InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hitokiri Inuyoukai ❯ Brotherly Love....and Old Habbits ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kagayaku: Ohayo! Hope everyone is enjoying the story so far, I love reviews so please don't be shy. Review and let me know what you think of the story! I would really really really reaaaaally appreciate it! Arigato ja! =)

Inuyasha sat glaring into the campfire, mentally cursing the new moon and his human form. He hated feeling so weak, and it really didn't help that Inu-youkai were naturally at there weakest during the new moon. To top it all off he was feeling strangely uneasy this night. Everything had seemed to be going normally… They had stopped in a secluded area, away from prying eyes for Inuyasha to wait out his transformation. Sango and Kagome had instantly tracked down the nearest hot spring and headed straight for it. Shippo, being the perfect gentleman that he seemed to think he was, was carefully guarding Miroku on the other side of the campfire. Inuyasha sighed and gazed up into the dark sky at the point where the moon should be. He wished he could figure out why he felt so uneasy.

~oOo~oOo~

"Inuyasha, look at the moon tonight, it's just a small sliver. By tomorrow it will be gone and we'll have to guard the castle."

A 6-year-old Inuyasha glared up from his seat on the windowsill to his older sister who was standing beside him, "I don't want to become human! It's not fair! It makes me weak… the men in the village call me a half-breed and ignore me!" He sniffled slightly and bowed his head

Mika knelt down and lifted his head so he could look at her, "That silly Inuyasha, what does it matter what they think of you. I think you are perfect just the way you are. We all love you here, Sesshoumaru included, even if he isn't the best at showing it. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you're worthless or weak! You train just as hard as we all do, so there's no reason for anyone to think that you're weak."

Inuyasha stared up at his sister wide-eyed before nodding determinedly, "Right! I'm Inuyasha, half-breed or not I can take em all!" he took a swing at midair but only succeed in toppling over into his sisters arm.

Mika laughed and winked at him, "Of course, and Inuyasha will always be special…"

~oOo~oOo~

"Inuyasha?...Inuyasha?"

Inuyasha shook his head dazed

"Inuyasha are you alright? You really spaced out there…" Kagome sat beside him and gazed at him worriedly

Inuyasha blinked and looked around. When had Kagome and Sango got back? Had he really been that spaced out? Glancing at Kagome's worried expression he folded his arms across his chest and looked away, "Keh, I'm fine. What is it a crime for a guy to think these days?!"

Kagome frowned and huffed, "Well excuse me for caring!" she turned her back to him and set herself to the task of making dinner.

Inuyasha stared at her a moment, before focusing his eyes on the ground, - That was weird. Why...would I be thinking about that? I put that life out my head ages ago. - He shivered feeling oddly nostalgic, suddenly wishing that he could be back at home with his family. Having a daily argument with Sesshoumaru, only for it to be interrupted by a crack over the head if they got out of hand.

"…Mika"

"Who's Mika?"

Inuyasha jumped at the interruption only to find that everyone was staring at him, waiting for an answer. - Shit, did I say that out loud?! -

He growled and stood up turning his back to the group, "She's none of you're business!" with that he took his usual place in the nearest tree and closed his eyes, ignoring all of the shocked stares.

Kagome stared at Inuyasha in surprise for a moment, slightly hurt that he hadn't confided in them. She focused her eyes on the other three members of the group giving them a puzzled look. "Well that was odd…"

Miroku nodded, "Whoever she is, she either brings bad memories to Inuyasha. Or she could be someone he was close too. We really don't know much about Inuyasha past before he was pinned to the tree; besides what he went through with Kikyo. How old is Inuyasha anyways?" (AN: OK! Technically Inuyasha is about 515 years old, but I'm only making him about 320 or so. I might change it and make him older later I'm not sure. Sesshoumaru is actually about 717…lol. Hmm…what do you guys think? Should I make them older than 320's?)

Kagome looked thoughtful for a moment, Miroku was right. They really didn't know anything about Inuyasha and his life before Kikyo… she was startled out of her thoughts by the sound of Inuyasha jumping down from the tree and looking around cautiously.

"Inuyasha? What is it?"

He growled, "Sesshoumaru…"

"You mean you can tell who it is even in human form?" Miroku asked curiously

"Keh, I can sense that no good bastard a mile away." He scanned the sky trying to determine the correct direct. -From the west? So he's coming from his castle…what the hell does he want now? - He shifted nervously as he realized part of him was relieved to know his brother was coming. - Could this have anything to do with the uneasy feeling I've been having all night, or that sudden flashback? -

The group didn't have to wait long, shortly after Inuyasha's declaration Sesshoumaru descended gracefully into the clearing, the silver cloud beneath his feet dissipating. He glanced coolly around at the unusual group before settling his eyes on Inuyasha.

