. They'll be back long before Shippo runs out of energy.”
Kagome stood and placed some more logs on the fire, “Well, since we're up we might as well keep the fire going.”
After the flames were high again Kagome crawled back into her sleeping back, shivering slightly.
“Hey Kagome, what did Akari look like?”
Kagome looked up form the fire to Sango, “Oh…I have some pictures!”
She reached over to her backpack and pulled out a little book.
“I got these pictures from my mom. She said she was more then happy to give them to me if it helped find out what happened to Akari.”
She handed the book to Sango who looked through it slowly. Suddenly she stopped and stared intently at the picture. Miroku, who had been talking to Kagome about how the pictures were made, saw Sango's paled face and frowned, “Sango? Are you alright?”
Sango carefully pulled a picture out of the book and walked over to the fire; holding the picture close enough to the flames she could see it clearly, but not let it burn.
“Sango what is it? What's wrong?”
Sango turns back to her friends, “Kagome” she choked out, “I know her.”
 
A/N:….lol….I'm having a hard timer getting this out. Problem is I know how I want to end it, and some other parts that go before that, but getting to that is getting annoying…heh heh…
PLEASE REVIEW!
.