InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Do ❯ Chapter 1

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: These characters and such, are the product of Takahashi’s brilliant mind. I do not own them, nor would I be posting this on a fan fiction site if I did, obviously. But, just for the record, if I could get away with claiming them as mine - I totally would. :D


Chapter One: Business Is Hell

It had been a year - an entire year. Kagome sighed, staring at her reflection in the pristine mirror as she brushed her hair absentmindedly. Two bright, brown eyes gazed back calmly; brown eyes that would, soon enough, be covered by the beautiful white veil of a bride. The shock of the idea seemed to bleed the color from Kagome’s face. She was marrying the very boy that, at her first day in college - around this time the previous year - she was struggling to avoid. Who would’ve thought?

‘Surely not Inu-yasha.’ Kagome thought to herself, setting the brush down a little more forcefully than she had intended. She had sworn to push him from her thoughts, to forget about the other world - her other life- down the well back home at the Higurashi Shrine. Unfortunately, such a task was easier said than done. Kagome turned her attention back to the mirror with a frown. Not a single day had passed that Kagome had not thought of Inu-yasha and the others - her dearest friends, whom she had left behind in the Feudal era. Alas, her regret of leaving was never enough to give her the courage to return - and as every year passed, the idea of returning grew to a nearly mortifying concept.

What would Sango say? Miroku? Shippo? Kagome attempted to push their smiling faces from her mind. Her once best friends must now loathe her. A heavy, sinking feeling overwhelmed Kagome. It was the mundane days like these that drew her to such thoughts, that led her back to the memories she tried so hard to suppress - at least, that’s what she told herself. As soon as Hojo returned, Kagome would be able to push the thoughts of Inu-yasha’s final embrace from her mind. And yet - something about the eyes staring back at Kagome from the mirror suggested otherwise.

-

“Late! I’m going to be la - “ The wavering signal broke, and Kei snapped the phone shut angrily. He’d already been away for two weeks - living from one airport to the other. Kagome was bound to be frustrated with his being gone so near to their wedding date. There was plenty left to be planned, after all.
‘Business is hell.’ Kei though with a sigh, glancing around yet another unfamiliar airport. Kei smiled at the beautiful, blonde woman who had been shooting him suggestive glances for quite some time. ‘I take that back, Business is hell sometimes.’

Removing the gold band around his finger and tucking it into his pocket as he approached her, Kei smiled in an almost seductive manner. “Excuse me, ma’am, would you happen to know where the bar is?” One look at Kei’s expensive suit, and the woman was swooning. “Why, yes. How about I show you?” With a flirtatious grin, she led the way.

“I’m Evelyn, by the way.” The woman offered her hand, as they made their way towards the bar. Kei considered merely shaking it, but the sultry stare she had fixed him with had given him a good idea of what exactly this woman wanted - and Kei was fairly certain it wasn’t just a gin and tonic. The two stopped walking as he took her hand in his, brushing his lips against her knuckles.

“I’m Kei, and it’s quite a pleasure to meet you, Evelyn.” Shooting another smile at the attractive woman beside him, he began walking again. Evelyn followed an instant later. Kei came to the end of the corridor, noting the large sign on the wall. “Lodging, lodging. Hmmm. Left.” He thought aloud, scanning the sign. Evelyn made to turn right, but Kei veered left with a confident stride. “But, the bar is in the other direc- “ Evelyn began stupidly. Kei stopped abruptly, turning around to gaze at her with that same seductive smile. “I know.” He replied simply. Evelyn giggled. “Oh, you’re so bad.”

-

Kagome glared at her phone, before chucking it onto her bed with a dismal look on her face. Another lost signal, another early goodbye - another week or two before she’d even lay eyes on her future husband. Her mother and grandfather had been so happy to hear the news. Thrilled, even. She was attending college, and had chosen the respectable son of a huge corporation’s owner to be her husband - what more could they ask for?

Kagome sat on the edge of the bed, clasping her hands together and letting them rest in her lap. She bit her lip nervously as thought of the wedding came to her mind again. Inu-yasha’s face floated through her thoughts for the hundredth time that day, and she shook her head with frustration. ‘It’s only been a year Kagome, it’s no wonder you still think about him so much.’ She tried to assure herself, but failed miserably, ‘Even if it’s when you think about your wedding that you think about him the most…’

Kagome stood up abruptly, as if to leave the thoughts of Inu-yasha behind. With her brows furrowed, she frowned deeply. “I am getting MARRIED.” She said loudly, confidently, almost as if convincing some unbelieving friend. But she was alone in the room, and there was no one to object to the concept. It seemed there was still one person to convince, however - Herself.

Leaving the bedroom, Kagome looked around. The two bedroom and full bath apartment was more than she could’ve hoped for, as a college student. Having a fiancé with a rich father, and a great job at his rich father’s company, did have its perks. Kagome peered into the full fridge. She was still getting used to the idea of having hot, running water whenever she wanted it. ‘The hot springs weren’t that bad…’ A voice called from the back of her mind. She slammed the fridge door, straightening up. “Enough.” She commanded herself. “Just stop thinking about Inu-yas- “ The phone rang, interrupting her.

Kagome raced into the bedroom, raising the phone to her ear eagerly. “Sorry, bad connection, darling. You know how airports are.” She was surprised to find herself disappointed to hear Kei’s voice on the other end of the line. Who had she been expecting? “I’m just getting a room for the night, and I wanted to call and tell you that I’ll be in meetings until late, so don’t bother trying to get a hold of me.” Kagome felt the familiar sense of suspicion creeping into her thoughts. “Oh, that’s too bad, I wanted to talk a bit about the wedding.” She replied, putting a little too much emphasis on the final word.

On the other end of the country, Kei rolled his eyes, unnoticing of her tone. Naïve little Kagome. At least he didn’t have to worry about her ever really questioning his long nights at the office. “Well, you know, when the boss says be there, I have to be there. But I love you, and I’ll call you first thing tomorrow, okay?” Kei winked at Evelyn, who lay under the covers watching him with eager eyes. “Okay, I love you…“ Kei snapped the phone shut “ …Too.” Kagome’s eyes began to sting as she set the phone down gently beside her. She hugged herself slightly, trembling despite the warmth of the room. She turned from the bleak, hardly furnished bedroom, eyes blurry with tears. It’s bareness reminded her too much of the hollow feelings welling up inside her.

-

Ree: Well, there it is. The very first chapter. This story is an idea I’ve been toying with for quite some time. I initially intended on making it an AU, but I figured the history shared between Kagome and Inu-yasha would spice things up a bit. With any luck, it was an enjoyable beginning to what I hope will become a fine story. Tell me what you think. Constructive criticism is always helpful, so please feel free to review honestly. Thanks for reading and expect updates soon.