"Little brother…" he stated, never taking his eyes off of him

"Sesshoumaru" Inuyasha growled standing in a defensive position, "Let me guess, you're here for the Tetsusaiga. Well you're not getting it!" with that Inuyasha threw himself at his brother, his pride overcoming his current human weakness.

"Fool" Sesshoumaru jumped away from the attack easily, "I did not come here to fight."

"Liar! What's your plan now? Gain our trust, then stab us in the back?!"

Sesshoumaru fought the urge to roll his eyes and continued to gracefully dodge his brother's attack, "Hardly Inuyasha, I have more honor than that. Unlike someone that I know." He mentally berated himself for egging him on; it was more like a habit anymore though.

"So now you're saying that I have no honor?" Inuyasha scoffed his anger only increasing at the comment. His anger also completely blinding him from the familiar presence that was coming their way, without another thought he put more force into his attacks.

Sesshoumaru on the other hand wasn't as ignorant as to let his guard down and sensed it immediately. Growling he gave Inuyasha a swift knock on the head sending him rolling head of heels backwards before turning his gaze to the forest, something wasn't right. It wasn't the first time he had felt this presence, but this time he could sense something else in it's intentions.

"Hey! I wasn't done talking to you! Don't turn away from me!" Inuyasha spat jumping to his feet in anger

"You fool! Are you that far gone in you're anger against me that you do not even sense her presence!"

Inuyasha stopped mid speech and sniffed the air, "Kikyo?" he could easily smell the scent of earth and bones now, and it was…coming towards them. A confused look crossed his face as he looked at his brother. "What? You're saying you came here to warn me that Kikyo was coming? What the hell! You suddenly grew a heart and are worried about me."

Sesshoumaru frowned and resisted the urge to throw his brother into the nearest tree, "No, I had a dream"

Inuyasha raised an eyebrow, "What you had a nightmare and you want me to sing you to sleep."

"I should think not, tonight has been…strange." He turned back to face his brother, "I cannot explain it but for some reason I feel uneasy on this night. Almost…nostalgic?" he winced inwardly feeling disgusted with himself for revealing such a weakness. However, instead of the triumphant look he expected from Inuyasha he found the hanyou looking extremely shocked.

Inuyasha stared at his brother for a moment, surprise written all over his face, - he feels it too? What does this mean - he was vaguely aware in the back of his mind that Kikyo was getting closer. Looking back at the group he noticed that they were all watching the two of them with rapt attention. "Strange how?" he question, trying to find any hidden motives behind his brother's strange behavior

"Damn it Inuyasha! I dreamed about her! Now do you or do you not feel it too!"

Inuyasha's sword, though untransformed, fell limply from his hands to the forest floor, "Her?"

Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes slightly, knowing very well by now that his brother had felt it too. He paused for a moment his eyes softening,

"…Mika"

Kagome gasped at the name and flickered her gaze between Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru. There was that name again. Just who was this Mika that she would have such a big effect on the two brothers. Glancing at the others she concluded that they too were thinking along the same lines.

"Pity it seems that I have come too late, the great Lord of the Westerns Lands is already here." Kikyo stepped elegantly out of the shadows her arrow pointed at Inuyasha.

"Kikyo?" Inuyasha took a step forward but stopped

"What do you know of this wench?" Sesshoumaru demanded, his voice low with warning

"Me? Now why would I know anything? I am but a simple miko out to take Inuyasha's life." With that she let the arrow fly

Inuyasha froze confused and shocked all at once, somewhere in the back of his mind he had registered that this was the end.

It probably would have been if a clawed hand hadn't reached out and grasped the arrow in midair before it could reach its intended target.

Sesshoumaru clenched the arrow tightly and glared at the dead miko, "I told you once wench, Inuyasha's life is mine to take. What makes you think that I would let the likes of you take it"?

Inuyasha starred at his brother in shock, had he just…saved his life.

Kikyo smirked, "What makes you think I need your permission?"

Suddenly the arrow in the demon lord's hands came to life sending waves of pure energy through his body. His body jolted in surprise and at the intensity of the sudden attack, dropping to his knees he tried to pry the arrow from his hand only to find that he couldn't. His body burned all over, feeling as though he was being pierced with a thousand needles all at once. - She purifying me - he realized

"Now, I believe it's time to for you to die Sesshoumaru. It will give me one less obstacle in my path!" with that she notched another arrowed and aimed for the defenseless Sesshoumaru crumpled on the ground. "Goodbye" the arrow flew.

