InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Can't ❯ Together Forever? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I Can’t
An Inu/Kag
By: abercrombielvr07


Disclaimer: I do not, and never will, own Inuyasha. He and the group belong to the genius herself, and my hero, Rumiko Takahashi.

Thoughts of characters look like this: I love…

Enjoy the story and please comment. I want to know I’m appreciated for my hard work. If you think I can improve, please, let your thoughts be known.

NCA- No Cussing Allowed (for comments.)

ENJOY!
:D

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()- shows where the story cuts off or point of view changes or the end of the scene going to some other time or place or person, like one of these ******* (get it?)(I hope so)



()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Kagome Higurashi gazed up at the perfect, unpolluted, feudal Japan sky. To bad everything wasn’t perfect, though. She was so torn, should she stay here? Should she go back to her family? It had been a full two months since Naraku had been destroyed in the most gruesome way and three years since she had first met Inuyasha, such a long journey…They still had the jewel, and were still wondering the best way to purify it. So if you think about it, she had no reason to stay, besides him… He was the reason for her throat aches (you can imagine why), headaches, and heartaches. He was to blame for all of her fury, regret, and worry. It was his fault that she laughed, smiled, and fell in love. She rolled over on her stomach and started playing with a few pieces of green, velvety grass.
As she fiddled and picked at it, she spotted two little ants. One was carrying a rather large crumb and doing well with it. The other had a slightly smaller crumb, but was still struggling and falling behind. Then the one who could handle his load stopped and turned to scurry over to the other ant. It took the crumb from the weak ant and carried it along with his own. The weak ant obediently followed close, very close, to the strong ant.
They reminded her so much of herself and Inuyasha. The ants cared for one another and helped each other whenever necessary. And just like the strong ant did, Inuyasha always took Kagome’s mental and physical heavy weights and hauled them on his own strong shoulders. He simply told her not to worry, he could handle it, and he did. Maybe in sometimes awkward ways, but he tried. She sighed aloud and watched them disappear into the thick grass. Maybe they were feeding baby ants. If only she could be like those ants, no problems, no hard decisions to make. She never thought she would become jealous of something like an ant. Suddenly, a voice she came to cherish interrupted her babbling thoughts.

“Hey, Kagome, mind if I join you?” She looked up at him and smiled.

“Sure, if you don’t mind inspecting grass.” He gulped nervously and took a deep breath before saying,

“I kind of wanted to speak with you, actually.” She rolled over on her back and patted the soft ground next to her,

“Then let’s talk,” She said. He sat down beside the beautiful school girl and started playing with something in his haori.

“Kagome,” he started, “Kagome, I- uh, Kagome, I thought um…” He scratched his head, searching for the right words. The young priestess sat up and looked at him with curious eyes. He looked at her again and Kagome almost spotted fear or anxiety lurking in his mesmerizing golden orbs.

“It’s okay, Inuyasha, go on.” He regained some confidence and decided to keep going.

“You of all people know that I’m not the best with words or expressing how I feel, unless I’m expressing anger.” she giggled. She knew that all too well. He kept going.

“I’m just going to come right out and say it.” He removed the object from his red haori, “Kagome, I need you to stay here with me. Without you, Kagome, I’m lost and lonely, I can’t and don’t want to imagine life without you, you’re my world, I- I love you, with all of my heart.”

Kagome couldn’t believe it. What? Wait, this can’t be Inuyasha, can it? Was he seriously telling her he loved her? She didn’t know her feelings were mutual! She said the only thing that came to mind at the moment.

“I love you too.” On impulse, she leapt into his arms.

“So, you’ll stay?” he breathed into her hair. She broke the embrace and smiled at him.

“Of course I’ll stay.” He opened the mystery object and held it out for her. Inside was the most beautiful ring Kagome had ever seen. It was a simple, solid gold band. It was obviously ancient. He handed it to her; she was speechless as she gawked at the amazing piece of jewelry. She then noticed a little inscription on the inside of the band. It said in carefully carved and beautiful Japanese characters my love, Izayoi. She gasped and stifled a cry.

“It was your mother’s.” She whispered. “I can’t accept something this beautiful and precious.” He immediately responded.

