InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Need You ❯ A Strange Discovery ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
 
Small recap…..
Rin placed all the papers on the floor and carefully looked at each one again. Her heartbeat sped up when she couldn't find one for her. “What the hell is going on?”
Scoping the papers up Rin noticed her mother's name; pulling the paper out Rin realized it was Kagome's birth certificate. Her eyes widened as she read it.
“Oh my god.”
 
CHAPTER TWELVE: A STRANGE DISCOVERY
 
Rin dropped the paper as if were on fire. Her heart pounded and she shook her head fiercely, “No, no, no, no. I must be imagining things again.”
Falling back on her butt she stared at the paper.
The very cautiously, as if afraid it would bite her, Rin picked the paper back up and read again, slowly.
Kagome Higurashi: Born: May 23, 1982. 7 pounds, 6 ounces. 22 inches long.
Rin struggled to breathe, her mother was born in 1982, 10 years later then she said. Her mother pretended to be 10 years older. Her mother....was Kagome even her mother?
Rin did a quick calculation in her head, “No...she's only 8 years olden then me. She can't be my mom!”
Rin's body shook; she wasn't sure if it was fear, shock, anger or all three combined.
Strange, how one piece of paper can make a person's entire world come apart.
Slowly getting to her feet, the paper clenched tightly in her fist, Rin walked like a zombie out of the attic and downstairs. Taking a deep breath to steady herself and her voice Rin entered the kitchen. Kagome was at the sink washing dishes and Miroku and Sango were no where in sight. Wanting to make sure they were alone Rin asked where they had gone.
“They went to go find your father” Kagome replied in a tight voice.
Rin frowned slightly, “My father? Is he even my father?”
Taking another deep breath Rin casually leaned against the counter, “Hey mom?”
“Yes?”
“What year did you get married to Dad?”
Kagome's body tightened slightly but she immediately relaxed, hoping Rin hadn't noticed her reaction.
She did.
“1990” Kagome replied lightly though her insides were in a tumult.
Rin held up the piece a paper she had nearly cried at the sight of and placed it on the counter, “How did Grandma feel about you getting married, when you were only 8?” she spit the last word out bitterly
Kagome froze, “What?” she whispered.
Rin snatched the certificate up again and went over to hold it in front of Kagome's face.
“This says you were born in 1982....only 8 years before you said you got married.”
Kagome sighed deeply, “Rin I-”
Rin stepped back shaking her head, “Don't even try. I'm tired of your lies. I heard you talking this morning. You've been hiding something from me, and you know that I've been dreaming about and remembering, don't you?!”
Kagome turned around, tears in her eyes, “Look Rin. Will you just stop for a moment? When your father-”
Rin scoffed and looked away.
Kagome closed her eyes, took a deep breath and tried again, “When InuYasha gets back. We'll talk.”
Rin nodded curtly, “We better. Cause you've got a hell of a lot explaining to do.” she turned and stormed out of the kitchen.
Racing outside Rin collapsed next to her tree. Her body trembling. She'd never spoken like that to Kagome before, and she felt horrible. But at the same time she felt justified; after all, the woman had been lying to her for the past 8 years. Right?
Leaning her back against the old tree she closed her eyes and desperately wished for the voice to come, the presence that calmed her fears and healed her soul.
I need you
 
