InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'm safe at home... aren't I? ❯ Are You Enjoying My Visions? ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hello everyone!! I'm soooo exttttrrrreeeemmmeeellllyyy sorry that I didn't update as soon as I could!! Gomen!!! >< lol. Anyway, here is the next chapter!! The beginning is a little… bleh. I don't like it all that much. But I have to… *sigh* lol. Well, here goes!! Enjoy. Oh, and thank you very much all of my wonderful reviewers!! There is something I must share with you.
 
If you do not review my fanfic, you are not allowed to read this. Think I'm joking? I'm not. Nonreviewers: I know who you are. Seriously. I want at least ten more non-Mara reviews before the next chapter which, by the way, totally rocks, and you know I'm not one to judge myself leniently. Heh…
 
That being said, on to the fic!! ^.^ Enjoy!
 
Previously…
 
Sango hugged her friend comfortingly, then stepped back as Kagome hugged Shippo a last time and gave him to Miroku and jumped over the rim of the well. A blue flash indicated that she was indeed gone, and Inuyasha leapt into a nearby tree, huddling against the branch forlornly. What were those- doctors- going to do to Kagome? He indulged in a quiet growl. If they hurt her-never mind. He was sure she'd be all right. Still, he was going to check on her anyway.
 
Chapter Seven (The last chapter wasn't one so… yeah): “Are you enjoying my visions?”
 
Kagome sighed and lay back on her bed. In a few minutes, her mom was taking her to the hospital to get checked over. She had, of course, insisted that she go, and Kagome, knowing her mother's fondness of worrying over her, had agreed to go. Still, she wasn't looking forward to it.
 
“Kagome?” Her mom called up the stairs. “Come on; it's time to go.” The girl threw a pair of clothes and PJ's into a bag and ran down the stairs and out the door, flinging herself into the car. She winced, and her mom laughed before driving out of the shrine.
 
They spent a few silent minutes driving, until her mom started talking. “Kagome,” her mom said gently, “I'm beginning to think you're not safe over there. This is what, the tenth time you've gotten hurt?”
 
“Mama!” Kagome cried. “I told you! It was here I got hurt, not in the Feudal Era. Did you forget?”
 
“Still…” she murmured in reply. “I'm worried about you, Kagome, you know I am. I don't want you to get hurt by that Inuyasha. I know you've said he is fairly sweet, but I don't trust him not to act like that Miroku boy you've told me about.”
 
Kagome gasped. Inuyasha acting like Miroku? He would never!! Why didn't her mom know that as well as she did?
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Kagome rolled her eyes at the overly cheerful doctor as he and her mother left. She lay back on the bed and stared at the overly-white roof. Sighing, she rolled on her side and pulled the most recent homework assignment out of her bag.
 
Five minutes later, she groaned and pushed her book off of her lap onto the floor, and curled up on the starched sheets, falling into a troubled sleep almost immediately.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Inuyasha hopped out of the well and out of the well house, walking over to Kagome's house. He stepped into the house, sniffing around for Kagome. His search led him to the living room, where Sota watched a movie from the couch and Grandpa sat in a chair working on more demon-repelling scrolls. Upon seeing him, Grandpa jumped up and yelled, “Demon, begone!” before plastering several dozen scrolls on the hanyou. He snorted and peeled them off before grabbing the old man by his collar and pushed him into a nearby closet, holding it in place with a chair. Ignoring the muffled bangings and yells, he turned to Sota, who stared at him with uninhibited adoration sparkling in his eyes. “Where's Kagome, kid?” he grunted, standing far away.
 
The shimmers immediately quelled. His eyes became downcast, and his shoulders slumped as he replied softly, “Mama took her to the hospital an hour ago. Kagome's hurt bad, isn't she?” He looked up into Inuyasha's eyes, having inched closer to him as if he was his only chance to know about his sister.
 
“Yeah, he's hurt bad,” he sighed, looking up. His eyes flicked back to the boy when a brackish scent met his nostrils. The young boy's eyes had filled with tears, making the hanyou's heart flinch. He hadn't meant to make the brat cry… “She'll be fine,” he said gruffly. Sota perked up at once, grinning up at his idol. Inuyasha groaned internally. This brat never gives up… “Never mind that. Where is the `hospital'?”
 
“Keep going down the street we're on, it's a really big white building. Can't miss it,” Sota told his hero before he bounded out of the room in search of it.
 
Following Sota's directions, he came to a very brightly lit building that he assumed was the right one. Now, which one of the windows exuding light was Kagome's? Ah… there was her scent. That window by the tall sycamore, on the third floor.
 
