InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ HeartSong ❯ Friends ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
 
CHAPTER ELEVEN: FRIENDS
 
Three weeks have past since Sesshomaru brought Akari back to his castle. He showed her to the library, and then disappeared. She saw him once in a while, but only few words were spoken then he was gone. The only living being she saw everyday was the annoying little green toad-like demon Sesshomaru introduced as Jaken. Jaken dislikes humans. Akari dislikes creepy toads. They got along great.
“What about this one Jaken?” Akari called out and let a book drop. Jaken let out a yelp and rushed forward to catch the book before it hit the floor, “You stupid girl! You could have destroyed it!”
Akari laughed, “Whatever Jaken. It's not that far.”
“You're at the top!”
Akari smirked and slowly came down the latter, grabbing the books she had set out along the way. Sesshomaru's library was impressive; the room was filled with books, wall to wall, floor to ceiling.
Akari knew Jaken would get to the book before it hit the ground, that's why she let it drop. But it freaked the little demon out, and she enjoyed that.
“No, no, no, no. You stupid human!” Jaken muttered as he went from book to book looking at what Akari had picked out. “None of these will do!”
“How the hell am I supposed to know?” Akari snapped. “Most of the books of in some freaked out language that I can't read.”
“Don't blame your human stupidity on me” Jaken quipped.
“Why you-” Akari reached over and snatched his staff. Whacking him over the head with it she snarled, “Stupid toad!””
“Stupid human!”
“Any progress?”
Akari spun around, shoving the staff back in Jaken's hands so fast he toppled over.
“Hey Sesshomaru, long time no see.”
Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow and Akari shook her head, “Never mind.”
“My lord!” Jaken hobbled over to Sesshomaru, “We have yet to find a spell that will cast-I mean send this girl home.”
Akari glared, “Mean little toad.” She then shrugged, “Yeah….it'd be a lot easier if everything wasn't in a different language.”
Sesshomaru walked over and glanced over the book Akari had just put on the table, “Why are you-”
He shot Jaken a dark you, “Jaken” he said in a low voice and his eyes glittered dangerously.
Jaken trembled, “Ay my lord?”
Moments later Jaken was tossed out into the hallway and the library door slammed.
Akari tilted her head, “What was that for? Not that I'm complaining” she added.
Sesshomaru growled and swept a hand over the room, “Jaken is a fool.”
“Yes, we already established this.”
Sesshomaru picked up a book and held it right in front of Akari's face, “This book….is about the battle my father found in against the North.”
Akari shrugged, “Jaken said it wasn't-”
“Jaken can't read this language!”
Akari blinked, “What?”
“This is not common, nor is it spoke any more. And only those of high birth can read it. Jaken can decipher a few words but no more then that!” he indicated to the corner of the library Akari had gotten the books, “You have been spending the last few weeks there?”
Akari nodded.
Sesshomaru pointed to the opposite corner, “Spells are in that corner.”
Akari's eyes flashed and she walked over to the door; calming pulling it open she took a deep breath.
“JAKEN, YOU STUPID LITTLE TOAD! YOU ARE SO DEAD WHEN I GET MY HANDS ON YOU!”
Jaken peeked around the corner and Akari shook a fist at him, “That staff of yours is going to be stuck so far up your ass; the fire will come out your mouth!”
Jaken frowned, “As if you could worthless dirt scum!”
Akari ran after him, “COME HERE YOU COWARD!”
Jaken yelped and took off running as fast as his little legs would take him. He only got away because Sesshomaru suddenly appeared in front of Akari and placed a hand on her arm, “Don't be so childish. You have work to do.”
Akari growled and pulled her arm away. But turned and headed back to the library anyways.
Night fell and Akari dropped to the floor in exhaustion. Stretching she looked around and suppressed a moan. The spell books were in Japanese so it was easy for her to read. The hard part was knowing what she was looking for. Sesshomaru had disappeared again and Jaken had yet to show his face.
The door opened and Akari lazily turned to see who is was. She was only mildly surprised to see Sesshomaru enter and close the door again.
“Found anything?”
Akari groaned and covered her face with her hands while shaking her head back and forth.
Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow as he looked around the room, “But apparently you have found a book on everything else.”
Books were scattered from one end of the room to the other; it was chaos.
“This really bites” Akari muttered as she got to her feet.
She walked over to Sesshomaru and sighed, “I hate this room now” she stated.
Sesshomaru smirked, “Oh?”
“Yes.”
“I see.”
Akari pointed to the books, “All they talk about is cursing people, or weird healing remedies. Nothing about old wells, time traveling. Whatever.”
Sesshomaru walked over and looked through the books Akari had laying open. He then walked over to the bookshelves and quickly pulled another book out.
“Look through this one.”
Akari grumbled but took the book anyways and sat next to the window. Kept looking through the books but kept one eyes trained on the girl. Finally Akari snapped the book shut, “No more! I don't care what you say; I am going to take a walk in the garden, before I explode.”
Sesshomaru walked with her to the door and took the book from her hand, “If you put it off, the longer you will be here.”
Akari glared, “Don't worry Sesshy” she said sweetly, “I'll get out of your hair soon enough. But if I don't leave this room right now. The books are going to die.”
Akari brushed past him, and opened the door. Slipping out into the hallway she slowly made her way to the outside gardens. The moonlight shown down on the flowers, giving them a stunning glow. Akari smiled as her fingers brushed over the petals.
I wonder how long I'll be stuck here.”
 