A few hours later the side door opened and InuYasha came over to the tree. His handsome face was stern but his golden eyes looked sad, “Rin?” he said softly.
Rin looked up her eyes swollen and red; she had been sitting with her face buried in her knees and arms crying for the past hour. She didn't know what she was crying for, all she knew was she was in pain and she was angry.
Angry at Kagome and InuYasha for lying. Angry no one else told her the truth. Angry she had been tricked for 8 years. But mostly angry she hadn't figured it out before.
InuYasha held his hand out, “Will you come inside? I think it's time some things were explained.”
Rin watched him a moment before taking his hand and standing up. Walking to the house Rin glance over her shoulder and saw the little girl standing at the tree; she stood with the strange green toad-like man, and another. The man with the cold golden eyes. The little girl laughed and they disappeared.
Rin shook her head and followed InuYasha into the house.
Kagome was sitting on the couch, her hands pressed tightly together. InuYasha sat down next to her and Rin sat on the floor in front. Before Kagome or InuYasha could speak Rin jumped in, “I want to know who I really am and who you are and why you've been lying to me!”
Kagome and InuYasha exchanged glances and Kagome cleared her throat, “Well, as you've obviously found out, you're not our biological daughter.”
“Was I adopted?”
Kagome shook her head, “No...not exactly we-”
“Great!” Rin exclaimed and threw her arm up dramatically, “I was kidnapped! No wonder I block it out!”
“Shut up Rin!” InuYasha snarled.
Rin looked at InuYasha in surprise; he hardly snapped at her, if ever.
Kagome placed her hand on InuYasha's knee and looked at Rin, “I can't tell you what you want to know Rin if you keep interrupting me.”
Rin nodded and sat back.
“8 years ago, there was a terrible sickness, one that would have killed you. The man you were living with was worried for you safety so he sent you with me. To save you life.”
“Was this man my father?”
“No, not biologically. He took you in after your parents died.”
“What was his name? Is he still alive? Can I see him?”
Kagome looked at InuYasha but he just grunted and turned away. He hated lying to Rin, again. But it was the only way to keep her safe and away from him.
“I don't know his name, he never gave it. No, I don't think he's still alive, he was quite old when he left you to us and so you can't see him.”
Rin frowned thoughtfully, “But why did you lie about it? About everything?”
“We thought it would be easier for you, if we were your parents. And you were only 9, still a little girl.”
Kagome shrugged, “You didn't understand.”
“So you lied to me? Rin's voice came out harsh.
“I'm sorry Rin. I'm sorry we lied to you and that you feel so betrayed.” InuYasha finally spoke up, “But you must understand, we just wanted to protect you.”
Rin stood suddenly, “I...I'm going to go to bed....I just need to think about this.”
Kagome nodded and stood but Rin made no move to hug her. Hurt flashed across Kagome's faces but she smiled anyways, “Goodnight Rin”
“We'll talk again in the morning” InuYasha added.
Rin just nodded and headed up to her room; her mind swimming with even more questions.
 
Rin tossed and turned all night. Everything she had learned over the past few weeks flying through her mind.
“Rin”
Rin bolded straight up in bed; a cold sweat glistening on her skin. Taking deep breaths to calm her racing heart looked out of her window and at her tree. It stood still in the darkness, thought its branches swayed lightly in the wind.
Running her hands over her face she tried to recall what she'd been dreaming about. But all she could remember were golden eyes and a hard voice calling her name; the voice was cold enough to send shivers down ones back, but it brought a strange warmth to Rin.
And she wanted to know who he was.
Pulling the covers back she tiptoed across the room and opened the door, grabbing a jacket from the back of her chair. She was slowly past her parent's room and down to the back door. Carefully opening the old door she slipped outside and quickly made her way over to the tree.
Sighing deeply she sat on the cold ground and leaned against the large trunk.
“I'm so confused now” she whispered. “Everything I have ever known...is a lie. I feel so…angry…hurt that they never told me the truth. And I don't think they're telling me everything now. But it also frightens me.”
She closed her eyes as tears started to run down her face, “I just don't know what to do!” she cried hoarsely.
The tree branches creaked as the wind picked up slightly and Rin smiled. He was there. The voice, spirit or maybe it was just her imagination. Whatever or whoever, she needed him and was glad he'd come.
You are distressed” his cold voice stated.
Rin nodded then froze; his voice….it was the same that had called her name earlier, waking her from her haunted sleep.
“Who are you?” Rin whispered, “Why do you speak to me and no one else? Do you know who I am?”
 
