InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Need You ❯ Protect Her ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
 

CHAPTER TWO: PROTECT HER
 
Kagome woke to a soft voice calling her name. Opening her eyes she saw her mother leaning over her, worry lining her face.
“Mom?”
Mrs. Higurashi sighed in relief, “I'm glad to hear your voice Kagome. You had us all worried.”
Kagome sat up; the cool cloth that had been lying on her forehead fell to her lap. “What…what happened?”
“We were in the well” Sango appeared at the door, “And you somehow got us here. You saved us.”
Kagome frowned, “The well?”
Flashes of running and people screaming flew through her mind.
Tears swelled up in her eyes, “What was that?”
Sango shook her head and sat down next to her friend, “We don't know. None of us have ever heard of anything like it before.” Sango smiled briefly, “Sorry about slapping you. You were so out of it and we were really in a time crunch.”
Kagome smiled and touched her check, “Don't worry about it. It was so strange. I could hear everyone, and I tried to move, but…I was just frozen in place. I was terrified.”
Mrs. Higurashi took the cloth from Kagome, “I'll be down stairs if you need me dear.”
Sango gave her a smile as they passed each other and sat next to Kagome on the bed.
The two girls leaned against each other and sighed. “What can we do?” Kagome whispered.
“I don't think we can do anything. It looks like this is one enemy we can't fight.” Suddenly Kagome sat up and looked at Sango with wide eyes, “What about Kaede?”
 

Jaken slowly opened his eyes and looked around, “Am I still living? Have I by some miracle survived that horrible cloud?”
He jumped to his feet and gasped, “But where is the girl?! What had happened to the child?!”
He started running around in circles in a panic. “Lord Sesshomaru will surely kill me if I have lost her or…”
He slid to a stop, his eyes bugged out,
“Or worse let her die! Ahhh!!” He started running again, babbling nonsense.
It was a voice soft and cold that brought him to a stop again, “Jaken. She is with me. Stop acting like a fool.”
Jaken looked up to see his lord and master, the great Dog Demon Lord Sesshomaru holding a young girl in his only arm.
Jaken ran over, “My lord! Is she alright?! What ails her?”
Sesshomaru looked down at the child in his arm; her eyes closed and her breathing shallow. She'd been that way since the dark cloud had past over them.
Hearing Rin's scream, Sesshomaru rushed to her and covered her body with his. He'd seen the villagers and knew what would happen if the darkness touched her skin. She survived but her body was covered with burns and she had yet to wake.
Sesshomaru walked over to a tree and sat down, leaning his back against its trunk. Carefully cradling Rin in his one arm, Sesshomaru pondered on what to do for her. “I am certain the human girl InuYasha is companions with has gone back to her world. To be safe. I must find someone who can care for Rin.”
His golden eyes snapped up to Jaken who jumped, “Yes my lord?” he squeaked.
“Take Ah'Un and find the old woman InuYasha is companions with, the younger sister of the dead priestess. See if she is still alive. Tell her I wish to see her. Return quickly.”
Jaken bowed trembling, “Yes my lord.”
He turned to the two headed dragon that had appeared with Sesshomaru earlier and climbed on his back. Quickly they took off and flew out of sight.
Sesshomaru looked down at the child in his arm and frowned, “What is it about this child, that I find myself needing her? I, Sesshomaru, have never needed. And yet this simple child has a hold on me. Why do I need her?
 

InuYasha shook his head firmly, “No. There is no way I'm letting you go back there. How do you know that…that thing wouldn't still be there?”
Kagome took a breath before glaring at her husband. “InuYasha, I'm not asking for your permission. I'm telling you. I have to go back and make sure Kaede is alright.”
InuYasha groaned in frustration, “I told you! Kouga's gonna protect her!”
“He can't be with her all the time!” Kagome snapped. “And Shippo! I just left him.”
“He can't come here Kagome! He's got a tail for crying out loud!”
“I never said I was gonna bring him back you moron!” Kagome shouted. “Just Kaede. I wanted to say goodbye! And since when do you trust Kouga to do anything?!”
InuYasha opened his mouth then clamped it shut.
He sighed, “I just don't want you to get hurt Kagome.” he said softly “We almost couldn't get through last time, and I don't want to lose you.”
Kagome who was gearing up for battle froze; tears sprang into her eyes and she threw her arms around his neck, “Oh InuYasha.”
She pulled back and looked into his eyes, “I know we cut it close last time. But I'm sure I can do it this time. I have to go back. Please understand.”
InuYasha was silent before he finally sighed in defeat,
”Fine. But I'm going with you.”
Kagome smiled. “I was hoping you would.”
 

