InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'm safe at home... aren't I? ❯ The Robbers ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'm safe at home… right?

Chapter one: The robbers

Kagome sighed in satisfaction as she curled up on the couch. With a bowl of popcorn, her favorite movie, and no Inuyasha or Jewel shards to worry about for a few days, she was able to relax without worrying.

After a few minutes, though, she began to get restless. It had been so long since she had been able to relax, she mused, that she couldn't adjust to not having annoying voices in her ears. `No,' she told herself. `I am going to enjoy this little time I have to myself.' She defiantly pulled the soft fleece blanket around her tighter and settled down into a cozy corner of the couch. As she closed her eyes for "just a minute", Kagome wondered what her friends were doing at the moment.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Curse her, when is that wench coming back?!" Inuyasha growled from his high perch up in a tree near the village. Kagome had been gone only a few hours, but the inu-youkai already felt the hours stretching into days.

"Patience, Inuyasha." Miroku's voice filtered up from his seat below the branches. "I know you miss Kagome, but you will have to wait the appointed three days for her return."

"MISS?! I don't miss that bitch, baka! I'm just bored, and I want to go shard-hunting," the half-demon yelled.

"Then find something to do!" the monk called, wriggling to find a better position closer to Sango… His hand crept closer to her backside, when

THWAP!

Miroku fell back, this time with a red handmark on his face and a seething taijia.

"Houshi-sama!" she yelled. "Do that again and I'll tell Koga that you felt up Kagome! I'd like to see him pound you into the ground!"

"Sango… you don't really mean that?" the monk whimpered.

"Yes, I do!!"

Yells drifted up to Inuyasha's dog ears, and he snorted and rolled over on his branch. Koga. That bastard was always trying to steal Kagome.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Kagome woke up when a crash shattered her dreams. "What the-" she murmured, throwing off the blanket and sitting up. She groaned when she looked at the TV and saw the end credits. "Aaw… I slept through my movie!" She froze as she heard voices filtering into her living room. Getting up cautiously, she peeked around the corner into the front hall. Kagome gulped back a scream; three thick, muscled men were in her house! Oh, Kami… she had forgotten to lock the doors!

She looked at them, trying to memorize their features so she could sneak upstairs and call the police. The tallest had blond, shaggy hair and a thick moustache. The next had short, slicked-back brown hair, and the last was bald with a black beard. Turning to sneak up the stairs, the first step creaked loudly.

She froze as the three men whipped around and saw her! Kagome screamed and ran for the back door. The men followed, shouting words that, to her, were incoherent. She raced out the door, the men close behind her. Kagome's only thought was to reach the well; her friends could protect her if the men followed.

Lost in her panic, she didn't hear the biggest man gaining on her until he tackled her, bringing her to the ground.

The other two caught up and proceeded pummeling her, once in a while their rings or watches cutting up the skin on her face. When Kagome could take it no more, she cried out, "Stop! Please…" She flailed her arms and legs weakly, but to no avail. They continued as her vision clouded. As they pulled out three deadly-looking knives, she slid into merciful darkness.

~*~*~*~*~*~

She woke to murmuring voices. Her body hurt all over, and she struggled to remember what had happened. With a shock of fear to her heart, she recalled, and opened her eyes to see where she was. Suddenly remembering the last thing the men had done, she gingerly felt for any serious cuts. When she reached her left arm, she gasped. Wincing as her fingers touched fresh blood, she whimpered.

Thankfully none of the men had Inuyasha's hearing, otherwise they'd know she- oh, god. Inuyasha. He was going to freak when he found out about this… especially her left arm. Reminded of her arm, she risked a quick glance at it.

Damn… it was a slashed mess. She wouldn't be able to use it for a week. But that wasn't what mattered right then.

Kagome tried to lift her head and see where she was, then gasped as a pounding pain in her head filled her senses. The voices came into focus as she quivered in pain.

"What'll we do with her?"

"I don't know."

"I thought the original plan was to rob the house!"

"It was, but she wasn't supposed to be here!"

It was silent for a moment, then Kagome felt one of the men walk past her. She shut her eyes. It was better if they didn't know she was conscious.

"Hey, come look over here in this little house!" a gruff voice called excitedly. The other two walked past Kagome… into the well-house!

"What is it?" one of the men asked.

There was the sound of a slap. "It's a dried-up well, dumbass!" someone snarled.

"What about it?"

*slap* "We're going to dump the girl here, dummy!"

Kagome's heart flared with hope. They were going to put her in the well! Inuyasha and the others would find her. She would be all right.

The voices came toward her again. She felt strong arms pick her up, bringing more pain from her bruises and cuts. She winced as the footsteps below her ear headed closer to the well.

Kagome trembled. What if the thugs saw the flash of light given off during time-travel? They might follow her into the Sengoku Jidai and put her friends in danger! Her heart pounded as they entered the well house.

The thug holding her drew closer to the well and, surrounded by his fellows, dropped her in and left without looking back.

She fell into the well. As she hit the ground and felt a flare of pain in her arm, she sank into the dark oblivion of unconsciousness, quietly calling, "Inuyasha…"