InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hitokiri Inuyoukai ❯ Hear me oh sweet dreamer... ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kagayaku: Well what do you know, I actually started yet another fic. I'm actually quite happy with this one I really like the idea. I'm working on this one with my best friend and fellow Inuyasha lover! I hope you enjoy, please REVIEW! Btw, I don't own Inuyasha *sniffle*

Mika Kyoko watched as a semi-large group of men participated in what they liked to consider a war. She rolled her golden-eyes and turned away, bored. "Honestly, I've seen wars that make this one look like a drunken scuffle." Jumping down from her perch in the tree she walked away from the primitive battle about 50 feet away. "No point in staying, what's the point of watching a completely unorganized and pointless battle." Not that she hated humans or anything, but sometimes it was just ridicules how idiotic they could be. Her silver hair swayed slightly from the light evening breeze. The creature in question was quite beautiful, as far as youkai's went at least. Though I'm sure quite a few human men would throw themselves at her feet if asked. Her long silver hair was bound up in a high ponytail leaving only her chin-length bangs to frame her face. Her skin was pale, not a sickly pale, but a beautiful pearly color that contrasted nicely with her golden eyes. Across both cheeks were two light blue streaks the top stripe slightly longer than the first. The same type of marking was visible on both wrists, one stripe on each side. Spread out around her was long, fluffy pelt that she quickly hoisted over her shoulder for safekeeping. Basically she had all the proper markings of a female Inu-youkai, however it was not these marking that set her apart from other inu-youkai. She gave a soft smile and paused to watch the setting sun as it splashed various shades or red and gold across the landscape. A light breeze rustled her hair, tussling her bangs to reveal an elegant, lavender crescent moon…

~oOo~ 315 year back ~oOo~

Lord Inutaishou squeezed his wife's hand and glanced down at his newly born daughter. "She's beautiful" the mother murmured quietly, "She looks just like you Touga-ou" (AN: Inutaishou is actually more of a title than a name, it means like great dog general or something like that. I researched it a bit and I believe his actually name is Touga-ou. Either way, he needed a shorter name for my fic than just his title ^_^ doesn't make sense for his family to go around calling him "Great dog General" unless they were being respectful.)

"Are you saying I look like a girl?" Inutaishou grinned playfully

His wife laughed softly a reached her hand of to caress her little girls face, the pup giggle at sneezed while clutching at her mother's hand.

Inutaishou's face softened as a short head of silver hair peeked over his arm at the sleeping inu-youkai. "What do you think Sesshoumaru? What shall we name your new sister?"

Sesshoumaru gazed at the little pup curiously a thoughtful look crossing his childish face. He pondered the question for a moment before his face lit up and dashed across the room to an open window. Glancing out the window he turned back to his father and smiled happily, "How about Mika ne?"

The Taiyoukai of the Western Lands brushed a clawed finger across his daughter's cheek, "Mika, because she was born on the night of the new moon." He smiled never taking his gaze from his daughter's face, "Unlike other Inu-youkai she will draw strength from the new moon."

"Why?" his wife asked, "No other Inu-youkai draw strength from the new moon. Why is she an exception?"

Inutaishou tilted his head to the side his eyes softening as his daughter clung tightly to his hand, "I do not know…but I sense it. I sense the strength that she is drawing tonight she is special. Sesshoumaru sensed it… did you not?" He looked over at his son.

Sesshoumaru nodded, "Mika is a name that will give recognition to her strength. Perhaps it is a sign that she will have a need to protect herself later in life." The young prince stated wisely.

Inutaishou shook his head at his son's sudden change. He was a smiling, happy child one minute, only to become a wise, serious prince the next. Just the same there may be some truth in his son's words.

"Sesshoumaru! Stop talking nonsense, really, where did you get an idea like that. It's just a coincidence that she was born tonight, there's no need to make it into a prophecy." The current Lady of the Western Lands stated firmly, a frown adorning her face.

Sesshoumaru noticeable flinched and bowed his head, "Gomen-ne Kasan"

Inutaishou glanced sharply at his wife, "I think perhaps you need to get some rest Nami" (AN: I had to give her a name, lol, I can just keep calling her wife and woman. Anyways I don't think they ever said what Sesshoumaru's mother's name was…so I gave her one. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Nami started and glanced up quickly at her husband. He was eyeing her carefully. Nodding she gave a slight smile, "Gomen Sesshoumaru, I'm just tired. I did not mean to be so harsh." She laid her head back against the pillows and closed her eyes sighing.