Kaede stirred the fire in her hut, many thoughts racing through her mind. Soon after InuYasha and the others left, Shippo and a young wolf demon came to her and told her they had made a promise to protect her. Taking her into his arms the wolf demon took off towards the mountain and away from the cloud. Shippo stayed behind, trying to save any others that he could. They watched from afar as the cloud drew closer. Then suddenly it vanished. The wolf demon, who told her his name was Kouga, took her back to the village. He soon left saying he would find out what the cloud was.
Villagers started returning, but Shippo was not among them. Kaede waited for him many hours, but he did not return.
The old woman sighed and poked at the fire again; the cloud and Shippo's disappearance were not the only strange things that had occurred that day. As the sun left the sky a two-headed dragon appeared with a small green imp on its back. The green imp introduced itself as Jaken, servant of the Great Dog Demon Lord Sesshomaru. He then requested the old priestess Kaede. Kaede stepped forward and Jaken informed her that his Lord was coming to see her. Immediately he hopped back on the dragon's back and flew off into the sky.
Now she waited. Wondering what the Great Dog Demon wanted with her.
Her question was not left long unanswered.
She heard the door mat fall and his shadow cast long across the hut wall. Without looking up from the fire, Kaede addressed him, “Why do ye seek me Great Dog Demon? What can an old priestess be of use to ye?”
Sesshomaru walked forward and placed Rin on the floor next to the fire.
“Oh gods” Kaede murmured.
“Can you help her?” his cold voice asked.
Kaede looked over Rin's burns and shook her head, “I know not. I will try. But I know not what I can do to save her.”
Sesshomaru growled slightly in frustration. “Where is InuYasha's mate? The human girl?”
Kaede looked up in surprise, “Why, she has gone to her world. To escape the dark cloud.”
No sooner had she said this then they heard Kagome's voice outside.
“Where is the Lady Kaede? Is she alright? I must find her!” Kagome burst into the hut, “Oh Kaede! You're alright!” Kagome threw her arms around the old woman.
Kaede chuckled, “Why yes child, I be fine. That wolf demon...Kouga…took me to a safe way.”
Kagome made a mental note to thank the demon if she ever saw him again.
Kaede frowned slightly, “Why ye be back here? I thought thou hast gone to your world to safely.”
Kagome nodded, “We did. But we came back for you.”
“For me dear child?”
“Yes. We want you to come with us!”
“Who is this `we' you speak of?”
Kagome looked up to see Sesshomaru's golden eyes watching her. “Why-why is he here?!” she sputtered.
Kaede indicated to the other side of the fire. “He has brought the young child. But I know not how to help her.”
Kagome knelt beside Rin, all the while Sesshomaru's eyes following her every move. “How did she survive?”
She turned to Sesshomaru, “I covered her with my body” he said shortly, as if annoyed he had to explain his actions to her. “But it did not spare her completely.”
InuYasha entered the hut and glared when he saw Sesshomaru. “Why are you here?” he snarled.
“Rin's hurt” Kagome explained softly.
“Lady Kaede?” a man called from outside, “There is someone here who wishes to speak with you.”
InuYasha opened the door mat and a fox demon came in. Kagome recognized her as Nestra, Shippo's newly adopted mother.
She nodded to Kagome, “I'm glad to see you are unharmed Kagome.”
Kagome smiled, “Thank you. Where is Shippo? Is he alright?”
Nestra nodded slowly, “He...will recover. During the storm the cloud did not harm him. He was taking some villagers to a nearby cave. They survived, but Shippo was tossed in the wind.”
Kagome gasped softly but Nestra shook her head, “He's fine. A little battered and bruised but he will be fine.”
Kagome sighed in relief, “Oh good. I was hoping to see him before we left. To say goodbye.”
Nestra smiled, “Yes. I'm sure he would be very happy for you to come.”
A small meow at Kagome's feet made her look down, “Oh Kirara! Sango was so worried about you!” She reached down and picked the tiny demon up.
“We can't take her!”
Kagome glared at InuYasha, “You would have me leave her here? Alone?”
She held Kirara in front of InuYasha's face, “I thought you liked her!”
InuYasha groaned and rolled his eyes, “Oh alright!”
A villager suddenly appeared at the hut door, “The cloud! It comes again!”
Kagome paled and InuYasha looked out the door, “He's right. I can see it coming this way.”
Nestra looked grim, “I will save who I can. You must return to your world Kagome. And not return. This is no longer a safe time for humans.”
She placed a paw on Kagome's shoulder, “Shippo will understand. He's rather have you in another world alive, then in his world dead. Even without a goodbye.” With that she swiftly left.
Kagome helped Kaede to her feet, “You must go now. InuYasha take her to the well. I'll grab some of her things then join you there.”
InuYasha looked like he wanted to protest but said nothing. After he left with Kaede, Kagome knelt beside Rin again, “I can help her Sesshomaru. But I must take her to my time.”
Sesshomaru's teeth barred slightly, “You will return her?”
The door mat flapped wildly in the wind making Kagome shuttered. She ran to the door and squinting into the darkness; she could see the black cloud looming closer.
Kagome spun back around, “You really want Rin to grow up here Sesshomaru? She could die if I bring her back!”
“I protected her before. I will do it again.”
Kagome shook her head, “You got lucky. I can't help next time. And what if you're not anywhere near here next time? Do you really think Jaken can protect her?”
“There are caves. Like the villagers she could hide.”
“Hide out in a cave her whole life? That's not a life Sesshomaru. Stop being so selfish! She could die!”
“Alright!” Sesshomaru snapped, his eyes glowing red. “Take her.”
Sesshomaru took Rin into his arm and he and Kagome quickly ran to the well. InuYasha frowned at the sight of his brother, “Don't tell me he's coming too!”
Kagome shook her head, “No. But Rin is. InuYasha take her. We have to go now.” InuYasha took the small girl from Sesshomaru's arm. Kagome was surprised to see a flash a pain in the older brother's golden eyes. InuYasha then took Kaede's hand and jumped into the well.
Sesshomaru grabbed Kagome's arm, “Take care of her” he said softly.
Kagome nodded, “I will. I promise.”
With that she jumped into the well.