InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ HeartSong ❯ Soul Bound Connection ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
 
CHAPTER FOURTEEN: SOUL BOUND CONNECTION
After Akari heart-felt confession, she and Sesshomaru were hardly seen apart. She went with him on his border patrols and he would sit with her in the garden. As much as Jaken disliked the human he could see she had a fearsome affect on the demon lord, one that saved Jaken from many beatings on the head. But Jaken still didn't like the idea that his master, Dog Lord of the West; was falling in love with a human.
Of course if he were to suggest such a thing he knew no word from Akari could keep Sesshomaru from swiftly kicking him into the next world.
But he could see, and he could only it ending in disaster.
 
Akari quietly slipped into Sesshomaru office and walked over to his desk.
An hour ago they had been out on Sesshomaru's land and once they returned Akari left to take a bath. It pained Sesshomaru to have her gone, though he won't admit it; even to himself. Akari smiled and put her hands on his desk; her wet hair falling over her shoulder, sending drops of water onto his papers.
Sesshomaru looked up with a glare, “Yes?”
“Did you miss me?” Akari said sweetly, but her eyes were smirking.
“No.”
Akari shrugged, “Whatever.”
She stood back up and walked over to the window, “Do you know what the date is?”
Sesshomaru went back to his papers, growling softly as he wiped the water off.
“October 13th.”
Akari sighed, “1 year, 9 months, 9 days” she murmured.
Sesshomaru looked back up at her, “What?”
Akari turned and leaned her back against the window, “That's how long I've been here.”
Sesshomaru stood and walked over to her; his frame towering over her, “Do you miss it?” he asked softly.
Akari shrugged, “Yes and no. There are a lot of things I would like to have, and a few people I would like to see. But” her eyes flickered up to his, “There's something here I wouldn't trade for anything.”
“Lord Sesshomaru!”
Jaken came running into his study, “My lord!”
Sesshomaru stepped back from Akari and growled, “What?”
“Messenger from the East!”
“Send him in.”
Jaken disappeared then and a small goat demon walked in. He bowed deeply to Sesshomaru, “Lord Sesshomaru, I bring a message from my lord Howans.”
Akari turned to go out side but Sesshomaru touched her arm “You can stay” he said coldly.
Akari looked at him in surprise then nodded. His action both startled her and pleased her. Before he had always told her to leave when he had business to attend to, even Jaken wasn't allowed to stay.
Sesshomaru returned to his desk and sat down while Akari kept her lazy pose against the wall. The goat demon stepped forward when Sesshomaru nodded to him and began to speak.
“My lord wishes to send you a warning. There is a rouge demon plundering through the lands, destroying fields and lands of humans and demons alike.”
The demon's eyes flickered over to Akari, “And he is said to have a human companion.”
Akari glared and Sesshomaru growled at the demon's implication, “I will be on guard. Does this demon have a name?”
The goat demon had fallen back at Sesshomaru's growl and nodded nervously, “Yes. His is called Gyroa.”
“And his companion?”
“I believe it is Konoy”
Sesshomaru nodded, “I will keep watch for this demon. Give your lord my thanks for this warning.”
The demon nodded, bowed, and quickly left the room.
Akari hissed angry after him, “That bastard!”
Sesshomaru smirked, “Problem?”
Akari stormed over to his desk, “Did you see him? He actually associated me with that crazy human Konoy!”
Sesshomaru sighed, “I did not realize you were so easily offended.”
“I'm not!” Akari snapped.
Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow, “What's wrong Akari?”
Akari sighed deeply, “I just…I guess miss home. John and Hana are….were…probably sick with worry. Koto, Midori and Sakura….I guess I just feel bad for leaving them.”
“It wasn't your choice”
“I know.”
Sesshomaru stood, “I need to speak with some demons concerning this Gyroa.”
“You're leaving me here?”
Sesshomaru nodded, “Yes.”
Akari frowned then shrugged, “Whatever.”
Sesshomaru left and Akari walked out to the balcony that stood behind the window. The stars were out and lit the sky with a beautiful glow.
Akari sat on one of the chair on the ledge and curled up, her thoughts drifting.
She had only been with Sesshomaru for almost two years, and she knew his every move by heart. The looks in his eyes told her more then any spoke words ever could. But lately there had been a look she didn't recognize. It would only be for a few seconds, but when she saw it, Akari would get shivers and her heart would speed it.
She walked over to the edge of the balcony and caught the eye of the demon lord as he spoke with another high rank demon. There is was again. The look that almost made her melt. Akari hastily retreated back to her chair shaking her head, “What am I thinking? I must be imagining things.”
Yet even as she tried to make excuses, she knew she was wrong.
It was real.
 
