InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Need You ❯ Returning Home ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: RETURNING HOME
 
Kagome stood outside her makeshift hut and stared at the forest. It'd been over a week and she was starting to worry that Sesshomaru wouldn't bring Rin back.
InuYasha, Shippo and Miroku had rounded up the men of the nearby caves to cut wood and start new huts. Sango and Kagome gathered the woman to hunt for food and seeds to start planting. While Adena tended after the children.
They had all been hard and the village was starting to look decent.
Adena come to Kagome's side, “Stop worrying Kagome. She's safe with him. That Dog Lord would rather lose another limb then let her be hurt.”
Kagome sighed, “I know….but it's not her safety I'm worried about” she looked at the Whisperer, “What if he doesn't bring her back?”
Adena smiled, “Would that be so bad?”
Kagome looked at her in shock, “Are you serious? It's not safe for her here!”
“Why? Everything that threatened her and lead up to you taking her with you all those years has been destroyed. She's belongs here Kagome, this is her home. This is where she was born. This time, not yours.”
Kagome sighed deeply and turned back to the forest. She knew Adena was right; she just couldn't bring herself to say it.
Over the years Kagome had come to love Rin as if she really were her own daughter, her first born child. The thought of leaving her behind was painfully, yet Kagome knew, deep down, it was the right thing.
“She….she can choose” she murmured before going back inside.

Rin walked as slow as she could, dragging her feet every step of the way. She tried to keep her tears from falling, but was failing miserably.
What's wrong with me?” she scolded herself, “I was fine before I meet him.”
But that was when you didn't remember him. And you didn't know you loved him.”
Love? I've known the guy for like a month and a half, how can I call this love?”
It was what destroyed Jyrana wasn't it? Your love? It brought you back from the edge of death.”
But why?”
 
Sesshomaru watched Rin out of the corner of his eye. Just as she was having an inner battle, Sesshomaru was at war with his own feelings. But he pushed them aside; ignoring the yelling, annoying voice in his head that sounded a lot like Adena.
Rin's steps were so slow it would take them days to get to the well. Sesshomaru almost told her to hurry but changed his mind. Rin was already crushed Sesshomaru was making her leave; to imply he wanted her gone faster would only hurt her more. And besides, he wanted to spend every last minute he could in her company.

InuYasha lifted his head and sniffed the air. Growling slightly he ran over to his and Kagome's hut and stuck his head in, “Sesshomaru and Rin are coming.”
Sango and Kagome scrambled to their feet and rushed outside. They waited at the end of the village and soon Sesshomaru come into the clear; Rin was right behind him with head down and her arms crossed over her chest.
InuYasha frowned, “What's wrong with Rin?”
Kagome ran up to Rin and threw her arms around her; praying Rin shouldn't shy away from her.
She didn't.
Rin put her arms around Kagome and started sobbing into her shoulder, “Oh momma.”
InuYasha got right in Sesshomaru's face, “What did you do to her!” he demanded.
“I told her she could not stay with me. And it has brought her distress.” Sesshomaru said with a cold face, but inside he was aching for making Rin hurt.
“Humph” InuYasha growled and touched Kagome's shoulder, “Take her inside and let's pack our things.”
He glared at Sesshomaru, “It's time to go home.”