Sesshomaru paused, and felt himself deeply tempted to tell her the truth, tell her everything. But as soon as that thought entered his mind he shoved it out. “Don't be foolish” he snarled to himself, “This Sesshomaru doesn't need anyone. Especially a human.”
He turned his attention back to the tree, back to her. “Why do you ask such questions?”
He heard her sigh, and could sense her tears, “My parents…” her voice hardened with that one word, “Have been lying to me. I'm not their real daughter, I'm not even adopted.”
Sesshomaru felt angered, “Stupid brother. Couldn't keep it a secret for long could you?”
I'm just some kid they took in when the man taking care of me couldn't protect meI guess. I don't even know if they're telling the truth, they could just be lying to me again.”
“Why would they have cause to do that, there is no need to keep lying to you.”
There was no need to lie to me in the first place!” Rin snapped but immediately she softened, “I'm sorry, I shouldn't take my anger out on you. You're not the one who did this to me.”
Sesshomaru scoffed at the irony, “You have no idea Rin” he thought silently, “You have no idea.”
“Tell me about the Bone-Eater's Well.”
Sesshomaru nearly jumped, “What?”
“Before, you said I could find the answers I need, in the Bone-Eater's Well. Where can I find it?”
Again the cold demon struggled to keep from telling her everything. It was getting harder and that bothered him greatly.
He stood suddenly and walked off, his silver hair flowing behind him.
 
Rin waited and then sighed in disappointment.
He had left.
“Why does he always leave when I mention that old well?”
She stood and brushed the dirt off her shorts. Wrapping her arms around herself she walked back to the house. She was almost to the door when she heard it; a child's giggle.
Rin groaned in frustration but instead of going inside she turned and saw a little girl standing by the tree. It was the same little girl.
Rin stood still and watch. A woman appeared and stood behind the child, her hands placed gently on her shoulders, “This is a very special tree Rin. Talk to it. Talk to him. And he'll hear you. I promise. And if you listen very carefully. You just might hear him.”
Rin's heart sped up as the woman turned; it was Kagome.
“Mom” Rin breathed.
“No! Let me go! I must return!”
Rin jerked around, the little girl was running away from the house, with Kagome and InuYasha right behind her, she was going towards the old broken-down shack that her parents always kept locked up. InuYasha grabbed the girl and held her in his arm and she struggled to free herself. Suddenly Rin felt herself in InuYasha's arms, her body flaying about wildly. Looking down she saw she was a little child. But she had no control of her action, or her voice.
Rin found herself screaming, “My lord will be angry if he cannot find me! Let me go!”
Kagome took Rin from InuYasha and looked into her eyes, “He won't be looking for you Rin.” Kagome said quietly, “He sent you with us. So you would be safer.”
Who? Who send me with you?!” Rin's mind cried but the words never formed on her lips.
Pushing past Kagome Rin ran into the old shack and down the steps. It was so dark Rin was sure she'd fall, but she didn't. Her child body finally fell at the base of an old wooden box, sobbing.
Kagome touched Rin's shoulder “Rin-”
“Let go of me!” Rin cried, “He will come! He always does!”
Kagome and InuYasha left Rin alone, crying pitifully on the floor.
This is my dreamthe one where I'm callinginto a well.”
Rin gasped and fell to the floor; she was at the back door again, in her own teenage body. Her whole body shook, and her heart pounded loudly in her chest.
There's a well in there. A well.”
Jumping to her feet she went back up to her room, this time not caring if she woke anyone up. Pulling an old book off of her shelve she flipped through it like her life depended in on.
Mom got so tired of hearing Gramp's stories; she made him put them into a book for each of us kids. Now, I'm glad she did. I know there's a story in here…..about…..a well.”
She stopped and stared at the page, her breath caught in her throat.
“The Bone-Eater's Well. Traditionally the well was used to dispose of demon's bones where after a few days they would disappear. But there have been stories that the well may have other unknown magical powers. It is said with the help of the Shikon Jewel, one can see another world, place and time.”
Rin thought back to when her mom first told Gramps to put the old tales into a book.
 
And so,if you have the true Jewel in your possession, you can travel through the well, to a places filled with demons and gods. A place where anything you thought was just a myth is true,a place-”
That everyone is tried of hearing aboutKagome cut in, “Grandpa, I thought you were going to tell true stories,not one's you little mind came up with.”
Grandfather sputtered as the grandchild giggled.
Kagome smiled, “Why don't you write these stories down Gramps?Make them into a book for the kids.”
Grandfather started to protest but with another look from his granddaughter he mumbledOh all right.”
“I wonder….if it's true. If Gramps was telling the truth. Have I come from somewhere else?
She's already remembering Kagome!InuYasha snarled, In fact, she's never really forgotten. Besides would it be so bad for her to know where she came from? To know why she's so different? She at least deserves that!
Rin let the book drop to floor, and surprisingly it fell shut and didn't bend the pages. Rin stood and started pacing her room. Finally she stopped and looked out her window, dawn was being to break. The old shack caught her eye, “Did I come through the well?”
 