 
“SIT!”
Sango and Miroku exchanged glances.
“What the hell are-”
“SIT!”
Shippo leaped up to Sango's shoulder and shook his head, “InuYasha sure doesn't know when to shut up.”
Both humans nodded in agreement.
“Stupid wench!”
“SIT!”
The morning started out bad, and just proceeded to roll downhill. Kagome had returned from her world a few days late and InuYasha was furious. Then Kagome realized she hadn't brought enough ramen, after Shippo had eating half the bowl she gave him. But when Kagome offered to go back InuYasha wouldn't let her. That led to a fight and InuYasha eating dirt. Then to make matters worse Kouga decided to show up. He knew full well Kagome had chosen InuYasha and they were together; but he couldn't resist seeing InuYasha reaction when he talked to Kagome.
“You know this time he really does deserve it” Sango commented as she watched InuYasha make a new crater.
“Very true” Miroku said with a sigh.
After Kouga had left, and InuYasha picked himself out of the ground; he made the mistake of turning his anger onto Kagome. Accusing her of flirting with Kouga and liking his attention.
Kagome was so surprised she didn't say anything for several minutes while InuYasha continued his rant. But when she did respond, it was with one word.
“SIT! SIT! SIT! SIT! SIT! SIT! SIT!”
Kagome stormed away from the now buried and slightly smoking InuYasha.
“Kago-”
Kagome held up a hand silencing Sango as she walked past them. Shippo leaped from Sango's shoulder to Kagome's but was caught in mid air by Miroku who just shook his head at the kit's protest.
Kagome walked into Kaede's hurt then emerge minutes later with her backpack. She gave her friends a swift nod and a smile then walked towards the well.
Sango, Miroku and Shippo turned and stared at InuYasha's body till he finally pulled his body out.
He pushed himself to his feet and glared, “What?” he snapped.
Sango just shook her head and walked away, Shippo back on her shoulder, “You're an idiot InuYasha!” he called back.
InuYasha started towards him, “Why you-”
“InuYasha” Miroku said calmly.
InuYasha stopped, “What?”
“Don't”
“Don't what?” InuYasha snarled.
“You need to calm down before you do something stupid” he glanced at InuYasha's indent, “Again.”
InuYasha snorted, “Whatever.”
He leaped up into a tree and stared out into the sky, one leg hanging down and arms crossed.
Miroku sighed and walked over to stand under the tree, “InuYasha”
“What now?”
Miroku just shook his head and turned to go, “I'll never understand why” he muttered.
In a flash InuYasha was in front of him, eyes glowing angrily, “Understand what monk?” he hissed.
“How someone as sweet and caring as Kagome could've fallen in love with a self moron like you!” Miroku yelled.
InuYasha took a step back, “What the hell do you mean by that?”
Miroku shook his head, “You really are stupid InuYasha! How can you stand there, even thinking Kagome could have feelings for Kouga? She has proven to you time and time again she loves you!”
“Then what the hell is she sitting me for?”
“Do you think that it's because she's trying to protect you?” Kaede appeared behind them.
“Feh” InuYasha grumbled, “I don't need protection for that wimpy wolf.”
“Perhaps not, but another point is Kouga is a friend; like Shippo or Sango. She is doing what she can to look out for him.”
InuYasha growled.
“It is not out of love for him she does it InuYasha. It is out of friendship.”
Kaede shook her head and started back for the village, “Though I have seen him treat her nicer then you.”
InuYasha snarled, “Shut up old hag!”
Miroku pushed past InuYasha to follow Kaede, “Don't get angry InuYasha, just because you know we're right.
“Keh.”
InuYasha turned and jumped back into the tree; one leg hanging down and arms crossed. But this time he's focus was on the forest.
 
