InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Didn't Know I Was Waiting For You ❯ The Inukaze ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Okay... I guess I inadvertently lied about this taking a month or more to write. I was not expecting to be inspired so much after posting the last chapter, but strange things happen, ne? Okay here is the next chappy... again there is magic rituals and some lemon; again the lemony paragraphs are in full only on media miner. Hope you enjoy.

Disclaimer: Nope, still haven't located the copy write papers I had stolen by feline ninjas. I think they are buried in the litter box and I am not digging around in there so I guess I will never own anything.

AN: "character speech"

*Character thought*

~Character memory or flashback~

/Thoughts a character hears in their mind/

Chapter 18: The Inukaze

A soft layer of snow blanketed the contours of the university's sand garden. It was a thin coating only about an inch thick and pristine as only new snow can be. It was early January and the new semester had begun. In the lone enclosed space of the garden the snow was marred with footprints ending at a bench. A figure stood beside the powder covered bench dressed in a warm wool trench coat and scarf. His dark brown hair was held away from his handsome face by a black cord and his gold flecked emerald eyes glanced at the note in his hand. He wondered why the Lady of the Western Lands wished to see him, as a vassal of the lands and a kinsman of the clan he was honor bound to answer her summons no matter how strange they seemed to him.

Joshimuro recalled that strange morning when he had met the Lord and Lady in Sesshoumaru's office. He had worked in overseas operations for Isawa Industries for almost his entire adult life, nearly a century and a half. In all that time he had never been in Lord Sesshoumaru's presence before. He was a Hanyou, half human and half youkai. Even his youkai blood was mixed, half dog and half moth youkai. Sesshoumaru was well known for his dislike of half breeds and Joshimuro had never wanted to incur the wrath of the powerful demon lord of the West. He recalled the shock which had gripped him as he met Kagome that morning almost a full month ago, a human held the mark of the Western Lady.

The human mate of Lord Sesshoumaru had looked at him and said with a smile, "he is." Sesshoumaru had then questioned Joshimuro about his heritage and then welcomed him as Inukaze kin. Joshimuro was still surprised by Sesshoumaru's vow to destroy the Dakkunaga threat to the clan as well as the request for Joshimuro's aid in accomplishing this goal. In the time since that meeting Joshimuro had met with a number of the other Inukaze and had received a listing of all currently located clan kin.

Joshimuro, Usagi, and Makoto as well as a number of other kin had already begun clan networking. Everyone thus found agreed that they needed to become much more closely knit so that they could aid in protecting one another. They also wished to restore the clan to what it had once been after the Dakkunaga were dealt with. Joshimuro felt that this must be Lady Kagome's reason for wanting to meet with him, but he still felt the university sand gardens to be an unusual place for such a meeting.

Suddenly the hair on the back of his neck stood on end. He barely dodged to the side as an envenomed dart pierced the ground where he had just stood. He jumped up and quickly scanned his surroundings. He spotted the snake youkai with the blow gun. She stood poised in a tree outside the garden wall. She set the blow gun down and leapt from the bare branch into the enclosed garden.

Joshimuro silently cursed his lack of weapons. He was an artist with the sword, but his claws were highly inadequate. His moth blood dulled his claws and his human blood made them virtually useless. The snake circled him as she lengthened her poisoned fangs and allowed her neurotoxin to gather in her claws. She smiled, "For the rightful Lord I will end your pitiful existence." She sprang at him and slashed. She was faster, stronger, and better trained in hand to hand fighting. She quickly had him wounded and numbing with the deadly venom her clan was famous for. Joshimuro knew he would die from this trap.

_____________________

"Kagome, where are you going?!" called Hojo as Kagome darted out of archery practice.

Kagome didn't answer. She had not paused to put on her coat, nor had she relinquished her bow or quiver as she ran from the university dojo. Her long raven braid fluttered behind her as she ran. Her movements suddenly became a blur and her crescent moon blazed through her illusion spell as she summoned her youkai blood. Even without Kagura with her she still could call on the heart the wind demoness had granted her. She raced across the still glistening white coated University grounds toward the sand garden. Pointed youkai ears caught the sounds of battle and pain within the enclosed place of serenity.

Kagome drew a bolt and leapt high over the garden wall. Below her was a snake youkai poised to strike an Inukaze Hanyou dead. Kagome fired and purity rushed through the arrow as it sped into the snake's heart. The snake screamed as her youkai chi was shredded in a blast of pinkish-purple light. The Inukaze Hanyou whimpered in pain from the purity as well as his wounds before falling unconscious.

