InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hymn for the Missing ❯ Hymn 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hymn 5

~oOo~

Several hours later, Inuyasha walked slowly back to camp, his feet dragging.  His visit with Kikyou had not been as productive as he'd hoped, but it had managed to stir up his emotions and tug at his guilt.  Just like it always did...

Her visits always left him unsettled, his emotions wild and out of control as he felt tugged and torn between Kikyou and Kagome.  He hated feeling that way...

But it was always worse once he returned to camp and had to feel Kagome's hurt.  To see the avoidance in her eyes and the way she kept to herself.  How she would refuse to ride with him, trying to keep her distance as a way to work herself through her hurt feelings.

He hated it.

Stopping just out of sight of the campfire, he leaned against a tree and lowered his head, frustrated and feeling trapped.  Keh!  What do I do?  There's just no way out of this trap, is there?  Caught between them, and unable to move.  I hate this...

Punching a fist back into the tree, he tried to let out some of his tumultuous emotions, but it did nothing to help, and after a moment, he straightened, ignoring his now bleeding hand, and let his thoughts freeze.

Getting himself under at least a semblance of control, he resolutely started forward, heading for his previous perch over the camp.  But the moment he actually stepped back into camp, his brows furrowed suspiciously – something was wrong.

His gaze swept over the bundles on the ground... Sango, Kirara, Miroku, all seemed just fine.  But when his eyes landed on Kagome's bag, he realized what was wrong.

No Kagome.

Shippo was still curled up asleep, but the dark-haired girl he cared so much for was gone.

Grumbling, he began to search out her scent, thinking she'd gone off to look for him, or to take care of personal business or something.

But within moments, he was scowling, suddenly uncertain – her scent never left the clearing.  He searched the entire perimeter, and it was clear; Kagome had not left the camp under her own power, because if she had, he'd have been able to track her.

Within seconds he had everyone under the trees awake as he started cursing and leaping into the trees looking for her scent, or any scent that shouldn't be there...

Yet he could find nothing.

But... he growled deeply as he dropped back out of the trees right over her sleeping bag.  “The shard... it's still here, I can sense it!”  Grabbing a wailing Shippo, he shook the boy until the small glass vial containing the shard fell at his feet, and the entire camp, which had just been noisy as everyone demanded to know what was going on, stared at the vial, and then Shippo.

“Shippo, how did you get that?”  Sango gasped, eyes wide.

“I don't know!”  the boy cried, tears pouring down his cheeks.  “When I fell asleep before, in Kagome's lap, it was still in her pocket!”

Miroku walked over and bent down to pick up the bottle that lay at the hanyou's feet – the hanyou who was frozen, staring at it as though it were going to bite him.

“The only explanation is that Kagome-sama hid the shard on Shippo when whatever was happening took place.  She obviously did not want whatever creature that took her to gain the shard,”  he said, tucking it into his robes after a moment, his eyes solemn as he stared at Inuyasha.

The hanyou broke out of his frozen shock and spoke, then.  “And you guys didn't notice anything?  You didn't hear anything at all?!”  He seemed unable to believe it.

“As incredible as it seems,”  he glanced at Sango, who was shaking a teary head,  “no.  It took someone with great power to do what was done...”  he trailed off.

All of their thoughts turned to Naraku.  

“Byakuya,”  Inuyasha spat, his fists clenching in rage, blood dripping to the ground from his perforated palms.  “Master of illusions... he could have slipped in here and taken her and no one would have been the wiser.”

Eyes empty, he turned and walked out of the camp as the others watched on with worried expressions.  

Shivers ran up the spines of everyone present when a feral scream shattered the night a few moments later.

“Kagomeeee!”


Converting /tmp/phpAghxHo to /dev/stdout