InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hidden Affection ❯ An Aftermath of Love ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hidden Affections
Chapter 15: An Aftermath of Love
He could feel her eyes piercing his back as he left, but she didn't make a sound.

He didn't see Kagome for the rest of the day.
Inuyasha awoke the next morning and felt that something was wrong. It's not that he could see it- not with his eyes still closed and all. And it's not that he could taste it or feel it or hear it.

He could smell it. Something different, and yet. . .

He was to waking up in the mornings, going to school with sweet smell of floral lavender tickling his nose- the unique scent that always wafts from Kagome. He savored that smell- especially at the beginning of school. The air is already so fresh at sunrise that her scent always seemed twice as wonderful. The only way he could think of is to keep Kagome with him. But. . .


He didn't want to hurt again. Maybe that's why he always started so many fights. A stupid belief that 'sure, a fight may hurt the soul and heart now, but then he'd be ready for the big blow- when she leaves forever- and it won't hurt so much'. Besides, that's what happened with him and Kikyou, did it not? But. . . Maybe he was just driving her away . . . ? He didn't want to feel that burning ache in his heart anymore- so why was he purposely inflicting it? Perhaps if he told her. . .

No, then she'll only laugh and avoid him.

. . .

After a few groggy moments that he was not at all familiar with, he managed to pry his heavy lidded eyes open to look around for the source of the sweet, familiarly unfamiliar smell.

Why did he smell a rose?

He learned why as soon as he opened his eyes. Sitting on his shoulder, silky petals almost touching his neck, was a yellow rose.

Huh?
Sitting up carefully and bracing his back against the bed, made his way outside, looking around for a sign of anyone, but saw none.
Cradling the blossom gently, he examined the flower with narrowed eyes.
Where did it come from? What's it for? Why is there a note tied to it's stem. . . ?

Maybe that note will have the answers.

Carefully lifting a hand, he slit the red ribbon that links the flower and card. No problem. Unfolding the thin, fragile, white paper, he began to read with curiosity.

Dear Inuyasha,

This is for you! You didn't give me any gifts, but I wanted to do something special for you anyway. I hope you like roses. They smell better than sardines, right?

He couldn't stop himself from giving a guilty little squirm.
'I guess it didn't really smell that bad. . . '

Anyway, by the time you read this, I'll be back in my own home. I guess there's just not enough space around here for me, huh? Especially when I'm such a bitch.

'Gone. . . ? '

Yes, that's right, I'm gone. And I'm not coming back. At least, not for a long while. I need a break from all this. I need a break from you.

From your inability to trust me.

'But. . . '

'I dotrust you, Kagome! Why is she saying this- - - ? '
. . .
Why can't you just tell me what's on your mind? If you did, we wouldn't fight so much. Well, okay, we'd probably find something else to fight over, but all the same. . .

Oh- before I forget. I just thought I'd mention that I've decided not to get a different partner. Hope you appreciate that.

Good bye.

Love Always, Kagome


He blinked slowly down at the letter, his hands shaking slightly as he clutched my rose.

'She isn't going to switch partners. . . ? Because of me? '

'Could she. . .'

'Could she actually. . .'

'Like me the way I like her. . . ? Is that her way to show she cares? '
He slowly began to get to his feet- - -

!
When he caught myself and realized what he was thinking. No! I can't tell her that I love her! Not after she just decided to leave! Besides- just because she said she's not going to be another guy's partner doesn't tell me anything! The teacher could have just said 'no' or something!

'But . . . '

He swallowed hard, looking down at the innocent blossom in his hands- the one that contained just a hint of floral lavender.

. . .

He dashed towards the direction she went in.

'This may be romantic suicide, but. . .'

'There's only one way to find out! '
She was sitting in her room when he got there, reading a book silently at her desk. But by the glitter of tears in her eyes the black haired man could tell she doesn't really have her heart in her reading. He perched himself in the tree just outside her window, watching her. His courage to burst in and tell her his feelings has pretty much failed him, despite the fact that he shouldhave loads and loads of it. He sighed silently, leaning back against the rough bark and closing his eyes, dangling a leg off the branch.

'Maybe I
shouldn'ttell her. . . If I left now, she'd never know I was here.'

'Yeah. . .'

'Perhaps I should just let her cool down.
 'But. . .'

'She thinks I don't trust her. And. . .'

'I don't want her to doubt our bond. After all, it was that lack of trust that killed Kikyou and I. . . That broke my heart for the first time. . .'