He hopped into the tree, making his way to the window. Once there, he peeked in the open window, blinking against the brightness. Yes, there she was, sleeping soundly on the high bed. He listened to her soft, even breathing for a minute, and then turned to go, his mission complete. Kagome was okay; he couldn't smell any fresh blood, and the only strange scents there were ones of an elderly male of about forty and an overly-clean stench that burnt the inside of his nose.
 
Halfway out the window, he heard a rustle and a whispered, “Inuyasha?” He turned to see Kagome sitting up in the bed, looking back at him with her wide chocolate eyes.
 
“Yeah,” he murmured, coming back over to stand by her bed.
 
She smiled happily up at him. “I'm glad you came. Thank you.”
 
“No problem,” he muttered. “I didn't trust those doctors.”
 
She gaped up at him, and swallowed it. She wasn't about to stop Inuyasha from being sweet when he actually was. Kagome sighed. “Well, the doctor said that my arm is fine, but I have to wear a sling, and I have to stay overnight tonight. Ick.” She wrinkled her nose and squinched up her eyes, drawing a laugh from Inuyasha.
 
“Good,” he told her. “Did they hurt you?”
 
“No, actually,” she replied, a thoughtful look on her face. “They did give me a shot or two, but that was over almost as soon as it began. Happy?”
 
“Yeah.” He turned to leave, and Kagome made a small sound of protest. He turned, giving her a questioning look.
 
“Could you… I mean, would you mind if…” She twisted a fingernail between her first finger and thumb. How could she make such a disgraceful request?
 
“What is it?” he asked, stepping closer to the bed.
 
“Would you… mind staying with me tonight? I really am frightened of hospitals, and it would help a lot…” she murmured, looking down at her fingernail again.
 
“Sure.” She looked up into his eyes, chocolate orbs sparkling, and gave a happy smile. Inuyasha, making the most of this, sat down on the bed and pulled Kagome onto his lap, their legs stretching out almost to the end of the bed. Sighing contentedly, she squirmed farther down in his arms and fell asleep, content for that moment just to be close to the man she loved.
(A/N: Squeeee!! Kawaii-ness!! ^.^;; )
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Meanwhile, Kagome's mom was sitting in the waiting room, waiting (A/N: Well, duh) for the doctor to come out and tell her the results of the many tests she had demanded be put on her daughter. He came out from a small door, holding a stack of papers. She stood up instantly, going over to him with a worried look embedded in her eyes. “Well? How is she?” she asked anxiously.
 
“Not good,” Dr. Kyoto told her softly. (A/N: like the name? ^.^) Kagome's arm is infected beyond our help. It will have to be cut off.”
 
~*~*~*~*~
 
(A/N: Dun dun dun!! Just kidding!! Just kidding!! Just wanted to see your reactions… hehe. No, don't worry, Kagome is perfectly fine and will be going home and to school tomorrow. Again, gomen!! Couldn't resist. Anyway, disregard the last scene. It didn't actually happen. On with the fic! Sorry to interrupt.)
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Kagome came softly to consciousness the next morning, and her eyes jumped open as she turned to look for her hanyou. He was gone! Her shoulders slumped. Jumping out of bed, she ran to check the tree outside, but it, too, was barren of all but leaves. She sighed. Well, she couldn't expect him to stay for the morning, too, after that extraordinarily sweet display last night.
 
A nurse entered the room, and Kagome turned around. “Good morning,” the nurse said cheerfully. “Did you sleep well?” Kagome nodded; she didn't much feel like talking. “Well, would you like some breakfast?”
 
“Yes, please,” Kagome answered. “What do you have?”
 
“Well, we have scrambled eggs and toast with jelly,” the nurse listed, ticking them off on her fingers one by one, “… French toast, pancakes, grits, and bacon. What would you prefer?” (A/N: Ok, ok, so I don't know what they have for breakfast, so sue me! :P)
 
After a moment of reflection, Kagome replied, “I think I'll have the scrambled eggs and toast, if you don't mind.”
 
“Not a problem!” the woman chirped, bustling out. Kagome gazed out the window again, then lay back down on the bed and picked up a book.
 
The nurse came back a few minutes later, bearing a loaded tray. She pulled a table next to the bed and placed the tray on it, and then left. Kagome ate sparingly from it, then rang the bell to signal the nurse to pick up the tray. The older woman glanced sidelong at the tray, a question in her eyes, but Kagome's aura of `leave me alone, I'm not in a good mood' drew her far away just as Dr. Kyoto entered. “Good morning, Miss Higurashi,” he said brightly. “Arm feeling alright?”
 
“Yeah,” she answered, rotating her left arm. “It's a little stiff, but it feels fine.”
 
“Good! It's not infected, but we're going to rewrap it and put your arm in a sling, so you don't get it hurt. Other than that, are you ready to go home?”
 