Kagome landed less than a second after her bolt hit the snake and she promptly fell on her butt as her footing slipped on the snow. She yipped slightly at the sharp sting of the cold hard ground. She ignored the pain as a deeper fear and need burned through her blood. She scrambled desperately to the Inu-Hanyou's unconscious form. He was badly poisoned and barely alive. Kagome knew he would be dead within minutes if she didn't do something fast.

Kagome quickly pulled off the shreds of his clothing and grabbed handfuls of snow. She released her youkai blood and reached deep within her center. She pushed the handfuls of snow to his wounds and focused the power flowing up from the Western Land's matrix of ley power into the pure snow. She leeched the poison into the snow and out of Joshimuro's nervous system. The snow pressed to his wounds turned a vile sickly green and melted into puddles around his body.

Kagome could feel his life force stop teetering at the edge of the abyss, but knew he was still in grave danger. She reached through her connection to the Inukaze blood and manipulated its flow within his body. She combined this manipulation with her purifying powers in a strange instinctual way so that the toxin was drawn to the surface. She then bled out the tainted blood. She could feel when the poisons were completely gone from his body.

Kagome felt his youkai life force as well as his human life force and knew that without treatment he would still die. His body just wasn't strong enough to heal from the trauma without aid. Kagome knew she had already leeched too much power from the lands and so she released the ley energy. She instead reached into her own reserves and force healed his body. She would not loose her new found kin. She poured her personal energy and laced it with her will so that the lost blood also came back with the internal organ parts that she regenerated. Power vibrated in the very air around the earth priestess as she healed Joshimuro. She collapsed onto the still unconscious Hanyou as her strength fled her. Snow began to fall lazily from the gray swollen sky.

______________________

Hojo still had a look of surprise on his face after a couple minutes. He had never seen that look in Kagome's eyes before, nor had he ever witnessed the type of speed she used as she ran from the dojo. Everyone had stopped practice to gossip about her sudden departure. Hojo was uncertain what was happening and when Sesshoumaru burst through the dojo doors less than five minutes later everyone stopped talking. The demon lord looked positively livid.

"Where is she?!" He yelled at Hojo. The terrified mortal could only point in the general direction of the sand gardens. Blood was seeping into Sesshoumaru's eyes and Hojo's blood ran cold. Sesshoumaru growled and nearly flew off in the direction Hojo had pointed.

Sesshoumaru had difficulty controlling himself. Intense fear gripped his soul as he raced toward where he could now smell lavender and blood. He had felt the energy being drained from the ley lines of his lands and felt Kagome's desperation flavoring the line of power controlling the energy. Her fear had stirred youkai instinct to a feverish pitch to protect her. And it was a good thing it had.

Sesshoumaru followed almost the exact path Kagome had in reaching the sand gardens. He too leapt the wall and the sight which greeted his eyes cause him to loose complete control of his fury. He roared as his power rolled off of him. Acid pooled in his claws and he attacked those which dared to touch she who was his.

The three snake youkai who had arrived to collect the miko and Hanyou barely had time to look up from their task as the youkai lord descended on them. One died instantly as his body was dissolved by the claw that tore him from neck to groin. One managed to dodge the other claw but was thrown into a tree by the force of Sesshoumaru's youkai chi. The third managed to dodge without injury behind a boulder.

Sesshoumaru roared in pure hatred and fury. He leapt into the air and smashed the boulder as he struck through the youkai hiding behind it. The youkai didn't even have time to scream in agony as its insides were dissolved by Sesshoumaru's acid. The rock shards melted under the drops which hit them. The other youkai was getting up from the base of the tree.

Sesshoumaru looked toward the still moving enemy. He leapt and landed with his fist through the tree as the youkai managed to dodge at the last moment. The tree dissolved to a stump as Sesshoumaru whirled on his retreating enemy. Sesshoumaru leapt again to attack his prey and this time he brought the snake down. He literally began to tear the youkai limp from limb.

A terrified squeak sounded from the entrance to the sand gardens. A manicured hand with black polish covered soft lips opened in a silent scream. Shit brown eyes were open in shocked fear. Dark purple hair fluttered slightly in the soft breeze as Reiko stood completely terrified and frozen in place.

Sesshoumaru spotted a purple haired enemy. He began to rush toward her. Suddenly pain lanced through his body as purity hit him in the back. He was less than ten feet from his quarry. His quarry had fainted as he rushed her. He turned with a growl of fury. A raven haired enemy in a dark violet miko outfit had her hand pointed at him. He allowed his acidic poison to rush into his claws again as he rushed this newest threat.