Inutaishou motioned for Sesshoumaru to follow him out of the room and let his mother rest. He frowned slightly; she had been acting strange lately, almost bitter. At first he assumed it was because she was pregnant, but now he wasn't so sure. He shifted the sleeping child in his arms so he could cradle her with one arm while he reached his other hand down.

Sesshoumaru grabbed his father's hand gratefully and leaned against the much taller taiyoukai, he didn't like being yelled at by Kasan. Yawning he rested his head against his father's arm as they walked hand in hand down the long hall…

Suddenly, everything went dark. Almost as though a scene had been cut short and there was nothing but darkness…

A deep throaty voice broke the silence…

Moon, worn thin to the width of a quill,
In the dawn clouds flying,
How good to go, light into light, and still
Giving light, dying

(AN: I didn't write these poems, these are actually poems by real writers. Just to make it clear that I don't own them…hehe ^-^)

A blood red moon appeared lighting the darkness with it's crimson light…only to reveal emptiness. An empty courtyard, covered in the dark red light, making it appear as if everything was covered in blood.

Art thou pale for weariness
Of climbing heaven and gazing on the earth,
Wandering companionless
Among the stars that have a different birth,
And ever changing, like a Joyless eye
That finds no object worth its constancy?

The moon turned pale and flashed brightly before shattering…leaving everything in pitch black once again…

Don't you hear the music that expands up high?
Everyone is singing and dancing without stopping
They are invoking the new moon.
Four days of dance with the body painted in red vermilion.
For the moon's feast.
the dancers go to the house of the Masks,
dress up as animals and as trunks of tree.
Then, in the village squares,
Everyone sings and recount hatreds and loves
.

The voice faded off, the darkness only seeming to thicken, the cool endless darkness almost suffocating. Far into the pure darkness a woman's piercing scream broke the darkness…

"Nami…"

~oOo~oOo~

Sesshoumaru shot up in bed gasping. His body was trembling and he was covered in sweat, his ears still ringing from the terrifying scream. The taiyoukai lifted his head, fear evident in his deep, golden eyes for the first time in many years. He stood and walked out onto his balcony into the cool night air. He peered up into the clear night sky…

"There's no moon…" he whispered softly, the comment meant only for his ears. "That dream, it was not just a dream. I remember that night…it was…a memory? But at the end, the Harvest moon…and the scream, that was…my mother…" he trailed off and gazed into the now dark forest.

…Inuyasha

The stray thought would have probably gone unnoticed if there hadn't been a slightly amount of affection attached to the thought. He growled, there was no way in hell he thought that. The very idea of it was absurd he hated that half-breed.

…But you didn't always

He frowned at his lack of control over his own thoughts; it must have been the dream. He had to grudgingly admit that once upon a time he had been protective of his baby brother. Once upon a time Inuyasha had looked up to him… but that was when… he stiffened as flashes of the dream came back to him. "I haven't dreamed…or even thought about her in many, many years." A sudden need to find Inuyasha came over him; he tried to shake it off but for some reason the feeling remained.

…Danger

Was Inuyasha in trouble? No, that didn't make sense why would that affect him at all? The half-breed was always in trouble.

…The new moon

He glanced up sharply at that thought, his earlier realization coming back to him, "The new moon…" he shivered. "That must be why I feel so disturbed, my power is at it's weakest tonight." His eyes narrowed at a new realization, "Inuyasha is human tonight…"

He growled at himself for feeling concerned, why should he be worried about that mutt.

…Worried?

He frowned and tossed the thought around in his head, "No, not worried…" he glanced back out at the forest. "I feel… a need to be with Inuyasha?" he scoffed, "That's ridicules!" but the feeling didn't fade, if anything it intensified. "Why would I want to be with Inuyasha…?"

