InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Wanted to Make a Long Title That Had No Real Connection to the Story and Here It Is ❯ Chapter 7

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 7
 
Frodo was walking down the stairs back to where the camp site was. He had just met Galadriel at the mirror, and she had shown him the possible fate of The Shire. Not that he didn't want to help the other hobbits, but he was afraid. Afraid that he would lose something or someone along the way. And he wasn't sure he could deal with that.
 
Upon arriving at the camp, he was heading towards his bed roll when he heard a muffled thrashing. After checking the hobbits, he checked the two rangers, and found who he was looking for. Kagome was rolling around in her bed roll, sweating, as if having a bad dream. Frodo walked up to her and lightly touched her shoulder.
 
“Kagome.” He called silently, trying to only wake up her, and no one else. When she didn't wake, he called again. This time a little bit louder and shook her shoulder a bit more harshly. After that attempt at waking her, she did rouse, and slowly opened her eyes to find the hobbit in front of her.
 
“Thanks.” She said softly before turning on her side a grabbing the pipe that she borrowed from Aragorn and a small bag of Longbottom Leaf. She stood up and went outside and started smoking.
 
Frodo followed after her seeming as he has nothing else to do. Sitting down next to her, they were in a comfortable silence for a few minutes before he decided to ask a question. “How did you meet them?”
 
“Who?” Kagome asked lighting her pipe, watching the pipe weed go up in flames before inhaling deeply. When she exhaled, she blew a circle of smoke. Frodo watched her smoke for another moment before responding to her question.
 
“Everyone, Haldir, Gandalf, Aragorn, everyone.” She looked thoughtful for a minute, like trying to decide how to explain it to him. After a couple more seconds, she spoke again.
 
“I'm guessing that this would be easier to understand if I start from somewhere near the beginning. I had just turned seventeen two weeks prior.” She said softly.
 
----
 
Kagome had been going about her daily business, as she usually did. Waking up, putting on some long dress that almost made her fall down the stairs everyday, eating breakfast with her mother. But strangely, today didn't feel like normal. Today was different from all yesterdays. There was a banquet that evening, and she knew that she should be nervous for that, she was that guest of honor's `date'. Somewhere in the back of her mind she new today was going to change her life forever. And she would never have a normal `today' again.
 
She shrugged it off, choosing instead to go find the elf being honored. After successfully getting up the first half of the steps without dying by way of her dress, she had found him, walking down the steps quietly. Kagome picked up her dress and ran up to him.
 
“Haldir?”
 
“Yes.” He answered still looking like he was deep in thought.
 
“Why do I have to go to the banquet?” Haldir turned to her and paused a minute.
 
“Because if I have to wither in misery for the evening, so will you.”
 
“That's wonderful,” she said sarcastically, “be nice to your friend why don't you.”
 
“I am, if I didn't invite you, and if you didn't accept, which you did so there is no way you can back out of going now, you wouldn't have been allowed to come.”
 
“So if I fall deathly ill, I still have to come?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Get my stomach ripped out by an orc?”
 
“Of course.”
 
“Get called away by Galadriel?”
 
“Why would you get called away by Galadriel?”
 
“I don't know just answer the question.”
 
“No, I suppose not.”
 
And the two walked in a comfortable silence down the rest of the stairs and to their living quarters to get ready for the evening.
 
-----
 
Kagome turned to Frodo, “The great thing was, during his acceptance speech, I was called away Galadriel.” Frodo looked at her, “I don't really like why I was called away, but, I didn't have to sit through the entire banquet.” Frodo nodded his head, understanding what she had told him so far. “Galadriel told me to look into the basin like I'm assuming she did to you. What did you see Frodo?”
 
“The Shire, it was being destroyed.”
 
----
 
“I know what you see. And that's why I've called you here. In three years time, a band of orcs will come, and they will kill your mother if you are not here to stop it.”
 
“But, I'll always be here.” Kagome said confused. She had never left Lothlórien, and was never planning to leave, she just didn't see why it was possible that she wouldn't be here.
 
“In order to stop this small company of orcs, you have to train. And to train, you must leave. No one here can teach you what you need to know; only outsiders can. You must go to the Hills of Evendim. There you will find the person that you need to find. The journey there will be trying, and when you find him he will not go easy on you. In order to learn everything, but still get back in time, you must leave tomorrow.”
 
“Do I have to wear these types of clothes again?” Kagome asked suspiciously. Not that she didn't like to wear these types of things, it just gets really tiring after while. Besides, pants were more comfortable.
 