Sunday morning she avoided InuYasha and Kagome and spoke to no one. She was either locked up in her room or out by the tree. Kagome went back to the principle's home and talked about Rin's suspension. She agreed to let Rin come back, on account of her flawless record.
Rin wasn't sure if she was grateful or annoyed. At home she could think by herself, but she still had her family tiptoeing about her. At school she was left alone, but was still the hottest gossip topic; especially after her fight with Etsuko. Rin gripped her backpack tightly and walked to her math class. She almost wished she could forget everything again, so she could concentrate on her test. Unfortunately the whole day was a blur.
When she got home Rin went straight to her room and fell on her bed.
She was stuck.
At a dead-end.
Part of her wished she was from the well, from some strange land. But the logical part of her knew it just wasn't possible. Gramp's stories were just stories. So where was she from?
Someone knocked softly at Rin's door and opened it, “Rin?”
Rin turned over to look at her `mother'.
“Yes?”
“Miroku, Sango, InuYasha and I are going out. Will you watch Yanna and Kit please?”
Rin nodded slightly and Kagome smiled, “Thanks, I've already got dinner started, just keep an eye on it. Okay?”
“Sure” Rin whispered.
She didn't trust her voice. Talking to Kagome just made her think about the lies, and she knew she would start to cry. In frustration, in anger and in pain.
Kagome looked like she wanted to say something else, but thought better of it, “Thanks honey. We'll see you tonight.”
She shut the door and Rin listened as her steps retreated down the stairs.
A while later Rin went down to give her siblings and herself some dinner. Yanna and Kit were jabbing at each other and talking loudly. Rin went into the living room and turned the T.V. trying to drown out the younger children's shouting. It was a screech from Kit that made Rin storm back into the kitchen.
“Give it back!”
“No! This one is mine!”
“No it's not stupid! Yours is in your room. This one is mine!”
“Don't call me stupid!”
Rin reached over and snatched the object of argument out of their hands before they could even blink.
“Hey!” they cried out in unison.
Rin just rolled her eyes, “Finish your dinner; than argue about….whatever this is.”
She held the trinket up and her eyes widened, “Where'd you get this?” she breathed.
Kit and Yanna exchanged glances, “We got it from Gramps” Yanna said, his face twisted up in curiosity. “Why?”
I've seen this before
“Do you know what this is?”
“Yeah!” Kit sat up straight in her chair, seemingly proud she knew something Rin didn't, “It's a replica of the Shikon Jewel. Gramps gave it to me.” She glared at her twin, “Yanna's is in his bedroom, but he won't believe me!”
Rin chuckled, “How can you tell the difference?”
“Easy, Yanna's is tinted blue, while mine is tinted pink. Like the real one.”
“The real one?” Rin echoed.
Kit giggled, “Of course silly. Gramps made mine just like the one momma's got.”
Rin's throat went dry, “Mom has one?” she whispered, “Just a replica right?”
Yanna shook his head, his thick dark hair flying about, “Nope. Hers is the real one. Don't you remember Gramps story?”
“No” Kit countered, “She wasn't here. She was at school when Gramps told us.”
“Told you what?” Rin didn't think she'd ever felt so sick in her life.
“He said mom was given the Shikon Jewel; a gift and for her to protect it from evil.”
Rin suddenly dropped the small ball on the counter and raced up the stairs. Running into her parents bedroom she tore through everything; shelves, desk, closet, dresser. Suddenly her eyes fell upon a small box, hidden in the very back of the closet. It was the only thing Kagome never shared with Rin. When Rin was younger and asked to see it Kagome gently refused and told her she needed to keep one secret. And that box held that secret. Pulling it down Rin sat on the edge of the bed and stared at the black box. It wasn't very big. It fit easily in the palm of her hand. It was covered with strange decorations and markings and small slits of silver. Rin frowned when she saw it needed a key to unlock. Groaning in frustration Rin took the box with her and went to her room. Sitting on her dresser she sat on the floor at stared at it. Wondering what was so important about the box that her mother won't show it to her, why it was lock, and hidden away.