Everything after that seemed to happen in slow motion, Inuyasha realizing the situation did the first thing that came to mind. He jumped in front of his brother, - an eye for an eye - he thought ironically, once again starring down a speeding arrow.

And once again, the arrow stopped only a hairs width from his face, only this time there was no hand attached. The arrow had seemed to have just stopped in mid air…

Inuyasha starred cross-eyed at the arrow for a moment before jumping back away from it, knocking the suddenly free Sesshoumaru back with him.

The arrow remained in midair still glowing with Kikyo's miko energy. Suddenly the arrow shuddered and trembled the pinkish glow fading. Abruptly the arrowed splintered and shattered leaving only a few wood fragments scattered across the ground.

Kagome froze her bow and arrow half way raised for a counter attack hoping to do anything to save Inuyasha. "What…happened?" she looked around confused

Inuyasha looked just as stunned, obviously so since he was practically sprawled out across his brother and wasn't making any signs of moving. He looked at Kikyo, wondering if maybe she had changed her mind, maybe she really didn't want to kill them. Instead he saw the last thing he ever expected…fear. Kikyo was afraid, but of what?

Sesshoumaru was thinking the same thing; the miko was practically radiating fear and hate. Half sighing, half growling her shoved his brother off his lap and stood up reaching his senses out around him hoping to figure out what had just occurred.

Kikyo's fingers clenched tightly around her bow, her knuckles turning white from the pressure, her eyes held anger and frustration. "I wont be stopped! Inuyasha belongs to me!" she uttered bitterly. Quickly notching another arrow before anyone could react.

"Die Inuyasha!" her fingers slipped back ready to release the string

"I really wouldn't suggest doing that if I were you," a cool feminine voice suggested smoothly.

Sesshoumaru turned his eyes sharply to the source of the voice, "Inuyasha…" he practically whispered

Inuyasha swung his head around surprised by the intensity of his brother's voice. He was not disappointed by the reason. Paling he stared up into the tree at the female Inu-youkai staring down at them.

"…Mika?" he all but gasped stumbling towards her a bit

Kagome stared in awe for a moment… this was Mika? The beautiful youkai sat perched in a tree, her back leaning against its large trunk while the rest of her body rested along one of the low hanging braches, one of her legs dangling casually over the edge. Her long silver hair was bound up in a high ponytail swaying in the breeze, giving her an almost ghost like appearance. She noticed dimly that she wore a breastplate similar to Sesshoumaru's with spikes running over her left shoulder. Her shirt was like to that of a miko's, the same white color and long flowing sleeves, stitches looped around two sections mid arm holding it together. (AN: Take a good look at Kikyo's outfit and you'll see what I mean) the only difference was that this one was much tighter, following her curves nicely all the way down her stomach where there shirt stopped, showing a little midriff. Kagome wondered where she was from, the people of this time, or at least where she had been, were much to modest to show off skin like that. Her pants rested comfortably against her hips flaring out on the way down. (AN: If you're ever watched Hack//sign, think of Krim's pants...lol…same style. K?) Moving her gaze back up she noticed a large white, fluffy pelt draped over her shoulder, it was smaller than Sesshoumaru's giving it a feminine look, but it wasn't smaller by much. It was then the Kagome noticed the markings on her face, but most of all she noticed the lavender crescent moon on her forehead, "Could she be…"

The Inu-youkai smiled and gazed affectionately at Inuyasha, "Little brother…it's been a long time."

Inuyasha fell to his knees in shock, "It can't be."

Kagome gasped, shock coursing through her body in what was becoming a common occurrence tonight. "B…brother? - They have a sister! - Her eyes widened

Kikyo suddenly awoken from her stupor swung her arrow around and sent it flying at the new arrival.

The arrows aim was true and it imbedded itself in the tree. The only problem was the intended target was nowhere to be seen.

"Kikyo really you'll have to do better than that." An amused voice stated from behind her

Kikyo whirled around only the find the object of her frustration leaning casually against a tree, a calm mask of indifference pasted on her face. Her voice however, betrayed her amusement.

Kikyo glared, then smirked, "Mark my words youkai, this isn't over. I warned you once not to get in my way and I'll do it again. I have my own plans for the future" she smirked,
"And I wont have the likes of you stopping me" Kikyo promptly erected a barrier around herself for protection and took to the sky with the aid of her soul stealers.