…family

"Family…?" since when had he cared about Inuyasha being family… "I feel the need to be with….my family." He clenched his fists and briskly turned back inside closing his balcony doors. "It has to be the effect of the new moon and that dream, it's just a natural reaction. A need to band with my family for protection." he decided, satisfied with his answer. He paused again, "But then why tonight? There's been many new moons before, and I've never felt this before…"

…Tousan

No, wait…that wasn't true. He remembered this feeling from long ago, when he was young and his father was still alive. An image of a child Inuyasha hiding behind a teenage Sesshoumaru's back flashed through his head.

---

"The new moon is our weakest time, it is at times like this that people will try to tear this family apart. That is why we must stay together on this night. Inuyasha is human now, only you're sister is not affected by the dark of the moon. Just the same, she is young and we must watch out for each other. We must…protect the ones we love."

---

Inutaishou's words echoed through Sesshoumaru's head, had he really buried his emotions so deep to have forgotten his childhood. He remembered clearly now, his family standing together defending the castle from the hoards of oncoming demons and humans alike who sought to overthrow the powerful lord. He could just barely remember an image of Mika pushing Inuyasha behind her back and defending him.

…Mika

He felt a small twinge in his heart at the name, "She's long dead… what's in the past is past." He growled forcing the thought out of his minds only for it to be replaced with another memory

---

"Sesshoumaru?" his sister questioned taking a seat next to him

"Hai Mika?" he replied never taking his eyes from a book he was reading

"Tonight is the new moon…and we'll have to defend the castle again."

"Yes" he replied again still not moving his gaze

For a moment there was a long pause…

He finally lifted his gaze to look at her; she stood staring at him an unusual expression on her face. He turned his face fully towards her slightly concerned. She was only 2 years younger than him, but he felt the pull of brotherly protectiveness towards her. "Mika?"

She blinked as if startled from a deep thought, "Sesshoumaru can you promise me something?"

His eyes flickered across her face for a moment before he nodded

"If anything happens to me tonight… look after Inuyasha…" she gave him a small smile before running out of the room leaving a stunned youkai to stare after her.

"That was the night she died…" he realized warily. She had always been the one to look after Inuyasha during the fights; he was the reason that she had insisted on fighting with them at such a young age. Sesshoumaru had always been close to his younger sister, and vice versa, but Inuyasha was the baby of the family. He supposed that it had something to do with him being a hanyou and so vulnerable in his youth that made her so protective towards him. Mika had never minded that her father had remarried after their mother disappeared, presumed dead one night after a long battle. Sesshoumaru had always resented it though, to him it seemed like his father had betrayed his mother in a way. As much as he has wanted to hate Inuyasha back then, he couldn't. Inuyasha had looked up to him, followed him everywhere, and even copied him. How could this Sesshoumaru hate him for that? When they were a little bit older, but still before Izayoi (AN: Inuyasha's mother. This is her real name…) and his father had died, the brotherly arguments had started. It was Mika really who kept the peace, she found their fights to be amusing but if she thought they were out of hand they were stopped by a quick crack over the head, usually from her bokken.

A small smile graced his face at the memory before he sighed, "She was only 13…" his thoughts went back to that night.

One minute Mika was keeping a close eye on Inuyasha, the hoard of bandits was pretty easy tonight. It was kind of sad how they kept coming on the night of each full moon, no matter how many times they were defeated. Mika had once said it was one of the human's more idiotic tendencies, underestimating. The next moment she was gone, just like that in a flash. The only thing left what a was a quivering crying Inuyasha, who despite his tears was surprisingly holding his own, and his sisters favorite kimono drenched in blood. Inuyasha and his father had been devastated, he recalled that it was the first time he saw his father transform. The men below had practically frozen in their tracks…the last thing they heard was his father's mighty roar. He had become slightly bitter after that, his bitterness only increasing with time.

"Inuyasha was only 8 years old… and I was 15" growling he glared at his balcony doors before standing to get dressed. If worst came to worst he could always make up some insulting comment to tell Inuyasha why he was there. With that last thought he slipped out the window gliding quietly over the forest below towards his brother's scent…

Kagayaku: Well what do you think? This is the first Inuyasha fic I've done. This idea came to me last night and I just had to write it down. My friend is here to make sure I continue it…^-^ Assuming that everyone likes it that is. I wanted to try something different, please enjoy! And don't forget to REVIEW!