“Definitely,” she agreed emphatically.
 
“Okay,” he chuckled. “I'll go get your sling, and call your mother to come pick you up.”
 
“Thanks.” The doctor left Kagome alone again, and she pulled out her book. “If Y= 1/5 X squared, (X>0) is similar to…”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Kagome fiddled with her sling again. It was so uncomfortable! “Kagome, stop messing with that,” her mother scolded.
 
“It itches,” she whined. “Can I take it off, please please please??”
 
“No,” her mom replied. “You know that the doctor said- you can take it off at night and when you're taking a bath, and that's it.”
 
“It itches,” Kagome grumbled. Her mom shot her a warning glance.
 
The car pulled into the shrine, and Kagome hopped out of the car, only to be crashed into by an excited Sota. “Sota!” she cried, laughing. “Cut it out!”
 
Kagome's mom came around the car and plucked Sota off of Kagome, gently chiding him, “Now, now, Sota, watch out for Kagome's sling.”
 
“Yes, Mama,” he said meekly. He ran back in the house where Jii-chan was watching from the doorway.
 
“How'd it go?” he asked anxiously as Kagome and her mom came in.
 
“Fine,” she replied absently, heading up to her room. She lay down on the familiar, comforting bed and looked blankly out of her large, open window, through which the golden afternoon light flooded. Wait- the window was open! So… unless Mama had opened it… Inuyasha had been in her room? Doing what?!
 
A tap at her door startled her into falling off the bed with a shriek. Her mom walked in, gave her an amused look, then asked, “Are you alright, Kagome? You came right up here; you didn't even answer Jii-chan's question.”
 
“Yeah, I'm alright,” she sighed. “Just a little tired, that's all.
 
“Well, we're having dinner in a little while. Come down when you feel like it,” her mom told her before retreating back out the door.
 
“Thanks, I will, Mama,” Kagome called after her before clambering back onto her bed and pulling out some of the homework on her desk that Mama had told her had been left by her classmates.
 
Kagome's mom peeked back in the door again, surprising her skittish daughter into almost falling off of the bed again. “Kagome,” her mom said in a warning voice.
 
She groaned and reached for the sling she had removed the moment her mother's eagle eyes were out of range, and pulled it back over her left arm. “Good girl,” her mom said, and left the room again, pulling the door shut behind her.
 
Kagome growled slightly at the door and hefted her textbook onto her lap again with her unburdened right arm.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Kagome shut the heavy book and pushed it off her lap. Her stomach grumbled, and she laughed and pulled herself off the bed, walking to the door.
 
She made her way into the kitchen and opened the refrigerator, pulling out bread, mayonnaise, and pre-sliced ham. She clumsily made herself a sandwich, then took it into the living room, where her mom, Jii-chan, and Sota sat, watching TV. “What are you watching?” she asked through a mouthful, spraying crumbs on the floor.
 
“An American show,” Sota said excitedly, eyes glued to the screen. “It's called American Idol. People from America audition for a spot in the top ten best singers in the country. It's really cool!”
 
“Sota wanted us to all watch it together,” Kagome's mom explained, correctly interpreting the bewildered look on her daughter's face.
 
“Oh! I almost forgot!” Sota interrupted., “There are three really mean judges- Paula, the generally sweet one, Randy, the hip-hop master who disses everyone… and last but definitely not least, Simon, who has something bad to say about every single person. That's him, on the far right.” He pointed, and Kagome looked after swallowing her mouthful. A chill ran down her spine, and her stomach lurched; the man looked exactly like the thug! She blinked and repressed a faint; now he looked like a black-haired man with a sneer on his face.
 
“Kagome, are you all right?” her mother asked, worried.
 
“Y-yeah, I'm fine,” she said shakily. Her stomach lurched again, and she turned and walked quickly to the bathroom, where she threw up everything she had eaten that day.
 
She wiped her mouth, hands still trembling, and pulled herself to her feet to struggle back to her room. Once there, she collapsed on the bed, shaking. Why? she thought to whoever might be listening. Why put me through this? Why me? A deep-throated evil chuckle resonated suddenly through her head, and Kagome sat up, her heart pounding. “Who's there?” she whispered to the air. No answer.
 
Still shivering, she curled into a tight ball under her blankets, and there she stayed until she finally sank into restless sleep.
 
~*~Kagome's Dream~*~
 
The mist was cold around her ankles, and Kagome felt a quiver of anticipation run up her spine. Any second now…
 
Yes, there he was. Her heart thumped wildly; he was holding a gun! “Hello again,” he said snidely. “Are you enjoying my visions?”
 
She gasped. “You did that?!”
 
“Of course.” He drew his gun. “But the fact remains that you're here, and that I'm going to kill you.” He grinned.
 