“My father gave it to my mother a couple of days before he died, she treasured it more than anything, besides me, and before she passed away, she gave it to me and told me to give it to the woman I love. I was young and I didn’t understand what she meant, but I kept it nonetheless. I’m glad I did, because I understand what she meant now." Inuyasha chuckled and there was a twinkle in his beautiful eyes.
"Do you know that you remind me alot of her? You have her small stature and delicate bone structure along with mountains of beauty. And You have her stubbornness and feisty nature too. I remember when she used to fight with the other village mothers on my behalf. Of course she was a princess, so she didn’t have to do it much, but when she did, she always got her point across.”

“That makes it even more precious, I don’t deserve it.” Even though she said that, she was still holding the ring close to her heart.

“Kagome, it’s yours now, turn the ring and look at the other inscription.” She did as she was told and turned the ring. Sure enough on the other side of the inside of the band, there was another inscription. It read, my love, Kagome in the same beautiful characters as his mother’s was in. Her heart stopped in her chest. Before she could say anything, Inuyasha said.

“Totosai did both inscriptions; he can carve beautifully, can’t he?” Kagome could only nod her head. Inuyasha took the ring from her shaking hands and slipped it on her slender finger.

“Thank you so much, it’s beautiful, I love it.” she said in a voice drenched with emotion. His thumb was rubbing over the ring on her finger as he held her hand.

“I’m just glad I found someone worthy of giving it to.” She smiled at him.

“I’ll cherish it forever, and you.” He pulled her into his arms and listened to her tell him how wonderful he was. He pulled out until she was leaning back in his arms. He lowered his head and caressed her lips with his. She never thought of how soft Inuyasha’s lips would be until she finally kissed them. How could a fierce warrior have soft gentle lips? Maybe that was one of the quirks that came with being a demon? She didn’t care; she was too busy being overwhelmed.
The realization of being a mammal with lungs struck her as the need for oxygen became evident to her, so they eventually had to break for air. From the looks of him, Inuyasha could’ve gone much longer, but he was a demon and had to think of her human lungs and how weak they were compared to his. Her hand went to her heart to monitor the frantic pace it was now beating at but instead felt the ominous orb of pinkish purpleie (lol) that dangled around her throat. The same jewel that almost had Inuyasha killed. She pulled it out from under her sweater and asked.

“What are we going to do about this?” He stared at it and seemed to think about possibilities. His face immediately turned tomato red.

“What?” Kagome inquired.

“uh, well…” Inuyasha turned redder.

“We could always purify it on our-” He turned away, his face challenging his red haori.

“-our um, wedding night.” Kagome blushed a little, but not for long. She chirped,

“OK! Sounds good!” Inuyasha looked at her surprised, he was expecting a slap to the face. Obviously, he’d been hanging around Sango and Miroku way too much. Kagome took his hand and looked up at him. She smiled that smile that she saved just for her precious hanyou and nobody else.

“I love you Inuyasha.” He squeezed her hand gently and said.

“ I love you too, Kagome.” She gave him a peck on the cheek and he talked again as they walked hand in hand.

“you know, now that I’m of age, I get an inheritance from my parents. Sesshomaru told me about it now that we have a truce.” Kagome looked at him expectantly,

“Do you know what you inherited?” She urged him on. He smiled down at her.

“Oh, I didn’t get much, just…” *chirp *chirp… -insert ‘Jeopardy’ music here-

Kagome punched his arm

“Come on Inuyasha, you can’t just stop there! Tell me what you inherited!” He chuckled softly and said it in a whisper.

“Just the Northern Lands.” He said it as if he still couldn’t believe it.

“are-” Kagome breathed, “are you saying that,- wait, you’re the lord of the Northern Lands?” She asked in an incredulous whisper.

“Yeah.” he whispered back. She stopped walking.

“wow.” Was all she could say. They just stood there, silent. Then Kagome regained her senses and beamed at him.

