InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Need You ❯ A New Home ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
 

CHAPTER THREE: A NEW HOME
 
“Will she be okay?”
“Yes. Her burns weren't too bad.”
Rin groaned and her eyes fluttered open.
“Kagome, she's awake” InuYasha stood from his chair next to the bed.
Kagome and Sango quickly walked over to the small girl, “Rin?” Kagome said softly, “How do you feel?”
Rin reached up and touched her bandaged head, “Where am I?” she whispered.
Miroku touched Kagome's shoulder, “I'll get the doctor.”
Kagome nodded then answered Rin's question. “We brought you back with us, to my time. The Modern Era.”
Rin stared at them, her eyes wide, “Why?”
“You were hurt. And bringing you here was the only way we could help you.”
Rin nodded slowly, “I think I understand.”
She looked over at InuYasha and was surprised to see him in his human form, but with his golden eyes, “Why are you like that?”
Kagome smiled and quickly explained everything from the wedding up till Rin had awakened.
Rin nodded, “But where are your other companions? The cat and fox demons?”
Sango stepped forward to explain, “You see Rin. In Kagome's time, there are no demons, or magic spells. Not real ones anyway. So Shippo had to stay behind and Kirara is back at our house.”
Kagome took Rin's hand, “Now listen very carefully. No one can know about the well. It's a secret, and must stay that way. You must not tell anyone where you came from. You understand?”
Rin nodded as the doctor and Miroku came in. “Ah, she's awake. That's good.” Doctor Yvonne smiled as she checked Rin over. “How are you feeling?”
Rin trembled slightly, “Fine” she whispered.
Everything was beginning to over-whelm her. She remembered the dark cloud looming over-head; then suddenly Lord Sesshomaru appeared. “I must have lost consciousness.”
Doctor Yvonne stepped back, “Well everything looks good. I'd like her to stay here one more night, than you can take her home.”
“Home?” Rin questioned hopefully.
Doctor Yvonne smiled, “Yes. With your parents.”
Rin's mind raced, “My parents? ButhowI don't understand.”
The doctor shook Kagome and InuYasha's hands, “Thanks” InuYasha said gruffly while Kagome smiled, “Yes. Thanks so much.”
“Your little girl is one lucky lady.” Doctor Yvonne said.
“She has no idea” Miroku murmured to Sango who then smiled.
The doctor turned back to Rin, “And no more playing with matches for you young lady” she said with a stern voice but her eyes sparkled.
Her pager started beeping and she excused herself.
Rin looked at the adults in confusion, “What's going? What was she talking about? And what are matches?”
Sango quietly shut the door and Kagome sat on Rin's bed. “Like I told you before, we can't tell anyone about the well. We told them you were playing and got burned in a small fire at home.”
“And my `parents'?” Rin demanded.
Kagome sighed, “That's us. InuYasha and myself. They would not have treated you without your parent's permission. Right now a lawyer friend of my Grandfather's is drawing up papers, proof if we need it.”
Rin sighed and settled back into her bed. “How long are you planning on me staying here?”
Kagome exchanged glances with InuYasha, their thoughts the same. “If we tell her she's not going back. She'll freak…”
Kagome smiled and squeezed Rin's hand, “Just as long as it's needed.”
Rin watched her a moment before nodding. She seemed content with the answer. Unfortunately she didn't understand it'd be the rest of her life.
Kagome, InuYasha and Rin moved into the house at the shrine. Mrs. Higurashi and Souta moved into an apartment just a few blocks away; Grandpa and Kaede hit it off right away and surprised everyone by getting married. They got an apartment across the hall from Mrs. Higurashi and Souta.
InuYasha agreed to take over the duties at the shrine as Grandfather taught him. They had many arguments but the end result was the same; Grandfather was right and InuYasha was in a foul mood.
Sango and Miroku opened a small weapons shop down the street from the shrine and were expecting their first child.
2 months past and Rin started to worry that Lord Sesshomaru would be angry she had not returned. Whenever she asked when she would return home, Kagome would just shake her head and say “Not yet. It's not safe.”
Rin paced the floor angrily. She was at the mall with Kagome buying new clothes for school. Rin couldn't understand why they would spend time and money on her when she was to return through the well. Rin would ask why and both Kagome and InuYasha would just shrugged and say, “Just because.”
Rin slumped down and sighed. Another thing that bothered her was Kagome insisted she call them “mom” and “dad”. InuYasha told her it was part of their story, their cover.
But Rin suspected something more. She wanted to go back. She missed her lord and a part of her was sure he missed her too. Just the thought of Sesshomaru brought tears to her eyes.
Kagome peeked around the aisle and saw the young girl sitting quietly, tears running down her face. Kagome mentally kicked herself. It was wrong to keep a false hope alive that Rin could return home. Kagome could never let the child go back, but she couldn't find the words to tell her she was staying.
Kagome sighed deeply and walked towards Rin. “Tonight. We'll tell her tonight.”
 

Dinner was unusually quite. InuYasha was usually ranting and raving about something Grandfather did, but tonight he sat in silence. Kagome also sat still. When she and Rin got home, Kagome immediately went to InuYasha and explained her thoughts. He agreed and they decided to tell her that night. But neither one knew how to start.
Finally Rin slammed her hands on the table, causing her `parents' to jump.
“I want to know when I'm returning to my time and I want to know now!”
She glared at Kagome, “And I want the truth.”
Kagome stared at her startled; Rin had never raised her voice like that before.
InuYasha cleared his throat, “Well uh…I think Kagome can explain that best.”
Kagome glared at her husband before turning to Rin, her eyes soft. “You're not going back Rin. You're staying here with us.”