InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hymn for the Missing ❯ Hymn 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hymn 16

~oOo~

Breathing heavily, Inuyasha swung Tessaiga again, destroying the youkai attacking him, only to have them regenerate again.

Frustrated, he growled angrily at the youkai.

For the first time, they addressed him.

“You have come to see the priestess?  She will come soon.”

“Kagome?”  he asked, hope suddenly pulsing through him.

“Look up,”  one answered.

A flash of light burst up above him, drawing his eyes.  He was startled by what he was seeing.  “A human?”  he asked, confused.  That's not Kagome...

A different youkai answered him.  “That is the miko that created the jewel.  She has been fighting us ever since.  She is the jewel, just as we are.  But now there is another.”

Inuyasha blinked, then scowled at the youkai, Tessaiga held warningly before him.  “What do you mean?”

“The one you search for.  She fears the dark, and being forgotten within it.  Because of that, her light is dying, and she is becoming one with us.  She no longer has a physical form, hanyou – you cannot save her,”  it said gloatingly.

Horror sinking into the depths of his soul, Inuyasha sucked in a shocked breath.  “Where .is.she?”  he demanded, panicking.

A black chuckle came then.  “Can you not feel her?  She is all around you.  The rain... it is her grief.  And now that you have brought that piece of us back inside, her final fate is one step closer to being finished.”

“What?!”  Inuyasha reached into his haori and pulled out the bottle... only to find that the fragment that had been held within was gone as though it had never existed...

Terrible and keening, wind picked up around him, and lightening flashed in wicked bursts as the jewel reached out for its last missing piece and Kagome's grief and fear deepened.

Converting /tmp/phpBKUy2J to /dev/stdout