“I’M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!” She embraced him and said. “m’lord!” She looked up and giggled with a playful twinkle in her eye. She then danced around him and sang,

“M’lord! M’lord! M’lord!” Inuyasha was astonished by how alike in looks, behavior, and energy she and Rin were. After about a minute and a half, Inuyasha finally grabbed Kagome by the back of her sweater. She looked like a little garden fairy with her bright eyes and that pretty smile on her gorgeous face.

“Are you going to bother me with that now?” He scowled in a playful manner. She thought about it a little, then made up her mind with a sweet little, “yes!”

“fine then.”

Inuyasha stared at her with an evil smirk, then started tickling her and said.

“Remember that now you’re a lady, m’lady.” She laughed uncontrollably as Inuyasha made a move for her ribs.

“AH! There’s a random demon attacking me!!” She continued laughing until she surrendered and promised Inuyasha that she wouldn’t make fun of him anymore. They were both on the ground, their faces flushed. Kagome said.

“ You know, I need to go back to my family and tell them goodbye.” Inuyasha snapped out of his OOCness and got stubborn.

“Nooo…. We need to go to the Northern Lands. It won’t rule itself.” Kagome frowned,

“But, I may never see them again, I have to say goodbye. Inuyasha, please?” She looked at him with puppy eyes.

“Kags, don’t do that. We dogs do not look like that. I find that look to be offensive.” She dropped the look, then gave him a peck on the lips.

“You do look like that, and thanks! I knew you’d understand!” She was wrong. He didn’t understand. What did he say to make her think she could go? She had already gotten up and started skipping towards the well. Thank goodness he was a demon. In a heartbeat, he was able to catch up to her. He leapt in front of her and she collided with him. It didn’t phase him at all, but she saw stars from the impact. Of course, Inuyasha spoiled the girl, so he hesitantly relented.

“You have one day. That’s 24 hours to gather what you need and say goodbye. If you take any longer, I’ll come over there and drag your butt home.”

Kagome wrapped her arms around his strong neck.

“This is home, isn’t it?” She asked into his chest. His arms went around her trim waist.

“Yeah, so you’d better come back to it on time.” Kagome giggled.

“I will, Dad.” She said mockingly. He snorted but still reluctantly let her go.

“I love you, Kags.” She stroked his defined jaw.

“ I love you too, Inuyasha. I’ll see you tomorrow.” She turned and walked to the edge of the well, sat on it, then turned around to wave at her handsome hanyou. He waved back. Kagome blew him a kiss, then turned and let gravity pull her into the well. With a blue flash, she was gone.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

The next morning, Miroku went out to find Inuyasha. He found him sleeping against the well with the Tetsuaiga in the crook of his elbow. Inuyasha obviously picked up on the scent of his best friend because one golden eye opened and two pearly, lethal dog fangs were exposed with a jaw cracking yawn. The first thing that came out of the young hanyou’s mouth was,

“Is Kagome back yet?” Miroku chuckled and sat down beside his adopted brother.

“can’t wait to see your beautiful miko, huh?” Inuyasha scowled at the houshi and said in good humor,

“What do you know, perv?” Miroku threw his head back with laughter,

“I know that I am seeing a different sort of light in your eyes, and it’s far from matching that scowl on your face.” Inuyasha smiled and looked up at the sky. Excitement overtook his features as he said,

“Yesterday, Kagome left right when the sun was directly overhead, she doesn’t have much longer in her time.” Miroku looked at the Inu-hanyou,

“Why don’t you just go get her now in great haste like you always do?” Inuyasha looked at the only man in his pack that would understand these matters, considering Shippo was only eight years old.

“Miroku, Yesterday I asked Kagome to be my mate, or to you humans, I asked her to marry me. I can’t bring her home early because she’s saying goodbye to her family, probably for good too.” Miroku got a big grin on his face.

“It’s about time. Congratulations my brother, She’s an extraordinary woman. I’m very happy for both of you.” Inuyasha smiled back at him.

“I only told you have of it, though. I still need to discuss my inheritance with you.” Miroku raised an eyebrow.

“You received an inheritance?”