Kagome gasped and backed away. He put his finger on the trigger, toying with her, then fired as she screamed and jumped to the left. A piercing pain in her right side told her that the bullet had hit home. She landed on her left side on the ground and tried to scream again, but an invisible hand covering her mouth restrained her. She struggled against invisible arms that wrapped around her, holding her down.
 
~*~End dream~*~
 
“Kagome! Kagome!! Wake up!!”
 
Huh? Who was that? She kept struggling, thinking it was another one of the thug's tricks.
 
“Kagome!” the voice cried urgently.
 
She opened her eyes, thinking to scream at the thug, but instead stared into a pair of golden eyes with a worried look. “In- Inuyasha?” she asked, blinking at him.
 
“Are you all right?” he asked urgently, looking into her eyes.
 
“The thug… he-he shot me,” she faltered, suddenly feeling light-headed.
 
“What?!” he cried. She moved her hand to her right side, where a trickle of blood streamed onto her blankets. “Ow,” she whispered, wincing.
 
He gave her a worried look. “Where does your mom keep the bandages?” he asked her.
 
“I- in the cabinet over the sink in the kitchen,” she gritted out through clenched teeth. He left the room at a run, and Kagome held off a faint, regretting falling asleep.
 
Inuyasha came back in the room carrying antiseptic, medical tape, and a roll of gauze bandages. Kagome wondered vaguely how he knew what to get, but shrugged it off.
 
He started with the antiseptic, gently cleaning the wound and questioning if she was okay whenever she winced. Then, apologizing briefly for rudeness, he wrapped the bandage around her stomach and taped it in place. She gently touched the bandage around her, then queried, “How did you know what to do?”
 
“I watch you whenever you patch me up,” he said with a lopsided grin that made Kagome's heart thump faster. “I should know what to do by now.”
 
“Yeah, you should,” she laughed.
 
Inuyasha got up and put the remaining bandages on Kagome's desk, and then turned to leave. “Wait, Inuyasha,” Kagome pleaded, holding out her hand to him. He came over and sat next to her.
 
“What is it, Kagome?”
 
She turned a faint red. “W-would you mind staying with me again?” She winced, expecting a harsh no.
 
“Of course,” he answered, surprised. She sank back against her headboard with a look of relief. He sat next to her and, being careful of her side, tenderly pulled her onto his lap. She snuggled against him happily, whispered, “Thank you…” and fell into a blissful sleep.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Kagome rose from a deep well of unconsciousness slowly, and blinked drowsily at her clock.
 
8:47
 
the numbers blinked at her from her clock, and she screeched and jumped off of her bed. Inuyasha was next to her at once, Tetsuseiga in hand and ready. “What is it?!” he cried, looking around for a foe.
 
Kagome was already digging through her closet for her uniform. “I'm going to be late for school!” she shrieked, pulling out her school clothes and running into the bathroom.
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes and sheathed Tetsuseiga again. “Well, if that's all…” he muttered, stretching his arms back over his head and showing his canines.
 
Kagome rushed out of the bathroom, wearing her school uniform. Inuyasha stared at her. What was the big rush? She was always complaining about “tests”, so why did she want to go in the first place?
 
Kagome hopped on one foot to the door, pulling on her shoes and sling, then grabbed her backpack and rushed out the door, yelling back over one shoulder, “Inuyasha I'll be back around 2:30, there's Ramen in the cupboard if you get hungry, bye!” She raced downstairs, grabbed a piece of toast from her mom, and ran out of the house yelling, “Bye, Mama!” The door slammed behind her, and Kagome's mom shook her head and laughed. “That girl… Well, at least she remembered her sling.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Inuyasha, holding Buyo half an inch off of the floor, yawned widely. Wasn't Kagome's school over yet? “Kagome's mom!” the half-breed yelled.
 
The woman in question emerged from the kitchen, drying her hands on a towel. “Yes, Inuyasha?” she asked with a smile.
 
“When is Kagome going to get out of school?” he queried impatiently.
 
The woman chuckled. “Patience is a virtue, Inuyasha. But actually, school's almost out. Do you know where it is?”
 
Inuyasha grinned. “Nope, but I'll find it.” He dropped Buyo and headed toward the front door.
 
“Bye, Inuyasha,” Mrs. Higurashi called after him. “Don't run into anyone. And cover your ears!” The hanyou resignedly grabbed a baseball cap and pulled it over his ears, then exited the house.
 
Inuyasha reached the large building that had housed so many- interesting- memories. He leapt to the top of a tree close to the building and watched the front of the building.
 
He jumped a mile when an excruciatingly loud bell rang, signifying the end of school. Almost immediately a conglomeration of girls and boys burst out of the sizeable front doors, laughing and chattering all together. One group of girls in particular stuck out to the hanyou; namely, the one with a girl in the middle, laughing and talking with her friends.
 
