InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I am I ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Hi All!
 
 
I found this poem, and I thought it truly fit for Kagome. Or at least, what she thinks. Some things in here are a bit OOC, but hopefully you'll get the idea. Dai!
 
 
YoukaiLuvr
 
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the poem “Accept Me” by Larry S. Chengges, nor do I own the characters or original show storyline from the anime/manga Inuyasha by Takahashi Rumiko.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
I am I
 
 
I am I
 
 
Kagome was walking beside Inuyasha on yet another hunt for the ever elusive Shikon shards. She was thinking about the last fight she and Inuyasha had. Yes, they - herself and the very stubborn hanyou had yet another fight. But this one was an intense one - not even Miroku had any snappy comebacks to make afterwards.
 
 
Do not change me
condemn me
nor put me down
 
 
The fight had started when the group returned home to Kaede's village after going after and retrieving a Shikon shard that had been rumored to be in a village nearby. The short battle had been a tough one that included many close calls, but fortunately, nothing more than minor scratches had been received by the shard hunters.
 
 
Accept me for what I am
 
 
But to listen to Inuyasha during the fight with Kagome, you'd have thought that the battle had been a disaster. And somehow, nearly everything that came out of his mouth was blaming Kagome for the `problems' of the battle, yet in fact, she had saved his life with a sacred arrow. Granted that arrow had been aimed for the jewel shard in the oni's neck and hit his hand instead, but still the fact remained that she saved him.
 
 
No…you need not
agree with me
 
 
Kagome had finally had enough it seemed, for she practically screamed “OSUWARI!” Inuyasha's enchanted sutra beads pulled down on his neck with incredible force and he performed his trademark face-plant. Miroku, Sango, Shippou, Kaede, and Kilala all winced as they were given a front row seat to the action; they wished that they could sneak outside of the hut and escape their doom, but they were afraid that the two warriors would turn their wrath upon the watchers. They stayed put.
 
 
But accept me
for I am total in being
 
 
“Inuyasha,” spoke Kagome, her voice low and even, her face expressionless; the lookers-on gulped. A calm Kagome during a fight could only mean trouble, especially for Inuyasha. She continued speaking when the subduing spell wore off and Inuyasha stood up to face her. “I know I mess up and I know it irritates you to no end. But I am better than I used to be and I am continuing to grow. I just wish you could see that….”
 
 
 
.
I have my faults
I have my guilts
 
 
Inuyasha and the others were just sitting (or standing, as in the case of Inuyasha) and listening to her in shock. Kagome paused for breath then continued. “I'm not perfect; I'm not Kikyou. I'll never be. I've accepted that and you should too.”
 
 
But that is who I am
Perfect I will never be
 
 
Kagome continued. “I can only ever be me; no one else - not Kikyou, not a straight-A student, not just a shard detector. I accept you, just as you are! I have become your traveling companion, battle partner, and most of all, your friend. I had hoped you would see me for who I am, and then….”
 
 
 
Allow me to be uninhibited
Do not pressure me into feeling
what I do not feel
 
 
She trailed off, unsure that she should say what was truly running through her mind. Inuyasha spoke for the first time since Kagome exploded, his voice just as low as hers. “And then what, Kagome?” She looked up to lock eyes with him; her eyes were so…saddened, depressed, resigned. Inuyasha almost looked away.
 
 
Accept me
when I am flying high
 
 
Kagome finished what she was saying. “And then, maybe, just maybe, you could let me be more than all of that, more than a friend. But I guess that will never happen. Especially since all you see me as is a clumsy, stupid ningen onna. I will stay to fulfill my duty - gathering the Shikon shards and helping to defeat Naraku - but after that, I will return to the modern era, since finishing our task seems to be all I'm good for.”
 
 
As I have accepted you when
you were flying high
 
 
Kagome bowed her head, then turned and left the hut, leaving everyone inside in shock. No one said anything as Inuyasha blinked several times, then left in Kagome's footsteps. He didn't have to look for her for long - his feet took him straight to her, sitting under the Goshinboku.
 
 
Do not put me down…
nor make me
feel unhappy about me
 
 
He walked up to her and sat down beside her. “Heh, everything seems to bring us back here, doesn't it?” he said, looking at her. She didn't respond. “Kagome,” he started again. “Listen, I didn't mean that stuff I said -” Kagome's head snapped up. “This is what you do every time, Inuyasha! We have a fight, then you come back apologizing like this and I change my mind about leaving! I really meant it this time, Inuyasha! Once we're done with our quest and defeat Naraku, I will go back to the modern era, for good!!”
I am I
and I like being what I am
 
 
Inuyasha spoke back up. “Kagome, please, just listen. I mean it, I don't think of you the way that I said I did. I don't think you're `just a stupid human girl,' though I ain't gonna argue with the clumsy part.” She shot him a look that clearly said “That isn't helping!” “I think you're strong, and brave, and incredibly beau-….” She looked at him. “Incredibly what, Inuyasha?” He gulped and finished his thought. “I-Incredibly beautiful,” he said, the whisper so soft Kagome almost didn't catch it.
 
 
Me
 
Kagome blushed, then her brain kicked into gear. “N-nani?” Having got that off his chest, he decided that he might as well go all the way. “I mean, I wanted to be more than friends, too, but I was afraid you didn't. I,” he gulped again. “I love you Kagome, and I never wanted you to be like Kikyou, and I never will. I realize that I only owe her vengeance for her death, nothing more. What I once had, or might have had, with her, it isn't worth what I would have to give up.”
 
 
Kagome was still in shock - she barely heard what he said after the words `I love you.' “Y-you mean it?” she said. “You love me?” Inuyasha smiled slightly; he knew she was going to say something like that - she was just as stubborn as he was. “Yes,” he said. “I love you. Only you.” That seemed to convince her, because the next thing he knew, she was tackling him and wrapping her arms around his neck. “Good,” she said. “Because I love you, too.” Laughing out loud, Inuyasha stood up - still holding Kagome in his arms - and spun around. Kagome soon joined him in his laughter.
 
 
Inuyasha's laughter suddenly stopped. Kagome looked at him quizzically. “Uh, Kagome, are you still going to go back to the modern era when this is all over?” She smiled and shook her head. “No,” she said. “Not now that I have a reason to stay here, to stay home.”
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
Okay, so what do you think? Hopefully I didn't make them too OOC, but I saw the poem and couldn't help but think of Kagome and what she really thinks of herself and what she thinks others think of her, namely Inuyasha.
 
 
Lemme know what you think!
 
 
YoukaiLuvr