Kagome had to save Reiko even though she hated the bitch. Seeing Sesshoumaru's bloodied eyes told her everything she needed to know. She dropped her hands and took a submissive stance, revealing her mating mark. She felt Sesshoumaru stop before her and lower his head to her mark. He took in her scent and then wrapped his arms around her. "Arigato, my love." Kagome returned his embrace.

"Are you okay, Sesshoumaru?" Kagome asked as he shivered slightly.

"I attacked you," his voice was laced with shame.

"No you rescued me. You lost control and were attacking anything that appeared around your hurt mate. It was instinct, and anyway," she paused to pull away and look up at him, "I attacked you first."

Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow as he became aware of the slight burn of purity in his back. "I just noticed. Why did you attack me?"

"You were attacking a human as I came to." She pointed to the still unconscious Reiko.

"I have never lost myself so completely before; except when I was being controlled. I don't even know all of what happened. I recall seeing three snake youkai attempting to take you and Joshimuro away. After that everything went red until your scent filled my senses."

"From the damage I would say you killed the youkai and were about to kill Reiko when I woke up. The only thing that I could think to do to stop you was to get your attention on me by attacking. Gomen for the back pain." She smiled sheepishly at him.

"So long as you are safe, that is all that matters. Though I do want to know what happened." Sesshoumaru said as he pulled her back into his embrace.

"We will find out, but first we need to get Joshimuro somewhere safe and I need my coat. Before that though I need to wipe Reiko's memories of this and you need to get a clean up crew here ASAP as well. This place is a mess and a sure violation of the treaty." Kagome pulled away again and walked over to Reiko.

Sesshoumaru made a call to his cleaners and then looked down at the Hanyou. Joshimuro's aura crackled with Kagome's energy and Sesshoumaru could see that she had healed him. He then looked back toward his mate kneeling beside a girl she hated, no she didn't hate Reiko she just really did not like the bitch. Sesshoumaru wondered if Kagome was even capable of hate. He watched her aura glow as she chanted a spell of forgetfulness. He was very proud of his mate and very glad he had arrived in time to save her from the Dakkunaga. They would pay for this insult and they would pay dearly.

__________________________________________________________

----------------------------------------------------------

__________________________________________________________

Kagome straightened her traditional miko clothing nervously. While it was true that she had met each and every youkai and Hanyou she was about to speak to, she was still nervous speaking to large crowds. After the attack on Joshimuro, Sesshoumaru called an emergency assembly of the clan. Kagome was going to be the primary speaker because she was the one who had the connection to the Inukaze blood. She was the one who could be and would be a link between all members of the clan.

The assembled consisted of twenty-five full blooded youkai and seventy Hanyou. Everyone had Inukaze blood to some extent in the audience, some quite a bit less than others. The room quieted as the regal clan lord stepped to the podium. He looked over his clan and silently asked the Kami for strength to lead them to victory. "I thank each of you for coming here this night. I realize I gave incredibly short notice for this gathering, but it is a very important meeting. Your Lady will address you now and then we will open the floor for discussion." He turned to Kagome and said, "Kagome..."

Kagome stepped up to the podium and looked at her kin, her responsibility. She took a deep breath and began, "Two days ago the Dakkunaga nearly succeeded in killing Joshimuro and kidnapping me." There were quiet gasps around the room. "They sent Joshimuro a summons made to look like it came from me asking him to meet at the university sand garden. When he was waiting a snake assassin used a poisoned dart to try to kill him. She missed and engaged him in hand to hand combat. Joshimuro was badly wounded and heavily poisoned."

Kagome paused for a breath, "I was in archery practice at the time. As everyone here knows I have a sense of the Inukaze line. I was able to identify the blood in your veins when I met each of you. This connection is stronger than anyone first realized. When Joshimuro was attacked I felt intense fear and a general direction of where he was. I was able to reach him before the snake killed him and I shot her with a purifying arrow.

"Joshimuro was badly poisoned by her neurotoxin and normal venom. He also had major internal damage from the fight. I was able to use the power of the Western lands ley line matrix as well as my own reserves to remove the poison and heal his body. This knocked me out and left both of us vulnerable. While we were out cold three other snakes arrived to abduct us. Sesshoumaru arrived in time to kill them and rescue us.

"This bold trap nearly brought down the tentative network we have been building. I for one do not intend to allow them to destroy what we are creating. The connection I have to each and every one of you is an advantage which we can use. I have been researching constantly since the attack and believe I have a way of tying all of us together." The audience gave a collective gasp.

