InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Need You ❯ Where Or When ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
 
CHAPTER THIRTEEN: WHERE OR WHEN
 
Kagome closed her phone and turned to her friends and husband. Her eyes large and her face white; she looked like she was in shock.
Sango saw her face and frowned, “Kagome? What's wrong? Who was that?”
Miroku and InuYasha also turned their attention to Kagome.
“That…that was Souta” Kagome whispered, her heart racing, “He's over at the house.”
“Did something happen?” InuYasha asked.
Kagome looked at him, as though she was in a trance, “Rin. Rin found it.”
Miroku looked confused, “Found what?”
But InuYasha's eyes widened, “Oh no” he breathed, “She found the jewel”
Sango's head snapped around to look to InuYasha, “What?! You mean the Shikon Jewel?!”
Kagome nodded numbly, “Yes….Souta said she figured out Kit had the key and…” her voice trailed off. Suddenly her eyes snapped up, now sharp and bright, “We have to get home! We have to stop her!”
Kagome jumped up snatching her purse and coat, “If she's found the jewel, then she'll find about well.”
Everyone just stared at her, still in their own state of shock.
“MOVE!” Kagome snapped and they all jumped out of their seats.
Miroku paid for their meal while the women and InuYasha got the car.
Kagome climbed into the front while Sango got in the back. InuYasha pulled to a screeching halt in front of the restaurant and Miroku came rushing out.
“Step on it” Kagome said softly.
InuYasha just nodded and drove the car in the direction of their house. Kagome stared out the window, a silent prayer on her lips, “Pleasedon't let Rin do anything foolish.”
Rain started to pour like crazy, running off the windows and making it hard to see.
Oh please, let her stay here and be safe.”
 
Rin stared at the jewel in her hand; afraid it was just one of her hallucinations and any moment it would suddenly disappear from her hand. She held her breath, and waited.
The ticking from her clock told minutes had past, and the jewel still lay in her shaking palm.
I can'tI can't believe it. It's true. Gramps' story….was true.”
“Rin?”
Souta's voice snapped the girl out of her thoughts and she jumped to her feet. Walking quickly over to her door she locked it and pressed her back to the solid wood.
Souta knocked and tried to open the door, but instead found it locked. He felt slight panic raise, but he kept it out of his voice, “Rin? You in there? Come on down and watch the movie with us.
Rin felt her anger rise. How dare he. After everything that had happened, everything she was sure he knew and still kept it from her. And especially after what he'd said not long before; he still acted as though nothing had changed. Like nothing was wrong.
“But everything is” Rin muttered to herself.
She made no move to unlock her door; instead she walked over to her bed and gently placed the jewel back in the box. Grabbing her backpack she dumped all of her books and papers onto the floor. She then went to her dresser and pulled out clothes and started stuffing them into the bag.
Souta pressed his ear to the door, trying to hear what she was doing; but all he could hear was muffled movement and the occasional creak of the floor as Rin walked.
“Rin?” Souta tried again.
She didn't answer and Souta knew what she was doing.
“Rin, please don't do this! Talk to me. Please!” He knew he sounded desperate but at this point he didn't care. “RIN!”
Rin finished pack her bag and zipped it up.
Souta was still calling to her, yelling, begging and pleading. Knowing she couldn't just walked out the door she hid her bag and school things under her bed and went over to her dresser; pulling the bottom bored off she placed the jewel's box underneath the bottom drawer back into the darkness and then put the bored back into place. It had always been her favorite hiding place when she was a child; no one but the voice from the tree knew about. Satisfied everything was hidden Rin finally went over to the door, unlocked it and swung it open, “What shouldn't I do Souta?” she asked simply.
Souta stared at her, “Don't play games with me Rin” he said quietly.
Rin stepped forward and pulled her door shut firmly behind her, “I don't know what you're talking about. Unless, there's something you have to tell me?”
Souta looked at her in surprise then shook his head slowly, “No. I have nothing to say.”
Rin grinned, “Good, then let's go and watch the movie with the twins.”
Rin turned and walked back down the stairs, leaving Souta to stare after her in worry, and confusion.
 
