InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Didn't Know I Was Waiting For You ❯ First Impressions ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 2: FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Golden eyes glared back at him from the mirror. He hated doing this. The only reason he did was for appearance sake within human society. *If only the world wasn't moving so fast. If this was a hundred years ago, I wouldn't have to do something so degrading. Even fifty years ago it would have been a simple matter to completely recreate my next human incarnation.* A sigh escaped his perfectly shaped lips.

*Unfortunately my current persona can not continue for more than another decade before needing to be permanently retired. And with the way information is so easily gotten this day and age I have to actually work for my next incarnation. Soon Isawa Mirabu will pass from the business world and the underworld and his "son" will take over everything. Isawa Sesshoumaru will then control the Isawa business empire.* His eyes glinted wickedly in the mirror. *Let those who study gematria have fun with my name.*

Since he had to create his next incarnation and have a traceable past, he enrolled in Tokyo University. He was a business major with a minor in history. Of course since Isawa Mirabu was filthy rich his "son" Isawa Sesshoumaru had his own apartment. It was impeccably furnished, as was any domicile he stayed in.

He glared again at his reflection. His crescent moon on his forehead and the marks on his cheek needed to be covered. He began applying the mystically enhanced foundation and muttered the incantation. As he finished, his skin tone darkened slightly and became mark free. He washed his hands and prepared the colored contacts. He carefully put them on, being sure not to rip them. The expressionless brown eyed young man who looked back at him still had the long beautiful white hair.

Another barely perceptible sigh escaped his lips again. He picked up the enchanted comb and black liquid. He dipped the comb in the "dye" and then began to comb it through his gorgeous silky locks. All the while he muttered the spell of illusion. His tail retreated fully into his being and he dressed in a phenomenally tailored suit. A dashingly handsome young man with raven hair and cold brown eyes met with his disdainful approval in the mirror.

He nodded to himself. *The illusion will hold adequately. I have to give Shippo credit for coming up with such well made products for youkai.* He then turned from the mirror and stalked across his apartment to the front door. There were two hours before his first class and he had business to take care of. The morning gloom met him as he left his building. The scent of rain hung in the air along with the early morning exhausts. The combination of breakfast foods, exhaust and human sweat was nauseating. Sesshoumaru snarled at the morning and flowed rapidly away from his apartment.

The last three weeks had been strange. Kagome had moved in with Hojo. They were in a small two bedroom apartment about five minutes by bus from campus. This was to be Hojo's last year at University before going on to med school. Kagome was just starting University. They had secured this cozy little place with help from parents, stipends and part time jobs. Kagome also had her substantial University fund which her father had put together years ago.

Kagome would be living with her ex-boyfriend and the young man who'd been the heart throb for every one of her girlfriends back in high school. They were sitting together at breakfast. Their small table arranged with food, juice and newspapers. Hojo was reading as Kagome was lost in thought. Her mind was not on the handsome man across from her, rather she found herself remembering golden amber eyes and gentle arms. They ate quietly in comfortable silence only found between dear friends.

"You'll love University." He said suddenly. He was smiling warmly at her and Kagome shook off her musings.

"I'm sure I will. I just hope I do well."

"You will. Your spirit is very strong. Just look how well you did junior and senior year in high school."

She gave him a sweet gentle smile in thanks. He nodded and went back to finishing his breakfast. When breakfast ended they finished getting ready for their first day of the semester.

"It looks like rain today. We should both take umbrellas." Hojo said as he got two parasols from the hall closet.

Kagome put on her shoes and took her umbrella from Hojo, "Thank you Hojo-kun."

Even though they were no longer boyfriend and girlfriend, they walked close together to the bus stop. The morning was warm and muggy with the start of smog hanging in the air. Kagome leaned against the familiar presence at her side and he placed an arm around her. And as they walked her thoughts strayed as they did so often to why. *Why couldn't I love him the way he always hoped I would?*

They sat together on the bus. She rested he head on his shoulder and felt him give her a kind squeeze. *At times like these it feels so right. In moments like this I feel as if I could spend my life happily at his side.* Kagome smiled in contemplation as a confused sigh escaped her lips. *If only I could love him the way he loves me. When I told him I loved him like a brother and I didn't think it could ever be more he accepted it. We became such incredible friends after that. He trusts me so much.. even coming to me for a shoulder after the whole Rieko affair last spring. Poor Hojo doesn't deserve that kind of pain.*

She could feel dormant anger uncoil at the thought of Rieko. She remembered how happy Hojo had been when the romance started. Kagome had been very pleased that he seemed to be in love. Hojo and Rieko, a beautiful co-ed, had started dating in February and it had been passionate and consuming. Hojo had spoken of her with fire and claimed he was in love. They had even started to plan to get an apartment off campus this year.