Kagome forced herself out from the mass of people, laughing, and bid them goodbye. She walked over to a bench under Inuyasha's tree and sank down onto it, exhaustion from the day visible. He dropped down and sat next to her, noticeably worried about her. “Kagome?” he asked. “Are you okay?”
 
She smiled and sat up from her half-slouch. “Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks, Inuyasha.” She turned to face him. “Ne, Inuyasha…”
 
“Hai, Kagome?”
 
“Some of my friends were talking about a party the seniors are having tonight, and I got invited, but none of my other friends did. We're allowed to bring one person; would you come with me?” the girl asked, hope shining in her eyes.
 
He glanced at her warily. “What kind of party?”
 
“A regular party, with dancing, and music, and fun…” she answered. “And besides, you've never been to a modern party, right? It should be fun!”
 
“Fine…” he replied grudgingly. “But-”
 
“YAY!” she squealed happily, jumping up and glomping the hanyou. “We're going to have so much fun!!”
 
“But-”
 
“Come on!” she cried, pulling him in the direction of her house. She took off running, and Inuyasha snorted and pulled her onto his back. Kagome, wholeheartedly happy for the first time since her nightmares had started, sighed and rested her head on Inuyasha's back, breathing in the wild rain scent that was entirely his. I don't care if the rumors about the seniors' parties are true, as long as Inuyasha is there with me…
 
The sudden stop made her look up. “Inuyasha, what-” she started, but a low growl stopped her.
 
“What the hell do you want?!” he snarled at Hojo, a protective grip tightening on Kagome.
 
“Nothing,” the boy replied staunchly, “but to give this to Kagome.” He pulled a bottle of Mirac-Pills and handed them to the girl, who sweatdropped but took them anyway. “My grandmother swears by them,” he told Kagome shyly.
 
“That's great, brat,” Inuyasha rumbled. “Now, move along.” The boy gulped and ran off; presumably to buy some more medicinal items, and Kagome and Inuyasha were left with large sweatdrops and the bottle. Kagome tossed it into a nearby trash can and climbed onto Inuyasha's back once more. “Come on, Inuyasha, I have to go borrow some money from Mama to get us some clothes to wear at the party.” He grumbled a bit, but ran back to her house anyway.
 
“Mama!” Kagome yelled, banging several doors while looking for her mother. The woman in question hurried out of her room, looking worried.
 
“What is it, Kagome?” she asked in an anxious tone of voice.
 
“Mamathere'sareallybigpartytonightandIwasinvitedcanIhavesom emoneytogotothemallandgetnewclothesformeandInuyasha?” she asked in a rush. Inuyasha and her mother stared at her, Inuyasha in surprise that so many words could come out of her mouth in so few seconds, and her mother that she needed new clothes with a closet full.
 
“Kagome, dear, don't you already have a party dress?” the older woman asked skeptically, crossing her arms and raising one eyebrow.
 
“Mother,” Kagome whined, glancing nervously at Inuyasha. She clapped her hands over Inuyasha's dog-ears and hissed, “That dress is absolutely covered in pink lace and sequins! And I've had it since I was ten!!” She uncovered the disgruntled and embarrassed Inuyasha's ears, and he `feh'ed and backed up a step, crossing his arms and willing the red to come out of his face. “And besides,” Kagome continued, “Inuyasha certainly can't wear that.” She waved a hand that in one stroke contained both his haori and the baseball cap that had slipped askew over his ears during their trip home.
 
Inuyasha protested, “What's wrong with my haori?” The two women ignored him.
 
“Fine,” Mrs. Higurashi agreed finally, pulling out her wallet. She handed her bouncy daughter several bills and shooed her and the hanyou out the door.
 
“Come on, Inuyasha!” Kagome piped happily, climbing onto his back and pulling the baseball cap straighter so it wouldn't fall off during their trip. “I promised Eri and Yuka we'd be there right after school!”
 
“Feh,” he grumbled. “I don't see why you have to get new clothes anyway. Why can't you wear what you're wearing now?” he asked as he ran swiftly through the streets, earning odd looks from civilians.
 
The girl nearly squealed with outrage. “Wear this? Are you kidding me?! This is awful! I would never wear it to a party!”
 
“Whatever.” The hanyou grumbled under his breath. Kagome, leaning forward slightly, caught what sounded like, “MumblemumbleWitchmumblemumbleStupidclothesmumble.” She kicked him softly in the leg, and he turned his head over his shoulder and grinned at her.
 