The front door slammed and Rin jumped to her feet. Shoving the box into her top dresser drawer she raced out of her room and down the stairs.
“Souta!”
Souta turned and smiled at his niece, “Hey Rin, what have you been doing? You look like you've just run a marathon.”
Rin shrugged and smiled, “Nothing, you just startled me, so I ran down here. Why are you here?”
“Bored. Mom's out at some school meeting and I was home alone” he walked into the kitchen and Rin followed, “So I thought I'd come over here for a bit. Don't mind do you?”
Rin shook her head, “No, not at all.”
Souta started talking about school and what a pain college was. But Rin wasn't listening. She was staring at Kit's neck, or more accurately; she was staring at Kit's necklace. It was filled with different beads and shells, but at the end it had a key.
“A key” Rin breathed.
Souta stopped, “What?”
Rin ignored him and went to Kit; gently grabbing the key Rin held it up, “Kit, where did you get this?”
Kit smiled, “Mom gave it to me. Said it was a secret holder. And that I needed to take good care of it.”
Behind Rin Souta paled, “Oh no.”
Rin took a deep breath and smiled at her sister, “Kit, can I please borrow this?”
Kit shook her head gently, “I…I'm not supposed to let anyone have it.”
Rin bit her lip, “Of course not.”
“Well” Rin said slowly, “What if you came with me? I have something that I need to open, and I think you have the key to it. Please? You can hold on to the key and open it if you'd like.”
Souta shook his head at Kit but the small child didn't see him
“I guess I can do that” she said with a smile.
Rin took Kit's hand and headed for the stairs but Souta jumped in the way, “Hey, why don't you do that later Rin? I brought over some snacks and a movie.”
Rin frowned, “Later Souta, this is important.”
Souta stood his ground, “Come on Rin. Please come and watch the movie. It's a new one, just came out.”
Rin pushed past Souta, talking Kit with her, “Maybe later.”
Souta grabbed Rin's upper arm, “You don't know what you're doing!”
Rin turned back, “You know, do you?” she hissed.
Souta flinched but didn't release his grip, “Please Rin, don't do this.”
Rin ripped her arm free, “You can't stop me.”
She picked Kit up and walked up the stairs.
Souta slammed his fist into the wall, “Damn it!”
Rin sat Kit down on the bed and went over to her dressed; pulling the box out she handed it to Kit who looked at it with wide eyes, “That's mommy's secret box” she whispered.
Rin nodded, “Yes it is.”
“We're not supposed to look in there Rin. Mom said no.”
“Yes she did Kit, but mom's secret in here, is mine too.”
Kit eyed her sister suspiciously, “You promise?”
Rin crossed her heart, “I swear to you.”
Kit nodded happily, “Okay.”
She took the box from Rin's hands and slipped the key into the lock. It fit. She turned it slightly and they both heard it click.
Rin smiled and took the box back, “Thank you Kit.”
Kit pouted slightly at not being able to see inside but Rin reminded her it was Kagome's and Rin's secret. Kit nodded and hoped off the bed, “Can I go now?”
“Yes, shut my door on the way out.”
After Kit left Rin sat on her bed and stared at the box, as of afraid to lift the lid. Finally she breathed deeply and opened the box.
“Oh wow”
Inside nestled among a soft red cloth, lay the most beautiful jewel Rin had ever seen. It was the size of a large peal and seemed to glow with light. It was white, tinted with pink. Rin carefully picked the jewel and set the box on the bed.
“The Shikon Jewel” she breathed.
 
Meanwhile downstairs Souta was on the phone. “Hey Kagome….yeah I'm sorry it interrupt your night, but there's a problem….yes it's Rin….she found it….no, I'm serious. She found the jewel.”
 
A/N: PLEASE REVIEW!!!