Several hours later after the gang said goodbye to the villagers and packed whatever belongings they had, they stood at the well to say their last goodbyes.
Adena had already left them at the village, saying her work was done.
Sango handed Shippo her Hiraikotsu with a sad smile, “Who knows” she whispered, “Maybe we can all come back again someday.”
“Why can't you all stay here? Or come and visit?” Shippo said softly
Kagome looked around and smiled sadly, “I'm sorry Shippo, but…it's just better if we stay in our time. We all have lives there. And the Jewel has to be put away, to protect everyone.” She glanced at Rin who was standing with InuYasha, her head resting on his shoulder, “It's just for the best. Please understand.”
Shippo gave her a hug, “I do. I'm just going to miss you so much.”
Tear sprang into Kagome's eyes, “We'll miss you too. But I'm glad we got to say goodbye this time.”
Miroku gave Shippo his staff and InuYasha looked down at his sword, “I can use it now, maybe I should take it with me.”
Kagome laughed, “And who are you going to protect us against? The mailman?”
Everyone chuckled and even Rin managed a small smile.
“Are you still here?”
Everyone turned to see Sesshomaru walking to them slowly.
InuYasha snarled, “Why are you here? Don't you have some demons to intimidate?”
Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow, “I have come to make sure you leave with Rin.”
Rin flinched.
InuYasha tightened his grip on her, “Leave Sesshomaru, can't you see your only hurting Rin?”
Sesshomaru's golden eyes flickered over to Rin's face. She looked miserable.
“This is for the best” he said softly.
Rin suddenly threw her arms around Sesshomaru's waist and buried her face in his chest. “I just want to say goodbye” she whispered.
She pulled a silver bracelet off her wrist, “And to give you this.”
InuYasha raised an eyebrow when he recognized it as the one he had found on the floor of the well house. As soon as they found Rin he gave it back; knowing it was very special to her.
Sesshomaru didn't move and so Rin pulled his hand out and placed the silver in his palm.
“Don't forget me”“
She turned and walked back to her family.
InuYasha approached his brother, “I have one question.”
“And what is that?”
“Why are you making her leave? It's obvious you have feelings for her. Is it because she's a human? Or something else?”
Sesshomaru turned his cold gaze on him, “It has nothing to do with her being human” he said softly, “I protected her as a child, she has no need for that protection now.”
InuYasha frowned “That's what you think.”
“You can't pass through without the Shikon Jewel or Kagome's miko powers” InuYasha said looking at his brother, “Rin won't be able to come back on her own.”
Sesshomaru nodded stiffly, “Good.”
Everyone grabbed their things and InuYasha tightly gripped his sword; watching his brother closely.
“Let's go” Kagome said and they all jumped into the well.
The last image Sesshomaru had of Rin; was her tear-streaked face.

Sesshomaru walked back to his castle. It would have been more efficient to ride his cloud, but he wanted to walk, just as he had always done with Rin.
When he finally reached the castle, Jaken came running out, “You have returned my lord!” he cried. “Has the girl returned to her world?”
“Yes”
“I'm am glad sir! She was such a loud creature and-”
“Jaken, be quite.”
Jaken shut his mouth and Sesshomaru walked past him “And Jaken”
“Yes milord?” the imp squeaked.
“Do not speak of her again.”
“Yes milord.”
Sesshomaru went up to his room and sat down at his desk. Looking down he realized he still held the silver bracelet in his hand.
Don't forget me
With a roar that was not of this world, Sesshomaru threw the trinket across the room and slammed his fist down on his desk.

Rin walked numbly through her house. She was home, and yet it felt so foreign.
She let her backpack drop to the floor and fell down on her bed. Sighing deeply she tried to check the tears again.
“This is getting so dumb!” she cried aloud and covered her face with her hands, “Why does it hurt so much?”
“Because you're in love”
Rin sat up quickly, “Adena?”
Adena sat down on Rin's bed and smiled, “It hurts when you are taken from the one you love, even if you don't truly realize you love him.”
“I don't want to love him!” Rin cried, “It hurts too much.”
“Don't push it away Rin. Embrace it!”
“Why? He doesn't even want me! Why am I falling in love with something I can not have?”
“Rin….were you happy before?”
Rin sniffed and whipped her tears away, “Yeah.”
“Completely?”
She hesitated, “I….No. Not exactly” she whispered, “I always felt like I was missing a part of me.”
“Unless you were at the Tree.”
Rin's eyes widened, “That was him?”
“Yes.”
“But how?”
Love is a powerful thing Rin; you found that out when Jyrana was destroyed. It will conquer any thing you throw at it, as long as you do not fear it.”
“So I have to live my life; in love with someone who's not even in my time?”
“Time can never change true love. What is meant to be; will always find a way to be.”
“You said that…after Jyrana died.”
“Yes” Adena whispered “You've heard it. Now believe it.”
A door slammed downstairs and jerked Rin awake.
I was dreaming?”
“Rin!”
Yanna and Kit came running into her room and jumped on her, “You're home. You're home. You're home!” they shouted.
Rin laughed and gave them each a hug, “Hey guys. I missed you too.”
“Linda's been looking all over for you. She's really not happy that you haven't called” Yanna said with a smile.
Rin groaned and rolled her eyes.
Explaining her absence to Linda would be interesting.
“Okay, out you go. I need to get dressed.”
She shooed them out and locked the door. Grabbing her towels she went into the bathroom to take a long and hot shower and wash everything away; dirt, blood and hopefully the pains of a broken heart.