But in the late spring Rieko started cheating on him. She then flaunted the fact in Hojo's face and treated him like shit before breaking up with him. He had become so depressed from the devastation that he actually started thinking about suicide. Kagome didn't let him. Her loving friendship slowly brought him out of his death-wish and he recovered himself.

She remembered the pain and dejection in Hojo's eyes during that time and her rage shuddered in an attempt to awaken. Kagome recalled the confrontation. She had gone to see Rieko and give her a good sized piece of her enraged mind and heart. What she found made the fire turn to cold icy fury. Rieko didn't give a damn about what she had done to Hojo's heart. In Kagome's mind the next minutes were a haze of red.

She remembered throwing the first punch and telling Rieko she'd pay pain for pain for what she'd done. When it was over Rieko was on the ground with a busted lip and two swelling eyes. There were other bruises which were less visible and she had fallen unconscious. Kagome remembered with satisfaction how Rieko had sported two black eyes for almost two weeks after that fight.

Hojo had already taken all the preliminary steps to get an apartment. Because Rieko was no longer even a possibility he asked Kagome to be his roommate. She shocked everyone when she said yes. Now as she leaned against her best friend she wondered yet again. *Why don't I love him?* Hojo nudged her out of her thoughts. They were at the university. They left the bus and headed for the buildings when a slight mist started to fall. Hojo smiled at her and opened his umbrella. She did likewise and they separated for their different classes.

Sesshoumaru had arrived quite early and chosen a seat high up in the back row. He was incredibly bored with the room before any other students began to arrive. They slowly staggered in sleepily. Sesshoumaru's contempt and violent aura kept them away from him. As the seats filled up, the ones directly in front and next to him remained empty. He allowed a cruel smirk to play his lips. Those nearest had subtle fear scents emanating off them. He enjoyed the privacy it afforded him.

He impassively watched the professor at he welcomed the class to Mathematics 200 Calculus I. The professor said he would do roll call and anyone not here today was going to be removed from the class. He also said he didn't care if you were in lecture or not but that there would be a pop quiz every week. He said the quizzes would not be in a regular pattern and that missing more than two of them would reduce your grade by one entire letter. If you had a good enough excuse he might let you make up the quiz by taking a much harder version.

The professor went on to start roll call. A name caught Sesshoumaru off guard. The professor had gotten to the h names and said a very familiar first name. The name was Higurashi Kagome. The slight form that answered was too far for him to catch a scent and because her back was turned he saw no features. He was curious because that name was so similar to `her' name. He was so lost in trying to figure out the mystery that he missed his name. The professor said Isawa Sesshoumaru and the Kagome figure jumped. She looked around for who was answering and because she did Sesshoumaru was able to calmly answer the professor.

Sesshoumaru kept his face expressionless as he responded. He watched Kagome indifferently as the girl looked at him. She took a few moments to assess him and then had an almost crestfallen look on her face as she turned away from him. Her reaction confused and annoyed him. She put her attention back on the professor and he wanted to snarl at her angrily. In fact a very low growl escaped his cold demeanor causing the fear level around him to increase.

He gained control and glared at the small form in the fifth row. *How dare she act like I, the Youkai Lord of the Western Lands, do not exist!? One does not react to I, Sesshoumaru, as one does a peasant. Foolish human will learn her place.* He startled himself with the thought. He hadn't had that type of thought in many years. There were very few humans who didn't instinctually fear him. *But I don't think it's her lack of fear that is enraging me. I think it's because of how much she is reminding me of Inuyasha's Kagome.* He found himself delving into her aura as the class wore on. *Her aura is very similar to the Kagome I knew. Perhaps this is another incarnation. Third time's a charm.* He internally smirked at the thought. He observed embarrassment and confusion in her aura as the class continued and wondered at it. He didn't push beyond the surface to hear her thoughts.

Kagome was having trouble focusing on the professor. *Why did I turn to look?* Kagome thought furiously. *Even if he was still alive, the great demon lord of the west would never be caught dead in a human university.* But for some reason she couldn't get Isawa Sesshoumaru out of her mind. The worst part was the way his cold brown eyes kept turning gold in her mind and his black hair white.

After lecture she gathered her things quickly and headed to the most basic history class she'd be taking. This was a class she had with Hojo and when she got there he waved her over. She remembered laughing when he told her he'd put off this required basic course until his final year. She gave him a very caring smile as she took a seat beside him.