-----
 
Kagome went to her pack and grabbed the packet of Longbottom leaf from her pack and came back out to make her self comfortable and to continue her tale. “I left the next day. My mother was scared out of her mind, and all I told her was that I would be back in roughly three years. She didn't want me to go, worried about my safety, but I wanted to go for her safety.
 
“Haldir was a different story. After I explained the situation to him, he agreed to keep watch over my mom so that she wouldn't do anything stupid while I was gone and make all my training go to waste.
 
“Anyway, I left and reached the hills in under a month, good time for an elf who's never traveled across country before. The only hard thing about the trip was getting him to agree.
 
----
 
“No.” The older man turned and walked to the mouth of the cave.
 
“Why not?” Kagome questioned following after him.
 
“Because you won't be able to handle it.” He faced her and spoke.
 
“Who says I won't?”
 
“I do.”
 
“Well you're wrong, I can take whatever it is you throw at me, and I won't complain about it.” The older man turned to look at her. His gaze was unrelenting as he sized her up.
 
“No complaining?”
 
“None.”
 
“And as soon as you're done here you leave.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
-----
 
“So he trained me. It was hard at first, but started to get easier as time went. And after a year my training was done and I kept to my promise and left. That was my first mistake. Not days after I had left I went back to retrieve a necklace that had been given to me by my mother.” When she said that, Kagome reached around her neck and took off a necklace that had been unnoticeable till now and handed to Frodo. Frodo examined it before handing it back to her. “He had been attacked by a band of Uruk-hai and was killed for there was too many of them.”
 
Frodo turned towards the woman ranger. “What was his name?”
 
“Sesshomaru.” She answered quietly.
 
For several minutes they sat in silence. Frodo patiently awaiting the rest of her tale, knowing that she had to think things through first.
 
“The quickest way for me to get back to Lothlorien was to go through Rivendell.” Kagome started suddenly. “On my way through the city I met Elrond, Elladan and Elrohir, and Arwen. If you've heard your Uncle's story about his trip, you'll know that he traveled with a bunch of dwarfs.” When Frodo nodded her head she continued, “I became very good friends with the dwarf, Bombur. I also met your Uncle briefly, but we would meet again after that.
 
“I had spent so much time in Rivendell that I lost track of what the date was. When I discovered it, I learned I had a month to get back to Lothlorien. So as quickly as I could I returned to my place of origin. I had made it in just enough time, and dispersed of the Orcs in short time. When I went to go check on my mother, it turned out that only one orc made it past my defense, and killed her when I entered the room. I, of course, slaughtered that orc, but sank into depression after her death.
 
----
 
Haldir knocked on the door to his friends room. “Kagome, you have to eat something! You haven't eaten in two days!” When he didn't get any response he sighed heavily. When that girl wanted to be stubborn, she was stubborn! The elf left the food next to door and went to go about his daily business.
 
A couple hours later Haldir came back to discover the tray of food gone. Wondering if she had actually taken the food he was about to knock on the door again when he heard voices from the inside.
 
“What do you want?” He heard Kagome's voice say so quietly that he almost couldn't hear her.
 
“I just wanted to sit, is that ok?” That was Galadriel! Why was she in there?
 
“Are you gonna make me do anything?”
 
“No.”
 
“Then you're fine.” Kagome told her. And all talking ceased.
 
-----
 
“After a while, I started talking to her and I came out of my depression easily. Started eating again. Finally took a shower. Now looking back on it, I didn't take a bath for over two weeks. Oh, I don't know how I survived. I was quite stupid then.”
 
Frodo chuckled at her blatant declaration of being foolish when she was younger and Kagome laughed with him. Their laughter stopped after a couple minutes and Kagome continued with a lighter heart.
 
“I left right after I got better, not being able to stand being in a place where such memories haunted me. The first thing I decided to do was go and find a sword smith. I found one, he was senile.”
 
----
 
“I would like you to make me a sword.” Kagome said slowly.
 
A what?”
 
“A sword.” Really how stupid could an old man be? It's not that hard, it's his profession!
 
“Why are you asking me?”
 
“Because the sign outside your shop says `Sword Smith'.” She snapped.
 
“When did I become one of those?”
 
“If I'm not gonna get any help here I'm going elsewhere.” Kagome muttered turning around, starting to leave the shop. Seriously, how could a man forget what his job was?
 
“Sorry missy. It's in my nature to joke around.” That got her turned around. “What style would you like?”
 
“I don't know, I need to find something that won't easily break.”
 
“Large or small?”
 
“Probably something large, with some weight so I have leverage.”
 
