InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Am Who I Am ❯ The blossom ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Author's note


Wow, this fanfic is running so well. So far it is my fic with the most chapters. Well, since ther eis nothing else to do this summer, I'll share my chapter.


*******************


The Blossom


The sun peaked out from behind the mountain and tree tops. The morning was still early and the dew drops clinged the the corners of the leaves and grass blades. The gang marched through the moist ground, Inu-Yasha leading them. Together they made a soft, constant sound as they walked. The air around them wasn't very tense, the only tension came from the leader of the pack. His eyes were narrow as he looked striaght ahead and his mind was trapped on all the conversations of the night before. Kagome and Sango flollowed behind Inu-Yasha, next the two children (Shika hasn't left Shippo's side since the lake), with Miroku bringing in the rear. Kagome and Sango looked at each other, then Sango decided to break the silence.


"I never thought the day would come when we actually went looking for Sesshomaru." Kagome nodded.


"Daddy's name is..Sess....sshow....ma..ru?" Shika asked looking up at everyone. Shippo nodded, hesitently. Shika gave a giant smile, she had learned something new about her father. She was too happy for words.


"His name doesn't matter! When we get that son of a bitch-" Inu-Yasha stopped dead in his sentance and stopped in his tracks. He looked straight into the eyes of the small demon child, who had suddenly appeared in front of him, her giant eyes starring at him. He looked into her silver pools with his own golden ones. Her eyes showed worry. Her hands stayed at her side and she just looked up at him for a few moments before speaking.


"Do..You not like daddy? Did daddy...do something?" Her voice was soft and unsure. All Inu-Yasha could do was stare, silent, unsure of what to say, at her. He sighed and scratched his head and walked passed her with one graceful step.


"I-It's nothing. Lets just keep going." Inu-Yasha belted out. Everyone just stared at him for a moment, then continued walking. Shika stayed where she was and waited for Shippo to reach her and then started to walk again, by his side. Thoughts rushed through her mind. Why was he talking so badly about her father? Was he bad? Or was it the ones she was with that were the bad ones? She cringed slightly, her thoughts frightening her. Shippo saw the girl next to him show fear. He took his hand and very gently stroaked the back of her head. Her eyes opened and looked at him from the coners of her eyes.
His touch was soft and sweet. That took away her fears. There was no way these people were bad. They were too kind to her to be anything harmful. She looked at the kitsune, who slowly removed his hand, and smiled at him. A smile that could warm any heart. A smile that would make anyone who saw it smile right back. Shippo smiled.


They walked for a little while longer until they reached a field that bloomed with wild flowers. Shika and Shippo ran to the front of the group and stood on the hill and looked over the view. Flowers and green grass covored the land as far as the eye could see. Simply a lovely sight. Shika and Shippo both smiled at the welcoming sight, feeling the comforting warmth of the sun. They ran out into the field together, laughing, jumping, and being the children that they were. The older group members watched them, Inu-Yasha the only one slightly confused at what they were doing.


"Looks like they would like to play here for a little while. That's OK right, Inu-Yasha?" Kagome asked, standing next to the red clothed dog demon. He looked down at Kagome, then at the demon children, who were now playing tag. As they ran, petals from wild flowers flew into the air, scenting the air and making a path as where they ran. With out removing his eyes from the view of the children he answered Kagome.


"Yeah, there's no harm. There is no hurry on finding that bastard anyway. They can play for a bit, I guess. Shika could use at least one fun day in her life." Inu-Yasha grunted slightly and walked over to an empty patch where he wasn't in the kids's runway and he could watch them. He sat in his hunched over hound position, but in a more relaxed way then normal. Kagome walked over to him and sat next to him, leaving her bike where she was earlier. Sango leaned her boomerrang up against a tree near the enterance of the thick woods, then sat down and watched the children as well, Kirara sitting in her lap. She enjoyed the breeze and sun as he stroaked the demon's fur softly, listening to it 'Mew'.


After thir game of tag, Shika began gathering flowers. Shippo helped by picking the best ones he could find in the field. Shika sat on a low hill and tied the stems of the plants together as Shippo picked them. When she had all she needed, Shippo sat by her, curious at what she was doing. His eyes watched her constanly, they never left her sight. They stayed together, on that little hill until sun set.


Inu-Yasha was laying on his back, hands pillowing his head, eyes facing the sky, in light thought. Kagome was still sitting next to him, hugging her knees to her chest, watching the two little ones talk, giggle, play with the flowers, and just loveing each other's company. Sango was walking around with her little demon friend, as Miroku watched her, leaning up against his staff.