InuYasha had barely put the car into park before Kagome flew out of the car and went inside. InuYasha turned the car off and he and his other two companions of the night followed him inside. Kagome heard the T.V. as soon as she walked in, so she headed straight for the living room. Souta and Rin were sitting side by side with Yanna and Kit respectively in their laps. Souta was the only one still awake.
He looked up when Kagome entered the room and smiled slightly, “Hey” he whispered.
Kagome knelt in front of her little brother, “What happened?”
Souta shrugged, “Nothing. She hasn't said anything. And I didn't think it'd be a good idea for me to bring it up. So we just watched a movie.”
Kagome sighed deeply and hung her head, “Thank God.”
She and Souta both looked up when the others entered and Kagome pressed a finger to her lips, “Shh…they're all asleep.”
Miroku raised his eyebrows, silently asking the question that was on all their minds. Kagome shook her head and they all breathed a sigh of relief.
For now anyways” Kagome thought as she looked down at Rin's peaceful sleeping face.
Souta took Kit while Miroku grabbed Yanna and carefully carried the sleeping children up to their beds. InuYasha took of his wet coat and set it on the chair before picking Rin up bridal style and carrying her up the stairs.
Placing her in her bed, he pulled the covers up to her chin and watched her a moment.
“Oh Rin” he murmured, “How I wish we could tell you the truth.” He leaned down and gently kissed her forehead, “But this is for your own good. I'm sorry.”
He turned and shut the door, not realizing Rin was still very much awake, and heard every word InuYasha had said. Rin sat up in her bed, tears forming in her eyes, “Why can't you just tell me?”
 
Hours past and Rin was sure everyone was back in bed. Quietly slipping out of her covers she pulled her backpack out from under her bed and retrieved the black box from the dresser. After she pulled a black sweatshirt over her head she shouldered her backpack and with the little black box in hand she went down the stairs.
Rin took one last look around her house from the entry way and sighed softly. She was going to miss being there, but she had to find out were she was from. She looked at the box, “Or when.”
She had left a note on the counter telling her mother she left early for Linda's house, knowing that'd buy her enough time to get far away.
She just didn't realize how far.
Rin softly pulled the front door closed and walked across the courtyard.
“Rin”
Rin whipped around; she saw no one there but found herself facing the old shack. The shack where the well was supposed to be.
Rin shook her head, “Don't be an idiot. There's no way. Even if there is a well in there, it's not going to take you anywhere but down. Down into a big and dark hole.”
Yet as hard as she tried Rin couldn't shake the feeling she needed to go inside. Finally she groaned loudly in frustration, “Alright!” she snapped aloud and walked over to the shack.
It was still locked.
Reaching into her jeans pocket Rin pulled up a key. The same one Kit had previously worn around her neck. Rin felt bad for taking the key while the little girl was sleeping, but this was important. Even though the chances of it fitting into this lock where slim to none.
“Oh what the hell” Rin muttered.
Squeezing her eyes shut she shoved key into the lock and tried to turn it. She almost cried out loud when it turned and she heard a soft click.
Kit wasn't kidding when she said this thing was a secret holder.”
Tucking the key back into her pocket Rin slipped inside the old shack and closed the door behind her. Squinting into the dark she could make out a flight of stairs that led into darkness. “The well must be down there.”
Rin walked carefully down the stairs, and felt as if she'd made the walk before. “You have” her mind reminded her, “Remember? When you were a childin your dream.”
Rin stopped at the bottom of the steps and stared at the wooden box in front of her. It was about 4 ft by 4 ft and about 3 ft tall. Standing next to it, Rin peek into it and all she saw was black. “I must be insane” she thought as she climbed on top of the old wood, “This thing looks like it's gonna fall apart any minute.”
Nevertheless she closed her eyes and tried to concentrate. Tried to find something familiar about being there, something that would help her.
The first lights of the day started to peek through the walls and Rin sighed in annoyance and disappointment, “I can't believe I'm even doing this. I could be miles away by now. And what am I doing? Standing on the edge of an old rotting well, waiting for a sign!”
She sighed deeply and again and looked back into the dark well, “I guess you were a hunch that just didn't pan out. Though, I could try jumping in. Gramps said you need the jewel to help-” she shook her head fiercely and wobbled slightly on the ledge, “No! This is so stupid. I can't believe I'm even thinking about this.”
She looked up to the sky, “Forget it!” she barked aloud and turned to step down but the wood under her groaned and cracked, causing Rin to lose her footing.