“How much do you weigh?”
 
-----
 
“That conversation lead to me getting the sword I have now.” Kagome motioned behind her at the sword lying next to her bed roll. Frodo glanced back at the large piece of weaponry before looking back at Kagome. “That really was the craziest idiot I ever met. He's a good man though.
 
“Anyway, after that I avoided Lothlorien as much as possible, and it turned out that I hadn't had the need to return until now. I don't quite remember what year it was, but just after Bilbo returned home to the Shire, I actually met Gandalf for the first time.
 
----
 
Kagome walked down the halls of Rivendell. The twins and Arwen were talking with Elrond about some family business so she was left to her own devices. For the time being she was just walking through the hallways looking for a good place to read. After several minutes of walking she found one, and set down comfortably to read her book.
 
Not a hour later a tall man in grey sat down next to her. “Hello.” He said.
 
“Hi.”
 
“What would a young elf doing out here at this time of day?” The elderly man set down his staff and turned towards her.
 
“Is it really that late?” She asked, looking for some sort of indicator about what time it was. She didn't really want to be called an elf. It was quite obvious that she was only half, and she wanted to be recognized as just that.
 
“It happens to be past dark.”
 
“I guess I was so ingrosed in my book I didn't notice. Thank you for informing me.” Kagome said politely.
 
“Isn't there somewhere you need to be?” The elderly man asked standing up.
 
“No, I'm sort of floating around right now.” She shrugged. It was true, she wasn't expected anywhere and she had all the time in the world to do whatever.
 
“Well then, since you don't have anywhere to be and I don't have anywhere to be, let's just talk.”
 
“Sounds good.” Kagome replied also standing and handing the man his staff. “Kagome.” She introduced herself.
 
“Gandalf the Grey at your service.” He told her.
 
“You mean Gandalf the Wizard?”
 
“Precisely.”
 
-----
 
“Following that, we traveled together a lot.”
 
“Where?” Frodo asked.
 
“Anywhere, we had no agenda.” She shrugged. “During one of those times he suddenly announced that he had to go meet someone, and me being the generous person I am, offered to go with him. Turns out we went to go meet Aragorn. We became fast friends, and when Gandalf had to go somewhere where I couldn't come, I would spend time with Aragorn. At some point in time when we stayed together, I started being called a ranger at Taverns we stayed at, and it kinda stuck.”
 
----
 
Kagome and Aragorn were walking into a tavern when a conversation caught their attention.
 
“There go those two damn rangers again.” Kagome smirked at Aragorn before racing up to the room that they had rented for the night.
 
“What was that look about?” Aragorn asked as he entered the room and closed the door.
 
“That means that people see me as a ranger, so we now have the same status.” Kagome said sitting on the window sill. That became a usual routine for them. When ever they rented a room, Kagome would go straight for the window sill and Aragorn would go for the table that was usually there, and most times they wouldn't even talk, just sat in a comfortable silence.
 
Today that was not the case. “I hate you.” Aragorn said getting his pipe out.
 
“Of course you do, you always have.” Kagome grinned. Aragorn just shook his head and started smoking.
 
-----
 
“When we parted ways for a while was about thirteen years ago. And since I had no where I was expected to be, I went back to Rivendell. During my stay that time I met your uncle. He probably doesn't remember me now, but we had much fun. Almost too much fun as Elrond put it. We drank the entire night and slept for an entire day. Some of the most fun I'd had in ages.”
 
As Frodo waited for her to continue, he thought back to his uncle Bilbo. What she described them doing sounded just like something that he would do.
 
“Two years, I think it was before I met you, I left Rivendell to find Gandalf again. And I found him. He was researching a ring. Looked really boring to me, but he still explained it to me and told me to follow him, but lay low. And you should know the rest of the story.” Kagome finished the shortened version of her past and Frodo yawned. “Darn it. I kept you from your sleep the entire night. I'm sorry Frodo. I'll try and convince the fellowship to let you sleep till noon.” Frodo nodded and slowly got up and started walking to his bedroll.
 
Legolas quickly returned to his bed roll from where he was sitting listening to Kagome's tale. Knowing her she probably won't have minded, but it was better to be safe then sorry. As soon as he lied down, Frodo walked in and laid down in his bed, falling asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.
 
Unknown to all three of them, there were two more sets of ears listening in on their conversation.
 
 
Well, I finished this chapter on the 8th and I've only been waiting for more reviews. Not very many have I gotten. Anyways, I figured out how to draw a chibi Deidara and Itachi. I'm happy. Have a good week.
Bruce n' Charlie