InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hymn for the Missing ❯ Hymn 13 ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hymn 13

~oOo~

All Inuyasha could see were Kagome's accusing eyes before him, and despite the fact that she'd never really looked at him that way but once before, after he'd sworn not to leave her again, and she'd called him a liar, he could see her clearly – more clearly than anything in the clearing with him.

Traitor, she whispered.  You lied to me, you left me, and now it's too late to save me.

He knew it wasn't really her saying these things, but his conscience sure sounded like her in that moment, and a growl starting low in his chest, he looked up at the spider above him with such rage that the growl grew into a roar.

“Give her back, you bastard, or I'll make sure you never see the light of day again, Naraku!”  he promised, his tone dark and vicious.  “Give her back!”

“I'm afraid I can't do that, Inuyasha,”  he said, a false sense of sympathy in his oily voice.  “She's even now integrating with the jewel.  Before long, she will be a part of the Shikon no Tama, and have no existence outside of it – much like the cursed priestess Midoriko.”

Mind blank, Inuyasha brought Tessaiga's hilt up and laid his forehead against it, trying desperately to calm his youkai blood.  “Please, Tessaiga... take me to Kagome,”  he whispered against it's battered hilt.  “Please.”

There was silence for a moment as Naraku prepared to unleash Byakuya's illusion, but   he was caught off-guard as the Tessaiga, that infernal fang, pulsed, before going black.  It pulsed again, and Inuyasha pulled it away from himself and looked at it, surprised.

“Meidou?”  he asked softly, eyes pinned to the fang.  It didn't take long for him to figure it out...

Leaping high into the air, he brought the great sword down in a brilliant arc as black light erupted from the blade in a perfect crescent – and everyone there, including Naraku, was shocked when he leapt into the starry void with no hesitation.  

Just as he disappeared, Naraku ordered Byakuya to cast his illusion, and the incarnation did so, not realizing that Inuyasha had actually created his own door into the Shikon no Tama with the Tessaiga – and that his illusion was wasted.

The four companions left behind simply stared at the spot the meidou had closed in shock, not even noticing when Naraku and his slave left.

He was inside the jewel, yes... but he hadn't yet understood that the inner universe of the jewel was infinite – he could search for eternity, and still never find her.

The only hope he had to find her was his father's fang...

And that it would help him correct a most deadly mistake in leaving her unprotected – Kikyou notwithstanding.


Converting /tmp/php7oB6xr to /dev/stdout