InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ HeartSong ❯ Home ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use
Yay…..reviews!
I decided since you were all so nice to gimmie reviews I'd be nice and give ya some more of the story.
Aren't I cool?
Akari glares: “Hardly”
DemonWitch: “Can't I at least make myself feel good about myself once in a while?”
Akari: “No”
DemonWitch growls: “Hey! I gave you a life!”
Akari raises eyebrow: “Gave me…..Dude, my mother hates me! What kinda messed up crack are you on and why aren't you sharing!”
DemonWitch blinks: “WTF….”
Ha ha….yeah I'm in a good mood. ON WITH THE STORY.
 
 
CHAPTER SIXTEEN: HOME
 
Akari paced back and forth in her bedroom. A week had past since she discovered the way to return home, and she still wasn't sure what she wanted to do. Sesshomaru had immediately gone cold and hardly spoke to her. It hurt more then she wanted to admit, but she knew why he was doing it. He had explained to her about a HeartSong, what it is and what it meant. And now the possibility of her going home….
Akari sighed and dropped to her bed with a huff. Now that she had a way to go back, she wasn't so sure she wanted to. She had a better life here then in the future, and she had Sesshomaru now. But in the back of her mind, she knew she had to at least go back and say goodbye to a few people; and see if her father was still alive.
Akari sat up so fast the room spun. How could she have forgotten about him? If he did survive, he would have gone frantic in searching for her.
That's final then” she got to her feet and walked over to her door, “I'm going back.”

Sesshomaru stared at the girl in front of him, his face remaining still though inside he was a mess.
“I'm going back.”
Akari's words echoed in his mind, and as much as he hated to admit it; they stung.
“Sesshomaru?”
Akari's soft voice broke through his thoughts. Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow indicated he had heard her.
“Are you okay with that?”
“It is your life Akari. I do not wish to control it.”
His voice was so cold it made her flinch.
“Are you saying you don't care?”
Sesshomaru sat down at his gaze, turning his attention back to his paperwork.
“Answer me damn it!” Akari cried.
Sesshomaru lifted his head, “I already did.”
Tears blurred her vision, but she refused to let them fall.
“Don't do this Sesshomaru. I can come back.”
“Then why are you leaving?”
“I have to make sure my father's okay. I have to say goodbye. I have to…” her voice trailed off.
Sesshomaru got up and walked over to her, taking her chin in his hand he lifted her face up so he could see into her eyes, “I do not want you to leave” his voice was a chilling whisper, one that sent shivers down his back, “But this is not something I will interfere in. Do as you see fit, it's your choice.”
Akari closed her eyes and buried her face in his chest, their arms holding each other close.
It's your choice. How long she waited to hear those words; embrace them, experience them. But now, all they held was a hollow meaning, and pain.

The next morning Akari flew off into the sky on the back of the dragon Ah-Un. Sesshomaru had left before dawn, leaving Akari alone in his bed. Now as Akari flew through the sky; she wished she could have seen him one last time.
It was night by the time Ah-Un landed by the well. It was both a welcoming and feared sight for Akari. She touched the rim of the well and fear filled her heart. What if it didn't take her home? What if she could've ever come back here? What if….
She shook her head; it did her no good to scare herself by wondering. She just had to do it. Akari glanced up at Ah-Un, its two pair of eyes watching her intently.
“I can't do this” Akari whispered.
She started back to the dragon, but looked down at her hand and stopped. The locket from her father gleamed in the moonlight.
“What am I thinking? Of course I have to…..”
She closed her eyes and sighed, “Note to self: Never wish for the chance to make your own decision. It sucks!”
Akari patted Ah-Un on both neck and smiled, “Well, I guess this is it.”
She turned and walked back to the well, climbing up on the edge she took a deep breath before stepping off.
Ah-Un walked over to the well and peered in. Then looked at each other and laid down on the grass.

“There lived a cold demon Lord; with a castle far into his lands. One day a beautiful woman appeared, with hair like fire, and a spirit as wild as the river. She was lost and asked the demon Lord for his help. This Lord had never helped anyone before in his life, but he as so taken by the woman's beauty, he agreed. They traveled throughout the lands, searching for a way for her to return to her home. But they found none. Finally the demon Lord took the woman to his castle, because he had fallen in love with her, and wished to keep her as his own. Many other demons tried to claim her as theirs; they were impressed by her bravery and beauty. But they all failed and the girl stayed by the demon's side. For years they were together. Till one day the girl was told of a way home. But she had to choose between her home, and the one she loved. Leaving the demon Lord at his castle the girl journeyed home, and was never heard from again.”
Juhins finished his story then leaned back and waited for the couple to speak. The fire crackled and hissed, giving off a bright warmth.
“That's so sad” Kagome finally murmured.
InuYasha frowned slightly, “So why is it forbidden to speak of?”
Juhins shrugged, “Lord Sesshomaru wishes it. It is too painful for him to know the human chose to leave him.”
InuYasha snorted, “This is unbelievably. Are you sure that demon in the story is Sesshomaru? Sure as hell doesn't sound like him?”
Juhins nodded, “Yes. I remember seeing the girl myself years ago. She was hard to forget because she was indeed beautiful, and her eyes seemed to look into your soul. I only saw her twice; one time she came into my father's store and other out in the woods.”
“Was Sesshomaru with her?” InuYasha questioned.
“Not in the store.”
“Then how do you know he's the same demon?”
“She said the candy was for him.”
InuYasha fell over and Kagome snickered.
“Now I know it's not him!” InuYasha yelled.
“I saw them with my own two eyes. Walking through the forest and others had seen them together. Soon it because a tale many wished to hear. But after the girl disappeared.”
“Sesshomaru didn't want to be reminded.” Kagome whispered.
Juhins nodded, “Yes.
They talked a few minutes more then Juhins bid them goodnight and left.
InuYasha yawned and stretched, “That guy's been hit upside the head one to many times. There is no way-”
“She got to go home” Kagome murmured.
“Eh?”
“Akari…in the story it says she went home.”
InuYasha grunted and laid down, “I don't know Kagome. That story was kinda far fetched.”
Kagome laid down as well and looked into InuYasha's eyes, “I don't think so.”
“Keh.”
After a few minutes Kagome lifted her head, “InuYasha?”
“What?”
“I want to go back. First thing in the morning.”
“Back where?”
“The well.”
“What for?”
“I'm going home.”
“Keh.”
Kagome laid back down and closed her eyes, “Now where did she go?”