"How?" called out a female voice form the crowd.

"It would be a ritual similar to the one which gave me the connection to the clan in the first place. It would also tie everyone into the matrix of ley power as well. My lord and I have already begun the rituals to renew the Western Lands, but they are still weak and have been weakened by my use of ley power to save Joshimuro's life. If we are going to stop the terror the Dakkunaga bring against us we cannot stoop to their level of dishonor.

"To keep us in the proper frame of honor and rightness, we cannot turn this into a true blood feud. We have to protect one another and kill those who are directly responsible for the crimes against our clan, but we cannot do what they have done. We cannot blame their entire clan for the blood they have shed." She watched the stunned and angry looks flitter across the faces of the audience. She knew that every single person there had lost loved ones to the Dakkunaga.

"Before you become angry at me let me tell you why we cannot become what they are. First off a prophesy has been given which warns that revenge and death will only bring defeat and death to us. That same prophesy also said that understanding and keeping sight of our goals will bring strength and victory. There is also the matter of honor. The Inukaze has always been an honorable clan. To seek destruction of the innocent is not honorable, no matter the blood in their veins."

"But the innocent were left alive before and look what it has brought to the clan!" This was said by one on the few full blooded Inu-youkai left of the Inukaze clan.

"That is true, but that is also false. Their lives were spared but the innocents still suffered. The Dakkunaga became outcasts and hated within the lands they had always called home. They became viewed with intense suspicion and soon they blamed the only outlet they had for their misfortune. They blamed the Inukaze. A cycle of hatred was created in their hearts and has never been healed. This time we must make sure that does not happen. This time the innocents must not suffer, for if they do the Inukaze will only have this darkness descend again in a few centuries."

Joshimuro stood up and spoke, "I believe the Lady Kagome has a very valid point. I am sure every Hanyou present can agree with me that when you feel you do not belong and have no one to turn to you feel anger burning inside you. That anger causes you to lash out at those who you see as the cause of your pain. Sometimes that anger can consume you and destroy what good you posses, making you into something no one would recognize. If this is what happened to the Dakkunaga innocents from the great battle three thousand years ago, is it any wonder that they lash out so venomously?"

"Eloquently spoken Joshimuro, arigato," Kagome smiled at the Inu-Hanyou whom she now had an even stronger awareness of than before. "I believe that if we approach this in every defensive way we can; we can destroy the ones responsible for the war against the Inukaze. I also feel that a defensive stance will bring us into an acceptable accordance with those who are untainted by the fanatical hatred the Dakkunaga feel for us."

Yaru stood and said, "What is it you propose for us to do than Miko? Should we sit back and wait until they come for us? Should we give up now and go back into our hiding places waiting for them to kill us? I refuse to become a fugitive in my homelands again. I received a promise from the Lord of my clan and I expect his Lady to back his promise. The Dakkunaga will pay for what they have done to this clan."

Sesshoumaru could feel anger within him, but remained seated and still as Kagome responded. "The guilty shall pay. They shall go to whatever hell or purgatory they have made for themselves with their actions on earth. But the innocent will be spared and will be healed in heart and soul. I intend for each and every one of you to develop the type of awareness that I possess. I want us to be able to gather our clan together and become a strong family that cannot be broken by petty jealous fools who blindly seek destruction. I intend for us to set traps for them as they have done for us. I intend to ensnare the guilty and end their miserable hate-filled lives. I intend for us to achieve victory with honor and compassion."

"There is no compassion in war!" Yaru exclaimed angrily.

"Then maybe it is time there is Yaru-san. Maybe it is time for compassion to rule our actions. Perhaps mercy is the only path we have open to us which will not damn our souls to the depths of hell." Kagome felt a calling deep within the Western Lands and opened herself to it. She let it spread through her soul and heart. She felt the power that was uniquely hers to command.

"My friends and kinsmen let me now show you the path we must take if we are to succeed in our endeavor." Kagome became a channel for the power of the Western Lands. The magic which had lain dormant since the time of Inu'suta poured through Kagome and became laced with her pure heart. The compassion and forgiveness which she was capable of flowed from the depths of her heart and soul. It captured the spirits of every Inukaze in the audience and was magnified. It spread beyond the room to touch every soul on earth which shared a drop of Inukaze blood. The moment lasted only seconds, but in that time the Inukaze understood that they could win with Kagome and Sesshoumaru as their leaders.

_______________________________________________________

-------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________________