Akari sighed deeply and laid her head back against the tree behind her. She was in her favorite spot on the castle grounds. A beautiful pink blossomed tree that gave her shelter from the sun.
Four months. That's how long she had been at Sesshomaru's castle. She had gone through every book Sesshomaru had shown her, but found nothing. It was disappointing, but in truth she was enjoying her stay at the castle.
Jaken was a nuisance, but she liked bugging him. And Sesshomaru…things had changed.
He began searching through the books with her, though nearly everyday ended in an argument and Sesshomaru threatening to kill her. But within the past two months they started having normal conversation that didn't end in death threats. Every night they would walk through the gardens together. Normally in silence but once in a while a question was asked and answered. Akari got to her feet and stretched, grabbing her book and headed inside. On her way to the study where she knew Sesshomaru was working, she starting thinking about why everything had changed. She looked out the window at the setting sun and smiled. It was because of a question.
“Why don't you use that sword?”
Sesshomaru looked up from his desk to see Akari pointing to a sword lying on a table.
“What do you mean?”
“Well whenever you saved me, you always used your claws. Never this sword.”
Sesshomaru stood and set his pen down, “It would have done no good. That is a sword of healing, not death.”
“Are you serious?”
“Why would this Sesshomaru lie?”
Akari picked up the sword, “How does it work?” she asked turning to Sesshomaru.
He sighed and walked over to her. “When a person dies, the pallbearers come to take the soul away. If Tensaiga wills it, I can see them.Once I strike the pallbearers, the person's soul is returned and they are brought back to life.”
Akari raised her eyebrows in doubt, “Oh?”
Sesshomaru smirked slightly, “You do not believe me?”
Akari looked up, a smile tugging at her lips, “Of course I do. Why would you lie?”
Akari walked into Sesshomaru's study and loudly announced, “Time's up!”
Sesshomaru lifted his head and glared, “What are you doing?”
Akari shrugged, “Come on. It's time for some fresh air.”
Sesshomaru shook his head but stood anyways, “You are a strange creature.”
Akari smirked, “I know. But I intrigue you, remember?”
Sesshomaru growled slightly but walked beside her out to the gardens.
They walked in silence; only the faint sound of crickets chirping could be heard in the still night.
Finally Akari glanced up at him, “Have you thought of any more ways to get me home?”
“No.”
“Oh.”
More silence.
“Do you really wish to go so badly?”
Akari shrugged, “Well, kind of. I don't like it back home. But I'm sure there are a lot of people who are worried about me. I've been gone for at least 6 months.”
“I see.”
A creature howled in the distance.
“Why do you keep me here?”
“Have I not already answered that question?”
Akari sighed, “I guess.”
Sesshomaru glanced up to the sky before answering, “In truth….I do not know myself” he said softly. “But I do know…I have….enjoyed your presence.”
Akari smiled slightly, “Me too.”
They finished circling the castle and now stood side by side staring up at the stars.
“Do you have any friends?” Akari asked suddenly.
Sesshomaru looked down at her, “Friends?”
“Yeah. And Jaken doesn't count.”
“No.”
Sesshomaru stared to walk inside but stopped at Akari's voice.
“Then perhaps” she said softly, “We can be friends.”
Sesshomaru glanced back at her, “I have no need for friends.”
Akari smiled, “Me neither.”
Sesshomaru frowned slightly as he watched her walk past him and inside. It was not a frown of anger, it was one of confusion.
What was it about the girl, that he found himself enjoying her company, her smiles, her laughter? Sesshomaru shook his head as he followed Akari. All he knew was he wanted to keep her, know her and protect her.
 
A/N: PLEASE REVIEW