"Oh, I give up!!!!!!" This outburst yanks him back into reality faster than Miroku can hit on a girl. Opening his eyes, the black haired man watched curiously as Kagome slammed her book shut in frustration; falling back on her bed with a loud sigh.

"I wonder if he's gotten my note yet. . ." She mused out loud. Then she snorted softly in amusement. "Of course he has- he's not a late sleeper and it's nearly two in the afternoon." She sighed again, rolling on to her side and picking up her clock, stroking it's cool metal in a rather loving fashion. She giggled slightly as she did so, evidently remembering some of his not-so-graceful moments. Things like the whole frog ordeal. . .

He sweat dropped slightly in exasperation. She can't remember his heroic moments. Oh, no- she has to remember him freaking out at things like that frog and almost getting run over. . .

"Oh, Inuyasha. . ." She whispered, setting the alarm clock back on her nightstand. "After all the times you've told me similar things. . . I can't help but wonder if you really meant all that. . . Am I really that much of a bit- - - ?"

She jumped and gasped in shock as her tree branches clanked together with a loud clatter.
"What the- - -?"

But her voice suddenly died as she saw him, crouched calmly next to her bed.

"Inuyasha. . . ?" She gaped, as she clutched her pillow tightly to her chest and instinctively scooted into the corner.

"No," The black haired boy replied seriously, looking straight into her surprised eyes. "You're not a bitch. "

"Inuyasha," Kagome choked, so shocked to see him that he began to feel a little uncomfortable. "What're you doing here- - -?"

He opened his mouth to speak- - -

'Shit.'

There went his courage again.

Grumbling quietly he got to his feet, and sat next to her on the bed and crossed his legs in his usual arrogant style. If he only felt as sure of himself as he looked.

"I came to. . . I dunno, thank you for not teaming up with that asshole. . . and stuff."

"And. . . stuff," She repeated slowly, her cheeks a little pinker than usual.

"Yeah. Stuff," He shrugged. "Like. . . Um. . ." His hand was still clutching the rose tightly. He hadn't released it for even a second since he first received it. "Tell you what I wouldn't tell you earlier. . ."

"Oh?" She breathed, her voice was soft and timid.

"Uh. . . yeah," He pressed on, wishing that he had a little more confidence with matters like this. "You see, the thing is. . . er. . . Well, you know yesterday, when you asked why I cared. . . I. . . well, uh. . . That is, I. . . Oh, hell!" He snapped, irritated at himself beyond all belief. "I think I love you, okay? That's what I was gonna say- and that's why I care if you team up with other guys as partners."

Kagome's eyes widened even more as she blinked in surprise.

"Sure, I care about my ex girlfriend and all but - aw, fuck, now I'm just blabbering. Look, the point is that I think I love you and I care about you and I trust you and all that crap. I like it when you're with me, and I want you to stay with me. Oh- and come to school tomorrow. Don't stay by yourself in this stupid house. So- - - hey, are you laughing at me?"

Yup.

That's what she was doing. Kagome, tears pouring down her cheeks like twin rivers, was laughing so hard that she had to fall against him for support.

' I knew it. '

"What's so funny?" He muttered darkly, his cheeks beginning to flame in utter embarrassment.
'I knew she'd laugh. '
"You are." She snickered, wrapping her arms around his waist before breaking down again.

"Look," He mumbled further, annoyed, "if you don't feel the same, whatever- but you don't have to la - - -"

But he was cut off quite suddenly by her lips covering his; her lavender- scented body pressed so close to him she had practically became a blanket.

"Oh Inuyasha," She whispered with a smile as she slowly pulled away. "I never said I don't love you. If I did, I'd be lying."

'. . . ?'

'So. . .'

'She- she does . . . ?! '

He wrapped his arms around her middle, pulling her into his lap as a coy smile blossomed onto his face. He wasn't sure if he had loved her, but he felt a whole lot better telling her about it.
Well, here I go, I've completed this chapter and it's long actually ; I ran over 800 words over. Well, I'm glad your enjoying it and you're all probably all happy to see that I finally made Inuyasha and Kagome fall in love. I know, I know it was quite a while, but like I said, it is going a la anime/ manga style.
I believe in the realistic sort of love. Anyway, now that I've written this, I'm going to go and feed my horses and chickens now. Its five minuets past time for me to do so.
Anyway, please R&R even if it's small I love hearing what you all have to say.
Ja for now!