Some time later Rin walked into her room and over to her dresser; looking at her mirror she sighed.
Most of her injuries had healed. Only a deep cut over her right eyebrow and a light green bruise on her chin gave away what she'd been through.
Pulling on a pair of jean cut offs and a T-shirt when made her way downstairs to find some food.
She had he head stuck in the refrigerator when someone yelled her name. Jumping slightly she hit her head on the door and swore softly.
“You're back!”
Rin had barely turned around before Linda wrapped her arms around her and held her tightly.
“Hey Linda” Rin muttered.
Linda pulled back, “`Hey Linda'? You've been gone for like two months, without letting me know you were leaving and all I get is a `Hey Linda'?”
Rin half smiled, “Miss me?”
“Yes!” Linda yelled.
“Where'd you go?”
“Oh…I uh…”
“She was visiting family out of town” InuYasha walked into the kitchen, a baseball cap pulled over his head.
Linda's eyes widened, “InuYasha! Your hair!”
InuYasha grumbled under his breath as he rummaged through the cupboards.
“Yeah…I decided to sport a new look. Did it while when we went to get Rin.”
Rin chuckled slightly and shook her head, “Looking for something Dad?”
“Ramen.”
Rin reached behind her and handed him a bowl.
He flashed a smile, “Thanks honey.”
Linda's eyes became even larger, “Do you have FANGS?”
InuYasha's smile quickly disappeared, “No” he mumbled through closed lips.
Rin just rolled her eyes and dragged Linda up to her room. “Don't even ask.”

InuYasha went up to his room and found Kagome sitting on the bed, drying her hair, “How are you feeling?” he asked with a mouthful of ramen.
Kagome glared but then she giggled, “How did Linda take your new look?”
InuYasha rolled his eyes, “Let's not talk about that.”
He sat cross legged on the bed behind her and watched her brush her hair.
“Did we do that right thing?” Kagome finally whispered.
“What do you mean?”
Kagome turned to look at him, “Should we have left her there? I mean, it was where she was born.”
“Where would she go Kagome?”
“As much as I hate to say it…but Ses-”
InuYasha shook his head, “He sent her away. He thinks she's safer here then there. If we let her go back, he'll just drop her right back in the well again.”
Kagome sighed and scooted to sit next to him. Placing her head on his chest and sighed, “I just wish it didn't have to hurt her so much.”
InuYasha put the ramen down and wrapped his arms around his wife, “I know. Me too.”

“You're coming to school tomorrow right?”
Rin looked up from her school books, “What's today?”
“Wednesday”
“Oh.”
She glanced down at her book and groaned inwardly. She had missed so much in school.
“I dunno Linda. I was gone for a while. And I didn't take my books with me.”
Linda's jaw dropped, “Rin! Why not!”
Rin wanted to blurt out, “Your try lugging a backpack full of heavy books across the Feudal Era. With demons chasing you and crazy half-fallen beings trying to steal your soul; they're not exactly the most ideal accommodations!”
Instead she just sighed and shrugged, “I didn't think about.”
Linda rolled her eyes and took the book from Rin's lap. “Well then we've got a lot of catching up to do.”
Rin smiled half-heartedly and pulled out her notebook.

The Dog Demon stood at his window stared out into the night sky. Growling to himself he turned and left the room. With his shadow gone, the moonlight reflected on the silver lying on the floor.

A/N: PLEASE REVIEW