“Yeah, I just turned of age to get it a couple of days after we destoyed Naraku. Since Sesshomaru and I are now on good terms, he told me thatI inherited the Northern Lands, now Kagome and I have a place to live and raise our children. Kagome and I would be honored to have you and Sango live with us. You could be an invaluable advisor and could still be a monk. Even though, this time you would be the official monk of the Northern Lands and Sango and Kagome have pretty much adopted each other as sisters, Kagome would love another woman’s presence in the palace.” Miroku got a wistful look in his eyes.

“And our future children will have play mates.” He said softly.

“Then we’re agreed?” Inuyasha asked. Miroku took his hand and shook it.

“Yes, Inuyasha, we’re agreed.”

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Aft er tearful goodbyes and lung-crushing hugs, Kagome’s family stood at the door and watched Kagome disappear into the magical well house that started so many wonderful and terrible things. They just stood there for a moment, waiting to see the blue light stream out of the windows and cracks in the old wooden walls. Nothing happened, there was silence. A blood-curdling scream cut deeply through the silence like a knife through butter. It was thick with agony and fear. It was Kagome.
Her family rushed to the well, fearing she had been stabbed by someone or, since she had experiences with feudal Japanese creatures, something. They found her at the bottom of the well, sobbing as hard as the spring rain falls and frantically digging a hole in the damp soil. They were too shocked to move as she screamed, “NO!”, over and over again at the top of her lungs. She finally stopped her paranoid digging after about 10 minutes but would not stop her high-pitched screams.
After a while, she slumped against the side of the old well and sobbed into her hands, all the while repeating, “Inuyasha, my love, why can’t I get to you? why has the well sealed off?… I need you, Inuyasha, I need you…” Her family mourned for Inuyasha and the death of yesterday’s bubbly, radiant Kagome. They feared the new Kagome, what would become of her?

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

 220;I knew she would be late!” Inuyasha complained as the sun was about to set.

“I’m going to get her once and for all, then at least all be able to say goodbye to Mama Higurashi and Souta.” Inuyasha had long began to think of Ms. Higurashi as his ‘mom’ ever since a year ago when she asked him to use the endearing term of ‘mom’ or ‘mama.’ She said she would always see him as a son, married to Kagome or not.

“Just don’t yell at her.” Warned Miroku.

“Yeah, Whatever!” The hanyou playfully yelled back. Miroku and Sango watched as their beloved brother jumped down the well to get his precious miko. They were waiting to see the blue flash signaling his departure, but nothing happened. Suddenly, a frustrated and panicked, “DAMNIT!” erupted from the well. Miroku rushed to the well, Sango in tow. They found Inuyasha at the bottom of the well yelling Kagome’s name and occasionally a “NO!” would be thrown into the mix of pleas and curses. He had Tetsuiaga fully transformed and began digging a hole that grew rapidly by the second, but even that wasn’t fast enough for him. He tossed his sword aside and ‘iron reaver soul stealered’ it.
He became desperate, so he tore open his own chest. With his claws drenched in his blood, Inuyasha threw multiple ‘blades of blood’ attacks at the wounded well soil. The attacks were useless. The realization sank in as he slumped against the side of the well that he would never see his Kagome again. No more kisses, no more tender hands to mend his wounds, no more constant worry over him, no more sweet giggles, chocolate brown eyes, no more optimism in times most unbearable, no more sunshine on a rainy day, no more protecting of a tiny school girl, no more fights, no more sits, no more Kagome… He couldn’t take it anymore, the tears he had kept locked up in his very being all those times he wanted to cry poured out over his face. Oh, the pleasure of crying after all these years, and of course, now.

Chapter 1- fin

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

AN- Well okay, what did you think? OK guys, I have all of this story written and finished except the last, like, 5 paragraphs. So! If you love this story, comment! Tell your friends, K? I love comments! And if you have some constructive criticism, please, feel free to voice your opinion! I want at least 3-5 comments before I post the next chapter, because, what’s the point in posting a story that nobody likes or reads, am I right? Well I love you all and thanks for reading!

Ciao!
Abercrombielvr07 <3

Have you read?

Abercrombielvr07’s story: Mornings With You…

(this is another perk, I might post one of your stories in the category: Have You Read? This category will be in every chapter of my stories in my AN, and if you comment first second or third, you are guaranteed to be in it!)

Kisses,
Abercrombielvr07<3