"How's my favorite slacker?" she asked jokingly as she sat down.

"Fine. How was your first class?"

"Boring, but I loved it anyway." She replied.

Hojo smirked at her comment, "Calculus never gets any better, believe me. But I'm glad you're enjoying your first day so far." He put on an innocent smile and said, "You're going to help me pass this class right?"

She laughed slightly and replied, "You don't need my help." She then switched her tone to the husky joking tone they used with each other and placed a hand on his leg. "But I may need you help." She leaned in with just the right amount of suggestion in her eyes. He smiled impishly at her with laughter in his eyes and gave her a hug.

"You bet Kagome-chan." He said happily as he released her. Anyone who didn't know would think they were a young couple in love.

The sight that greeted him in his next class struck Sesshoumaru like a blow to the chest. He hadn't expected to see her in there and he most certainly hadn't expected her hand to be on a boy's leg. She also had a very alluring flirtatious look on her face. *She should not be looking like that at anyone!* He thought furiously and was surprised by the thought.

He caught himself. *What am I thinking? This isn't "her". She died over 400 years ago. This is just another incarnation; you decided that was the case in the last class. Similar look and aura, but she is not Inuyasha's Kagome, not your friend from so long ago.* He felt a strange sadness at that thought as he took a seat in the row behind the couple. He walked gracefully and descended to the seat a one does a throne. They were hugging as he sat. *Such affection as not appropriate in public.*

"I still can't believe you waited until you final year to take this class," Kagome said with laughter in her voice as she removed her hand from his leg.

"Well unlike some crazy girls," he pointedly looked at her, "I'm not obsessed with history."

She smiled warmly, "Obsessed my foot. You know as well as I do that those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." Kagome quipped the common sentiment at him. Sesshoumaru agreed with the statement, but he knew full well that humans continuously repeated histories mistakes.

As the boy was readying a retort, his voice stopped working. He had a look of surprise on his face. Sesshoumaru looked to where the boy was looking and saw another girl. An angry scowl flashed in his eyes. *How dare this fool look at another woman when he has Kagome sitting next to him* His sudden ferocity surprised and intrigued him. He glanced at Kagome, her aura concerned. Then he allowed himself to study the object of the boy's interest.

She was rather lovely if you liked the punk look. Her face was narrow and aristocratic. She had large dark cold brown eyes. Her skin was clear, although she wore quite a bit of make up. Her perfectly sculpted eyebrows were shaded purple and her pouty lips had dark red lipstick on them. To top off her look her hair was a long bob dyed a striking purple color.

Sesshoumaru felt Kagome's aura flare with rage, and was that hatred? He looked at her and saw her eyes were now boring into the purple haired competition. He respect for the latest incarnation went up a notch. With Kagome's fury burning her, the girl seemed to become aware of her admirers. She turned cold cruel eyes on Kagome and the boy she was with.

He voice was harsh, like an out of tune violin, "Hojo-kun, how good to see you." She approached with a dark glare in her eyes. "So you were as lazy as I was when it came to this oh so boring class." He voice was grating on the demon lord's sensitive ears and he felt a desire to shut her up, permanently. "And look if it isn't your little bodyguard." She sneered at Kagome.

He was about to grab her by the neck for disturbing his quiet spying and causing his ears to ring when Kagome stood up and captured the purple haired girl's eyes with her enraged gaze. Kagome's eyes swirled to the color of a stormy sea as she locked cold brown with flaring blue. "Rieko" the name was like a swear word as Kagome said it, "Didn't you get enough last spring?"

Sesshoumaru wondered why the Rieko girl didn't run in terror at the rage quivering in Kagome's voice and the death fire dancing in her aura. He put up a shield about himself to be sure she didn't burn him. *She's Miko trained. Definitely has to be the same soul. I've never seen a soul this powerful in anyone else but `her'.*

"Why whatever are you talking about?" She asked with a feigned innocent smile. While cruelty played in her eyes.

"You know perfectly well of what I speak," somehow even with the rage flowing through her being, her voice was deathly calm and cold, "I believe you wore the proof of it as two black eyes and a split lip." Sesshoumaru could almost detect a satisfied purr in Kagome's calm voice as she spoke of the damage done to Rieko.

Rieko's scent flared with shame and faint fear. She also began to radiate anger. Sesshoumaru felt pure disdain for her and wished her gone. He allowed his contempt for her show as he glared at her with unblinking eyes.