He stopped abruptly, and Kagome peered over his shoulder. “What is it?” she queried. “Are we-” The girl stopped hastily and ducked back down so only her eyes were visible. A gang of thugs, several holding menacing-looking knives, had formed a semicircle in front of them, cutting off their path. A rustle behind them told them that their retreat was blocked, too.
 
Inuyasha sighed and faced the man standing before them with a smug look of authority slapped on his face. “Well, idiots, I thank you. I was itching for a fight today.” He grinned as he let Kagome down off of his back, and cracked his knuckles.
 
The man cocked an eyebrow. “You and your girl over there come into my territory, and then diss me? You're just askin' for a beating there, I don't care what weird clothes you wear.” The rest of the circle chuckled, and the kid next to the leader high-fived him.
 
Inuyasha snorted. “I don't know who you think you're dealing with, man, but you'd better back down while you have the chance.”
 
Surprised by this remark, Kagome giggled. The leader narrowed his eyes at her, raised them to Inuyasha's once more, and smirked. “I see you don't scare easy. I bet your little pet there does though, don't you? She looks the ditzy type.” He snapped his fingers and Kagome, opening her mouth to rap out a scathing retort, found that speech was blocked by a 6-inch razor-sharp knife that was suddenly at her throat.
 
“Inu… Yasha…” she gasped, trying not to move her throat too much. The hanyou in question spun rapidly, and, taking in what was happening to Kagome. Her eyes, wide as dinner plates, reflected his similar organs as a tinge of red surrounded his pupils. The leader motioned to his crony, and the pressure of the knife lessened on her throat. “Inuyasha,” she said quickly, as the boy holding her slowly moved the knife back to its frightening position. “Please don't do anything rash; we're not in the Sengoku Jidai, we're in modern-day Japan! They're just human thugs, not demons!”
 
The leader sighed heavily. “You talk too much.” He motioned again to the man holding her, and his grip tightened. The girl inhaled sharply, closing her eyes in pain, as a small drop of blood traced a ruby path down her neck.
 
“That's it.” The low growl that forced its way out of Inuyasha's mouth surprised even him; still he was going to go with it. This punk couldn't get away with hurting Kagome! He looked at the leader, fire in his gold-stained red eyes. “Let. Her. Go. Now. Or I will disembowel you and hang your bloody head on a pole.” He ripped off his baseball cap, exposing his ears, and flexed his claws as he was suddenly in the other man's face.
 
The man backed up a step and stared at the taller man's ears and claws. “Wh-who-what are you?” he cried fearfully. Not waiting for an answer, he turned on his heel and ran into the shadows of an alley, the rest of the gang behind him, except for the man holding the knife to Kagome's throat.
 
Inuyasha turned to him. “I think you'd better follow your master,” he said menacingly. Agreeably, the man dropped his weapon and followed his gang, knocking Kagome down in his haste to get away. Inuyasha turned to the girl, who got slowly to her feet. “Inuyasha?” she asked, a note of fear in her pure voice. “Are you… okay?”
 
“Yeah,” he replied softly, picking up his baseball cap and putting it back on his head. “Are you? Did that guy hurt you a lot?”
 
“No,” she answered in reply to his query, pressing her thumb to the slight cut. “See?” She smiled. “It's stopped bleeding.”
 
“Hmph.” He crouched so Kagome could climb onto his back. “We're still getting you a Band-Aid as soon as we're done with this `mall' thing and we go back to your house.”
 
“'Mkay,” she mumbled, face hid in the hanyou's warm back. “I don't care.” Inuyasha raised one eyebrow at this oddity, but shrugged it off lightly.
 
The two touched down in front of a tall building bursting with people and sounds. “Kagome?” Inuyasha asked, nudging her with his shoulder. “Is this it?”
 
“Mmm?” She looked up, trying to blink away her imminent exhaustion from the day's small trials. “Yeah. Yeah, this is it.” She hopped off lightly and stretched. Inuyasha glanced at her out of the corner of his eye, then looked away quickly when she peeked at him from under her arms. “Well, come on, Inuyasha! We've got to find my friends.” She grabbed a handful of cloth from his elbow and dragged him bodily into the mall, squealing happily.
 
Inuyasha warily looked around at all the people meandering past him and Kagome. He ignored the strange looks people were giving him and his clothes and hair, and saw only the up-and-down glances given to Kagome by a nearby group of boys. He gave them a deathly glare and growled slightly and, eyes widening, the group hurried away. Giving a satisfied smile, he turned to see what Kagome was up to.
 
She was gone. Where was she?!
 
A squeal from nearby made him wheel around. Kagome stood in the midst of a group of girls, all of whom were squealing happily. He groaned inwardly and walked to stand behind her, first checking to make sure his hat was on tight.
 
