InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Love You, My Mortal Enemy ❯ Prologue: The Vow ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]







“I have to find her! If I lose her I would never be able to forgive myself. I told her I would protect her!” The hanyou made a leap for the next cliff, his country‘s capital in flames below. Rage came off of him in waves as he sped through the smoke that poisoned the air. “Damn it! I can’t smell her!” Frustration coated his words.

Demons came at him suddenly from a cave, his sword pulsing in response. “Let them know my wrath Tetsusaiga…” the hanyou whispered venomously, “WIND SCAR!” As soon as they had come, the hoard of demons was gone. He continued forward into the cave, determined to find his love.

“She better be alive.” The mere thought of loosing her made his heart clench and a low growl rise from his throat. “I’m coming my beloved, please hold on.” He was desperate. It’s to be expected since he is a hanyou, casted out of both the demon world and the human one. The only reason he was alive was because his father loved his mother deeply, even though she was human.

A small light was visible in the distance. This registered in his mind and he sped up, his red kimono dancing around him, like blood against his silver hair. “This aura… It’s so strong.” He was almost to the small room at the end of the cave when he was repelled, crashing into the cave wall. “What? A barrier?” The half demon’s fists clenched in rage. “How dare they try and keep us apart!” his scream echoing around him.

Tetsusaiga pulsed again, only this time the half demon’s sword shined red. With the swing of his sword, Tetsusaiga’s wind scar ripped through the ground once again, shattering the barrier that blocked the half demon and his love from being together again.

He could smell her now. But, something was off in her scent, almost like she wasn‘t completely there. Then he caught the sent of it. Blood. “I’m coming my love! Please hang on!” he cried desperately once more. She is injured, he thought, there will be hell to pay for this.

But, his pleas for her to hold on were in vain. His love, the only one he wanted, was lying on the floor of the small room in a pool of her own scarlet-black blood. She saw him enter, running towards her. She felt his arms around her, holding her to him. “My love…” was all she whispered before her heart stopped and her body fell limp in her lover’s arms.

His eyes widened in fear as he felt her spirit pass into the Underworld. The half demon was silent, slowly rocking his beloved in his arms tightly. An eternity seemed to pass. “My love…” he whispered, “Your death shall be avenged.” He kissed her cold, dead lips on last time before taking her back to his castle. She was his and she will be buried away from all of this blood shed.
The sun was setting as the Emperor and his Empress stood by the trees in silence for their son. The half demon stood at the grave where his love rested. She was gone, dead for only and hour. But, he shed no tears of sorrow.

“My son,” his father asked, “what shall you do now?” The Empress sensed something wrong in her child, as did her mate. Neither of them moved from their spot over by the woods that surrounded their palace.

Their son’s fists clenched, his nails drawing blood. “I will kill those who killed my love. I will have revenge on their entire race,” he growled. He was bitter, and his mother knew it.

“My darling, I sense your pain, but you are half human. Please, think rationally about this. Are you willing to wipe out the race that makes up half of you?” the Empress questioned, her face contorted with her son’s anguish.

A loud and angry growl escaped the hanyou’s lips when he turned around to face his mother. His eyes were no longer the deep amber his mother was used to, but a deep red with a blue iris. “My son! You have never bared your fangs at your mother!” the Emperor moved in front of his mate growling at his son.

“My human half is dead along with her. This damn war will go on for all eternity until I am reunited with her in either this world or the next,” their son growled. Knowing that there was indeed no hope to end the war that had claimed so many even if their son found peace, the Emperor and Empress left their son to wallow in his grief and regain control over his demon blood, boiling with rage.

The sunset was at it’s last seconds when the half demon fell to his knees. His face was hidden with the ever encroaching darkness. For a few moments he stayed there, his back facing the darkening sky and his hands clutching the grass like his life depended on it. Then, with the last of the sun’s rays, the hanyou lifted his upper body towards the horizon and screamed, releasing his anguish. “KIKYO!” Finally, his eyes returned to their natural amber state, and he collapsed.