InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There For You ❯ New Beginnings ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 20: New Beginnings
 
**********
 
The remainder of the week quickly passed by. Thankfully, no further incidents or “bear attacks” occurred. The last morning arrived and the campsite was a flurry of activity. The guys were busy taking down the tents while the girls were packing the vehicles.
 
“Why is it that I seem to leave with more stuff than I came here with?” Kagome looked at her sleeping bag ruefully. There wasn't any room in her car for it.
 
Sango laughed. “I can take it back for you Kagome. We've extra room with most of the food gone. You bought all those souvenirs, remember?”
 
“I didn't think I bought that much. Besides, they will make great Christmas gifts.” Sango only shook her head and grabbed Kagome's sleeping, stashing it in Miroku's car.
 
“Hey Kagome, this must be your flashlight. Koga has ours.” Ayame tossed Kagome her flashlight.
 
“Thanks Ayame. Sota would kill me if I lost his flashlight.” She turned and looked about the campsite. “It looks like we've gotten everything. Everyone on cleanup detail!” After handing out sacks to everyone, they scoured the site looking for any small pieces of trash or papers that were left lying around. Kagome and Miroku both were taught that you left your campsite in better shape than it was when you arrived. A short time later, trash was discarded and everyone was ready to go.
 
“It has been a really fun week. Thanks for inviting us! We will see you guys next week.” Ayame gave Kagome and Sango hugs while Koga watched from the van.
 
“Bye guys. We'll see you on campus!” With a wave, Koga and Ayame headed home. The others soon followed. Kagome was sad the trip was almost over, but she was excited thinking about taking a hot shower.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~
 
“Ahhh, that sure does feel good!” Kagome stepped out of the shower and put on clean clothes. “It is nice wearing something that doesn't smell like bug spray or smoke.”
 
Drying her hair, Kagome opened the door and headed downstairs. “Shower's open.” Inuyasha gathered his things, kissing Kagome as he passed her.
 
“It's about time! I thought you were going to stay there all day. Did you leave me any hot water?” He grinned at her before hurrying into the bathroom. Kagome sighed and headed into the kitchen to figure out what to do for dinner.
 
“There isn't much here. Mom, grandpa and Sota will be home tomorrow. I guess I could go to the store, but I'm too tired.” She went back into the living room and flopped down on the couch. Kagome turned on the television and found an old black and white movie that she quickly got lost in. She squeaked in surprise when Inuyasha plopped down beside her.
 
“What do you want to do for dinner? Your mom didn't leave anything here and I really don't feel like going to the store. I am going to need to eat soon, or we may have another `bear attack'.” Kagome stifled a giggle.
 
“How about ordering pizza? I agree with you in that I don't want to go anywhere tonight.”
 
Inuyasha nodded. “Sounds good to me.” He placed the order and returned to the couch. Snuggling up with Kagome, Inuyasha watched the movie until he fell asleep.
 
A short time later, Kagome woke Inuyasha with a piece of pizza. “No bear attacks here.” Inuyasha growled playfully at her before they dug into the pizza.
 
~~~~~~~~~~
 
“Mom, it's not like I am moving across the country! I am only going to be twenty minutes across town!” Kagome finished packing her clothes into her car.
 
“I know, dear. It is just that you won't be living here any longer. I am going to miss you. Promise me that you'll call me on a regular basis.” Her mother handed Kagome a box with photos and small knickknacks.
 
“Of course I'll call. We will probably come by for dinner a couple of times a month.” Finally getting everything loaded, Kagome turned to her mom. “I don't know what I am forgetting. If I can figure it out, I will come by later.” She gave her mom a hug. Mrs. Higurashi embraced her daughter, trying to hold back the tears that threatened to fall.
 
“Okay then, if you need anything, give me a call. Take care, dear.” With a sad smile, Mrs. Higurashi stepped back as Kagome hopped into her car.
 
“Bye mom! I need to get going or Inuyasha will beat me there.” Inuyasha had taken the train back to Kaede's the day before. He was picking up his repaired car as well as the things he'd need for school. Waving farewell, Kagome headed for the university campus.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
After checking in and getting her room assignment, Kagome started unloading her car. As she trudged up the three flights of stairs, she grumbled to herself about the lack of elevators. `At least I don't have to worry about staying in shape.' Upon reaching the 3rd floor, she managed to find her room number. It was quite easy as she could hear her roommate, Sango, singing to the radio.
 
“Hey Sango, you're here already! Kagome dropped her load on the unclaimed bunk bed.
 
“Hi Kagome! Yeah, I got here a couple of hours ago. You need any help?”
 
“Please! I swear my legs are going to give out on those stairs!” Flashing an understanding smile, Sango followed Kagome down to her car. “Have you seen the others yet?”
 
“Yep. Miroku is here already. Koga and Ayame came in this morning, but they've got an apartment in town. They said that they'd meet us for dinner.” Grabbing several boxes, Sango helped Kagome unload her car. It only took the girls two more trips to haul everything up to their room.
 
Flopping into the desk chair, Kagome took a quick look around the room that she and Sango would call home for the next year. There was a set of bunk beds - Sango had claimed the top bunk, two desks with chairs, two dressers, two bookshelves, and two small closets. The room also held a sink and medicine cabinet.
 
Kagome plugged in the mini refrigerator that her grandfather had gotten her and Sango put the microwave and coffee pot on top. Sango's television and DVD/video player sat on top of her dresser.
 
Miroku came in after knocking on the open door. “Hello Sango, my love. Hi Kagome. Do you need any help unpacking?”
 
“Oh, nice! Now you show up after we have everything up the stairs.” Sango glared at him.
 
“Of course! I planned it that way. I can actually see you ladies from my dorm room.” Miroku pointed at the dorm across the street. “We are on the 4th floor right across from you.”
 
“Oh no! Kagome, we will have to be sure to keep the curtains closed! No peep shows allowed!” Miroku pouted and ducked as Sango threw her pillow at him. Kagome laughed as she finished putting away her clothes.
 
“Hey guys, Inuyasha just pulled up. He's rooming with you, right Miroku?” Kagome turned from the window and headed for the door.
 
“Yep. I guess I should go and offer to help him unpack.” The three friends made their way down to where Inuyasha was starting to unload his car.
 
Sneaking up behind him, Kagome wrapped her arms around his waist. “Hey there sexy. You new around here?”
 
“Inuyasha spun in her arms and kissed her. “Yeah, I'm new here, but I already have the most beautiful girl around as my fiancée.” Kagome blushed and kissed him back.
 
Miroku coughed in the background. Inuyasha and Kagome broke apart and both sported blushes. “Do you need some help?” Inuyasha didn't say anything, just picked up his duffle bag and tossed it to him. Sango and Kagome both loaded their arms, while Inuyasha got the rest. They would be able to take everything up in one trip.
 
“Hello, Inuyasha. Long time, no see.” Inuyasha turned to look for the voice. Behind him stood a dark-haired woman with a cold smile on her face.
 
Inuyasha dropped the bag he was carrying and growled. “Hello Kikyo.”
 
***************
 
TBC