The girls went quiet as a looming, menacing shadow appeared behind Kagome. “Um, Kagome,” Eri whispered, “don't look up, but there's a really tall, really hot guy and he's standing right behind you!!”
 
Kagome laughed and looked up as Inuyasha snorted and blushed. “No, no, guys. I need you to meet somebody. Guys, this is Inuyasha. Inuyasha, Yuka and Eri. Ayumi couldn't make it.”
 
Yuka giggled. “Very pleased to finally meet you, Inuyasha.” She shook his hand briskly, then turned to Kagome. “Let's get started, shall we? Where to first?”
 
“Where do you think?” Kagome replied scornfully, then laughed. “Come on, let's go!”
 
The three girls walked off to their destination, talking and laughing, followed closely by Inuyasha. The hanyou scowled. This was going to be a looong day.
 
They entered a shop filled with giggling girls and woman wandering around with perfume bottles. Inuyasha stopped at the entrance, golden eyes growing wide at the estrogen-filled sight. But, as Kagome disappeared with her friends among the pink-and-red-filled aisles of clothes, he followed her slowly.
 
Inuyasha was nodding off while the three girls discussed dress length and color when Kagome let out a sharp squeal. Immediately alert, he sharpened his oculars on the girls.
 
Kagome was holding up a black piece of cloth, and Yuka and Eri were as close to drooling, looking at it, as some girls are when they see Orlando Bloom. “I've found the perfect one! I've got to try it on!” she was saying to her friends.
 
“Go for it!” Yuka told her. “It'll look great on you. And we know he'll like it,” she whispered, casting a glance at the curious hanyou.
 
“All right, I'll do it,” Kagome said happily. “Come on!” Yuka and Eri grabbed their own choices and followed her into the dressing rooms. Inuyasha tried to follow, but he was quickly pushed out with a sharp, “No boys allowed! You'll see her later,” by Eri.
 
“Hmph,” he muttered. “I don't care.” But he did; the thought of what Kagome might be wearing made his heart flutter in anticipation.
 
Murmured words from the dressing rooms tuned him into their conversation.
 
“Do you think he'll like it?” Kagome whispered, acutely aware that Inuyasha could hear her. She prayed silently that he wouldn't think she was talking about him.
 
“Of course,” Yuka assured her in a softer tone. “And why are we talking so quietly?”
 
“Inuyasha has really good hearing,” the girl whispered back. “I don't want him to know about this until the party.” She giggled. “I can't wait to see what he thinks about it!”
 
“You've got to tell me what he thinks,” Eri said dryly. “I'm sure his opinion will be fascinating.”
 
“Eri, hush,” Yuka scolded. “He's Kagome's boyfriend, and we should support her decision.”
 
“Still,” Eri replied scornfully, “I don't like him. That hair… is he an American, Kagome? I don't know any nice Japanese boys that have hair that long.”
 
“He is not and American,” Kagome said forcefully. “He's Japanese. He's just from an… odd family.”
 
“Well, whatever. He's your boyfriend, and you know him better than any of us. Still, I don't see why you couldn't have chosen Hojo.”
 
Inuyasha, trying to figure out what a `boyfriend' was and if he actually was one, could practically hear Kagome blushing as she replied, “You know why. He's nice, but I need someone…. stronger, I guess. I don't know, I can't explain it.”
 
“Whatever,” Eri said. “Let's go buy these; I've got to get home.”
 
“Me, too,” Yuka piped up.
 
The trio emerged from the dressing rooms, wearing their school uniforms again. They headed to the checkout counter, and Yuka and Eri covered Inuyasha's eyes, giggling, as Kagome bought her dress. Bright red, Inuyasha yanked away from them. Yuka and Eri bought their raiment, and the group exited the store, much to Inuyasha's relief.
 
“Well, we've got to go,” Yuka said brightly, holding onto her bag from the store with both hands. “It was great fun!”
 
“Same here,” Eri agreed. “We'll see you later, Kagome-chan. Have fun at the party! And you, too.” She winked at Inuyasha, who snorted and blushed again.
 
Kagome laughed. “Can do. I'll see you guys tomorrow!” She waved as the two walked away, and turned to Inuyasha. “We've got some more shopping to do, Inuyasha,” she told him, smiling. “Ready?”
 
He sighed. “All right. But I'd better get something out of this!”
 
“Of course you will,” Kagome soothed. “I'm going to buy you a very big cinnamon bun.”
 
Yes!”
 
“But…”
 
“Oh, no. But what?”
 
“But, we're going to have to get you a suit.”
 
“WHAT?!”
 
“That's what I thought you'd say. Which is why I'm going to make it up to you by staying in the Feudal Era for three weeks.”
 
Inuyasha blinked. She was bribing him with staying? All right! He'd do anything to get her to stay longer. “Fine, but I am not wearing shoes.”
 