Rieko's fake smile vanished as she took a threatening step toward Kagome. Her step faltered as Hojo asked quietly in a hurting voice, "You're the one who did that Kagome?" Kagome's flinch made Rieko smile sadistically.

"I only did it because this heartless bitch felt no remorse for her cruelty and I can't stand sadists." She said quietly, yet firmly.

"You only won because you fought dirty and I wasn't ready." Rieko said hotly to Kagome.

"Believe what you will." Kagome sounded bored.

Rieko almost growled, "If you're not a complete coward, you'll meet me tonight at the sand garden at 5:00 for a rematch. If you don't show you automatically forfeit." She snarled her challenge at Kagome, causing Sesshoumaru to desire throttling her even more.

Kagome's clear powerful sapphire eyes caught Rieko's frozen shit ones again. "If I chose to accept this challenge and win you will give your word to never come near Hojo or myself again." her voice calm and controlled.

"And when I win, I get what I want from the two of you. First off you'll be my personal little lap dog at my beck and call and Hojo.. well I'll think of something." The grin was feral and the glint in her eye positively vile.

"Then I won't let you win, Will I?" Kagome said with a tone and posture that reminded Sesshoumaru of Inuyasha. *That's an Inuyasha attitude if I ever saw one. This Kagome is very strange indeed. And she certainly looks like my brother's Kagome, my friend Kagome.* Again he felt an odd sadness in his heart.

"Five o'clock sharp. If you're late or don't show.. I win."

"And if you are not there I win." Kagome finished smoothly. Rieko sneered and snarled once more before heading for her own seat.

Sesshoumaru flicked his eyes back to Kagome. As he watched the death fire faded from her aura and he saw her contain and control the rage. She than sat back by her weakling boyfriend. *Why does she stay with such a defenseless baka? Clearly she fought this Rieko girl before because of him.* He listened intently as they talked, keeping his mask of indifference in place.

Kagome struggled to control the unusual rage burning in her heart. Not since Naraku had she desired to harm another so much. *Rieko is another Onigumo, thank god Youkai are a thing left to myth and nightmares.* Kagome forced her breathing to calm and commanded her heart to slow. She gracefully lowered herself back down into her seat. The eyes she turned on Hojo were filled with concern. Her gentle cobalt eyes met his dark brown ones overflowing with questions.

"Why did you do that Kagome?"

"Because I couldn't allow such a vile heart continue to hurt you."

"But if you loose.." his voice was sad.

"I won't lose." Her simple conviction startled Hojo. She knew then that the fight with Rieko would end as it was meant to, as she had known that night when they made final preparations for facing Naraku.

"How can you be so certain?"

"Because I learned from the best and I will be fighting with my heart."

"I didn't know you took classes. I mean I knew about archery and kendo, but I didn't know you took martial arts." He said incredulously.

She laughed a little, "I didn't take any classes. I learned from a friend." She smiled at the memory of Inuyasha and Sango teaching her hand to hand.

"Really, who was it?"

"Inuyasha," she said before realizing her mistake.

"Who's Inuyasha?"

She looked into his eyes. Those soft brown eyes filled with love and curiosity. Kagome didn't want to hurt him, but she owed him as much of the truth as she could say. "He was my first love, but he passed on." She knew there was sadness in her voice. It still hurt to remember his loss to `Her'.

"Is that why..?" He couldn't finish the painful question.

"No, I don't think so. I think we were simply meant to be best friends, which is why I don't.." she trailed off unable to finish. Her eyes met his again and she smiled sadly, "Gomen Hojo-chan."

He put on a strong face and reached out a hand to take hers. "No need Kagome-chan," he returned the sad smile, "So long as I have your friendship and love on that level, I need nothing more."

Kagome leaned over and hugged him tightly. "Arigato Hojo-chan." She pulled back and smiled warmly, "Can you do me a favor?"

"Sure. What?"

"Go back to the apartment and bring my shinai to the sand garden at five."

"You intend to cheat?!"

"No! But she had the stance of a kendo student and should she bring a weapon I want to have the option open."

"Of Course Kagome-chan." Anything else to be said was cut off as the professor started class. Kagome managed to not turn around and look at Isawa Sesshoumaru when his name was said during roll call.

Ok.. for those who don't know..

Baka-idiot

Gomen-sorry

Gematria-the study of names(origins, ect)

Also for any who are into Legend of the Five Rings(RPG and card game) yes I did use family names from the game for Sesshoumaru I'll also do it for other characters in future chapters. I'll even use some names straight off the card game just because I'm not very good making up Japanese names.