Sango looked at the children as they ran to her and Kirara, they both had their hands full of circular flowery items. Next they ran to Miroku. Shika looked at the hill with Kagome and Inu-Yasha, holding to more flower rings. Shippo started walking to them, turned to face her, seeing she wasn't following. He nudged his head and she began walking to them along side him.


Inu-Yasha's nose twitched and he sat up, startling Kagome and their guests a bit. Inu-Yasha saw the two young demons in front of him. He looked at them, the kitsune with a sneer on his face and the puppy with a look of childish worry. He could sense that she wasn't fully used to him. He noticed she was holding items in her hands, Shika noticed that he was looking at them. She slowly walked up to him, Shippo followed close behind for her comfort. Inu-Yasha stayed silent and looked at her, his eyes giving off the least threatening look anyone has recieved. With his harmless glance, Shika smiled and placed a flower ring on his head. He blinked, unsure of what she did exactly. Shika giggled as his ears twtiched. The flower ring was too small to go around both of his ears, so it went around one and stayed on that side of his head. Inu-Yasha sat up tall and straight with his flower crown on. He took a hand and fizzled the girls hair lightly. Shika giggled lightly as she was being approved of. It was a feeling that she rarely received, one that made her feel good to have.


After he removed his hand, the small puppy gave a flower ring to Kagome, who greatfully accepted it on her head with a smile. Kagome gave her a small hug and Shika fell into her warm embrace for a few moments. For those few moments, she was safe.


The night grew dark and the gang sat together as Kagome prepared her instant ramen dinner. Inu-Yasha sat over the pot, sniffing the delectable scent of the noodles. Around one ear rested the flower ring, he hadn't removed it since he recieved it, nither had Kagome or anyone else for that matter. Sango wore hers as a necklace, Kirara's fit perfectly on her tiny head, and the one given to Miroku was so long that he was able to gently wrap it around his cursed arm next to his beads.


Dinner time came and went. Inu-Yasha grunted and cursed Kagome for taking so long, and Kagome sat him before he could take his first seat. Shika found it amazing how one word caused him to do a belly flop to the ground. Once again, Shika burned her mouth on the noodles and coughed her brains out. Miroku got slapped for rubbing Sango, which he assured her he 'didn't do on purpose'.


The stars hung in the night sky, as an almost full moon did as well. The full moon was nearing and Inu-Yasha knew that so was the new moon. Kagome had rolled out her sleeping bags and Sango and Kagome crawled into them, watching the small camp fire. Kirara was curled up by her demon slayer companion, being petted gently with love. Miroku sat next to Inu-Yasha on the ground, looking at the two little demons, who sat not too far from the group. They were star gazing and enjoying the time together.


"Do you think everyone liked our flower crowns?" Shika asked, her voice soft, afraid that the others may hear her. Shippo looked at her and smiled.


"Yes. I know they did."


"What about the silver-haired demon?" She asked.


"Does Inu-Yasha frighten you?" Shippo asked as he looked her in the eye.


"It..It's not that he scares me. It's his eyes. They are so deep. Like they can see straight through you. You can't hide anything from them. Something dirty like me must be an eyesore to such eyes." Shika looked at her hands and sighed quietly. Shippo looked at her, his eyes slightly wide, his mind spinning. She was adoring Inu-Yasha?


"Huh. Well don't let whatever he says to bother you. He's like that to everyone. I know. It's strange with someone who has 'pure' eyes to say foul things. But that's Inu-Yasha. He hasn't removed the crown you gave him. He may put on an act, but deep down, we all know he likes you." Shippo grinned a boyish grin. Shika looked at him, a small smile appearing on her face. Shippo was shocked at what happened next. Shika laid her head down in his lap and laid on her side. She was still and quiet, and she cloed her eyes. Shippo's cheeks grew in color and he placed a hand on her head, below her ears.


To him, she belonged here, surrounded with beautiful flowers. Wild and free flowers. To him, she was a flower, delicate and sweet. In the moon light, she indeed shined and was the blossom.


He closed his eyes and rested, sitting up, hand on her, in complete bliss.


TBC


**********************


The end of that chapter. I really ..honestly had no idea what I was doing with that chapter. I kind of just wrote the first thing that came to my mind. Did you like it? Do you like my story? Do you hate it? Well let me know what is on your mind! Review! All are welcome with open arms.