“Ne, Inuyasha…”
 
“Damnit!”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Inuyasha and Kagome walked out of yet another jewelry store, by now carrying the bag from the dress store, a bag from a shoe store, where they had gotten shoes both for Kagome and Inuyasha, and two smaller bags of jewelry. Inuyasha, given the job of carrying them, sank under his load. Every time he tried to peek into the bag carrying Kagome's dress, she smacked his ears. He sighed. Well, at least he'd get to have a cinnamon bun, and Kagome would be with him for three weeks. Speaking of Kagome… he'd better stop thinking about her and actually see what she was up to.
 
Kagome, stepping on an escalator, was suddenly yanked back against a warm chest. She blinked up at Inuyasha. “What are you doing?” she asked sharply. “I'm just going down the escalator.”
 
“But-“
 
“Oh, jeez, Inuyasha, it's perfectly safe,” Kagome told him, pulling out of his grip and heading down. “It's just a-“ Bt Kagome never got to tell Inuyasha what it `just was'; a loose thread from her sock, trailing on the step, got caught in the revolving machinery and she fell forward with a shriek.
 
Inuyasha blazed with anger. That `excalator' thing was trying to eat his Kagome!! He dropped the bags immediately and flew to catch her as she fell, pulling her safely out of the monster's grip and into his protective arms.
 
She grinned, trying in vain to restore her heart to its normal rate after that scare. “Thank you, Inuyasha,” she said breathlessly. She returned to her feet and beckoned. “Come on; this one last store and we'll be done.”
 
With that happy thought to goad him on, Inuyasha retrieved their bags and followed the girl into a men's clothing store. Though, he speculated, it was certainly better than that girly dress shop, it still had a pomp-and-nonsense air about it that annoyed him. Kagome beckoned, and a short man in a suit was promptly at their side. “May I help you,” he said coolly, looking down his nose, somehow, at Inuyasha's clothing of choice with a holier-than-thou look on his face.
 
“Yes, my friend here needs a suit for a party tonight,” Kagome informed him. “We want something nice-looking, not snooty, and rather more on the cheap side than not. Can you…” she looked him up and down, a faint mocking smile on her face, “…handle that?”
 
“Of course,” he replied loftily. “When you see him next, you will not recognize him.” He swept away with Inuyasha, and Kagome gave him a thumbs-up before settling in a chair and pulling a magazine off of a rack conveniently near the dressing rooms.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
The shorter man emerged from the dressing room a while later, a satisfied smirk resting on his thin lips. “I give you,” he said proudly, “Mr. Inuyasha!”
 
The said hanyou came out from within the room, a hopeful look- like a puppy gives his master after he's just had a bath- smothering the usually disgruntled look on his face. However, Kagome's eyes had other things to worry about.
 
Inuyasha stood there, his hair slightly swept back from getting into the clothes he was unaccustomed to wearing. The short man had picked out an all-white suit, with a splash of red defiance in the necktie. The jacket was buttoned slightly at the bottom, and it clung to his muscles, making Kagome shiver. The pants were ramrod-straight and had crisp ironing lines, which ran straight down his legs and emphasized the out-of-place sneaker-looking shoes with black socks. She attempted to close her gaping mouth and failed.
 
Inuyasha still had the puppy-dog look in his eyes, but Kagome only got a glimpse of it as his eyes returned to their normal surliness. “Well?” he mumbled, looking at his feet. “Do you like it?”
 
She glomped him immediately and then stepped back with a grin. “It looks great!”
 
He blushed, and hard. He `feh'ed and looked away. “It was the only thing that guy would let me wear for longer than five minutes,” he muttered.
 
“Well, I'm glad he did,” Kagome replied cheerfully. “It really looks great on you! Go change back into your haori, and we'll buy it and get you your cinnamon bun.”
 
Needless to say, it took Inuyasha a lot less time to change back than it did for him to get into the suit. They bought the clothes several minutes later, and were on their way to get a cinnamon bun before you could say `hanyou'.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
~*~*~*~*~*
~*~*~*~*~
~*~*~*~*
~*~*~*~
~*~*~*
~*~*~
~*~*
~*~
~*
~
 
Alright! That was fun. Next chapter is the party.
 
And, by the way, I have something to say. Not to my lovely fans, of course, but to the most important people in my life- my baby sister, Mara, and my big sister, Livi. Guys, I love you with all my heart, and I hope desperately that you can forgive me before it's too late. I'm thinking of you… I hope you know that I would do anything within my power to be with you, help you, but I can't. You will always be my sisters. Please, don't let this be the end of us. You're always with me, as I am with you.
 
A peaceful mind and soul to all my readers, a love-filled life, and many friends.
 
~Roxichan