Sesshomaru slowly walked through the hallway that led to his study. He was thinking about what he had found out a few nights ago while searching for the reasons he could feel Akari's call.
The pest of a demon who was loyal to his father, Myoga, showed up suddenly because he had heard about Akari.
Instead of answering the flea demon's questions Sesshomaru demanded an explanation for what he was feeling with Akari.
“A HeartSong”Myoga said simply.
“A HearSong?” Sesshomaru echoed “What the hell is that?”
Myoga twitched nervously, “HeartSong's very are rare and should be treasured above all else. Demons of old used to searchthis connection but could never found it. It is believed to bea gift from Kami, a way for demons and mortals to understand each other.One's heart and soul will cry out if in danger, an only it's mate will hear it.
“The call” Sesshomaru murmured.
“Precisely.”
Sesshomaru growled, “Can I get rid of it?”
Myoga looked startled, “What? Get rid of it? Why would you want to do that?”
“This Sesshomaru does not need to explain his actions to you.”
“But-”
“Just answer me.”
Myoga huffed, “Well no. You can't get rid of it. It's a soul bound connection.”
Myoga swore he saw relief flash through the demon lord's eyes; confused about his intentions the flea leaped away, “You're tied together forever.”
Sesshomaru stepped out onto the balcony and walked over to Akari. She was curled up on a chair, fast asleep. A smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he watched her sleep, and a burning sensation settling in his chest. It wasn't a painful burn, but one that brought warmth to his long cold heart.
This girl was intriguing.
“Akari”
Akari murmured something but didn't stir.
“Akari wake up.”
Akari's eyes snapped open and she found herself staring into golden ones.
“You're back” Akari whispered as she pushed herself up.
Sesshomaru took a seat next to her with a smirk, “I did not go far.”
Akari covered her mouth as she yawned then asked, “Did anybody know anything?”
Sesshomaru shook his head, “Not really, all they've heard is what the messenger said.”
“So what are you going to do?”
“Nothing.”
Akari raised an eyebrow, “Nothing?”
“Gyroa hasn't made a hostile move against me. I have no reason to attack him.”
“I see.”
They sat in silence, content with just being in each other's company. It was strange really; they both knew there was something there, but refused to say it first. And all because of pride and stubbornness.
Akari sighed and leaned back against the chair; about a month ago she had been at the river, washing her clothes, when a few girls from the village joined her.
They were more then surprised to hear that Akari lived with Lord Sesshomaru.
“You lie!” One of the girls exclaimed.
Akari frowned, “Why would I lie about such a thing?”
“Lord Sesshomaru hates humans” a second girl said softly, “He'd sooner kill one then help one, much less take one in.”
“Well you're wrong.”
The girls exchange glances.
“Sesshomaru may be a cold-hearted jerk and an arrogant prat. But he did save my life, and I know he would do it again.”
“Akari.”
Akari looked over her shoulder, “Hello Jaken.”
“Hurry up you stupid girl. Lord Sesshomaru is waiting!”
The three girls gasped and turned pale.
Akari rolled her eyes, “Well you can tell his highness I'll be there as soon as I'm done.”
“Impudent girl!” Jaken cried then yelped when Akari snatched his staff and hit him over the head with it,
“Shove it toad!”
Akari glanced up at Sesshomaru, mildly pondering over the events that had brought them together. It was nothing short of a miracle they had stayed together. They would disagree, Sesshomaru would threaten her life and Akari would roll her eyes and walk off. This usually ended in her getting attacked then saved by Sesshomaru. Akari groaned softly and put a hand to her head; it was a very confusing circle they ran in.
“What?”
Akari shook her head, “Nothing. I was just thinking.”
“About?”
“How you and I ended up together.”
“I see.”
Akari laughed suddenly, causing Sesshomaru to glance at her “What?”
“I just realized….I feel as though I'm living in a fairytale.”
Akari stood and walked over to the end of the balcony. Wrapping her arms around herself she leaned against the stone wall and looked out at the castle grounds.
“Here I am, in a strange and distant land. Rescued by a lord and taken to his castle.”
She looked over her shoulder, “My father used to read to me when I was little. I loved those stories because everybody seemed too good to be true. It was a wonderful thought. A girl saved by a boy, and taken away to his land.
Sesshomaru appeared at her side, “Is that how all the stories end? Or is there more?”
Akari turned and lifted herself up on the wall so she was now facing the demon, “No. There's always more.”
“What happens?”
Akari sighed and leaned forward, so her forehead was resting on Sesshomaru's shoulder. It was something that started a few months ago when Akari had suddenly fallen ill; now she just did it to bring herself comfort.
“It changes with each story. But the end is always the same.”
“And what end is that?”
Akari lifted her head and her words suddenly caught in her throat. Sesshomaru stared into her eyes and Akari's heart started to speed up as she realizes how close they were.
Slowly the demon lord's face came closer and Akari breathed out her answer before his lips touched hers.
“They all fall in love.”
 
A/N: PLEASE REVIEW