Mika found herself once again gazing at the shocked Inuyasha before focusing her gaze on Sesshoumaru. A look of wonder crossed her face as she observed them; they had changed so much since she had last seen them. Taking a deep breath and willing herself not to cry from joy she began walking towards them. Kneeling in front of Inuyasha she gave him a small smile, "Inuyasha…I…" she trailed off unsure of what to say. Apparently she didn't have to because the next moment Inuyasha had wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a fierce hug, which she returned happily.

"I...I don't believe it. You're actually alive you came back? But we thought you were dead, is it really you?" he pushed her back a bit to get a good look at her.

"Hai Inuyasha, I'm not dead, and I never was. I was simply, a very long way away." She brushed a tear off of her face and laughed softly, "It's a very long story and I promise I'll tell it all to you later. Mind you, I've been keeping updates of you though so don't think you can leave anything out when you tell me you're story." She winked and Inuyasha paled nervously.

Ruffling Inuyasha's hair she stood up and turned to face the youkai before her. "Sesshoumaru" she breathed taking in his appearance, "You look just like father…" she trailed off a few small tears making their way down her cheek.

"Actually, you look just like father." Sesshoumaru reached up to gently brush the tears away, "More so than any of us." His hand trembled slightly and he pulled it away, unsure of what to do. It had been a long time since he had shown any emotions, and now it felt as if they were all breaking loose.

Mika as if sensing his conflict promptly closed the gap between him and pulled him into a hug, "I missed you… big brother. I'm so sorry it took me so long…to get back to you."

Miroku observed the display curiously after getting over his shock, he determined that since the newcomer was obviously a full-blooded youkai she must be Inuyasha's half sister, and therefore full sister to Sesshoumaru. Either that or their father got around a lot more than her thought.

Mika stepped back and grinned, "The three of us together again, it's been awhile. Word has it that you and Inuyasha have been mortal enemies doing you're best to either mangle or kill one another." She raised a slender eyebrow

Inuyasha laughed nervous and suddenly found something very interesting one the forest floor.

"He's a baka, you can't expect me to get along with …that." He stated in monotone, glaring at his younger…HALF…brother.

Mika sighed and rolled her eyes turning her gaze to Kagome who was standing a few feet away, "Do you have to put up with this all the time?"

Kagome jumped and blushed realizing that the question was directed at her, "Um…yeah, they do it quite a bit actually. It has started to become a routine around here." She laughed nervously.

Mika softened her gaze and stepped towards Kagome, "There's no need to be nervous…" she smiled, "I was just curious if these two have gotten better or worse since I disappeared."

Kagome relaxed and returned the smile, instantly liking the girl. She was kind of like a mix between Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru, but with a hint of something more. Kindness and understanding maybe, she chuckled inwardly, "Yeah they're pretty bad, constantly trying to kill each other. Ever since Inuyasha got the Tetsusaiga and Sesshoumaru had the Tokijin created all they ever do is try to prove who's best."

Mika frowned slightly and sighed. Turning back to the two in question she raised an accusing eyebrow, "Can't you two EVER just get along? It was bad enough when we were little, now you're actually trying to kill each other." Despite the firmness in her voice, the twinkle of amusement in her eyes was obvious.

Sesshoumaru however, found nothing amusing about it, "Maybe if the half-breed would learn to have some sense and respect, I would feel the need to rid this world of him."

Inuyasha jumped up fuming, "What the hell is that supposed to mean you bastard! I can beat you anytime anywhere just name it!"

Sesshoumaru growled in warning, "Why do you insist on arguing at a time like this?"

"Well then why did you start it!"

-WACK-

Kagome's jaw dropped open for a moment before a look of pure laughter crossed her face, biting her lip to keep from laughing she watched the scene.

Before her sat a very stunned Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha both holding a hand to their heads dazed.

Mika smirked, "I thought I might be needing this, my informants told me that you too were at each other's throats." She leaned the old familiar bokken across her shoulders.

Inuyasha looked up and groaned, "You didn't"

Sesshoumaru merely glared, unable to think of anything to say at the moment, and yet slightly bewildered that he never saw it coming. Of course he never saw it coming when he was young either. He sighed…

Mika shrugged, "What can I say, old habits die hard."

Kagayaku: Well?! What do you think? I hope it meets everyone's standards ^-^ I'm open for any ideas you might have though. I want this to be a story that everyone enjoys. Please review and let me know what you think! And if you MUST flame, don't be too harsh…=\. Hehe R&R!