Akari gasped in surprise as she felt her body float through the air, then land softly on the ground. She looked up and her heart nearly leaped out of her chest. She was inside the well house.
She quickly climbed out of the well and walked over to the doors; it was dark outside and Akari was glad. It made it easier to sneak around.
She slipped outside and looked over at the Higurashi's house. All the lights were out and not a soul seemed to be up.
Akari sighed and made her way down the steps. There was only one other person she could trust not tell she was back, especially if she didn't stay.
Akari skillfully climbed the tree to the window and pulled it open, thankful it still remained locked. Hoping inside she softly walked over to the bed and shook the girl that lay fast asleep.
“Sakura”
Sakura mumbled but didn't open her eyes, so Akari shook her hardly, “Sakura wake up!”
Sakura groaned and her eyes fluttered, “What?”
Akari smirked, “Long time no see.”
Sakura's eyes shot open when she saw Akari, “Ak-”
Akari quickly placed her hand over the girl's mouth.
“Hush!” she snarled softly, “No one can know I'm here.”
Sakura nodded her head and Akari moved her hand then sat next to the girl on the bed.
“Where have you been?” Sakura hissed.
Akari sighed, “You wouldn't believe me if I told you.”
Sakura crossed her arms, “Try me.”
So Akari told her exactly what had happened; from falling in the well to being attacked by demons to living with Sesshomaru.
“You're crazy.”
Akari laughed shortly, “I told you it was hard to believe.”
“Akari” Sakura sighed and shook her head, “You've been gone for almost two years. You had everyone sick with worry.”
“It wasn't my choice!” Akari snapped.
“Your grandfather died.”
Akari paled, “What?” she breathed.
“About 11 months ago. He couldn't handle the fact he lost you, and he died.”
Akari closed her eyes and blew out her breath, “I….”
Sakura's face softened, “I'm sorry Akari. I just can't believe you've come back here. After two years of no one knowing where you were.”
“I didn't know how to get back.”
Sakura scooted closer and put an arm around Akari, “All that matters is you're back now.”
Akari nodded slowly.
“Your father will be happy.”
Akari's head shot up, “What?”
Sakura smiled, “Your father's been searching for you this whole time.”
Tears filled Akari's eyes but they did not fall, “My father's alive?”
Sakura nodded, “Yes. The day you disappeared…your mother called your grandparents and said your dad had suddenly woken up; calling your name.”
Akari put her hands in her face and breathed deeply, “I don't believe it.”
Sakura put her head on Akari's shoulder, “You've changed” she whispered.
Akari glanced over at her, “What do you mean?”
“Akari, two years ago you would have broken my arm if I put it around you.”
Akari smirked, “True.”
“I'm glad.”
“For what?”
“Whatever happened to you. Wherever you were, wither a different country, or time; it's made you better.”
Akari laughed softly, “I've been back for five minutes. How can you tell?”
Sakura looked into her eyes, her face serious, “Because you just laughed. You nearly cried when I told you about your family. I can see it in your eyes, the way you talk.”
Akari half shrugged, “I'm still the same person.”
“Yes. But you don't hate the world anymore.”
“I guess that's because I've found someone…to take my mind off my hate.”
Sakura suddenly pulled her into a hug and Akari surprised them both but hugging her back.
After a few minutes Sakura sat back and smiled, “When are you going back?”
Akari bit her lip then smiled back, “I can't stay here.”
“I know.”
“Thank you.”
“Will I see you again?”
Akari got to her feet and shrugged, “I don't know.”
“You're not going to see your family.” It wasn't a question, just a simple statement. Sakura could always do that, know what you want to do, even before you did.
“Are they still looking for me?”
Sakura nodded, “I don't think your father will ever stop.”
Akari sighed deeply, “As much as I want to see my father…it's better if I don't. I don't want to hurt him by leaving again.”
“It's your choice.”
Akari smiled at those words.
“And I'm glad it is.”
Akari paused at the window, “Hey Sakura?”
“Yes?” Sakura voice was soft.
“Don't tell anyone. Not even Koto or Midori.”
Akari heard Sakura sigh softly, “I won't.”
“Thanks.”
Akari climbed out the window and went back down the tree. Sakura leaned against her window and watched the girl disappear into the night.
“Goodbye Akari” she whispered, “Finally you can be happy.”

Akari grunted slightly as she pulled herself out of the well and fell to the ground with a thud.
“That hurt” she got up and brushed herself off.
Looking up she gasped as she stood eye to eye with a two headed dragon.
“Ah-Un! You waited for me?”
The dragon nodded its heads and Akari smirked, “Jaken's probably freaking out thinking he lost you.”
She patted their heads, “Good job.”
Climbing onto their backs Akari took up and reigns and leaned forward, “Take me home.”

A/N: I heard/read somewhere that Rin was actually the one that named Ah-Un, but I had to call it something other then “hey you dragon thingy!”
Anyways…this chapter's a bit on the weird side…hmmm…eh, oh well. I'm in a good mood. :D
PLEASE REVIEW